MapleLeafBaby

ANY OTHER SURPRISES I SHOULD BE AWARE OF???

30 posts in this topic

ok, after finding this site, I have discovered things I never knew... I would have gone obliviously to the boarder and likely created more work for myself!

I learned that I need a compliance letter for my car!

I should apply for credit now, while I am still in CA

I should register with the post office with I get to PA

I have about 60-90 days to trans my car papers etc...

I need med insurance to cover the gap until hubby adds us...

Any other surprises that you guys encountered that I may not have listed, please feel free to throw at me... I prefer now, rather than at the Consulate or Boarder, worse yet after I get there....

I know I also need an experience letter from my car insurance co, so hubby can add me...

Bring it on :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Other than trying to teach yourself to remove the old English u from certain words I think you've got a good list there :) Good luck!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not removing the U no matter WHAT anyone says. It belongs there!

March 13, 2009--Visa application handed to the post office.

March 16, 2009--Visa application received by Vermont Service Centre at 11:01 am. Let's hope that he actually put in everything he thought he did and they don't send it back to us!!

March 23, 2009--Got the whole package back. The cheque was apparently filled out incorrectly, thanks to the fact that his moronic flatmates helped him and instructed him wrong for the first cheque he ever filled out.

March 30, 2009--NOA1

August 12, 2009--Touched

September 1, 2009, received Package 1 from Montreal--but where is our NOA2???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey.. remember that thread from a while back.. things to do before leaving canada or something? Wouldn't that be helpful here? I can't search on VJ to save my life :(

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
I'm not removing the U no matter WHAT anyone says. It belongs there!

Damn right! And CHEQUE not CHECK

Hey.. remember that thread from a while back.. things to do before leaving canada or something? Wouldn't that be helpful here? I can't search on VJ to save my life :(

We need Tmix for that!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Apply for your SSN as soon as possible.... And apply for EI like the DAY you arrive!! The 90 day countdown is on the day you cross. If you're eligible, of course. Don't forget getting US car insurance and notifying your Canadian company of the move, as if you don't and something happens here you may not be covered if you didn't advise them.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Other than trying to teach yourself to remove the old English u from certain words I think you've got a good list there :) Good luck!

Yes by removing useless vowels like u from words, spelling Check rather then "che qu eee" and always remember to put the er back in the proper place at the ends of words like center and enter etc.

Ha ha.

Seriously though, does credit in Canada help you in the US at all? I know there's been several people recently talking about this and how they're coping trying to get a credit rating. I didn't think Canadian credit would count towards any credit history in the US, even if you are using something well known like Visa or Master Card etc?

Think some others that have been through this could clarify on if that would help or not...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Yes by removing useless vowels like u from words, spelling Check rather then "che qu eee" and always remember to put the er back in the proper place at the ends of words like center and enter etc.

Ha ha.

Seriously though, does credit in Canada help you in the US at all? I know there's been several people recently talking about this and how they're coping trying to get a credit rating. I didn't think Canadian credit would count towards any credit history in the US, even if you are using something well known like Visa or Master Card etc?

Think some others that have been through this could clarify on if that would help or not...

I actually work for a bank and while we do look at international credit reports, it's usually just to see late payments or defaults. We don't actually review the credit scores unless it's an American credit report.

When my wife was in Canada I did get a Best Buy card, bought a tv, and then added her to the account. While I was paying on the tv she was actually building credit and two weeks after she got here (about 6 or 7 months later) she actually had a score in the high 600s and she was able to lease a car in her name only.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline

I found it useful to make up a 'form letter' that contained my old address, my new address, information about the effective date of leaving, effective date of cancelling accounts (utilities, insurance, phone, etc.), then leaving a space where I would write in the account number and the name of the recipient (hydro company, ISP provider, etc.). I made photocopies of each completed form, then sent them either enclosed with the bill or to a separate address if the bill said 'do not send mail'. It made it much easier to notify everyone and proved useful when the cable company insisted I didn't notify them and wanted to charge me an extra 3 months worth of bills. I sent them the photocopy of the notice that was sent with the cheque and the bank statement showing the date the cheque was cashed. They backed down. I also got refunds on my last telephone bill and my different insurances so that was nice.

Get copies of your medical records from your doctor and a letter from your employer's health coverage verifying that you are insured so you can provide it if requested by your new medical insurer. If you have any prescriptions see if you can get several months worth filled before you move as it may take some time to get into see a US doctor to get a US prescription (Yes, there are long wait times in the US too!).

Have a neighbour still check your mailbox of your old apartment or house even though you send a change of address notification to Canada Post. They 'missed' re-directing a months worth of my mail and my neighbour collected it for me and sent it to me. I did get a refund from Canada Post for the non-redirected mail but it was a nuisance. Having someone check as a precaution is a good idea.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

That list was really good. I made my own list from it, but I'm not sure where it is right now. Here are some other things I've thought of, in completely random order:

Before you Leave:

- get a copy of your medical file from your doctor

- make sure any pets are vaccinated

- cancel OHIP and any Canadian health insurance

- bring your visa! and the envelope from your K1 interview. Keep important papers separate so you can find them when/after you move.

- make a list of things you are bringing over the border (it doesn't seem like anyone really gets asked that). If you're using movers, make sure you go over the border first and fax back your I-94.

- make sure you understand car licensing and driver's licensing in your state. In NJ you need a green card before you can get a driver's licence. If I'd known that I would have managed some things differently. Even though it says on the web site that you just need your passport and the I-94 and a few other things, it's not true in NJ!

- set up an account with Custom House if you have $$$$ to transfer.

- leave your old bank account open for awhile and maybe give your bank card to someone locally so they can do any banking that you need.

- change of address to the post office (costs $200 to the U.S. Yikes.)

- until you get new credit in the U.S. leave a couple of your Canadian credit cards open rather than cancelling them. They might come in handy until you're up and running credit-wise in the U.S. You might need a Canadian address to send them to. I have mine sent to my sister.

- bring comfort food you may not be able to get it in the U.S.

After you get there:

- file for AOS as soon as you can after you enter. It took me 3 months to file, which meant I couldn't go back to Canada for 6 months. I was more homesick than I thought I'd be and it would have been nice to go home sooner. Expect that you'll be homesick and keep it in perspective.

- when you get married, ask in advance about how long it takes to get the marriage certificate and what the procedure is. I've heard some people waiting months to get their marriage certificate because someone was on vacation or something. Which delayed their AOS.

- get a GPS!

- get a new place together if possible, rather than moving into your spouse's place.

- remember that although it's exciting it's not without stress for both you and your partner. Give each other support and understanding.

- When you get there, find your peeps! Don't rely completely on your partner as it puts a lot of stress on them. Join a running group, do yoga, take classes, go to the library, etc. Meet people. Get a long distance plan.

- Make sure you start comingling finances so you have evidence when/if asked for evidence at AOS: get your name added to utility bills; after you get your SSN, get added to the bank account; get your name added to the home insurance; (at our AOS interview they asked only asked us for bank account info and insurance info); get a cell phone by being added to his account; get your name on the lease of your home; etc.

Whew! That's enough for now. I'm sure there are other things!

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Timeline

Wow I honestly never thought of any of this until just now. I was so caught up in getting everything done with the petition, the actual move hasn't really been in my mind. I guess i'm lucky though: i'm not bringing my car over (its a 1995, whats the point?), I live with mom and dad still so no getting out of rent contracts or canceling utility bills (anything I forget to change will be sent to them anyways), no pets, I don't have much stuff so I can just fit it all in my fiance's grand prix... But health insurance? I know my fiance has good coverage, but he probably can't add me until after the wedding can he? And a drivers license... I'm not so sure that's going to be easy for me either (I only have a G2, I'm going to have to take a test I bet...)

I guess all this time I was thinking that my stress is over once the k-1 petition is approved but... not so much!

Wow I honestly never thought of any of this until just now. I was so caught up in getting everything done with the petition, the actual move hasn't really been in my mind. I guess i'm lucky though: i'm not bringing my car over (its a 1995, whats the point?), I live with mom and dad still so no getting out of rent contracts or canceling utility bills (anything I forget to change will be sent to them anyways), no pets, I don't have much stuff so I can just fit it all in my fiance's grand prix... But health insurance? I know my fiance has good coverage, but he probably can't add me until after the wedding can he? And a drivers license... I'm not so sure that's going to be easy for me either (I only have a G2, I'm going to have to take a test I bet...)

I guess all this time I was thinking that my stress is over once the k-1 petition is approved but... not so much!

My wife was actually in much the same situation as you. We just loaded up my Commander and moved her over. I have Blue Cross insurance and I was able to get her added onto my insurance within a week of her coming back. We did do a CR-1 visa so not sure if that had anything to do with it but hopefully your husband's carrier can do the same, good luck!

Timeline
- make sure you understand car licensing and driver's licensing in your state. In NJ you need a green card before you can get a driver's licence. If I'd known that I would have managed some things differently. Even though it says on the web site that you just need your passport and the I-94 and a few other things, it's not true in NJ!

Excellent list!!

Regarding NJ driver's license: For the 6 Point ID verification did they not accept your passport with the visa stamp? Do they just require a written test? Any idea how long I could drive in NJ with my Ontario license before I would need to change it?

So many questions!!! :wacko::wacko:

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline
- bring comfort food you may not be able to get it in the U.S.

Coffee Crisp.

Stock up on Coffee Crisp.

And Kit Kat's.

They just don't taste the same south of the border.

M.

And ketchup and ketchup chips and kraft dinner :D Actually check out this:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pmZ...1CPIAopHsCBq5OA

Not sure who started that or if it gets updated?

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.