coldwatersurf

my K3 interview review @ vancouver consulate :)

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

my appointment today was at 1pm. I arrived at 12:45pm @ 1095 W. Pender Street. I look at the board that shows which floor is the consulate. It says that I have to enter from the Enterance @ 1075 W. Pender street. The doors are on the side of 1075 W. Pender Street.

I presented my appointment letter and they check my name off their list. There were 3 other ppl for K visa appointments. I go through the first security and metal detector check. I had to give them all my documents and present my passport w/ the appointment letter. I had to take my belt off, my pen, and wallet. everything was good and they told me to go up the stairs. I was putting my belt back on before the next door. lol. then the lady on the other side of the door told me to come in. Turns out the check is not over yet. haha. The lady had to clear the security card for me for the elevators and I go up to the 20th floor. Once I got out of the elevator, there is another security and metal detector. So i had to take my belt off again and give the security all my other stuff. The second security guy was kind of grumpy. took everything out of my envelope and left it for me to put it back together. good thing i stapled everything and made sure they werent as easy to tear apart and mix it up (another girl from my medical exam warned me about this as she had to rearrange her papers after going through the security check). Then they let me through the non immigrant visa room.

Once I walk in, there were numbers being called. I didnt know where to get a number ?? I asked one of the girls with the number sheet where she got her number. Of course.. she was mumbling so i had to ask another girl. She happens to be there for her K1 visa. So ... you do not need a number. They will call your name.

THIS IS STEP 1:

Once my name was called, you have to go to counter B. It's just a counter window just like when you get your tickets @ the movie theatre. They will collect all the documents that was listed on your checklist and make sure everything is complete. So I gave them:

* passport

* 2 pictures 2"x2"

* 2 prints of DS 156

* 1 print of DS230

* Sealed medical exam results

* Long form birth certificate - I was born in Philippines and the guy said he has never seen the form of my birth certificate before. It might be new. He said the ones he has seen is an ugly paper old looking paper. LOL. Mine was printed nicely and clean looking but had complete information. LMAO. I started getting worried.

* 1 orig copy of Police Certificate - NOTE: I received my police certificate from RCMP with my married name. The consulate said they want your police record from ALL your names. You are suppose to tell the RCMP about this. Since RCMP does not do finger print check, you have to tell them other names to give you a full report of your background. The consulate said it should read something like - Jane Do aka Jane Do Johnson aka whatever other name you've used. I didnt know this and I was sh*tting my pants hoping i dont have to get another one - but they accepted my police report at the end. But thought you guys should know as he said it is a common mistake.

* 1 copy of Scotia Bank Receipt - This was one of my biggest boo boo. I thought the other copy was for me. I overlooked the checklist and I HAVE to give them 2 "original" prints NOT copies - but it all works out at the end as they said I can come back and give it to them and they will still process my application.

They will give your folder or envelope your forms are in. They also gave me back my checklist.

So they told us to wait for 30 minutes. Which felt really long and its really warm in the room so it was making me feel tired.

STEP 2:

They call your name up again and you approach Counter A. they take your finger prints and tell you to take a seat. So I wait for about 20 more minutes.

STEP 3: the interview

It didnt even feel like an interview. They have all your files in front of them and they just want to confirm a couple of things.

* How, where and when did we meet

* when did I get engaged

* where and when did I get married

* What does my husband do for living

* What company he works for

* how much he makes - the lady could barely hear me so I just gave her my husband's employment letter which states everything she was asking me.

* What do I do for living

* How much I make

* asked for an evidence for bona fide marriage - I showed her the pictures which she flips through within 10 seconds

* Asked if I have ever been arrested

And finally she tells me that the only thing missing is the one copy of Receipt from Scotia Bank. by this time, its 2:50pm. I volunteered to run home and give her the receipt but they close at 4pm so it was too close to closing time. she said to bring it on Tuesday and she will trade the receipt for my visa. she reminds me that they do not process AOS and EAD and I cannot work when I arrive in US. Otherwise, at the end, I ask her "so I am good to go and approved?". she said yes and to come back on Tuesday at 2pm to pick up my visa. :) yay. then she said to have a seat for a couple more minutes until our name is called.

STEP 4:

Finally, my name was called again and the guy just wanted to repeat everything the lady said and that my police certificate and birth certificate are accepted. He said I just have to promise to bring the original receipt from Scotia Bank and they will print my visa for Tuesday. He kept asking me and making sure that I actually have the receipt. LOL. or else he jokingly said he will make me pay another fee for printing a visa.

so i am basically approved :)

The Vancouver consulate is very casual and friendly. You do not have to dress up. You are not in a small 4 wall room for the interview. You just talk through the glass window. It is warm in the waiting room. It is a small room. They didnt ask me about I-134 which some of you know I was freaking out about the day before. I talked to 2 other K visa applicants and learned a lot about their visa journey. Both girls didnt know about VJ. (i was surprised.lol) One girl hired a lawyer. the other lady did it herself but i felt sad for her b/c somewhere down the line, her spouse and she read that they cannot see each other until the whole visa process is done. so she hasnt seen her fiance in a year. I told them to go to VJ if they need answers or assistance in the future.

I was in at 12:45pm and out at 3:05pm

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

my appointment today was at 1pm. I arrived at 12:45pm @ 1095 W. Pender Street. I look at the board that shows which floor is the consulate. It says that I have to enter from the Enterance @ 1075 W. Pender street. The doors are on the side of 1075 W. Pender Street.

I presented my appointment letter and they check my name off their list. There were 3 other ppl for K visa appointments. I go through the first security and metal detector check. I had to give them all my documents and present my passport w/ the appointment letter. I had to take my belt off, my pen, and wallet. everything was good and they told me to go up the stairs. I was putting my belt back on before the next door. lol. then the lady on the other side of the door told me to come in. Turns out the check is not over yet. haha. The lady had to clear the security card for me for the elevators and I go up to the 20th floor. Once I got out of the elevator, there is another security and metal detector. So i had to take my belt off again and give the security all my other stuff. The second security guy was kind of grumpy. took everything out of my envelope and left it for me to put it back together. good thing i stapled everything and made sure they werent as easy to tear apart and mix it up (another girl from my medical exam warned me about this as she had to rearrange her papers after going through the security check). Then they let me through the non immigrant visa room.

Once I walk in, there were numbers being called. I didnt know where to get a number ?? I asked one of the girls with the number sheet where she got her number. Of course.. she was mumbling so i had to ask another girl. She happens to be there for her K1 visa. So ... you do not need a number. They will call your name.

THIS IS STEP 1:

Once my name was called, you have to go to counter B. It's just a counter window just like when you get your tickets @ the movie theatre. They will collect all the documents that was listed on your checklist and make sure everything is complete. So I gave them:

* passport

* 2 pictures 2"x2"

* 2 prints of DS 156

* 1 print of DS230

* Sealed medical exam results

* Long form birth certificate - I was born in Philippines and the guy said he has never seen the form of my birth certificate before. It might be new. He said the ones he has seen is an ugly paper old looking paper. LOL. Mine was printed nicely and clean looking but had complete information. LMAO. I started getting worried.

* 1 orig copy of Police Certificate - NOTE: I received my police certificate from RCMP with my married name. The consulate said they want your police record from ALL your names. You are suppose to tell the RCMP about this. Since RCMP does not do finger print check, you have to tell them other names to give you a full report of your background. The consulate said it should read something like - Jane Do aka Jane Do Johnson aka whatever other name you've used. I didnt know this and I was sh*tting my pants hoping i dont have to get another one - but they accepted my police report at the end. But thought you guys should know as he said it is a common mistake.

* 1 copy of Scotia Bank Receipt - This was one of my biggest boo boo. I thought the other copy was for me. I overlooked the checklist and I HAVE to give them 2 "original" prints NOT copies - but it all works out at the end as they said I can come back and give it to them and they will still process my application.

They will give your folder or envelope your forms are in. They also gave me back my checklist.

So they told us to wait for 30 minutes. Which felt really long and its really warm in the room so it was making me feel tired.

STEP 2:

They call your name up again and you approach Counter A. they take your finger prints and tell you to take a seat. So I wait for about 20 more minutes.

STEP 3: the interview

It didnt even feel like an interview. They have all your files in front of them and they just want to confirm a couple of things.

* How, where and when did we meet

* when did I get engaged

* where and when did I get married

* What does my husband do for living

* What company he works for

* how much he makes - the lady could barely hear me so I just gave her my husband's employment letter which states everything she was asking me.

* What do I do for living

* How much I make

* asked for an evidence for bona fide marriage - I showed her the pictures which she flips through within 10 seconds

* Asked if I have ever been arrested

And finally she tells me that the only thing missing is the one copy of Receipt from Scotia Bank. by this time, its 2:50pm. I volunteered to run home and give her the receipt but they close at 4pm so it was too close to closing time. she said to bring it on Tuesday and she will trade the receipt for my visa. she reminds me that they do not process AOS and EAD and I cannot work when I arrive in US. Otherwise, at the end, I ask her "so I am good to go and approved?". she said yes and to come back on Tuesday at 2pm to pick up my visa. :) yay. then she said to have a seat for a couple more minutes until our name is called.

STEP 4:

Finally, my name was called again and the guy just wanted to repeat everything the lady said and that my police certificate and birth certificate are accepted. He said I just have to promise to bring the original receipt from Scotia Bank and they will print my visa for Tuesday. He kept asking me and making sure that I actually have the receipt. LOL. or else he jokingly said he will make me pay another fee for printing a visa.

so i am basically approved :)

The Vancouver consulate is very casual and friendly. You do not have to dress up. You are not in a small 4 wall room for the interview. You just talk through the glass window. It is warm in the waiting room. It is a small room. They didnt ask me about I-134 which some of you know I was freaking out about the day before. I talked to 2 other K visa applicants and learned a lot about their visa journey. Both girls didnt know about VJ. (i was surprised.lol) One girl hired a lawyer. the other lady did it herself but i felt sad for her b/c somewhere down the line, her spouse and she read that they cannot see each other until the whole visa process is done. so she hasnt seen her fiance in a year. I told them to go to VJ if they need answers or assistance in the future.

I was in at 12:45pm and out at 3:05pm

Congratulations!! Now the long wait over the long weekend for your visa!! The hard part is over!!

Do you get your long form birth certificate returned to you at the end of the interview?

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

nope they kept mine.

K-3:

Removal of Conditions

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

Timeline

oh yeah..... they gave me my orig. marriage certificate.

Edited by borderdriver

K-3:

Removal of Conditions

Congratulations! Thanks for the detailed report. You should link it to your signature for others to see. The RCMP item you mentioned..that's mentioned all the time here. If you missed it, I'm sorry.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations on your successsful interview!

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

^Thanks :)

Congratulations! Thanks for the detailed report. You should link it to your signature for others to see. The RCMP item you mentioned..that's mentioned all the time here. If you missed it, I'm sorry.

I never read about it :( i wish i did more research. but I'm good and done now. All I read about is to go to the RCMP @ heather instead of the Police Station. When I went to Police Station, they need a document from Consulate that you need the Police certificate and there was 12 days waiting time for the processing. It is also a finger print check and its about $60 or so. I guess you dont need to worry about the different names w/ Police station. RCMP only charged me $30 and its a name check. Which I didnt know. But at the same time I told RCMP my maiden name and married name and they didnt include my middle name on the police report. I guess you have to tell RCMP how and what you'd like to see on your report :lol:

Edit: I love how you remind everyone about their signatures and timelines :lol: Its really helpful. I notice it all the time in the forums. I am learning.

Edited by borderdriver

K-3:

Removal of Conditions

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Congratulations!

I'm confused about the police report though. Do you need the fingerprint check or is just the name check OK?

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Congratulations!

I'm confused about the police report though. Do you need the fingerprint check or is just the name check OK?

Apparently, you only need a fingerprint check if you have a criminal record. If not, name check is good!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations on your approval! :)

ROC

Sept 9/11 - Sent I-751 Package in Mail

Sept 12/11 - Package received at CSC

Sept 15/11 - Cheque cashed

Sept 16/11 - Receive NOA for I-751

Sept 19/11 - Receive Biometrics Appointment Letter dated 9/15/2011

Oct 7/11 - Biometrics Appointment

Dec 2/11 - Greencard production ordered

Dec 3/11 - received email from USCIS advising card production

AOS

Aug 6/09 - Sent AOS, EAD, AP Package in mail

Aug 8/09 - Packaged received in Chicago

Aug 13/09 - Cheque cashed

Aug 17/09 - Receive NOA for I-485, I-765 and I-131

Aug 21/09 - Receive Notice for Biometrics Appt

Aug 24/09 - RFE Sent in Mail

Aug 29/09 - RFE recieved

Sept 3/09 - Mail back RFE package

Sept 5/09 - RFE package received

Sept 10/09 - I-485 case resumed

Sept 10/09 - Address changed on I-485, I-765 and I-131

Sept 15/09 - Biometrics Appt

Sept 28/09 - AP Approved, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #1

Oct 1/09 - Received AP Hardcopy in Mail, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #2

Oct 5/09 - Received EAD Card

Oct 29/09 - Received Interview Letter

Dec 2/09 - Interview --APPROVED!!!!

Timeline

The consulate said name check is fine as long as all your names are listed on the report so it brings all the background of your history (if you have any). oh and it has to have all the names you have on your passport.

K-3:

Removal of Conditions

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

congrats

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Yeah, the interview is always a nervous thing for people who haven't done it. But it's about as ordinary as opening a bank account at a bank. Who are you, where do you work, OK.

The Scotia Bank thing must be new. Used to be that you paid the consulate when you were there. Cash only.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline
The consulate said name check is fine as long as all your names are listed on the report so it brings all the background of your history (if you have any). oh and it has to have all the names you have on your passport.

Great! Thanks for the information. :star:

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.