Ezekiel Chester

Deported from the US (for a friend)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey guys!!

I'm writing this on behalf of a friend who needs some advice (I told her to sign up to VJ and post it, but she's asked me to do it for her).

She is American born and currently lives in Florida. Her (now) husband is from England, but his family moved to the US when he was 10, and he's now 26. Before they were together, when he turned 16 he was arrested and charged for DUI and possession of cannabis. Fast forward a few years - they both get together and have a son and then got engaged. Last year, I believe he applied for US citizenship and ended up being deported back to the UK in April after being detained for 2 months because of the crime he committed at the age of 16 - his fiancee and their son stayed in the US.

After he was deported, his fiancee came to England with their son for abour 4 months, and they ended up getting married before she returned back to the US with their son. Now he wants to move back to the US, where he was raised from age 10, to be with his wife and son, all of his family are in the US also - he just has one grandparent in the UK.

I believe they're currently trying to go through the process of the hardship waiver to have his deportation lifted, but they don't really know how reliable the outcome is, or what they need to be doing? She doesn't want to move to the UK because that means leaving all of her family behind too, and because economically it's so tough in the UK right now. Not to mention the unemployment rate is really high!

Does anyone have any advice I can pass on?

Ezekiel Frazer Chester

"It is only when men begin to worship that they begin to grow" - US Former President Calvin Coolidge

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey guys!!

I'm writing this on behalf of a friend who needs some advice (I told her to sign up to VJ and post it, but she's asked me to do it for her).

She is American born and currently lives in Florida. Her (now) husband is from England, but his family moved to the US when he was 10, and he's now 26. Before they were together, when he turned 16 he was arrested and charged for DUI and possession of cannabis. Fast forward a few years - they both get together and have a son and then got engaged. Last year, I believe he applied for US citizenship and ended up being deported back to the UK in April after being detained for 2 months because of the crime he committed at the age of 16 - his fiancee and their son stayed in the US.

After he was deported, his fiancee came to England with their son for abour 4 months, and they ended up getting married before she returned back to the US with their son. Now he wants to move back to the US, where he was raised from age 10, to be with his wife and son, all of his family are in the US also - he just has one grandparent in the UK.

I believe they're currently trying to go through the process of the hardship waiver to have his deportation lifted, but they don't really know how reliable the outcome is, or what they need to be doing? She doesn't want to move to the UK because that means leaving all of her family behind too, and because economically it's so tough in the UK right now. Not to mention the unemployment rate is really high!

I'm afraid I don't have any advice to give.

But my husband's case sounds almost exactly like your

friend's husband's case, except my husband was 19 at

the time of his crime/deportation.

He lived in California from the age of 6 to 19.

All his immediate family is there still.

He went to American schools and has an American education.

He has an American daughter he hasn't been able

to see since she was 2.

Can they deny someone if they have an American child?

What if he never gets to see his daughter again?

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hmmm. I'm not that knowledgeable and could be wrong, but, since he was in the US from the age of 10 till 26, that is more than enough time to become a naturalized US Citizen, so why was he deported again? Did they really revoke his citizenship on grounds of the crime he committed or did he just not become a naturalized citizen?

Timeline

Hmmm. I'm not that knowledgeable and could be wrong, but, since he was in the US from the age of 10 till 26, that is more than enough time to become a naturalized US Citizen, so why was he deported again? Did they really revoke his citizenship on grounds of the crime he committed or did he just not become a naturalized citizen?

I believe that you have to be either 18 or 21 before you can apply for naturalisation. I'm not sure why he never did it before - I think it maybe never occured to him. I think his parents did theirs, and a lot of immigrant children assume that they also received naturalisation with their parents which isn't always the case. I have asked that much - I only know as much as I put above.

Ezekiel Frazer Chester

"It is only when men begin to worship that they begin to grow" - US Former President Calvin Coolidge

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can they deny someone if they have an American child?

What if he never gets to see his daughter again?

Yes they can, they deny and deport people who have children in America all the time.

They don't really care if he/she never gets to see the child again.

Harsh but true.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes they can, they deny and deport people who have children in America all the time.

They don't really care if he/she never gets to see the child again.

Harsh but true.

That is really harsh and just not fair that they

can separate families like that.

And it's amazing they still expect him to pay

child support on a child they won't even let

him see.

Edited by Adriene H

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It's not them that don;t let him see the child- the mother could visit him with the chold or, when child is old enough, have the child fly alone.

That being said, it has been 10 years since his conviction, I think his chance of a waiver is decent assuming it was just a simple posession/ use and not dealing.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Another question--did he actually have a greencard or was he an overstay because his parents brought him here but never got him a greencard? Maybe he was deported because he had no legal status. He needs a good immigration attorney specializing in waivers...not just one who knows how to fill out easy case paperwork. He could have a 10 year or lifetime ban and forum answers and speculation aren't going to do him much good. This requires all the facts and a trained legal person to tell him his chances of returning.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

he was given papers at the deportation hearing.

he needs to review those, study them, to learn about the length of the ban currently in place.

in the end, when the visa is approved in London, he'll still need to request a waiver of said ban (more forms, more money)

So, have yer buddy study up at http://immigrate2us.net soonish.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Thanks for all the advice people :) I'll pass on your comments to them and hopefully they will be of some help!

Ezekiel Frazer Chester

Filed: Other Timeline

Looks like he didn't use common sense, more than once, or twice, or three times in his lifetime so far.

:bonk:

Applying for naturalization, where a comprehensive background check and a thorough database check and a good moral character clause is part of the process, when he had a conviction for illegal drugs and another conviction for a DUI -- at a time when he wasn't even allowed to buy a bottle of beer -- is kind of immigration suicide. So he stepped into the lions' den, and kicked the sleeping lions while challenging them and . . . voila . . . he got bitten!

Deportation carries usually a 10-year bar, but it can be a 20-year bar when having been convicted of a crime. I don't think that the pot possession made him inadmissible for life, assuming he had only a small quantity on him. Thus, the wife could apply for an I-212 waiver, for which she will have to prove that she is unable to move to the United Kingdom. I know they speak funny English there, but that's not reason enough. So she should consult with a waiver attorney who then will subpoena the husband's A-file and have a look what's inside. He will also advice her if there's a way to claim hardship at a degree that would warrant issuing a waiver.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

They need to find out what he was deported for. Was it the overstay? Was it the crime? Did he claim to be a USC at ANY stage of his life (and if so on what paperwork)?

Unfortunately the only advice we can give is he needs a GOOD immigration attorney because they won't want to screw this up or delay this more than necessary.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

That is really harsh and just not fair that they

can separate families like that.

And it's amazing they still expect him to pay

child support on a child they won't even let

him see.

The daughter can always travel or move to the UK to be with dad. So, the only thing preventing dad from see his child is based on the criminality he committed in the US while being a foreign citizen. US laws are very explicit on the consequences when foreign nationals abuse their LPR status by committing certain crimes. While I can empathize with a 16 years old doing stupid things, LPRs are guests in this country and certain bad behaviors will result in the revocation of the privilege to live here.

Timeline

Hey guys!!

Forgive me for being the pain here, but.. if it's important to them, shouldn't they be researching it for themselves?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Waivers forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.