19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife and I have been married just over two years now. For a variety of reasons, we have held off filing for her visa. She and I would also like her sister to come over, at the same time if possible. If her sister can't come at the same time permanently, I might want to do a visitor visa for her. The sisters are very close and I'd truly prefer them to go through this together as much as practical. Your guidance via reply post is appreciated.

Your wife's sister has no path to live in the the US until her sister is a US Citizen, and then it would take over 20 years, because she is from the Philippines and that is an oversubscribed country. If the sister lives illegally in the US, she will become ineligible for any visa. The sisters cannot "go through it together." Sorry. One is married to a US Citizen, one is not.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

You can't help your sister in law to come to live in the USA permanently, not even with her visitor visa. To obtain a visitor visa your sister in law must qualify by herself showing ties with her home Country and proof that she will return home after her trip to USA. One day when your wife becomes U.S. Citizen she can sponsor her sister to move to the US permanently, the waiting time is from 12 years to 20 years, depending which country she's from.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I suspect the private replies are advising you to do something that violates immigration law so they can't be made public. Under the legal way, You can petitoin your wife, it will take about 3 years if you stay a LPR and about a year if you get citizen ship in the mean time. There is NO visa for sisters in law of any sort so you can never petition the sister in law. The only sibling petition is for siblngs of USC which means your wife would need to be a USC. 5 years as a green card hold if her GC isnt based on marriage to a USC ,3 years is based on marriage to a USC. Once she is a USC the wait is currently over 20 years for a citizen of the Philippines. Assuming you stay an LPR the timeline is 3+5+20 or about 30 years. If you become a USC it is 1+3+20 or about 25 years. There may be other suggestions but this is what family based visas can do for you

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks for your opinion. 3 private replies directly contradict, so I suppose it's time to consult an actual immigration attorney.

As was said above, you're being lied to in the PM's and probably being advised to do something that would hurt your sister-in-laws status (and thus illegal). By all means see an immigration attorney and please post their reply here. Please bear in mind also, if they promise they can do something for the sister-in-law they probably just want your money. So tell them that you'll be changing states or something but just wanted advice before you move to [insert fake state here] and whether they know an attorney you can hire down there. It'll be the best way to ensure they're telling you the truth. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen attorneys promise the stars just to earn a buck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks for your opinion. 3 private replies directly contradict, so I suppose it's time to consult an actual immigration attorney.

Why don't you cut and paste the private replies (minus any names, etc.) for the membership to see? It would be good to learn something new.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Why can't any of them post publicly? Because their advice is BS or illegal. Ask any of these fools to give you a citation to a US government source. None of them will be able to do it. Also, look at their post histories. You'll prolly find that they are a bunch of newbies without much knowledge about migration.

If a US citizen could immediately bring a sister-in-law to the US, then why are so many Filipinos waiting for 20 years to immigrate to the US?

Everyone who has posted publicly is correct.

You and your wife cannot help your SIL get a visitor visa. She must apply an qualify on her own. She needs to show reason why she would return after a brief trip to the US.

There is no legal way for your wife's sister to immigrate with her. The only way is for your wife to first become a US citizen. Only a US citizen can file for a sibling. And no one can ever file for an in-law.

Please come back after your consolation with an immigration attorney. You can either confirm what has been posted publicly and privately messages to you. One group is wrong, and it isn't the ones with histories on this site.

Edited by aaron2020

Sorry to have illicited such emotional responses. There are avenues that are legal but more indirect that I will explore. Some are just more expensive than others at first glance. I necessary, I will delete my initial posts to stop the tidal wave of negativity they seem to have attracted. Again, apologies to those responding publicly and thank you to those more comunicative repliers. I appreciate it.

Sorry I know not hearing what you want to do is painful. I would listen to all those that have replied as they have given good legal advice for many months that I have followed VJ. I must agree that if 3 people have sent you private messages then chances are they are not ligitimate. Philippines has a high rate of over-staying and immigration fraud. Siblings do not fall under the guidelines as parents or children. You can research on USCIS website to get most of your answers. Good luck!

Edited by LSnBigBear

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I just want to direct you to this site which has the information on all available visas. I do want to warn you of scams that abound on the internet and which some members have written of/been victims of. If it sounds too good to be true or costs lots of money it is probably a scam. What I have provided is the official US site or if you don't trust the link google the department of state and go to the visa link on the main page.

Anyone who PM's you is either trying to scam you or have you do something illegal, which remember might result in criminal charges against you and/or a life-time ban for foreigners.

Sorry, I can't delete my post, but now the level of vehement indignation is a bit humorous. There are other legit techniques that, once pointed out, we're kinda "duh" and the reactions here just serve to either troll for more debate or self serve "if you don't do it this one way, then you're wrong.". Ok. You're all right. You can fluff your pillows and sleep better knowing you expounded your viewpoint and ensured that all others are impossibly illegal or scamming.

Admin: I'm more than done, you can lock or even remove the thread, I got the info I was seeking.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Sorry to have illicited such emotional responses. There are avenues that are legal but more indirect that I will explore. Some are just more expensive than others at first glance. I necessary, I will delete my initial posts to stop the tidal wave of negativity they seem to have attracted. Again, apologies to those responding publicly and thank you to those more comunicative repliers. I appreciate it.

Not being negative, but am interested in the avenue(s) you have found. There are hundreds of VJ members that ask about the same thing and find no options.

Now if you find the sis a US boyfriend, that's fairly common.

Share, so others can benefit. That's what VJ is all about.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The other legal paths , although not as certain are , a student visa ( costing upwards of 15K a year and not a permanent solution ) a work related visa if the sister has skills for a job where there is no available US person to fill. Giving the sister in law 500,000 usd so that she could apply for an investment visa. An entertainers visa if she is an actress or such.

Think that pretty much covers the other paths ( other than the already mentioned meeting a USC/LPR that is lonely )

Edited by NigeriaorBust

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.