scott76

Dual Citizenship for the US Citizen after marriage?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Just curious if any USC has obtained dual citizenship after the whole K-1/marriage process?

I realize every country's policies are different, but I'd love to hear what the requirements were for you to obtain your dual citizenship. Are other country's requirements similar to the US (citizenship via marriage)?

K1 Process -

1/30/12 - I-129F sent

2/2/12 - NOA1 Received (CSC)

2/3/12 - Visa App Fee Check Cashed

6/18/12 - NOA2 Email Received at 9PM MST

6/22/12 - NOA2 Letter Received in Mail

7/11/12 - NVC Received

7/13/12 - NVC Sent Case to Moldova Embassy

7/18/12 - Packet 3 dropped off to Embassy

7/19/12 - Packet 3 & 4 Instructions Received from Embassy

7/23/12 - Medical Exam Passed

7/27/12 - Interview

8/4/12 - POE Denver, CO

9/14/12 - Wedding #1 (Denver Courthouse)

9/17/12 - AOS/EAD sent

9/19/12 - AOS/EAD NOA1

10/23/12 - Biometrics

1/16/23 - AOS Interview

6/15/13 - Wedding #2 (Colorado)

6/22/13 - Wedding #3 (Moldova)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~Not a K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures question, moving to General Immigration-Related Discussion~~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

It depends on the originating country. If the original country supports dual citizenship, then it works. The USCIS will not require to give up the other citizenship. I legally kept my other citizenship (Swiss) after becoming USC. I also asked the Swiss consulate and they confirmed its correct.

Is my understanding The USA doesn't not support dual nationality

Here is more about the topic....

http://travel.state....s/cis_1753.html

Edited by DoneWaiting

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The US had no laws prohibiting or allowing dual citizenship. Sine it is not prohibited by law, a person can have more than one citizenship.

My prior statement was cleared. The United States of America does not support dual nationality. This means, it is allow for an individual who has become nationalize citizen to maintain his/her nationality. You could even have Triple citizenship based on your family status. However, due to the complex and the laws involve with/in every country, the US does not encourage its citizen to maintain other nationalities.

On the flip side, some countries other than the USA do not support duo nationality..

The US had no laws prohibiting or allowing dual citizenship. Sine it is not prohibited by law, a person can have more than one citizenship.

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Thanks but that really doesn't answer my topic :(

I have married my wife who is Moldovan (she came on a K-1 Visa), and I am possibly interested in getting a Moldovan passport along with my US passport. I know the US doesn't encourage dual citizenships but it also doesn't outlaw them.

So my question is - has anyone taken their spouse's country's passport after getting married? if so, what requirements did you have to meet?

K1 Process -

1/30/12 - I-129F sent

2/2/12 - NOA1 Received (CSC)

2/3/12 - Visa App Fee Check Cashed

6/18/12 - NOA2 Email Received at 9PM MST

6/22/12 - NOA2 Letter Received in Mail

7/11/12 - NVC Received

7/13/12 - NVC Sent Case to Moldova Embassy

7/18/12 - Packet 3 dropped off to Embassy

7/19/12 - Packet 3 & 4 Instructions Received from Embassy

7/23/12 - Medical Exam Passed

7/27/12 - Interview

8/4/12 - POE Denver, CO

9/14/12 - Wedding #1 (Denver Courthouse)

9/17/12 - AOS/EAD sent

9/19/12 - AOS/EAD NOA1

10/23/12 - Biometrics

1/16/23 - AOS Interview

6/15/13 - Wedding #2 (Colorado)

6/22/13 - Wedding #3 (Moldova)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Each country has their own requirements. Sometimes you can get it just for showing you are married, other cases you have to apply/reside/test just like you do for the US. There can be negatives to this. It will keep you from some jobs. If you travel to the other country and get in trouble you are on your own as the US won't interfer with a country dealing with their own citizens usually. Try looking here for a start. citizenships

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband is from Egypt, so Egyptian law states that I automatically can obtain an Egyptian national ID card, so I will get one of those. We plan to have kids (God willing), so any children we have, we will also get Egyptian national ID cards for them.

As far as an Egyptian passport, I don't plan on getting one, since a US passport is the easiest to travel with worldwide. My husband will apply for US citizenship next year and even after he gets his US passport, he plans to keep his Egyptian passport current as well.

Edited by zahrasalem

01-04-09 - Married in Egyptian Embassy - Qatar - honeymoon in Egypt (Ahmed's home country)

05-04-09 - I-130 Sent

12-13-09 - INTERVIEW PASSED (Qatar)....Spent 12 weeks in AP

03-03-10 - VISA IN HAND :)

03-06-10 - AHMED COMES HOME :)

03-12-10 - SS# card received

03-19-10 - GC received

05-15-10 - First job

06-01-11 - Better job!

03-2012 - Started our business

Removal of Conditions/10 yr GC

02-15-12 - Sent I-175 ROC

07-17-12 - approved!....card production ordered!!!!

07-21-12 - 10 yr card arrived in mail :)

03-2013 - Apply for Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just curious if any USC has obtained dual citizenship after the whole K-1/marriage process?

I realize every country's policies are different, but I'd love to hear what the requirements were for you to obtain your dual citizenship. Are other country's requirements similar to the US (citizenship via marriage)?

A lot of USC's do this. I'm personally planning on getting my husband his Australian resident card. It's a bit easier than the US process (he doesn't have to stay living in Aus to keep it) but he doesn't just get a passport by being married to me.. wish he could!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I checked the link I posted an Moldavia requires you to renounce other citizenships, unless you have a special pardon from the president. So to get that passport you would have to give up your US citizenship. Looks like you won't be getting the second passport. Nigeria is a strange country , woman can get it from marriage to a Nigerian and men have to have a huge residency requirement first.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

beware that most countries consider you to be a citizen of the country on which passport you entered. if you have chinese and American passports and enter china with your chinese passport, you waive right to representation by the US embassy, should you end up in a fix. lots of chinese have found this out the hard way, and are either face down with skull ventilation or rotting in windowless cells, while the chinese gov't refuses to acknowledge their US status.

if you enter any country using your US passport you are entitled to the protection of the US embassy.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Just curious if any USC has obtained dual citizenship after the whole K-1/marriage process?I realize every country's policies are different, but I'd love to hear what the requirements were for you to obtain your dual citizenship. Are other country's requirements similar to the US (citizenship via marriage)?

Varies from country to country. Most western countries (Western Europe, Australia, Canada etc) have very similar family-based immigration laws.

My wife has stated a wish to eventually get Norwegian citizenship (for ease of travel and work in the Schengen area), but that would require us to go through the same process in Norway as here in the US. And for her to live there for at least 5 years - and pass a citizenship test there. My wife is a dual citizen, US and South Korean, I don't even want to begin thinking about the Korean citizenship process yet - I'd like to get my CR-1 visa squared out first!

Edited by jaejayC

I just got naturalized this year. I specifically asked the question during the final interview and at other times. I am a dual citizen now.

beware that most countries consider you to be a citizen of the country on which passport you entered. if you have chinese and American passports and enter china with your chinese passport, you waive right to representation by the US embassy, should you end up in a fix. lots of chinese have found this out the hard way, and are either face down with skull ventilation or rotting in windowless cells, while the chinese gov't refuses to acknowledge their US status.

if you enter any country using your US passport you are entitled to the protection of the US embassy.

Thats true. Same is with Visas. You only enter a country with the passport that has the visa in it. Same in reverse, when returning to the US, you only can use the US passport, as the foreign passport does not have any Visa for the US. From that perspective the US considers you being a US citizen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.