littlepoem

to become an american citizen or not

245 posts in this topic

I wonder if anyone else feels like I do. I have been married for 4 years to an American citizen and I am Canadian. At times I think about getting my American citizenship but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. I am a permanent resident and I am not sure why I would become an American citizen. I guess I have a strong attachment to being Canadian and am proud of my country and my heritage. I know I have nothing to lose by becoming a citizen and probably more to gain but I am what I am, no matter what you call me...I am Canadian dammit lol...does anyone else feel this way. Actually, I never really felt that patriotic about my country until I left it.....ok i am done ranting....I just wondered how other Canadians felt. :huh:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

moved from off topic forum to Canadian forum

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
I wonder if anyone else feels like I do. I have been married for 4 years to an American citizen and I am Canadian. At times I think about getting my American citizenship but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. I am a permanent resident and I am not sure why I would become an American citizen. I guess I have a strong attachment to being Canadian and am proud of my country and my heritage. I know I have nothing to lose by becoming a citizen and probably more to gain but I am what I am, no matter what you call me...I am Canadian dammit lol...does anyone else feel this way. Actually, I never really felt that patriotic about my country until I left it.....ok i am done ranting....I just wondered how other Canadians felt. :huh:

Of course! I feel the same way. But, I know, that regardless of what passports I hold (this will be my third as I have british citizenship as well) that I'm Canadian at heart and it's in my blood.

I would like to vote, though, in the country I live in so I don't become complacent. I would also like the chance to take a government position in which I needed to be a US Citizen, if needed.

Don't feel bad for feeling how you feel. One of the biggest reasons I want to get my citizenship is because I figure after that's done, I don't have to be bothered by USCIS again like I'm foreign.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have my U.S. citizenship now, but I will always be, first and foremost, Canadian!!!!

I do feel the same way you do and will always feel like Canada is my "home", but I am also a proud American. I have both passports and will probably always keep both of them.

My husband and I plan to move back to Canada in about 6 years when my husband retires.... we're just not sure if we'll make it through the Canadian immigration process!!!!

I would go for your U.S. citizenship.... what have you got to lose?

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Of course! I feel the same way. But, I know, that regardless of what passports I hold (this will be my third as I have british citizenship as well) that I'm Canadian at heart and it's in my blood.

I would like to vote, though, in the country I live in so I don't become complacent. I would also like the chance to take a government position in which I needed to be a US Citizen, if needed.

Don't feel bad for feeling how you feel. One of the biggest reasons I want to get my citizenship is because I figure after that's done, I don't have to be bothered by USCIS again like I'm foreign.

True, being able to vote would be good. I guess if I don't vote I don't have the right to bit**. Now that I have my 10 year card I don't worry to much about dealing with paperwork and stuff anymore. I love my job and I can't see me working for the Gov anytime soon....ha

Timeline

Like the Treble, one of the reasons I will eventually, most likely, become a citizen here is so I can vote.... that is extremely important to me. Also, in the future my husband and I may move to Canada and I wouldn't want to lose my permanent residence here. Finally, we plan on having children and I'd like to have US citizenship as my kids will. But, it won't bother me because I'm 100% Canadian, always will be and the US citizenship will be on paper only, pretty much. It's more for logistical purposes than anything, I know who I am :) Oh and I don't ever want to deal with USCIS again when that time comes either :lol:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I have a question this is more on the whole whats to gian by being an american citizen thing. Most university's charge you double if you're not from America. Do you need to be a citizen of the US to get the normal rate or is LPR good enough to get the normal rate.

I know that's probablly a pretty lame reason to get citizenship but that's where my brain goes.

Also my daughter as a LPR of the US will I have to pay for her to attend public school?

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I have a question this is more on the whole whats to gian by being an american citizen thing. Most university's charge you double if you're not from America. Do you need to be a citizen of the US to get the normal rate or is LPR good enough to get the normal rate.

I know that's probablly a pretty lame reason to get citizenship but that's where my brain goes.

Also my daughter as a LPR of the US will I have to pay for her to attend public school?

No as an LPR if she goes to public schools you do not have to pay, most colleges need you to be a resident and live in the state to charge you in state tutition :D

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Timeline
I think I just need to get over feeling like I would be a traitor thingy...geesh...I love the U.S. It sure does feel good talking to other Canadians that understand though!!! thanks Canada!!

:thumbs:

NArocks - Thanks!

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I now have American citizenship! Didnt really want to, but thats another story that wont be told,lol! I stil consider myself 100% Cdn! Only time it dons on me that I have USA citizenship is when I travel and require my USA passport and at my last job interview when they asked if I was legally able to work in the USA--as all my employment had been with the CDn Armed Forces,lol I then had to admit to be a USA citizen,lol I actually corrected my father last night when he was talking to a neighbor here in Saskatoon. He stated I was an American. I very quickly stated, that NO, I am not an american, I am cdn, but now reside in the USA. USA is a country full fo great people, but still Canada is my true country!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I totally hear you regarding this mental barrier you face when deciding to go for US Citizenship. I don't quite know what it is either that I don't like about it, but I just don't. However, I will most likely end up getting my US Citizenship so that when/if I do decide to go back to Canada with hubby (and let him go through the immigration process), I know I can move back freely and easily, should I ever decide to return back to the USA. I will probably do as Flames does and not tell anyone unless it is vitally important that they know. But hey, I'll always be 100% Canadian :D

Timeline

I documented my U.S. citizenship a few years ago (by descent).

I was born in Canada, I am Canadian. Did documenting that citizenship change anything? no. Does having a U.S. passport change anything? no.

Timeline

I faced these same questions myself. In fact, I am taking my US citizenship exam and interview this coming Thursday. After a lot of consideration my reasons have very little to do with ideology and everything to do with practicality. First, becoming a citizen means never having to be involved with USCIS again - a really big incentive (VBG!). Second, I too believe that it is important to be involved in your community and that democracy is not a spectator sport. I miss not having a voice and being able to vote so I want to be able to have a say in the governing of the country where I live. Third, both Joe and I are getting on in years. He is due to retire in a few years and the reality of living as a senior citizen in the US is very close. It may be that we will not be able to afford health care if the situation doesn't change once he retires. We may need for our own survival to move back to Canada. Taking out US citizenship means that we have the option to live in either Canada or the US - whichever country is more affordable for us - without having to worry about USCIS. Dealing with Canadian immigration for Joe would be a cinch. Finally, permanent residents are treated totally different in matters such as estate taxation - if anything happened to Joe I would not inherit our jointly own property free and clear. I would be required to pay tax on the whole value of our property even while I am still living on it - which means I could not afford to live here anymore. As a US citizen, the estate tax would be deferred until my own death. As a US citizen I would be eligible for social security programmes that I am not eligible for as a PR - again, not something that is pleasant to think about, but still a reality when you are in your 50s and 60s.

Like others have said, I am and always will be first and foremost, a Canadian. After I get US citizenship as well, I think I would prefer to think of myself as a citizen of North America (Mexico notwithstanding).

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.