41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

According to your timeline you lived together for about a year and were married for about 9 months. She also just AOSed. She already has enough to remove conditions on her own, she does not need to accuse you of anything under VAWA.

Unless she knew That Guy from before she met you, or you have some evidence of fraud, there is nothing you can do. There may be other reasons for her not wanting to divorce immediately - health insurance coverage comes to mind.

She doesn't NEED to but we all know that some immigration lawyers are morons who give wrong advice so she might still try it... it's still a risk so he should still protect himself. We don't know what evidence of relationship they have so we have no idea whether she "has enough". But hopefully she realises she can just ROC on her own and doesn't make problems for the OP (false claims of abuse, trying to claim support under the I-864). Divorces are messing enough without adding immigration worries.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Wow just wow this is unbelievable

I am very sorry you are going through with this but it is very serious. You need to file divorce ASAP and file for the restraining order (just in case). I know you probably still love her, you're still hoping, you want to keep this amicable but her "2-3 months to get stuff done" is very very worrying. As is her seeing an immigration lawyer. So PLEASE protect yourself.

I don't want to scare you too much but there are websites out there that will tell you worst case scenarios. People who have had the worst happen... I doubt your case is this serious but you need to know what CAN and HAS happened to others and why it's VERY important to protect yourself.

Vanessa/Tony

Unfortunately, you are wrong.

I have dealt with many people who are currently going through this very thing, but I do NOT need to go into this information.

FIrstly Form I-751 states the following:

1) Filing with a request that the joint filing requirement be waived. You may file this petition at any time after you are granted conditional resident status and before you are removed.

2) Submit Evidence of your relationship

3) Submit a copy of your divorce decree.

4) When to file: Filing with a request that the joint filing requirement be waived. You may file this petition at any time after you are granted conditional resident status and before you are removed.

I am sorry, but you are wrong-- they can file at ANY time. READ the instructions.

IT DOES NOT matter how the conditional GC is issued-- visa K1 or CR-1 the conditions are the same and a person as the right to divorce and move on-- as long as they prove their marriage was entered into in good faith.

Edited by ChrisPG

Background Information

-Dec 2006: Arrived with an F1 visa

-Dec 2007: Met USC.

-Dec 2009: Got Engaged.

-Jan 2010: Fell out of Status.

-Oct 2010: Married USC.

-Feb 2012: Filed I-130/AOS

I-130/AOS Timeline

Day 0: 02/25/12: Mailed concurrent I-130/AOS Package to the Chicago Lockbox

Day 2: 02/27/12: Package arrived at the Chicago Lockbox.

Day 5: 03/01/12: Email acceptance confirmation received for Forms: I-130, I-485 & I-765.

Day 13: 03/09/12: NOA1s received for Forms: I-130, I-485 & I-765. Biometrics letter also received and scheduled for March 27th.

Day 24: 03/20/12: Email notification for RFE.

Day 27: 03/23/12: Hardcopy RFE received in the mail.

Day 31: 03/27/12: Biometrics completed.

Day 40: 04/05/12: Mailed off the RFE.

Day 44: 04/09/12: RFE Delivered.

Day 46: 04/11/12: USCIS received RFE and case updated online.

Day 55: 04/20/12: EAD approved!

Day 60: 04/25/12: Received 2nd "EAD in Production" Email.

Day 61: 04/26/12: EAD Mailed.

Day 63: 04/28/12: EAD in hand!

Day 74: 05/09/12: Interview date scheduled for June 12th.

Day 75: 05/10/12: Interview letter in hand.

Day 108: 06/12/12: Interview.

Day 110: 06/14/12: Received I-485 & I-130 approval emails.

Day 114: 06/18/12: Received I-130 & I-485 Approval hardcopies.

Day 115: 06/19/12: Received GC in production email.

Day 116: 06/20/12: Received "GC mailed" & "USPS picked up your GC" emails.

Day 118: 06/22/12: GC arrived in the mail

March 16th 2014: Eligible to file ROC.

March 16th 2015: Eligible to file for naturalization.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am so sorry you are in this situation, it seems you really were/ are trying to do the best thing. If I were you, I would file for divorce, make sure you are not on the hook for any money and cut her out of your life; Try to get on and live a happy life. No good karma can come to someone who treats others like she has treated you.

IF you ever need to chat or vent my inbox is newly emptied :blush:

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

To the OP:

You are no doubt getting extremely confused by all of the different answers and arguing in this thread.

I will give you a simple answer. You are going through a tough time and already have a lot on your mind, so,

1. If you are on speaking terms, talk to this person and ask her one last time time if she is willing to work it out. If the answer is no...

2. If it appears you won't be able to work it out, then, if I were you, I would file for divorce, IMMEDIATELY, without waiting another hour.

That is all.

Sorry this happened to you. Good luck in life.

Edited by sulhaq

Filed: Timeline

Thank you everyone for the posts. I wish it were that easy just file for divorce. I know that that is the right thing to do right now and I want to to protect myself but its very difficult because I do love her I didn't go through all of this trouble and spend all of this money for it to end like this. I spoke to her tonight and asked her if this is what she was doing and she said I was unbelievable and she just wanted me out of her life and to continue a new life on here in the U.S. no matter what it was. She said I was only making assumptions just like I always do and that she hadn't admitted to anything so again I am the bad guy. Im very upset right now and just wish this would all go away. I didn't ask for any of this and just want my life back to normal.

I know it must be very hard to hear all those words from her...but you also have to protect yourself. I would be devastated if David did this to me and I don't know if I could file for divorce right away because of the depression and hope that it may still work out. But we are looking into your situation and are the objective ones. Please, protect yourself. You are not the bad guy here. This was probably planned before you even got married. I am so sorry (F)

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Great advice from Vanessa and Tony!!! Wow it was empowering to read he had a chance to help himself...

@ Leatherneck once again well put. OP got great free advice!!! This would have cost so much to get out of an attorney. And to be proactive would be the best option...

BUT his last post #24 is indicating something...he is not ready to let go and think with his head. He wants to remain in this situation.

"I didn't ask for any of this and just want my life back to normal."

I hope it will all work out for the both of them.

event.png

event.png

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Great advice from Vanessa and Tony!!! Wow it was empowering to read he had a chance to help himself...

@ Leatherneck once again well put. OP got great free advice!!! This would have cost so much to get out of an attorney. And to be proactive would be the best option...

BUT his last post #24 is indicating something...he is not ready to let go and think with his head. He wants to remain in this situation.

"I didn't ask for any of this and just want my life back to normal."

I hope it will all work out for the both of them.

You're very perceptive, I saw that statement -- you're right, emotionally he is not ready to let go. However, she is ready to move on and has. She even told him so "...she just wanted me out of her life and to continue a new life on here in the U.S. no matter what it was."

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.