Sayha or bust.

Odd things your spouse does.

389 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This is sorta off topic, but I have a friend who's brother always leaves a little bit of each food on his plate. When I asked her why he does this, she said that HE says its "for the fairies." haha! He is a grown man, but still does this. I found it adorable. Her family it english so I'd be curious to see if anyone else from England has ever heard of this or if its unique to him?

Other than paranoid OCD things, I can't think of anything I do as a Canadian....

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-08

Packet 3 Received : 2011-07-02

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-07-03

Packet 4 Received : 2011-07-21

Interview Date : 2011-08-24

Interview Result :Approved!

POE: 2011-09-12

Married: 2011-09-30

AOS filed: 2011-10-17

NOA1: 2011-10-25

Biometrics Appt: 2011-11-09

Case transferred to CSC: 2011-12-23

EAD approval: 2011-12-28

Husband secretly pulled I-864 thus cancelling I-485 application 2012-05-10

F22zm4.png[/center]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wanted to share some of the odd things my wife does. Share some of your stories.

8. Rarely likes to put food in the icebox after she cooks.

Most of the time the left overs are left in the pan and covered. Only after cooling for hours does she consider putting them in the refrigerator for over night.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

My hubs doesn't do a whole lot of cleaning, but he also used to sweep the carpet :blink: We have this really awesome mop I bought, but he insisted on mopping the floor with a stick and a rag. He also wouldn't flush toilet paper down the toilet for a while. In Peru no one flushes toilet paper. :huh:

He wouldn't drink cold drinks with a meal. Iced coffee and iced tea were a total no/no. We had to have rice with everything, even BBQ, hamburgers and hot dogs. :wacko: A sandwich "wasn't a meal." Oh reeeally???

Things have changed. I've Americanized him. :P He has embraced modern technology and eats a meatball hero and a cold soda like it's nobody's business. And who's the first one to stop at Dunkin' Donuts and pick us up some iced coffee? Yep, this guy.

... but you can't change everybody. Rice is still a big thing in this house. It's a good thing I can cook Peruvian food!

Edited by Susita
205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Most of the time the left overs are left in the pan and covered. Only after cooling for hours does she consider putting them in the refrigerator for over night.

Iv"e found food in the cupboards where we keep our glasses or I find it sitting in a bowl in the microwave. I'm trying to break her of that habit. In her kitchen back home they had a small hutch where I'd see most of the food was kept out of reach of the bugs or rats. Sometimes dried fish and shrimp would hang from the rafters in the kitchen.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Yes that's normal. You're not supposed to put hot food in the fridge for some reason.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My hubs doesn't do a whole lot of cleaning, but he also used to sweep the carpet :blink: We have this really awesome mop I bought, but he insisted on mopping the floor with a stick and a rag. He also wouldn't flush toilet paper down the toilet for a while. In Peru no one flushes toilet paper. :huh:

He wouldn't drink cold drinks with a meal. Iced coffee and iced tea were a total no/no. We had to have rice with everything, even BBQ, hamburgers and hot dogs. :wacko: A sandwich "wasn't a meal." Oh reeeally???

Things have changed. I've Americanized him. :P He has embraced modern technology and eats a meatball hero and a cold soda like it's nobody's business. And who's the first one to stop at Dunkin' Donuts and pick us up some iced coffee? Yep, this guy.

... but you can't change everybody. Rice is still a big thing in this house. It's a good thing I can cook Peruvian food!

Two things I really like: Papa Rellena and Chicha Morada :P

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Two things I really like: Papa Rellena and Chicha Morada :P

:thumbs: Yes, they're delicious!

Yes that's normal. You're not supposed to put hot food in the fridge for some reason.

Hubbs used to say that, then we saw an episode of Good Morning America and I proved to him that you should not let your food sit out due to bacteria growth. As long as he sees it on TV, he believes it (something else I find crazy, but whateva).

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

:thumbs: Yes, they're delicious!

Hubbs used to say that, then we saw an episode of Good Morning America and I proved to him that you should not let your food sit out due to bacteria growth. As long as he sees it on TV, he believes it (something else I find crazy, but whateva).

Oh darn. I didn't know that :blink: let me go put our dinner in the fridge right now then...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It's very common RUB (Russia/Ukraine/Belorussia) superstition from older times. :) If you're going back to house to grab something you forgot, you should look at yourself in the mirror, or something bad will happen today with you. So many people from RUB will do it. One more related superstition - if somebody at home and person from RUB coming back asking to give something - never give it if you both at the different sides of doorstep, you should be at the one side from door to take/give anything.

RUB people "germofobic" in eyes of a lot of US people. :) I also can't imagine myself walking from the hall to the living room or in the bedroom in the shoes I wore outside, because then I'll be worried that it's dirty around and I'll need to wash floors to feel myself ok. I also prefer to take off street clothes in the hall because of street dust. It's just RUB cultural thing, and for us very hard to understand point of view "I have immunity to take care about these germs" :blink: just because we all grew up listening from the first days - "clothes and shoes which you wore outside never should go beyond the hall, because it's unhygienic". I know in US it's different point of view on this problem though. :) But I personally, as most of RUB people, would be highly offended if somebody would walk to my living room or bedroom (where I'm walking in home shoes) in the street shoes.

I have no idea about other items. :)

Hi Baby! ^^ :luv: (It's now Amy writing). :) I actually quite like the practice of taking off shoes at the door and leaving them, not walking with dirty shoes all over the floor of your house, and I tend to change into pajamas anyway when I get home from work. :lol: These are habits from Victor's culture I really appreciate! Also, he washes his hands after we get home from being out, as well as changing from street clothes and taking off his shoes. :) I've also adopted this habit. :yes:

There are some food and drink consumption habits I have that Victor wonders about, like my ability to drink so much milk, and not only that, to drink milk within a short period of time of consuming fish or seafood and not have any stomach upset as a result. :P

Edited by Amy_and_Victor

Our timlines K1 visa - Citizenship (06.28.2011 - 08.01.2016)

K1 Visa Timeline (06.28.2011 - 04.07.2012)

• 06-28-2011: I-129F sent to Dallas
  • 07-05-2011: NOA1 (CSC)
  • 01-05-2012: NOA2 (184 days since NOA1)
  • 01-13-2012: NVC passed
  • 01-19-2012: Embassy received our case
  • 02-14-2012: Interview PASSED! :D K-1 Visa Approved! :D
  • 03-08-2012: POE
  • 04-07-2012: Wedding!

AOS/EAD Timeline (04.26.2012 - 12.13.2012)

• 04-26-2012: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox
  • 05-02-2012: NOA1 (both I-485 and I-765)
  • 05-23-2012: Biometrics taken
  • 07-02-2012: Employment Authorization Issued (07-09-2012 - received in the mail)
  • 12-03-2012: Made Service Request for I-485, because case is beyond processing time
  • 12-07-2012: I-485 APPROVED! 219 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 12-13-2012: GreenCard in the mailbox, done with AOS!

Lifting of conditions Timeline (09.04.2014 - 01.14.2015)

• 09-04-2014: I-751 sent to CSC
  • 09-08-2014: NOA1
  • 11-10-2014: Biometrics taken
  • 01-07-2015: Approved! Only 122 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 01-14-2015: GreenCard in the mailbox

Citizenship Timeline (09.03.2015 - 01.08.2016)

- 09-03-2015: N-400 sent to Phoenix

- 09-10-2015: NOA1

- 10-08-2015: Biometrics taken

- 10-28-2015: Case is in line for an interview

- 11-02-2015: Letter with Naturalization Interview Appointment

- 12-07-2015: Interview passed

- 01-08-2016: Naturalization Oath Ceremony, I'm a US citizen now!

tTM3p3.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

The squatting thing would freak me out. Middle Eastern men have their own special "quirks". First of all, my husband will be late for his own funeral if I'm not there to hurry it along. He is ALWAYS running late which drives a type "A" like me insane. He whispers prayers under his breath before entering the bathroom as he believes the bathroom is the devil's home. For someone who thinks the devil lives in the bathroom, he sure spends lots of time in there! He thinks you shouldn't drink or eat cold things if you are sick. He thinks ceiling fans make you ill. There are too many to mention!

Being a USC (born and bred) but also being of Egyptian background, I find this hilarious!!! And so true!!! In Egypt, there's no such thing as being on time... LOL.. Not drinking very cold drinks is so typical of an Egyptian... its funny cuz I can only drink an ice-cold drink if its not coffee or tea...

Ha Betsy! So true about the bathroom! We even have prayers taped to the mirror in the master bathroom!

Also, wears his shiff shiffs (flip flops) into the shower, even though it's probably the cleanest floor in the whole house!

Always spits into the trash can. (ewww!!!!)

Refuses to go barefoot anywhere. Even on the carpet.

Always wear his clothes more than once before it goes into the laundry basket BUT will not wear the same thing 2 days in a row.

I can always tell when he is talking to another Egyptian because he yells when he is on the phone to them, whether it's in english or Arabic.

Has more hair products and "good" smelling lotions/colognes/body sprays than a woman :innocent:

So funny here as well... Not shiff shiffs, they're shib shibs...LOL... I find Egyptians to yell while on the phone too... is the shower slippery? that's a new one I've never heard of... This whole thread was so entertaining... I was literally laughing out loud :)

USCIS

Sept. 22, 2011 - NOA1

March 13, 2012 - NOA2 (via text/email)

NVC

March 19, 2012 - Case received at NVC (in building)

April 02, 2012 - Received case #, IIN, submitted email addresses

April 03, 2012 - AOS bill invoiced & paid; 'IN PROCESS'

April 03, 2012 - emailed DS-3032

April 04, 2012 - AOS fee cleared from bank account

April 06, 2012 - DS-3032 acceptance email received

April 10, 2012 - AOS payment 'PAID'; AOS package sent

April 16, 2012 - AOS accepted/completed

April 25, 2012 - IV bill invoiced & paid; 'IN PROCESS'

April 27, 2012 - IV payment 'PAID'; IV package sent

May 01, 2012 - NVC case complete!!!

May 09, 2012 - Received interview notification email

May 10, 2012 - Case was sent to embassy

May 16, 2012 - Medical Appointment

June 04, 2012 - Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

I measure pants by neck because your neck width around is the SAME as your HIPS! IF you do not want to try on the pants wrap the waist around your neck and it will fit you. It ALWAYS works. I have never had a pair of pants that do not fit me when measuring them this way.

I'm from Canada too not a far off country or anything.

I have a pair of pants that fitted me perfectly a couple years ago before I gained some weight and they still fit perfectly around my neck but not my waist and hips anymore lol. I guess all the weight I gained went to my hips. :lol: So this method doesn't work for me and I have to try on every pair of pants before I buy them.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The squatting thing would freak me out. Middle Eastern men have their own special "quirks". First of all, my husband will be late for his own funeral if I'm not there to hurry it along. He is ALWAYS running late which drives a type "A" like me insane. He whispers prayers under his breath before entering the bathroom as he believes the bathroom is the devil's home. For someone who thinks the devil lives in the bathroom, he sure spends lots of time in there! He thinks you shouldn't drink or eat cold things if you are sick. He thinks ceiling fans make you ill. There are too many to mention!

I've often said that if every timepiece on the entire continent of Africa stopped working, no one would know the difference. When hubby first got here, the concept of "being on time" was totally lost on him. Still to this day, if I call him and tell him to be ready to leave when I get home from work, I know I'm going to wait a good 30 minutes AFTER I pull up for him to come out to the car.

The whole bathroom thing is why he won't shower after dark. He says that jinn sleep in the drains at night after haunting the world by day, and running water over them after evening prayer will cause you to be cursed. When I lived in Morocco and would shower after dark, his family would meet me on the stairs and pray over me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

This is sorta off topic, but I have a friend who's brother always leaves a little bit of each food on his plate. When I asked her why he does this, she said that HE says its "for the fairies." haha! He is a grown man, but still does this. I found it adorable. Her family it english so I'd be curious to see if anyone else from England has ever heard of this or if its unique to him?

Other than paranoid OCD things, I can't think of anything I do as a Canadian....

I never heard of "for the fairies" but my husband, an Englishman, always leaves at least 1 baked bean or pea behind on his plate or on the table. He also likes to have baked beans with every meal, none of these 'American' Baked beans with brown sugar, just baked beans in tomato sauce. He's a vegetarian but doesn't like very many veggies. He uses a fork and knife to eat every meal. Also won't use the dish washer and would prefer not to use the clothes dryer as well. He reuses towels after his showers, and wears his cloths more than once before washing them.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I've often said that if every timepiece on the entire continent of Africa stopped working, no one would know the difference. When hubby first got here, the concept of "being on time" was totally lost on him. Still to this day, if I call him and tell him to be ready to leave when I get home from work, I know I'm going to wait a good 30 minutes AFTER I pull up for him to come out to the car.

The whole bathroom thing is why he won't shower after dark. He says that jinn sleep in the drains at night after haunting the world by day, and running water over them after evening prayer will cause you to be cursed. When I lived in Morocco and would shower after dark, his family would meet me on the stairs and pray over me.

Yes we Believe in that...I got my visa but I didnt travel yet...When I told my husband that once I get there, I should pour milk in the drains so to make peace with the Jinns..and Cant shower at night ( Its culture thing) He made fun of me and he said NOWAY !!! But Im still doing it anyway !!

Brushing teeth before eating is a habit for us too, Not before every meal but only before breakfast Because I just think its nasty and gross...(My husband already adopted that...Now before he eats anything in the morning, I give him the stinky eye and He knows why Im starying at him, so He goes brush his teeth immediatly..)

Also changing our Clothes once we get Home to pijamas,He used to wake up and wear his outside clothes and his running shoes and sit..I was like what the hell?? Your gonna mess your outside clothes..So he adopted the new habit too( Changing his clothes once his home)

I enjoy reading those differences as I know my husband will be writting in this forum few months from now to make fun of me as well..Wether to tell you that I adopted his habits or He did !!! LOL

Edited by Mayarz

USCIS Petition(s) Filed

Date I-130 Sent : 2011-05-06

Date I-130 NOA2 (Approved) : 2011-08

National Visa Center Processing

Date Package Received By NVC : 2011-09

Case Completed at NVC :2011-10

Consulate Processing

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa):2011-12

Interview Result:APROVED !!! Hamdulilah

POE:Boston, 2012-02

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You should let the food cool and then put it in the fridge. The reason is the heat from the food heats up the inside of your fridge. It's not a drastic enough but it makes your fridge work harder but worst is if it gets too warm in there you are negating the purpose of refrigeration. You should also ALWAYS put a cover on food (but again wait till the food is cooled before putting in the fridge.. sometimes the condensation is so high on the lid the top of your food has a little pond which is gross). Meat should always go on the bottom (so it doesn't drip on other food). Here's a little thing on safe food handling: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/fact_sheets/safe_food_handling_fact_sheets/ More available online obviously :P

I never heard of "for the fairies" but my husband, an Englishman, always leaves at least 1 baked bean or pea behind on his plate or on the table. He also likes to have baked beans with every meal, none of these 'American' Baked beans with brown sugar, just baked beans in tomato sauce. He's a vegetarian but doesn't like very many veggies. He uses a fork and knife to eat every meal. Also won't use the dish washer and would prefer not to use the clothes dryer as well. He reuses towels after his showers, and wears his cloths more than once before washing them.

I miss regular baked beans from Australia. Bakes beans in tomato sauce. They don't taste the same here. I missed tinned spaghetti too. It's not bad here but I still prefer Aussie (of course :P)

Yes HOT food shouldn't be put in the fridge but once it's cooled it should be.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.