Captain Ewok

Moving to the US Summary List/ Canadian Immigration Guide

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Please see the following Wiki page for the Canada Immigration Guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Canada

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This has some very useful information! Thank you!

However, I got a great giggle out of the grocery items that you cannot get in the US. There are quite a few items on there that are indeed available in multiple regions of the US, i.e. KitKat candy and Oreo Cookies. At every grocery store I have ever been to and I've lived in Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Colorado, and Michigan. Maybe it is just limited regionally?

Again, very useful list! Thanks for putting it together!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Beth & John
~K-1 Visa Process~
NOA1: October 29, 2009
NOA2: January 21, 2010
Interview Date: April 12, 2010 - APPROVED!
Visa Received: April 26, 2010
POE: May 11, 2010
Wedding: May 21, 2010

~AOS/EAD/AP~
Sent: June 8, 2010
Received at Chicago Lockbox: June 10, 2010
Email/text notification of NOA1: June 16, 2010
Check cashed: June 17, 2010
Case shows up on USCIS website: June 18, 2010
Hard copies of NOA1's arrive: June 18, 2010
Touch on all 3 cases: June 21, 2010
Biometrics letter: Received June 24, 2010, scheduled for July 15, successful walk-in June 30th!
Touch on AOS/EAD cases: July 1, 2010
EAD and AP approval: August 6, 2010
EAD Card Production: August 9, 2010
AP received: August 13, 2010
EAD Card received: August 16, 2010
AOS Interview: August 23, 2010 APPROVED!

~ROC~
Sent: August 7, 2012
Check cashed: August 14, 2012
NOA1: August 10, 2012
Biometrics: September 13, 2012
RFE: April 1, 2013; response mailed April 2, 2013
Approved: April 22, 2013

Green Card Production ordered: June 12, 2013 (email received)

Green Card Received: June 17, 2013

Filed: Timeline

Thanks! :)

Yes, there are a few places you can get some of the items. Keep in mind, however, that the majority of the listed items may be available in the US, but they're not made with the same ingredients. There are US versions and Canadian/British versions and they taste completely different. :(

iagree.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey new on here but i just wanted to put out there that on the list of things the U.S. does not have one is wrong.. and that is the beloved TIM HORTONS. AS MY WIFE LOVES THEIR COFFEE:) They have TIMS here but they are normally in the midwest. Deffinatly IN OHIO.. and just for your knowledge that an XL cup in the US is bigger than the one in CANADA. Just put that out there for you TIMMIES lovers MOVE TO OHIO around the COLUMBUS AREA if you are a DIE HARD TIM LOVER LIKE MY WIFE LOL:)

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage :

I-130 Sent : 2009-04-07

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-04-14

I-130 Approved : 2009-06-12

Receive IV Bill : 2009-08-25

Pay IV Bill : 2009-08-25

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-08-28

Case Completed at NVC :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received : 2009-12-18

Packet 4 Received : 2009-12-10

Interview Date : 2010-01-06 Submit Review

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry : 2010-02-06

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 59 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 267 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Timeline

Welcome to VJ! Believe me, Tim Hortons has been covered to death on the Cdn forum,lol I'm one of its biggest supporters! RI has them, but I actually dont care for the TImmys in the USA, just doesn't taste the same to me, probably a different cream. Merry xmas and welcome to VJ

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I dont see MISS VICKIES chips on the list. dear god i have looked for these chips and the only thing that comes close to it is "kettle" chips. My Canuck friends visited on December and they brought 3 grocery bag full of miss vickies chips and my parents brough 2 more grocery bags of them. My husbad told me that they could not be that special until he and his friend tried them and it is very addicting. they finished 1+ bag of the chips each and they are not the small bags. LOL

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If the beneficiary resides in Alberta (Edmonton) are they going Montreal or Vancouver Consulate?

K1 JOURNEY

03/10/2010 - Sent I-129F via Priority USPS-Arrived 03/12/10

03/16/2010 - USCIS deposited $455 check & generated case # 03/17/10

03/15/2010 -NOA1 Dated

03/19/2010 -NOA1 Received

-NOA2 Received

05/17/2010 -Packet III Received by Fiance (Beneficiary)

02/22/2011 -K1 visa approved and issued in Vancouver, BC.

07/08/2011 -POE US territory-

07/11/2011 -Got to my arms in SF

08/09/2011 -Married!!!

• 5 months later...

I know this is important to me (and I didn't see it... maybe it's here-heh), so I thought I'd contribute:

VOTING FOR CANADIANS LIVING OUTSIDE OF CANADA

Edited by M613

Timeline

I know this is important to me (and I didn't see it... maybe it's here-heh), so I thought I'd contribute:

VOTING FOR CANADIANS LIVING OUTSIDE OF CANADA

I tried a sample questionnaire, filling it out as my wife would. Most folks here would likely be disqualified from voting for the same reason she is:

To qualify to vote, you must intend to return to Canada to resume residence in the future.

Reference: Paragraph 222(1)( c ), Canada Elections Act

Voting abroad procedures are in place to allow Canadian residents to be able to vote while away on business or vacation. People who have immigrated outside of Canada typically don't intend to return, and are thus deemed ineligible to vote in Canadian elections.

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've gone through and tried to make an overall summary list of what to do and who to tell about your move to the US as an immigrant. Please feel free to add information to this list from your own experiences. I've included links at the bottom of this post to useful threads already posted on Visa Journey (and borrowed heavily from them to make this list:smile.gif ). Hopefully this topic can be pinned as this question arises often.

Who to notify -re change of address or closing accounts

Personal
family doctor - also get copies of medical records for new doctor or permission to transfer files directly
Veterinarian- get copies of pet's medical records and make sure up to date on vaccinations
dentist - get copies of dental records or permission to transfer directly
Insurance - life and car - cancel -may get rebate - update with spouse's name if keeping
landlord - (usually 2 months notice required)
cleaning services - arrange final clean of premises after you leave and cancellation
Utilities - heat, gas, hydro, water/sewage -change of address and final account payment/closing
telephone provider - change of address and final account payment/closing
internet service provider - change of address and final account payment/closing
magazine subscriptions- change of address and any change in mailing costs
club memberships -change of address
Air miles plan -change of address
affinity cards - points cards for groceries, office supplies, etc. - change of address
sponsored children or any charities you support - change of address

Government
Canada Post - paid change of address for one year
Canada Revenue Agency - notify in writing of change of address and date leaving country re GST and CTB. (not eligible for either after leaving Canada)
Provincial Health Plan - not eligible after giving up Provincial residency
SIN -change of address
Canada Pension Plan - change of address (you will still get benefits when you retire if you have contributed) - add Spouse's name
passport -make sure it will be valid for a while or get a new one
Driver's License -keep and check driving requirements on your Cdn license in your new state
Car registration/sell car -notify DMV of change of address or sell car if not importing
Elections Canada - notify of change of address - you will need to notify Elections Canada of your out of country address so you can receive a special ballot in order to vote in any upcoming elections.

Employment
-notify employer of change of address
-give appropriate length notice
-obtain Record of Employment (ROE) from Employer as may be eligible for EI benefits
-obtain Letters of Reference for US Job search - US employer unlikely to call Canada
-get statement from employer's health insurance provider listing dates of coverage, especially if you have pre-existing condition, as US provider will require proof of previous -coverage to allow coverage of pre-existing condition (usually a one year wait period otherwise)
-pension plan or retirement benefits - may have to make electives from available options

Taxes
-employer - change of address for T-4s
-CRA - change of address in writing to mail you appropriate tax forms for exit taxes
-investments, etc - change of address for appropriate tax schedules/forms
-notify accountant of change of address

Vehicle
-decide if meets requirements for import and sell if not
-get compliance letter from manufacturer
-obtain/verify insurance to cover you until car is registered and insured in US
-contact lien holder and ensure they allow vehicle to leave Canada
-check into vehicle registration requirements in new state
-notify DMV of change of address - may be rebate if plates returned

Moving your Animals and Plants
-veterinary certificates/proof of rabies - bring copies of pets medical records; have food and travelling supplies for pet
-CITES certificates (birds and reptiles) -make sure you can import an exotic pet and have appropriate forms - CITES may be required
-Phyto-sanitary certificates (houseplants) - inspection within 2 weeks prior to moving by CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency)

Financial Concerns
-bank change of address - set up accounts to monitor online, keep one account open for CRA direct deposit; of refunds
-have to notify IRS of foreign accounts over $10,000 http://www.irs.gov/p...-pdf/f90221.pdf
-RRSP - decide what to do and notify change of address
-Employment retirement plans -change of address and choose from listed options from provider
-any loans - make arrangements to continue payments
-notify brokers re: investments -change of address
-credit cards - Visa, Mastercard, AmEx, Canadian Tire, gas cards, store cards, etc -change of address, no need to cancel
-obtain copies of Canadian credit report - you will have no credit in the US and they won't check Canadian sources so bring them with you - may help

Customs
-be aware of restrictions and dispose of items you can't import or don't want to import (alcohol, firearms, etc.)

Miscellaneous
-have friend or family monitor mail box to ensure mail is being forwarded or collected
-locate and bring important personal documents - school records, degrees, awards, accomplishments, birth certificates/baptismal certificates for self and children; court documents
-bring a telephone directory from your Canadian city
-University Transcripts - get copies
-University Alumni - notify of change of address
-Driver's Abstract - get copy (may be required for licensing in new state)

Useful links to other discussion on this topic:
http://www.visajourn...03#entry3288403

http://www.visajourn...0

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Two useful posts from other threads:

Southern Canadian Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:29 PM Hello everyone.. hope that you've all had a good day so far biggrin.gif

As most of you know, my big move to the US will be on July 19.. which is coming up very quickly. I've searched the forums on VJ and gathered a list of things that need to be done before moving to the States. But I had a question about a few things. I noticed that I need to contact Canada Post, Canada Revenue Agency, The Ministry of Transportation and Ontario Health. The question is.. when should I be making those calls? Now?? The day before?? Or after I move?? Also, when I call each place, what exactly am I calling to inform them of? I know I call Canada Post to inform them of my new address and Ontario Health to let them know that I will no longer need it. When I call the Ministry of Transportation, is it to cancel my Canadian drivers license? I sure hope not, because I'll be driving to the US with all of my stuff. And my last question is, are there any other people/places that you think I might need to contact to inform them of my move or are those four the main ones, aside from cell phone company, visa, master card, etc.

Below is a list that I have gathered from past forums. Maybe it can be of help to someone else who is preparing for their move to the States:

- A copy of your letter of experience from your car insurance agent (you might be able to get good rate from a US insurer with this)

- A copy of your drivers abstract from the DMV

- Getting official university transcripts

- Get a copy of your medical records from your family doctor and dentist for your new US physician's records

- Close any bank accounts that you do not intend to use after you cross the border. (Some banks may not close your account if you are not there in person.)

- For any bank accounts that you do wish to keep open in Canada, try to get online access

- If you are going to be added to your partner's insurance, get a statement from your current insurer in Canada that you are covered from (beginning date) to (end date) - especially if there is any sort of a pre-existing health situation - some insurers need proof of continuing insurance coverage if you want to get immediate coverage without a waiting period

- Notify all utilities or regular account billers (ie. hydro, internet, phone, insurance, etc.) of date of last service and new address to send last bill on account and KEEP PHOTOCOPIES of all of these notifications

- Notify Canada Revenue Agency of new address - especially if you receive GST credit since any money paid after you cross the border will have to be repaid and to receive the tax package for the year that you leave

- Keep at least one Canadian account open if you are expecting a refund from CRA next tax year as it makes it easy for direct deposit

- Notify credit card holders of new address and if necessary, close accounts

- Obtain copy of Canadian Credit report - may or may not be accepted in the US but could be useful if applying for car loan jointly, etc.

http://canadian-cred...rt.com/free.htm I called the number that they give on that site and got my free credit report within a week of calling.

- Change mailing address with Canada Post

- Set aside important documents - school records, family photogaphs, personal achievements, correspondence, health records, receipts for warrantied appliances or proof of purchase for items being moved to the US. (Include serial numbers for electronics), plus last 7 years income tax records in case of audit, and bring; prepare a photocopy of every identification document - credit cards, birth certificate, SIN card, bank cards, etc. along with contact addresses and put copy in with important documents

- Decide what to do with RRSPs and non-locked-in employment pensions

- Notify Canada Pension Plan office of new address

- Notify Provincial health insurance of date leaving Canada

- Get Record of Employment from employer as may be eligible to apply for Employment Insurance once in US

- If you can, bring a telephone directory from your Canadian city with you in case you needs to look up numbers after you leaves. Arrange with friend or neighbour to check former residence after you leaves to verify mail, etc. isn't being left at old address

- Leave new mailing address with same neighbour. If possible, try to pay off any outstanding debts prior to moving, but if not, definitely contact debt holders and make arrangements to keep paying on debts (ie. student loans, credit card bills, etc.). Use up any bonus points left on credit or account cards (Petropoints or Shoper Drugmart points, etc.); donate items to Good Will and receive income tax receipt for charitable deduction

- Contact your employment references before you leave the country and ask them to write you a letter of recommendation that you can include with your resume and job applications in the US. It is unlikely a potential employer will contact someone outside of the country for references so try to make it as easy as possible for them to get those references. They may choose to follow up a really good reference with a call, if you make the short list but having the reference in front of them makes it easier for them to want to hire you

- Check customs list of banned and restricted items (ie alcohol, firearms, tobacco, items of ivory/endangered species, lottery tickets, etc.) to make sure you follow the necessary guidelines for allowable amounts and forms.

- Stock up on any food and other items that will be missed in the US. as almost everything is by prescription in the US.

Feel free to add to the list if I have missed something important. Thanks guys!! kicking.gif

Kathryn41: Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:16 PM I found it useful to make up a 'form letter' that contained my old address, my new address, information about the effective date of leaving, effective date of cancelling accounts (utilities, insurance, phone, etc.), then leaving a space where I would write in the account number and the name of the recipient (hydro company, ISP provider, etc.). I made photocopies of each completed form, then sent them either enclosed with the bill or to a separate address if the bill said 'do not send mail'. It made it much easier to notify everyone and proved useful when the cable company insisted I didn't notify them and wanted to charge me an extra 3 months worth of bills. I sent them the photocopy of the notice that was sent with the cheque and the bank statement showing the date the cheque was cashed. They backed down. I also got refunds on my last telephone bill and my different insurances so that was nice.

Get copies of your medical records from your doctor and a letter from your employer's health coverage verifying that you are insured so you can provide it if requested by your new medical insurer. If you have any prescriptions see if you can get several months worth filled before you move as it may take some time to get into see a US doctor to get a US prescription (Yes, there are long wait times in the US too!).

Have a neighbour still check your mailbox of your old apartment or house even though you send a change of address notification to Canada Post. They 'missed' re-directing a months worth of my mail and my neighbour collected it for me and sent it to me. I did get a refund from Canada Post for the non-redirected mail but it was a nuisance. Having someone check as a precaution is a good idea.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Excellent, and extremely useful, post! Thanks for doing this, Kathryn!

Naturalization Journey

02-08-2016: N-400 sent

03-08-2016: Biometrics appointment

03-11-2016: Notification "in-line for interview"

04-04-2016: Received interview letter (for May 11)

05-11-2016: Interview (passed!)

06-27-2016: Oath ceremony-->I'm a US citizen!

ROC Journey

06-16-2014: I-751 application package sent to VSC

06-20-2014: Date of NOA1

07-18-2014: Biometrics appointment

11-18-2014: Case transferred to CSC

02-24-2015: ROC approved!!

AOS Journey
02-06-2012: I-485 (plus I-765 and I-131) sent
02-14-2012: Requested an expedite of my EAD due to job offer
02-29-2012: Contacted congressman to help with EAD expedite request
03-02-2012: EAD + AP approved! (Day 25)
09-27-2012: Green card received! (no interview!)

K-1 Visa Journey
05-18-2011: NOA1
11-21-2011: NOA2 *only* 187 days from NOA1!
01-05-2012: Interview at consulate in Vancouver, Canada - visa approved!!!!
01-18-2012: Wedding!!! Yay! We are married!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.