Dante & Geor

Can I stand in US citizens line

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello,

I have been told by a few persons that I should make the line for US Citizens at my arrival to JFK since my son has his american passport. But I'm really not sure about it, would it get me into trouble or something?? Is my first flight abroad, and I'm kinda freaking out for everything

Can I put myself in the US Citizens line?? I've been told this line is ALWAYS shorter than the other one :innocent:

10-24-2012: AOS, EAD, AP Sent

11-04-2012: NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

11-06-2012: Biometrics App Letter

11-16-2012: My baby boy was born

11-19-2012: Biometrics Appointment

12-29-2012: AP Approved

01-04-2013: EAD Approved

01-10-2013: Combo Card Arrived

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

When my husband came through POE ATL with his CR1 we went waited in the citizen/perm resident line. Then they moved us over to a 'special cases' line (where there was no line actually) specifically for spousal and fiance visas. I have US passport and I accompanied him the whole way through.

It's not always shorter.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

When my husband came through POE ATL with his CR1 we went waited in the citizen/perm resident line. Then they moved us over to a 'special cases' line (where there was no line actually) specifically for spousal and fiance visas. I have US passport and I accompanied him the whole way through.

It's not always shorter.

Yeah, I have not gone through POE with a fiancee visa as yet so don't know if it would get you into trouble or not but when I did go to the US last year with my fiance, we made separate lines and it did not feel like the lines represented a significantly longer wait (this was at the San Francisco airport), the questioning took a few minutes but it isn't the lining up that took a long time. But then again, I was there on a tourist visa so it was very important for me to not look like an intending immigrant so even physical separation from my fiance was helpful for me actually. I'm sure you will get further feedback from others who have first-hand experience. What I have also read is that the US citizen is allowed to go on any line and can queue with his non-citizen fiance(e).

jin5xmldq.png

09/23/2010- Met online

12/23/2010- Met in person in Kenya

02/01/2011- Visited him in China

02/14/2011- He proposed while I was in China

07/09/2011- Moved to China to be with him

12/19/2011- Went to US to meet his family

01/08/2012- Went back to China with him

02/29/2012- Went back to Kenya to await fiancee visa :-(

02/07/2012: I-129F Sent

02/10/2012: USCIS received I-129F

02/10/2012: NOA1 date

02/15/2012: Touched

02/22/2012: NOA1 received in mail

05/05/2012: Broke up :(

Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between July 6, 2012 and July 9, 2012*.

"Where there is faith

There is a voice calling, keep walking

You’re not alone in this world

Where there is faith

There is a peace like a child sleeping

Hope everlasting in He who is able...

It is a wonderful, powerful place

Where there is faith" 4Him

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would go into the non-US citizens line if you are not yet a permanent resident.

When I used to travel with my husband before I got my visa, we used to use the non-us citizen line together, even though he is a US citizen line.

You can ask the person at the start of the line when you get there as well.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I have been told by a few persons that I should make the line for US Citizens at my arrival to JFK since my son has his american passport. But I'm really not sure about it, would it get me into trouble or something?? Is my first flight abroad, and I'm kinda freaking out for everything

Can I put myself in the US Citizens line?? I've been told this line is ALWAYS shorter than the other one :innocent:

I will say - Go thru Visitor Line.

At JFK, it may take extra 10-20 min compare to US Citizen/Resident line. That is it.

For my case, few days back, visitor line waiting was around 20-25 min, and immigration process was 3-5 minutes. That is it.

XrVRp5.png

Timeline

I will say - Go thru Visitor Line.

At JFK, it may take extra 10-20 min compare to US Citizen/Resident line. That is it.

For my case, few days back, visitor line waiting was around 20-25 min, and immigration process was 3-5 minutes. That is it.

Ok, thanks! I guess if there's no harm on putting in one line or another, I will first watch which line is shorter, so I go with that one :unsure:

It also depends of the hour right? My flight will arrive at 10.30 at night on a weekend... I really don't how many people pass trough immigration at that particular hour...

Edited by Dante & Geor

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Ok, thanks! I guess if there's no harm on putting in one line or another, I will first watch which line is shorter, so I go with that one :unsure:

No, you can't just pick and stand in the line that is shorter at the time. If it didn't matter then they wouldn't have separate lines for citizens and non-citizens. You are not a citizen so you can't stand in USC line, unless instructed so by a CBP employee (or when a USC line is also a US resident line). Saving a little time by standing in the line you're not supposed to be standing in is really not worth the trouble, imo.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

Yes. Stay with your son. Families are not to be seperated in the line, regardless of the 'line sorter' human , who has no clue on immigrant visas.

When you get to the desk, tell the Officer you are immigrating, pass over the big packet yer carrying, and give him/her yer passport.

Good Luck !

No, you can't just pick and stand in the line that is shorter at the time. If it didn't matter then they wouldn't have separate lines for citizens and non-citizens. You are not a citizen so you can't stand in USC line, unless instructed so by a CBP employee (or when a USC line is also a US resident line). Saving a little time by standing in the line you're not supposed to be standing in is really not worth the trouble, imo.

wrong answer, alas.

For those folk IMMIGRATING into the USA, on a SPOUSAL VISA, 'which line to be in' does not matter.

I would go into the non-US citizens line if you are not yet a permanent resident.

When I used to travel with my husband before I got my visa, we used to use the non-us citizen line together, even though he is a US citizen line.

You can ask the person at the start of the line when you get there as well.

The Line Sorter Human is Useless, alas.

Also, this person, the OP, is coming in on an Immigrant Visa, so it doesn't matter which line they get in, at all.

I'm not discounting YOUR experience - only to mention it's NOT the same category that you've used when you 'come across the border', at all.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I don't want to pick any line, my son IS A USC so I can stand in line with him (my fiance also told me this) My son is 4yrs old, and I guess you can assume he won't be doing the line by himself :bonk:

Yes. Stay with your son. Families are not to be seperated in the line, regardless of the 'line sorter' human , who has no clue on immigrant visas.

When you get to the desk, tell the Officer you are immigrating, pass over the big packet yer carrying, and give him/her yer passport.

Good Luck !

Thank you! that's what I'm going to do :thumbs:

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

By all means, it's ok to get in USC line with your son.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Agree with the others. Stay with your son. USC line is fine. I stood in the "USC/Permanent resident" line at LAX when I POE'd. No issues.

The line doesn't matter because you are going to go to secondary anyway, there is no seperate lines in secondary. You will be waiting until they process you in. There is a bunch of chairs or lack of chairs in secondary where you sit to wait to be processed in.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Timeline

The line doesn't matter because you are going to go to secondary anyway, there is no seperate lines in secondary. You will be waiting until they process you in. There is a bunch of chairs or lack of chairs in secondary where you sit to wait to be processed in.

Thanks for the info, I was kinda expecting it, but since I'm pregnant and w/a 4yr old probably sleeping on my arms by that hour... I really really hope I can go hassle free :blush:

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Thanks for the info, I was kinda expecting it, but since I'm pregnant and w/a 4yr old probably sleeping on my arms by that hour... I really really hope I can go hassle free :blush:

You will need a stroller, how are you going to transport your luggage between international to dosmetic with a sleeping child in your arms. This will be very hard to do.

Timeline

You will need a stroller, how are you going to transport your luggage between international to dosmetic with a sleeping child in your arms. This will be very hard to do.

No need to worry about that, JFK is my POE and also my final destination, going to live in NYC. Thanks for the advice anyway, I appreciate it :thumbs: :thumbs:

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.