ghanalove1

Who should pay the fees?

98 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In Africa they make what $8 a day someone said?

Ukraine, the poverty line is $100 / month.

USC $1500 to $10,000+ per month.

Once considering circumstances, in many cases both can have some skin in the game, but other cases, is a little silly to even ask.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Question: Who do you think should be responsible for paying all the fees for the immigration process? We all know that they can be expensive and add up. But I know that many of our spouses/fiances come from poor countries. Is it fair for the spouse that comes from a more well to do area pay or how would you do it?

The Petioner, or USC, should bear all the cost PLUS all the costs of maintaining the new immigrant to live her in the US. If the Petitioner can not do this, then they should not even attempt this process. Period. It costs a lost and the USC, who lives where money grows on trees, should bear all the costs. Why the question?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Perhaps a moderator can combine this topic as it was posted twice.

It is an expensive process, but putting money before all of it isn't the place to start nor should it be your first concern. Does it really matter in the long run since you're going to be together forever anyway? If it does, then once he gets here and gets a job, he can pay you back. I understand money can be an issue, but it shouldn't be...your love for one another should be.

OMG, that's a FABULOUS point! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: LOVE your answer...

Ditto.

Since I am the one sitting pretty and NOT having to move, I'm more than happy to pay the costs entirely. And of course, since I am the one who asked her to marry me.... Moving half way across the world is priceless as the commercial goes, for everything else you have master card. Of course, some variations should be expected on individual cases.

In a marraige everything is shared so why cant the bills be shared too.Both the beneficiary and the petitioner have bills so they should both be responsible for some aspects of the fees.

Where did I read that just by being married, statistically I get 2+ years additional in my life? Of course, in some cases (as we know here), it could be 2 hellish years :devil:

Many things that cannot be quantified with $ and often put on the table by the beneficiary balance things out usually.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

This topic tickles me.I guess its a case by case basis on depending on the individuals financial status.If the petitioner can afford itwhy not? but If the beneficiary can also chip in by all means.I will make this specific to maybe cases directly related to Ghana because I have seen where people compare the earnings of beneficiaries in Africa to that of petitioners in the U.S. Keep in mind the petitioner in the US has bills to pay as well and once the beneficiary gets here it is the responsibility of the Petitioner to take care of her fully .Feed her,make sure she is comfortable and in a safe and comfortable environment, take care of her health needs for a while until the beneficiary starts working.

Sometimes people in Africa have a false sense of what life in the U.S really is like.Trust me there are homeless people in the US and people live paycheck to paycheck too.Now if you will excuse me I have to go to the money tree in my backyard and water it so that it generates more benjamin Franklin's.

This is a weird question.

You decided to join your lives so why would you even think about whos gonna pay what and how much lol

We don't have a joint account yet of course but we always pay from "our" money. (call it our money since we got engaged) It's gonna be all in one account in couple of months anyway lol

That's what marriage is about. Sharing everything, including money. So if I pay for visa from my account I still pay from "our money" because it won't make any difference after we get married.

So I kinda don't understand this question.

I mean it's different if your fiancé comes from a very poor part of the world, I guess but still you will share everything after the wedding day anyway...

K1 PROCESS
1/14/12 - I-129f sent to Dallas, TX, 1/18/12 - received by VSC
1/20/12 - NOA 1
7/19/12 - NOA 2 - YES AFTER 183 DAYS!!!
7/27/12 - NVC received
8/02/12 - Consulate received
8/23/12 - Medical exam appt
9/06/12 - Interview @ 9am - Approved! smile.png
9/28/12 - POE - Vienna - London - Philly

Wedding - 10/6/12 @ 1:30pm ET

AOS
10/20/12 - AOS sent to Chicago lockbox
10/26/12 - NOA1s for all 3 forms
11/28/12 - Biometrics appointment
12/29/12 - EAD & AP approved
01/08/13 - EAD combo card received

06/28/13 - AOS approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

But if your fiance/spouse just didn't have the money to pay the fees it's such a burden. I hate to say this but the person feels like a financial burden to you. I know it's just money but sometimes it can be so hard when you have other things going on too. It's just another hurdle in this immigration process.

I look at it this way -

the us citizen came to meet the foreign person, so there was 2 to 3K right there.

Budget about half of that for the immigration stuff, the remainder for an air ticket, and you can think it's double.

Being together with a loved one is priceless, but for some, they must budget and save for it to happen in a timely fashion.

I see nothing wrong with the US Citizen paying for all.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

This is the problem with some guys.Sometimes when a guy pays for everything he tries to own the woman and treat her like property.And trust me SOME men are old school and controlling.I was born and raised in Ghana so I know what the heck I am talking about.In my case, I paid for the i-129f.My fiancee will pay for her medical fees and visa fees.She is gainfully employed and we have been preparing for this for the last two years.When she gets here.I will be paying for everything else and the adjustment of status.Women if you are employed and you can pay for something, help your fiance out and at the same time show that you can be independent and don't need a man to do everything for you.I do understand that not every woman is in that position.

Filed: Timeline

Whoever can afford it should pay for it.

I don't agree with the above comment that money grows on trees in the US. I wish!! :no:

Granted some are lucky to have well paying jobs to afford the expenses incurred by importing an international spouse but there are many who feel the pangs of love and live on the dege barely making ends meet week to week or just cannot afford to do what they are trying to do. I feel sad for them. :( Love hurts sometimes.

Timeline

Whoever can afford it should pay for it.

I don't agree with the above comment that money grows on trees in the US. I wish!! :no:

Granted some are lucky to have well paying jobs to afford the expenses incurred by importing an international spouse but there are many who feel the pangs of love and live on the dege barely making ends meet week to week or just cannot afford to do what they are trying to do. I feel sad for them. :( Love hurts sometimes.

Exactly my point.The assumption BY SOME is that if you are in the US then you are well to do.Hence my sarcastic comment that money grows on trees.There is a REASON WHY USCIS uses the poverty guidelines .There are poor people in the US too.Bringing a spouse to the US is not a cheap burden at al.By the time the person gets here and files for AOS, you could have easily spent upwards of $3,000.Thats not taking into account day to day living expenses when the spouse arrives.My point is that its not easy on the petitioner either.Most people have made the point that some beneficiaries make as little as $8 a day in third world countries.I am saying dont forget that someone making less than $20k with bills doesn't have it easy either.NOWHERE COOL!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Who????....The main reflexion is if you both agree to be a couple FOREVER before filing the K1 petition...is not a a matter of Who... HE or ME??...is a matter of US...and everything material each one have or payments to do should be OURS..all things in the same bag!!...I understand your worry about this process being hard and expensive...but I think you two should look inside your feelings and find if the love you have for each other is more than the worries about economical things...is the only way you two will support each other and act in every step like a real couple in good and bad situations...Good Luck!!

The way I look at it, its an investment to my and my fiance's future. Its not just a financial one, its an emotional one. You can make it in this world a lot easier with two people working together. And having someone to wake up to every morning is definitely a plus! :dance:

I always pay for my paperwork (except for K1) myself. It's not my hubby's responsibility, and after all, I need it, not him :)

Edited by AmberOctober

My Art and Handmade Gifts

10. 10. 2008 - sent the petition

10. 16. 2008 - NOA1

04. 10. 2009 - sent letters to senators and asked for help

04. 17. 2009 - service request

04. 20. 2009 - filled senator's form which we got from him

04. 30. 2009 - another senator called us up

05. 04. 2009 - NOA2

05. 08. 2009 - NVC

06. 16. 2009 - interview (8 months since NOA1) passed

07. 03. 2009 - leaving for Texas. Go Rangers

07. 25. 2009 - officially married

08. 28. 2009 - AOS process started

09. 08. 2009 - NOA1

09. 30. 2009 - AP approved

10. 02. 2009 - I485 was forwarded to California, yay!

10. 13. 2009 - biometrics

10. 13. 2009 - EAD production was ordered

01. 04. 2010 - AOS approved

Done till Oct 2011!

11. 11. 2011 - I 751 filed

11. 16. 2011 - NOA1

12. 16. 2011 - Biometrics

04. 16. 2012 - ROC Approved

10. 10. 2012 - N 400 filed

10. 15. 2012 - NOA1

11. 15. 2012 - Biometrics

12. 04. 2012 - In line for the interview

01. 14. 2013 - Interview

01. 25. 2013 - Oath ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Question: Who do you think should be responsible for paying all the fees for the immigration process? We all know that they can be expensive and add up. But I know that many of our spouses/fiances come from poor countries. Is it fair for the spouse that comes from a more well to do area pay or how would you do it?

My dear sister, Africa is beautiful and it's honestly a very rich country...If you are a part of the Government eating the money. Otherwise there is poverty everywhere. It's truly a third-world country with good proud poor people (we don't know poverty the way they do. I'm saying this to say He may very well be able to pay for his birth certificate, police report even his physical but the mound of the cost will be paid by you. Our government wants the money before they do anything else..like open links so that you can move forward in your paperwork process. You don't want to waste time worrying yourself and not being with your husband. So let him pay for what ever he can pay for and you go ahead and get the rest.. you feel me. I can only tell you what I know... It will all come back to you end the end....when he's here, home and inside your embrace.

The World is Yours to Experience....Venture out into it and find Love!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

In a marraige everything is shared so why cant the bills be shared too.Both the beneficiary and the petitioner have bills so they should both be responsible for some aspects of the fees.

I agree with this :thumbs:

Everyone will put their opinion and/or experience but thats as far as it goes, because this is obviously something that can only be decided by the couple once they speak about it. And finances SHOULD be spoken about, it is not a taboo subject. It is very important for the success of the relationship. In my case I had planned on footing the bill to most of the immigration process, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I (the petioner) will not be putting a penny up until POE, at that point it will be my turn to be head of household until he can get his GC/work permit....but once he does recieve that, i will be more than happy to give that title right back to him, lol

LOL! :rofl:

“The moon is at her full, and riding high, floods the calm fields with light. The airs that hover in the summer sky are all asleep tonight.” ~William C. Bryant

Click HERE for our complete K-1 visa journey timeline.

Happily Married: December 1, 2012

AOS Journey:
Filing Date: 4/15/2013

NOA1: 4/23/2013

Received RFE: 5/13/2013 (We forgot to include proof of citizenship of co-sponsor)

Mailed our response to the RFE: 5/15/2013 (We sent the co-sponsor's U.S. birth certificate)

Biometrics Appointment: 5/20/13

EAD: arrived 6/24/13

AOS: APPROVED! No interview! Approval (NOA-1 letter)Date: 9/24/2013

2 year conditional green card received 09/2013.

10 year permanent residency approved 2016.

<3 Baby girl born February 2015 <3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.