Udella&Wiz

Name change back in Canada

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This lovely topic has been addressed many times before.....I was thinking recently that it will be a pain to have 2 passports in different names once I become a citizen. Is there such a thing as a simple name change? I don't want to have to go through changing my birth certificates and every other Cdn document I have paid good money for. I just want to change my name due to marriage (maybe it's one and the same, I don't know)

This pertains only to my Cdn id...everything in the US has been applied for in my married name so I'm good to go here.

Could we pin this topic?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This shouldn't be all that difficult, actually. Service Canada and the CRA will only need a copy of your marriage certificate to change things over (I did this by fax), as would your provincial government (but I'm assuming you won't have to change things at the provincial level since a Canadian driver's license, medicare, etc. is kind of pointless after moving). Getting a new passport will require going through the whole process again with the only difference of adding a copy of your marriage certificate to the package along with your birth certificate. Aside from the typical passport fee, it shouldn't cost anything either. Hope I helped!

Timeline

This lovely topic has been addressed many times before.....I was thinking recently that it will be a pain to have 2 passports in different names once I become a citizen. Is there such a thing as a simple name change? I don't want to have to go through changing my birth certificates and every other Cdn document I have paid good money for. I just want to change my name due to marriage (maybe it's one and the same, I don't know)

This pertains only to my Cdn id...everything in the US has been applied for in my married name so I'm good to go here.

Could we pin this topic?

I changed to my married name prior to leaving Canada. This has no effect on your birth certificate unless you were planning on a legal name change.

I changed my SIN first, then my license and health card (which I suppose would not apply to you if you are no longer in Canada.) All that was required was my marriage certificate and there were no fees for any of this. To change my passport two pieces of ID in my married name were required. They did NOT want to see my marriage certificate. My passport was not due for renewal so I noted I was getting a new one due to a name change because of marriage. I had no problems at all.

I am not sure if applying from out of the country would be different.

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

So there is a difference between changing to your married name and a 'legal name change'? perhaps this is where I was hung up.

Oh bother - this means I cannot use the simplified form for the passport renewal, doesn't it? poop

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, there is a difference from legally changing your name. This way is much easier and you get to keep your birth certificate in your old name. It's usually called assuming a new name or changing your name under the Common Law. Yes, it will mean that you can't do the simplified renewal though :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, it's not that hard...if you assume a new name through marriage your birth certificate stays the same. Although I'm wondering if I would need to do the SIN and HC in person? I have the old red and white healthcard so I think I'm just going to keep it in my maiden name until I move back (if I ever do). I'll just leave my SIN too until I ever move back... I don't anticipate needing it again for a long long time.

I changed my Canadian bank account and that is it so far. I had to do that in person. I would like to change my passport once I renew into my married name... I haven't looked at the forms in awhile... is the long form the same as the old form? If so that's not too bad. Still a bit more of a hassle, but not impossible.

Is is weird that I kind of want to leave everything in Canada in my maiden name for sentimental reasons. I mean it's almost like I have 2 lives... moved here and changed my name, started a new life etc. My old life in Canada feels like a different part of me and I just don't want to let it go yet... Or maybe I just haven't full adjusted to my new name?? I miss my old name sometimes and feel good knowing that in Canada I'm still known by that old name.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Yeah, it's not that hard...if you assume a new name through marriage your birth certificate stays the same. Although I'm wondering if I would need to do the SIN and HC in person? I have the old red and white healthcard so I think I'm just going to keep it in my maiden name until I move back (if I ever do). I'll just leave my SIN too until I ever move back... I don't anticipate needing it again for a long long time.

I changed my Canadian bank account and that is it so far. I had to do that in person. I would like to change my passport once I renew into my married name... I haven't looked at the forms in awhile... is the long form the same as the old form? If so that's not too bad. Still a bit more of a hassle, but not impossible.

Is is weird that I kind of want to leave everything in Canada in my maiden name for sentimental reasons. I mean it's almost like I have 2 lives... moved here and changed my name, started a new life etc. My old life in Canada feels like a different part of me and I just don't want to let it go yet... Or maybe I just haven't full adjusted to my new name?? I miss my old name sometimes and feel good knowing that in Canada I'm still known by that old name.

I miss my maiden name too - it was unique, my new name is as regular as smith...I'm considering hyphenating now because I'd like to keep it.

You'd think after 2 years I'd be used to the new name, but just the other day I went to sign something and out popped my maiden name...no clue why, just came naturally

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

I miss my maiden name too - it was unique, my new name is as regular as smith...I'm considering hyphenating now because I'd like to keep it.

You'd think after 2 years I'd be used to the new name, but just the other day I went to sign something and out popped my maiden name...no clue why, just came naturally

:lol:

Some days I don't know what my name is! :wacko:

I changed to my husband's name wen I was first married and then kept it once we divorced because of the kids. My ex was fine with it and because we still got along so well, whenever we would be out at events with the boys I would still be referred to as "Mrs...." Then when I married my current husband he thought I should keep the ex's surname, again for the kids, who by this time were older. He didn't quite get that being married to him but keeping my ex husband's name would be weird...duh...

I am just now getting used to my new "third" name but I answer to anything. :rofl:

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/13/09 SSN received

Removal of Conditions

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

Naturalization

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

I hyphenated my name..so I get to still keep my old Canadian name, still share a name with my daughter(who's almost 18 and doesn't seem to give a poop.. :wacko: ) and I get my new name..but I agree 1/2 the time I don't know what name I'm using or should be signing..haha

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Timeline

The only Canadian document I want to bother changing is my passport, mostly for convenience, but not until it expires in like 2014. Do you need to change your name on your SIN before they'll let you change the name on your passport? I don't think I ever needed my SIN card when I applied for a passport in the past, but with all these document changes and new ID I don't know what is what anymore... :lol:

Filed: Timeline

Could we pin this topic?

I'll add a link to the Canada Immigration Guide in the pinned topic section. :)

Oh bother - this means I cannot use the simplified form for the passport renewal, doesn't it? poop

That's exactly why I renewed my passport in my former name. lol

Haha. I'm the same. I didn't change my name at my bank but I did add my married name to the account (and they took a copy of the marriage certificate) so that I can cash cheques in my married name without jumping through hoops. They still send out all correspondence in my former name.

The only Canadian document I want to bother changing is my passport, mostly for convenience, but not until it expires in like 2014. Do you need to change your name on your SIN before they'll let you change the name on your passport? I don't think I ever needed my SIN card when I applied for a passport in the past, but with all these document changes and new ID I don't know what is what anymore... laughing.gif

No, you don't need to change the name on your SIN to change the name on your passport.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Udella&Wiz,

Lol....Unforutnately, for a Canadian passport, there is no such thing as a simple name change....

Therefore, if one needs to travel internationally with their married last name, they would have to re-apply all over again for a new Canadian passport...(using the 'difficult' general application process forms, as the simplified application process forms cannot be used for married name changes)...grrr....

Yes, you can legally use both your maiden names and married names at the same time (though why one would do such, is somewhat beyond my comprehension...lol...for professional reasons, perhaps?). After all, both names are yours.....

Neither country cares which name you use. As long as it is legal, and supported by legal documents (such as a marriage certificate, then so be it)....

Lol...Actually, the funniest thing, is that I wanted to change everything to my married name, and managed to successfully do such in the USA. However, I ran into some problems with the Canadian side, in changing things to my married name, as I didn't bother with all of the updates, since I don't live there anymore anyways. So half of my Canadian documents were/are still in my maiden name (valid SIN card, expired health card, Canadian jury duty notice, elections Canada notice, Canadian driver's license before exchanged it, Canadian banking/financial information, expired Canadian passport) there, and the other half are in my married name (current Canadian passport, Revenue Canada/tax information, etc.). Oh well...Hopefully they know it is the same person.......

If you are going to do/not do name changes, here is what I suggest, for your situation.....

For Canada....

Keep your SIN in your maiden name (needed for finances, banks, jobs, etc.)

Keep your Canadian passport in you maiden name (for travel...but you must be careful with this one..and make sure you book tickets in this name too)

Keep your other Canadian identification documents (driver's license, health card, etc.) in your maiden name

Keep your tax information/Revenue Canada information in your maiden name

For the USA...

Put all immigration applications forms and documents in your married name (green card, ead, advance parole, citizenship certificate, etc.)

Put your SSN in your married name (needed for finances, banks, jobs, etc.)

Put other US identification documents (driver's license, health card, etc.) in your married name

Put your tax information/IRS information in your married name.

***And most important of all: Always have a copy of your marriage certificate, in case you run into any problems with your maiden/married names!***

However, in my situation, this is what I did....

I notified about my married name:

-Revenue Canada and Elections Canada (with the "final tax return" in 2007, to prevent tax fraud and to officially notify the Canadian government that I'm not living in Canada anymore, and had to cancel and return those GST cheques I'm not entitled to and would be in trouble for keeping such)

-Passport Canada (when they added my married name to my maiden name passport in 2007)

-Passport Canada again (when I applied for a new passport recently in my married name in 2009)

-I closed my Canadian bank account in Canada (2007)

-I let someone in Canada collect my personal mail for me, and then notified those people by mail that I moved (2006-Present)

-Family, friends, and other acquaintances that I keep in contact with (2006-Present)

-The Office of the Attorney General (optional...but this was after I received the forwarded jury duty notice in 2009....I had no choice there but to tell them that I moved and that I couldn't serve on a Canadian jury)

I didn't notify about my married name:

-Social Insurance (Human Resources Canada, I think) as I wouldn't be working in Canada anymore and wouldn't need a new card.

-OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance) as my card already expired and I can't use it here, so I never renewed it.

-MTO (Ministry of Transportation Ontario) as my license was automatically transfered, surrendered, and destroyed here by the DMV in NYS. Note: You cannot have 2 driver's licenses at the same time (at least that's the way it is here in NYS), so you would either have to pick between the American one or the Canadian one to keep.

Anyone else I need to notify, I can't think of, and haven't done such.

Lol..Sigh...The things we women have to do when we get married and change our last names.....

Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey and name changes/updates too.

Ant

Could we pin this topic?

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

The only Canadian document I want to bother changing is my passport, mostly for convenience, but not until it expires in like 2014. Do you need to change your name on your SIN before they'll let you change the name on your passport? I don't think I ever needed my SIN card when I applied for a passport in the past, but with all these document changes and new ID I don't know what is what anymore... :lol:

No. I just needed two pieces of ID in my new name. I changed my driver's licence and health card first then applied for the new passport.

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/13/09 SSN received

Removal of Conditions

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

Naturalization

Timeline

No. I just needed two pieces of ID in my new name. I changed my driver's licence and health card first then applied for the new passport.

So which 2 pieces of Cdn id would I have in my married name anyway? Hmmm...no health card because I'm not eligible and don't live there....I do see that they'll take my US Permanent resident card as proof of name...that will work....I only saw the need for 1 piece of id besides the marriage cert in the instructions. This is just irritating.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

So which 2 pieces of Cdn id would I have in my married name anyway? Hmmm...no health card because I'm not eligible and don't live there....I do see that they'll take my US Permanent resident card as proof of name...that will work....I only saw the need for 1 piece of id besides the marriage cert in the instructions. This is just irritating.

I'm assuming that they would allow you to use your US ID, otherwise that's pretty unreasonable. I have no Canadian picture ID anymore either, except the health card which brings up the same issue (and It's going to expire in a few months anyways) So maybe like, your PR card, and your state DL? or a state ID card? something like that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.