ghanalove1

Who should pay the fees?

98 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Perhaps a moderator can combine this topic as it was posted twice.

It is an expensive process, but putting money before all of it isn't the place to start nor should it be your first concern. Does it really matter in the long run since you're going to be together forever anyway? If it does, then once he gets here and gets a job, he can pay you back. I understand money can be an issue, but it shouldn't be...your love for one another should be.

My fiance is paying for mine. :innocent: It's because of him that I'm moving halfway across the world anyway.

OMG, that's a FABULOUS point! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: LOVE your answer...

Edited by Ben and Jill

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

But if your fiance/spouse just didn't have the money to pay the fees it's such a burden. I hate to say this but the person feels like a financial burden to you. I know it's just money but sometimes it can be so hard when you have other things going on too. It's just another hurdle in this immigration process.

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself ways how I can!"

Timeline

The way I look at it, its an investment to my and my fiance's future. Its not just a financial one, its an emotional one. You can make it in this world a lot easier with two people working together. And having someone to wake up to every morning is definitely a plus! :dance:

That's very true! I need to stop looking at what is happening now but what will be happening in the future when we both will be able to work together to achieve goals.

Timeline

I was just wondering if I was wrong to feel strain for having to pay the fees? Because my financial situation is straining a bit too. I feel bad saying this but feels like a financial burden at times :-(

It can feel overwhelming, but the LOVE is SO worth it...you'll be OK, just think of how you'll feel when he's here with you! :D

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

But if your fiance/spouse just didn't have the money to pay the fees it's such a burden. I hate to say this but the person feels like a financial burden to you. I know it's just money but sometimes it can be so hard when you have other things going on too. It's just another hurdle in this immigration process.

Think of it this way...Africa is an extremely poor country, 99% of people there are trying to figure out where they are going to get money to put food into their mouths or the mouths of their children...why put the financial burden on your man who lives there? Don't you think he's got enough to worry about? You, on the other hand, I am sure...do not struggle in that way at all. Think of it that way. Perhaps that will give you a clearer perspective. Have you visited Ghana yet? I would think if you have, you wouldn't have even brought this topic up. You'll be OK, I just hope what I said shed some light for you.

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I strongly believe every situation is different.

I (the beneficiary) am currently enrolled in university. My fiancé (USC) is in the Coast Guard and has been for almost 5 years, hence he has a steady income.

He paid for the initial application. I put the MRV fee on my credit card since I was the one to book my interview. I'll most likely pay for my medical also, funds allowing. If not, my fiancé will pay, no doubt.

As I don't have any money saved and will not be able to work for quite a while after having moved to the USA, he will also most likely pay for the AOS once the time comes.

I believe money is secondary. It wasn't even discussed between the two of us. I assumed, because of our situation, that he would pay most of it. In the end, I think that whoever can afford it should pay. If both can, both should contribute. If it's difficult for one and not for the other, it can be a one way street. If it's difficult for both, both should bear the burden.

Timeline

It's really not a stupid question...it's a natural concern, and she's looking for honest, humble answers....not looking to hear "how can you ask such a stupid question" ~ thanks.

Thanks so much! It is an honest concern. Just need to see/hear what other people are doing. I just feel kind of overwhelmed by this whole process. I think because I am moving and buying a new car (my old one needs a new engine) that I am just seeing so much money going out that it kind of frazzled me. If you can understand what I am saying. However, after reading everybody's posts I know that this is just temporary and that with him being here and us working together things will be fine. I just needed some support and other outlooks on this situation.

Edited by ghanalove1

Timeline

It's really not a stupid question...it's a natural concern, and she's looking for honest, humble answers....not looking to hear "how can you ask such a stupid question" ~ thanks.

Thank you I don;t believe my question was stupid. It is an honest concern of mine. I am just a bit frazzled because I am moving and buying a new car (old one engine went out) so I am seeing a lot of money going out. It just kind of frazzled me. However I know that this is just temporary and that with me getting him here that it will be better because we can work together as a husband and wife unit and achieve our goals. I just need to hear what others are doing. As this process is a little overwhelming for me. I know things will work out but I am just stressed but this is not permanent and everything will be ok!

Thanks!

Edited by ghanalove1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

also you can always add up all the fees and keep it handy to give your spouse the total amount when they finally get here and tell them that's what they have to pay back :P

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Timeline

Thank you I don;t believe my question was stupid. It is an honest concern of mine. I am just a bit frazzled because I am moving and buying a new car (old one engine went out) so I am seeing a lot of money going out. It just kind of frazzled me. However I know that this is just temporary and that with me getting him here that it will be better because we can work together as a husband and wife unit and achieve our goals. I just need to hear what others are doing. As this process is a little overwhelming for me. I know things will work out but I am just stressed but this is not permanent and everything will be ok!

Thanks!

I understand. It’s normal for us “Americans” (LOL) to think along those lines. One thing I have learned from this whole entire process is that money means nothing when it comes to happiness. Just imagine for one second what it’s like to live in Ghana and have to worry about things that would never even cross our minds. For example, you say you’re moving and buying a new car therefore you feel overwhelmed with all the money being spent…geez, someone from Ghana would be thrilled if they had those problems! Get my point?? Again, I hope I shed some light. Keep focused and stay positive. :D

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Question: Who do you think should be responsible for paying all the fees for the immigration process? We all know that they can be expensive and add up. But I know that many of our spouses/fiances come from poor countries. Is it fair for the spouse that comes from a more well to do area pay or how would you do it?

I will speak from my opinion on a K1 petition perspective. If you the petitioner cannot pay for the immigration fees, then you shouldn't petition anyone. You are supposed to be able to support your fiancee once they arrive to the U.S. and marry you and become your wife. I would never ask my fiancee to burden herself with any immigration expenses. Some of you may beg to differ from my opinion, but it is my opinion. Your beneficiary is giving up so much, why burden them with expenses. Some beneficiaries come from 3rd world countries where they are lucky to make even $8.00 USD a day. Lets be real, if you want them to be your wife, then take responmsibility for the financial aspects of the immigrations process. If your beneficiary is from another country that they can make as much as you, then maybe it is up to both of you to come to an agreement on the division of expenses. My fiancee didn't pursue me, I pursued her.

Timeline

I understand. It’s normal for us “Americans” (LOL) to think along those lines. One thing I have learned from this whole entire process is that money means nothing when it comes to happiness. Just imagine for one second what it’s like to live in Ghana and have to worry about things that would never even cross our minds. For example, you say you’re moving and buying a new car therefore you feel overwhelmed with all the money being spent…geez, someone from Ghana would be thrilled if they had those problems! Get my point?? Again, I hope I shed some light. Keep focused and stay positive. :D

I know! I feel so greedy at times! That many of us Americans are guilty of me included :( But I know that my happiness and his are the most important things. And putting things in perspective he has never once asked me for money! The least I could do is help him with the process. As a previous poster mentioned it's all because of me that he is coming here! So why not pay!

Timeline

I know! I feel so greedy at times! That many of us Americans are guilty of me included :( But I know that my happiness and his are the most important things. And putting things in perspective he has never once asked me for money! The least I could do is help him with the process. As a previous poster mentioned it's all because of me that he is coming here! So why not pay!

You are on the right track now :star: sometimes we just need advice from others who have already gone through it to help us along.

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.