L_n_O

Moving: Canada to USA. What company did u use to ship ur stuff?

92 posts in this topic

Just doing some early research..

Realized that there's like a million companies out there and would like to hear from some ACTUAL ppl with their accounts of their shipping experiences.. (not renting truck and driving it yourself experiences - I think I would die if I had to do that right now)

So, feel free to include the companies name & website / phone number

I'm sure with all the visa approvals, this will be helpful to a lot of people

Happy shipping!

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh, good thread. Thanks, Liz.

I'd also be interested in shipping companies or experiences with shipping computer towers (especially if you don't have the box that came with it... yeah, I know :angry: ), if any of you want to share.

I know I'd personally be moving cross-continent (from Vancouver to Philadelphia) so I know I'm looking at a ton of money, myself. :wacko:

Edited by Nini & Bee

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I used ABF U-Pack: http://www.upack.com

I give them two thumbs up!

My review starts at this post: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=805325

Nini, if you are moving your computer, I'd strongly suggest that you disassemble it, pack the HD and cards and bring them across the border yourself. Or at the *very least*, just the HD. Reassemble it later when the tower arrives.

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

A lot of people seems to be happy with ABF's UPACK... I'll be looking to use them when I'm ready to move... Hopefully this summer.

Some merit to the thought of "store, ship and forget"... ;)

Scott.

June 3 - Mailed N-400, Application for Naturalization.

June 8 - Received email with Receipt Number.

June 11 - Biometrics appointment letter mailed out (June 30 at 1PM)

June 30 - Biometrics.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My Sister and her family came up here to Calgary last week to collect all their stuff from the basement and get it to Nebraska (in anticipation of our moving to the States).

They used ABF/UPac and it went well. They chose to pack the truck themselves as it was 50% cheaper and have it delivered to a city 40 mins away on the other end (again, much cheaper).

They packed the truck last Thursday, should arrive tomorrow (Wednesday). The ABF people were friendly and helpful. The person there mentioned they are getting the Econo Cubes here in Calgary by the end of June (currently you can only use the portion of the full sized truck method).

One thing that did happen, ABF called me on Sunday (about 2 hours after they had headed out - they were driving). The truck was stuck at the border at Montana as ABF forgot to get a photocopy of their visa. Anyway, the truck driver kept an eye out for them and they met up at Sweetgrass a few hours later.

We are going to use UPac when we move.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mine was about $1,100 USD for one relocube from Toronto to VA. Go to their website and request a free quote.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
How much was all of this?

I believe it was just under $800. They charge by the foot and they pretty much used the 'base' (minimum) amount, which is 5 feet long, 9 feet wide and 8 feet high.

After that you are charged $27 per foot.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm planning on using U-Pack too, and I'll also be moving from Vancouver to the eastern US. I got an online quote last February or so when I first read about them here, and IIRC it would've cost me about $1100 plus $37 for each extra foot of space. I checked again a few days ago, and the price is closer to $1500 and $100 for each extra foot.

That's door-to-door pricing. Terminal-to-terminal pricing would be closer to $1000 for me now. The jump in gas prices is probably why the prices went up so much.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I used Premiere Van Lines, and they were excellent. Not one thing of mine was broken, misplaced, or scratched, which is a miracle considering my curio cabinet has glass shelves. They were very efficient, friendly, and had all the information and forms I needed.

It cost a little over $3,000 to ship from southwest Nova Scotia to Oklahoma, because I have a lot of heavy things, particularly books! :whistle: And I got dinged with high gas prices.

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Timeline

After getting estimates and doing total cost comparisons, I chose to use professional movers. The cost was very reasonable, given someone else was doing all the paperwork and heavy lifting. As well, anything damaged in the move would have been covered by insurance.

I called 4 moving companies for estimates and chose United. Make sure when you're doing your cost comparisons that you read the fine print and check each line item for the rates. Each type of service is charged at a different rate, so you need to compare apples to apples. You'll see what I mean once you receive the estimates. Your best rates will come from the major moving lines because they can bundle your belongings with other deliveries in order to save on shipping costs.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I also used ABF U-Pack....... great service, very helpful..... I used them almost 3 months ago to move my stuff from Calgary, Alberta to Tulsa, Oklahoma..... it took exactly one week and cost me $1300.00 US.

I would highly recommend them.

Susan in Tulsa

Feb 17/06 - I-129F Petition sent

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

June 7/06 - Packet 3 rec'd

Sept 6/06 - Packet 3 sent

Sept 15/06 - Rec'd letter with interview date

Sept 28/06 - Interview in Vancouver,BC and Visa in hand!

March 13/07 - US Entry

March 15/07 - WEDDING DAY

March 21/07 - AOS application & Interview through DORA Day 1

April 13/07 - Rec'd letter with Bio Appt. date Day 24

April 27/07 - Biometrics Appointment "touched" Day 38

April 30/07 - "Touched" Day 40

June 8/07 - Day 79...still waiting, haven't been touched or heard anything.

June 13/07 - Day 84..... I'm not having much faith in this DORA process..... closing in on the 90 day time frame real fast.....

June 19/07 - Day 90 ......nothing (Hubby calls Senator's Office)

June 20/07 - Day 91 - Got the "70 Day Letter" in the mail today :-(

June 22/07 - Mailed out EAD and AP by Priority Post Day 93

June 24/07 - EAD rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

June 29/07 - Day 100 - Infopass appt in OKC..... AOS stuck in name check

July 3/07 - Day 104 - Rec'd NOA for EAD

July 6/07 - Day 107 - Rec'd letter for EAD Bio Appt. for July 18th

July 18/07 -Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Question in all of this:

How do I provide a copy of my VISA when I haven't crossed the border yet myself. When you get the VISA in the mail from Montreal...can you open the envelope or is it another of those 'don't open it' situations until the border guy has.

Sorry - haven't gotten to that step in the process yet to knwo any better :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline
Question in all of this:

How do I provide a copy of my VISA when I haven't crossed the border yet myself. When you get the VISA in the mail from Montreal...can you open the envelope or is it another of those 'don't open it' situations until the border guy has.

In my case I scanned all my documents (I-94, visa, and passport picture page) and emailed them with a signed letter to the moving company as soon as I got here. I then printed out the same scanned documents and sent them with the original letter by courier.

The visa will be in your passport, not in the envelope.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Question in all of this:

Your visa will be in your passport...... I just made copies of everything and gave them to the truck driver. With using ABF they told me I had to prove that I was physically in the US before they released my stuff from the terminal in Calgary and sent it on it's way. So the next day after I arrived in the US I went to the ABF terminal here in Tulsa and they faxed a copy of my I-94 back to the terminal in Calgary and all was well.

ABF drops their trailer front of your residence, you load it.... I loaded over the weekend of March 10/11th, they came back and picked it up on Monday, March 12th..... I flew to Tulsa on Tuesday, March 13th, had ABF in Tulsa fax the copy of my I-94 on Wednesday, March 14th......and they released my stuff and sent it on it's way on Thursday, March 15th.

Susan in Tulsa

Feb 17/06 - I-129F Petition sent

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

June 7/06 - Packet 3 rec'd

Sept 6/06 - Packet 3 sent

Sept 15/06 - Rec'd letter with interview date

Sept 28/06 - Interview in Vancouver,BC and Visa in hand!

March 13/07 - US Entry

March 15/07 - WEDDING DAY

March 21/07 - AOS application & Interview through DORA Day 1

April 13/07 - Rec'd letter with Bio Appt. date Day 24

April 27/07 - Biometrics Appointment "touched" Day 38

April 30/07 - "Touched" Day 40

June 8/07 - Day 79...still waiting, haven't been touched or heard anything.

June 13/07 - Day 84..... I'm not having much faith in this DORA process..... closing in on the 90 day time frame real fast.....

June 19/07 - Day 90 ......nothing (Hubby calls Senator's Office)

June 20/07 - Day 91 - Got the "70 Day Letter" in the mail today :-(

June 22/07 - Mailed out EAD and AP by Priority Post Day 93

June 24/07 - EAD rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

June 29/07 - Day 100 - Infopass appt in OKC..... AOS stuck in name check

July 3/07 - Day 104 - Rec'd NOA for EAD

July 6/07 - Day 107 - Rec'd letter for EAD Bio Appt. for July 18th

July 18/07 -Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.