mkhan91

Its been over 2 years

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I want to file a k1 visa. I live in the US and the last time i've seen my fiance has been june 2010, which is 2 years and 3 months ago. I know that it is required for it to be within the last 2 years and im now starting to worry as i should have filed it earlier. Would I still be able to file a petition? Does it matter? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Should i hire a lawyer? any help would be appreciated for some peace of mind thanks

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi, I want to file a k1 visa. I live in the US and the last time i've seen my fiance has been june 2010, which is 2 years and 3 months ago. I know that it is required for it to be within the last 2 years and im now starting to worry as i should have filed it earlier. Would I still be able to file a petition? Does it matter? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Should i hire a lawyer? any help would be appreciated for some peace of mind thanks

No need to hire a lawyer, since you do not meet one of the primary requirements they will deny your petition. Save your money and go visit your fiancé, take pictures, complete paperwork, get signatures, and then come back and file.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

People's petitions have been refused because the USCIS received it 2 years and 2 days after the last visit. It MUST BE WITHIN the last 2 years. This is not flexible. It is the #1 requirement of the petition that you have meet your fiance WITHIN the last two years of the filing of the petition. You will need to meet again before filing. To file in your current situation would be a waste of time and money as the petition will be refused and they will keep the filing fee. Save all the money you want to spend on a lawyer and filing the petition and go visit your fiance again. I would think you would want to visit him again anyways.

Good luck,

Dave

I just spoke on the phone with a lady that told me its not a problem, as long as I have the intention of getting married once I bring my fiance to the US. She said all I need is records of us still keeping touch in my case messaging. is this still a problem? because i was planning on going there next summer and bringing my fiance back with me after all the paper work is finished.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The lady was wrong (who was she?).

You MUST meet within 2 years of filing the petition, and before you file.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I just spoke on the phone with a lady that told me its not a problem, as long as I have the intention of getting married once I bring my fiance to the US. She said all I need is records of us still keeping touch in my case messaging. is this still a problem? because i was planning on going there next summer and bringing my fiance back with me after all the paper work is finished.

She was incorrect.

It isn't the first time USCIS was misinformed about the process and it won't be the last. I'm assuming you mean the lady was from USCIS, anyway.

You will be denied if you file before meeting again. I promise.

It is even in the I-129F instructions:

2r20h1u.jpg

Edited by Evylin

A couple months ago I visited India for medical purposes since I dont have insurance here and was cheaper in India. I had a herniated disc and went through some mental issues, and I have documentation for that. Would this be a good enough reason for us not seeing each within the last two years? or what would be an acceptable reason?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There are two main requirements for an I-129F petition approval. You both must be free to marry at the time you file the petition and you had to have met face-to-face within the 2 years prior to filing the I-129F. They are very strict about those requirements. Just go for another visit and then file.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I don't mean to pry but what's stopping you from seeing her again? Instead of finding ways around it?

Majority of the members already stated that it's a MUST to have met face-to-face within 2 years prior to filing the petition.

Good luck!

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

A couple months ago I visited India for medical purposes since I dont have insurance here and was cheaper in India. I had a herniated disc and went through some mental issues, and I have documentation for that. Would this be a good enough reason for us not seeing each within the last two years? or what would be an acceptable reason?

Like others have said, no.

You've already met. You've proven that you have the means to do so. Meet again and file or be denied. That's it, that's all. There's no way around it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.