Robert&Karen

Stereotypes in America, true or not

120 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I didn't rip anything apart. I also conceded Australia is overweight. I wasn't offended by the notion Australia was fat, I know it is. You're projecting feelings that weren't there.

"OnMyWayID" made up information both about the obesity statistics and even misstated where the OP was from, both of which are easy to check. I was correcting that information.

Uh.. Google "Australia passes usa as fattest country" then google "fattest countries" then google "trends in obesity by country"

How many of those thousands of links did I make up?

Oh.. and love the logic that you see more fat people because there are more people.. Guess I could use the same logic that I see more skinny people because there are more people..

Hit us with more of your logic Sherlock :)

Face it.. Your like the kid at fat camp that went to another fat camp and says "wow, lots of fat people" .. yeah, just like the place you left.. The 200 pound kid making fun of the 205 pound kid to make himself feel better. Have some more pie and tell me all about it.

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Timeline

Have to say, I'm not a big fan of flouncy over reactions like the one above.

This is a light hearted thread - with posts from people who are possibly a little homesick, venting about things that annoy them. You can try as hard as you can to assimilate, but sometimes you just need to let off steam.

You also need to remember that there are significant cultural differences at play here - what you may see as wonderful patriotism (flying the flag) doesn't always translate to people who have grown up in environments where national flags are used as hate symbols to terrify and attack minority groups. Eventually such people will get used to the fact that America isn't like that - but in the mean time, try not to criticise their struggles to adjust.

And frankly - If banter about how fat Americans are, is really such a terrible attack on the U.S., this nation is buggered.

I really don't invest a lot of emotion in what people say about this country... people will always downplay or try to negatively spin the good things and over emphasize the negatives.

.. but I don't think I would go to say... a forum site for people getting visas to Canada and start denigrating Canada. Seems in bad taste.

This isn't a thread to whine about how fat Americans are, it's to post the stereotypes, right or wrong, that you thought about America before you got here. Yes it is light-heart and meant to be fun.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Uh.. Google "Australia passes usa as fattest country" then google "fattest countries" then google "trends in obesity by country"

How many of those thousands of links did I make up?

Again they are OLD links. I agree that Australia was in 2008, but if you care to look at the dates on the articles it isn't any more. I provided you with a link to the latest (2011) figures, I'm sorry you take offence, I am simply correcting your incorrect assertion.

I also agree with Kathryn, this isn't about America being fat, it's just one of the stereotypes, it's seriously not personal.

I'm sure people in other states are lovely. I've heard wonderful things about New England and Vermont from this forum and there are lovely people in my state as well. These are not personal attacks. I don't know you from Adam so I didn't think I needed to say "present company excepted" before posting.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
there are more fat people here
I dated all of them (the distaff half), sigh man. Then, I gave up and went hunt-wifing internationally. There were a lot more height/weight-proportionate women overseas, si man.

As for stereotype, I had a Magnavox turntable attached to an RCA component. What was your type of stereo, huh man?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

You also need to remember that there are significant cultural differences at play here - what you may see as wonderful patriotism (flying the flag) doesn't always translate to people who have grown up in environments where national flags are used as hate symbols to terrify and attack minority groups.

What a ridiculous statement! I pass American flags every day and I don't quake in fear! I even see flags of other nations flying. Even English. It's allowed. It's a democracy!

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Please remember this thread was started to examine stereotypes, not to demonstrate them. Please do not take these comments personally - they reflect the observations individuals coming from other countries have about Americans and the US. There are differences between countries; there are differences between states, there are differences between cultures, there are differences between people.. This thread isn't meant to be 'competition' for who is the best or 'most right'. The thing about stereotypes is that stereotypes are labels that while often have a basis of truth, are not indicative of the whole country. It is good to look at why labels do or don't fit but please don't attack others because their experiences are different than yours. Don't turn this thread into a confrontation or a competition about who is 'most right'. That's not what this is about. It isn't necessary and it detracts from the discussion at hand. If you find an individual's comment offensive or out of line, then report it to the Moderation team and we will review the comments. Don't enter into a 'battle' with them.

This thread has deteriorated into America bashing which coming from people who have already or intend to immigrate does not make sense. I do not think that was what the OP intended but it is certainly what has happened. why don't we(American's) have a right to defend ourselves from these baseless attacks?

This isn't a thread to whine about how fat Americans are, it's to post the stereotypes, right or wrong, that you thought about America before you got here. Yes it is light-heart and meant to be fun.

I know that was how you meant it. :yes:

I really don't invest a lot of emotion in what people say about this country... people will always downplay or try to negatively spin the good things and over emphasize the negatives.

.. but I don't think I would go to say... a forum site for people getting visas to Canada and start denigrating Canada. Seems in bad taste.

I could not agree more.

my husband found that the idea that Americans are not genuinely friendly but condescending to be a myth. Granted, I'm in Florida where Southern Hospitality is rampant. He can't get over the fact that people wave at me and I have no idea who they are...It took me the longest time to explain to him that's "just the way it is"...it's the sweet thing to do, the polite thing to do. It's kinda rude here if you pass someone on the street and don't at least acknowledge them with a smile and/or nod. SOMETHING.

At the same time...I think that depends on which state / part of the state you are in...We're an awfully big #### country with all kindsa folks all mixed up. It's going to be different depending on where you are, isn't it!? ;)

It is so different in Florida than here in MA. My daughter lives in Orlando. People are friendly and so polite! Everyone says hello and call you Maam or sir and people actually hold the door for you to pass through rather than allowing it to slam in your face. It is hard to believe we are in the same country. Yeah, regions in the US can be as different as countries are in the rest of the world. Sometimes the customs and even the foods are very different. It is a good thing we don't live in the south because the food is too good.

my husband found that the idea that Americans are not genuinely friendly but condescending to be a myth. Granted, I'm in Florida where Southern Hospitality is rampant. He can't get over the fact that people wave at me and I have no idea who they are...It took me the longest time to explain to him that's "just the way it is"...it's the sweet thing to do, the polite thing to do. It's kinda rude here if you pass someone on the street and don't at least acknowledge them with a smile and/or nod. SOMETHING.

At the same time...I think that depends on which state / part of the state you are in...We're an awfully big #### country with all kindsa folks all mixed up. It's going to be different depending on where you are, isn't it!? ;)

It is so different in Florida than here in MA. My daughter lives in Orlando. People are friendly and so polite! Everyone says hello and call you Maam or sir and people actually hold the door for you to pass through rather than allowing it to slam in your face. It is hard to believe we are in the same country. Yeah, regions in the US can be as different as countries are in the rest of the world. Sometimes the customs and even the foods are very different. It is a good thing we don't live in the south because the food is too good.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'll say regional stereotypes can be very true. I remember reading "You know you're from Buffalo if..." and being slightly embarrassed because about 90% of it was true of me. The truth hurts :( hahah

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I'll say regional stereotypes can be very true. I remember reading "You know you're from Buffalo if..." and being slightly embarrassed because about 90% of it was true of me. The truth hurts :( hahah

My husband found the NY stereotypes to be false. It helps that I explained to him that most people find New Yorkers rude, but those people are usually visiting Manhattan and stopping random strangers on the street for directions. :lol: These strangers are usually on their way to or from work, when I worked in lower Manhattan, some mornings I'd get stopped 2 or 3x on my way to work and get asked "Can you tell me how to get to blah, blah, blah place?" It gets old! And your boss usually isn't very understanding about you being late because you gave out directions all morning.

Other than that, we have a quickness to us that comes off as rude to people that aren't from here, and misunderstand us. It's fast paced here.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Timeline

Again they are OLD links. I agree that Australia was in 2008, but if you care to look at the dates on the articles it isn't any more. I provided you with a link to the latest (2011) figures, I'm sorry you take offence, I am simply correcting your incorrect assertion.

I also agree with Kathryn, this isn't about America being fat, it's just one of the stereotypes, it's seriously not personal.

I'm sure people in other states are lovely. I've heard wonderful things about New England and Vermont from this forum and there are lovely people in my state as well. These are not personal attacks. I don't know you from Adam so I didn't think I needed to say "present company excepted" before posting.

I took no offense.. My original post wast pointing out that that particular observation is not correct. If a person from Japan had said it then they would be correct but coming from someone in your country it is a conformational bias: You had that prejudice coming in and saw what you wanted to see when really it is no different than the place you left in that respect.. I saw that in several of the comments on other items not just yours.. I would say the same thing if someone from Colombia had mentioned all the flags - They have flags everywhere.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.