Shailja

Pregnancy, tourist visa approved

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

I am planning to travel to the US around 25 weeks of my pregnancy. If I am granted a 6 month stay in the country at the port of entry, can I have my delivery there?

Is there an insurance which might cover this, or do I have to pay out of my pocket? Are there any state laws which can be applied while I stay there during the 6 month period?

Also, can I send my first born 3 year old child to a pre-school during my legal stay in the country?

I would highly appreciate any information regarding this matter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would not be surprised if you do not get 6 months on your visit, especially if you are showing at the time of crossing.

You are not permitted to use any state benefits for your pregancy and delivery in the US. Make sure you can pay for your delivery as it is not cheap in the US. Consider travel insurance, but since you are already pregnant that may not work either.

You'll have to check with the school you wish to send your child to. Most require some sort of legal residency (if it is a public school) or do you mean a day-care?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I agree with the previous poster, you are unlikely to be given 6 months if they can see you are pregnant. However, if you do get it, you will need to pay for pre-natal care and delivery out of pocket; the US tax payer isn't going to pay for a tourist's baby. How much that will cost will depend on where you will be staying, and what kind of care you are looking for (homebirth with a midwife may be as little as $2000, uncomplicated, vaginal hospital birth with a family doctor $10'000+ and c-section many times that, as you'd be staying in hospital longer).

There is no state pre-school for 3 year olds in most states, especially not for tourists. However, most private playschools will gladly accept your child.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I have lived in the US for 10 years before moving back to my home country. Neverthless, will be accompanying my husband who is going on a business trip in the next few weeks. I just wanted to understand what it would be like with this situation of mine.

Appreciate your comments.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I have lived in the US for 10 years before moving back to my home country. Neverthless, will be accompanying my husband who is going on a business trip in the next few weeks. I just wanted to understand what it would be like with this situation of mine.

Living in US for 10 year in the past is irrespective to the situation.

First thing if you are preg and showing in your case you would be 6.5 - 7 months preg airline could refuse you at airport in India itself, reason is if officer at boreder refuses you than airline has to put you on the next available flight.

From prespective of officer on the border if your husband is traveling for business do you really need to be with him or you traveling just for the purpose to deliver the baby is the question.

Most officer would go in your condition you should be staying at home and not traveling with your husband on the business trip.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A business trip with the entire family and you are pregnant? You've lived in the US previously.

Is it a 6 month business trip?

The whole thing could seem rather suspicious to an immigration official.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

:blink:

If you know of a way anchor babies result in free green cards for their parents - please share.

As far as I know, parents will not be allowed to stay regardless of having a US born child and no green card is free.

First, why do you even wish to accompany your husband during that late stage of pregancy, unless it was to have US taxpayers foot the bill? Why do you need to remain in the US for 6 months? Who is supposed to pay for daycare for the other child? Did you, eh, forget to mention this little sidetrip to the VOs when applying for the visa? (I am guessing that you did)....this is why the 14th Amendment needs amending...no more anchor babies that cost the taxpayers millions and no more free green cards for the parents.

Edited to add: OP, if you lived in the US for 10 years, surely you know the situation here?

Edited by rika60607

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

:blink:

If you know of a way anchor babies result in free green cards for their parents - please share.

As far as I know, parents will not be allowed to stay regardless of having a US born child and no green card is free.

Edited to add: OP, if you lived in the US for 10 years, surely you know the situation here?

Eventually when the kid is adult, child can petition for the parents.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I know... but it would take 18 years at least, and it would not be free of charge. Meanwhile, parents would have to go back to the home country, because they could not AOS from illegal presence.

Income requirement also will need to be met for the affidavit of support and that implies excellent support network in the US for the said parents or lots of money in their home country... where if lots of money available, then why immigrate and wait 18 years for it?

Anchor babies make sense only in very limited circumstances.

Eventually when the kid is adult, child can petition for the parents.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This should be a sticky for the next whiner complaining they can not get a Visit Visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Living in US for 10 year in the past is irrespective to the situation.

First thing if you are preg and showing in your case you would be 6.5 - 7 months preg airline could refuse you at airport in India itself, reason is if officer at boreder refuses you than airline has to put you on the next available flight.

From prespective of officer on the border if your husband is traveling for business do you really need to be with him or you traveling just for the purpose to deliver the baby is the question.

Most officer would go in your condition you should be staying at home and not traveling with your husband on the business trip.

To be able to travel by air when pregnant, all airlines stick to the same rule. If less then 28 weeks along, nothing is needed. Between 28 weeks and 36 weeks a doctor's letter is required staying that both pregnant mom and baby are healthy to make the flight. If carrying twins, the time shortens to 26 weeks and 32 weeks respectively.

Even if the OP gets a visa to the US, she wont get passed a CBO. She will be sent back. And even in the slimmest of chances they do allow her to enter, they wont permit here to stay for 6 months. They will change the time limit on her visa.

CR1 Visa

USCIS
08/13/2013 -- I130 Sent
08/14/2013 -- I130 NOA1 (email)

02/20/2014 -- I130 NOA2 (189 days - email)

NVC

02-28-2014 -- NVC received
04-03-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

05-22-2014 -- Case completed!!!!!!!
05-30-2014 -- Interview scheduled for July 16th 2014 08:30am

05-31-2014 -- Interview Letter received
Embassy
06-24-2014 -- Medical

07-16-2014 -- Interview Approved!!!!!
07-21-2014 -- Visa in hand
09-24-2014 -- POE

ROC
09-09-2016 -- I-751 sent
09-17-2016 -- NOA received

10-14-2016 -- Biometric appointment

08-07-2017 -- New card ordered
08-10-2017 -- New card mailed ( still no approval letter)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.