Sayha or bust.

Does your wife ever get used to the cold?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm the USC and I've been living in south Florida for about 25 years, so for me anything below about 72 degrees is too cold. I've gotten up some mornings and thought I needed to turn the heat on, but looked at the thermostat and noticed it was 70 in the house. On those rare days when it gets below about 60 I've got the long underwear on. The wife does insist that we must sleep naked, so I invested in a mattress pad heater with dual controls. FANTASTIC. Now we are both happy.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I am always cold. I have found that wearing good clothes and having a well insulated house make all the difference.

My husband is from Fairbanks, Alaska so to him, everywhere in the contiguous US is warm! :)

I trade the damp cold of Scotland for the many hours of winter daylight here in the lower 48! I can't believe how great is it that the sun rises before 8 am every day here in Vermont, even if it's much colder than Scotland!

I think adjusting to hot temperatures is more of a challenge.

:)

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My wife's family has a long history of weather forecasting in China and she laughs at the local weather guessers here. "why do they try to be so detailed?", "who could take this pig-face guy seriously?"

I guess because the weather is so similar here she really had no problem adjusting. She does not like the idea of central heat and air "too wasteful and not green" but does not complain when its on.:yes:

Just out of curiosity and to hear some funny stories , "How long did it take for your wife to adjust to the cold."

My wife's been here since last February and still likes to sleep in her jacket and pants. One thing that makes me laugh is it will be 35 degrees and she will be bundled up to the max and will have open toe sandals or flip flops. lol. Share your stories if you have some.

Coming from Warsaw to Houston is not precisely hardship! She is in awe that there is "no" winter here. It can get to 30 (Farenheit) here, but even now we are in the low 60s in a 'cold' day.

On the other side, I keep saying that her opinion of Houston might change after her first Summer next year, when we get to 110 and 100% humidity.

To put things in perspective, her favorite joke (that I'm going to butcher probably): Jan calls to check on Piotr in his cabin during a particular cold day, and asks "Piotr, is it cold in there?", and Piotr replies, "No, cold outside, here -40 (Celsius)"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am always cold. I have found that wearing good clothes and having a well insulated house make all the difference.

My husband is from Fairbanks, Alaska so to him, everywhere in the contiguous US is warm! :)

I trade the damp cold of Scotland for the many hours of winter daylight here in the lower 48! I can't believe how great is it that the sun rises before 8 am every day here in Vermont, even if it's much colder than Scotland!

I think adjusting to hot temperatures is more of a challenge.

:)

Funny you should mention the daylight. My wife had the hardest time adjusting to the sun rising so late (a little after 7 AM here right now) and, during the summer, setting so late (almost 9 PM here). Now that it's winter, she misses the extra daylight in the evenings. I tried to explain to her that it was far more pronounced up North. Growing up so close to the equator, the length of the day and sunrise/sunset times (+/-15 min. over the course of the entire year) didn't change much for her in Colombia, so that really was her biggest adjustment.

Luckily for her, she arrived in Florida during the winter where the temps are close to what she was used to in Bogotá. She was able to get used to the Florida summer little by little as the temps crept higher and higher. After 6 months of the 90s, she now tells me it's cold when it's 75 degrees outside. That's when I remind her that it's still warmer than Bogotá's usual 60-70 degrees.:)

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Timeline

for us, it's the other way around. i am from Magadan, Russia, which is one of the coldest regions in the world and it snows 8 months out of the year and the temperatures drop way way waaaaaay below 0 degrees Celsius. But i've been living here in SE Kentucky for over 6 years and winters are very mild by russian standards, but out of all my american friends, i am the first one to put a thick coat and scarf and warm boots on. People, including my husband, would still be walking around in light clothes and here i am, looking like Ralphie's brother from Christmas story haha.

People always ask me if i should be used to cold weather, but around here, they don't know what cold weather is ahah, so i'm always prepared!

Edited by MariyaB

event.png

I am from Canada, and spent nearly 20 years in NZ. I have lived in Scotland and Northern Canada as well.

No matter where I have lived, I am cold. I am a hot house flower I guess ;) I found the damp cold in NZ to be the absolute worst, it goes right into your bones. They don't have central heating there either, as a rule. I remember reading in bed at night, wearing my heavy bathrobe, a hat and gloves, and I could see my breath inside the house. Here at least I crank crank up the heat lol..

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline

I remember reading in bed at night, wearing my heavy bathrobe, a hat and gloves, and I could see my breath inside the house. Here at least I crank crank up the heat lol..

oh my goodness, i can't believe they live like that there lol. is it normal for them? I would die!! i'm so cold-blooded (in a different sense), there is no way i could stand that!

event.png

oh my goodness, i can't believe they live like that there lol. is it normal for them? I would die!! i'm so cold-blooded (in a different sense), there is no way i could stand that!

It is. Many older homes haven't got any insulation, and so no air con for the most part in private homes, and you don't see a lot of places with window screens either.

The houses I lived in all had open fireplaces in the lounge (living room). That is mostly how people heat. I had a small electric heater I used to turn on in the morning in the bedroom, while I got dressed. Nothing like getting up at 0500 for work when it's cold and raining out :) I had a mattress pad that was heated, and I hated to leave my nice warm bed.

Some of the newer houses are being built with under floor heating, and heat pumps, but the cost of electricity is so high there that the average person limits the use of plug in heaters. Running just a couple of small heaters for a month would see our power bill double, pretty close to $400.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Cut her some slack please, it's not just the cold, it's also how dark it gets so early ad how gloomy it gets, she's probably used to warm days with sunlight until 7 pm.

I moved to Chicago from FL 6 months ago and it's not even winter yet but it's hard to get used to, I hear from native mid-westerns how they've lived here all their lives and still not used to the winter here and every winter they complain about, so be understanding if she's out of her comfort zone. I experience some depressed feelings because of how cold and dark it is and a lot of people go through that (Seasonal affective disorder). I know a friend who moved from LA to Chicago and after 4 years reached her breaking point and moved back to LA.

Some people are just not cut out for the winter.

K1 Timeline
03/08/10 - I-129F packet sent to VSC
07/07/10 - Interview Date - APPROVED!
10/28/10 - POE @ Chicago
11/21/10 - Marriage

AOS, AP, EAD.
01/18/11 - AOS, AP, EAD packet sent
03/07/2011 - Biometrics appointment
03/29/2011 - AOS, AP and EAD approved (After 2.5 months)
04/04/2011 - Green card in hand[/size]

ROC
02/12/2013 - ROC packet sent
02/21/2013 - NOA1 Received
03/09/2013 - Biometrics appointment
06/19/2013 - ROC APPROVED!

N-400 Naturalization

06/20/2014 - N-400 Packet sent

07/15/2014 - Check Cashedarrow-10x10.png

08/04/2014 - Biometrics

02/19/2015 - Interview

03/26/2015 - Oath Ceremony
event.png

event.png

My wife has been here since the end of June and she got experience the cold and snow for a few weeks here and then had to return to Thailand for a family emergency for two weeks and I am picking her up on Tuesday. I have a feeling this winter will be hard for her this year since she gradually got used to the cold and then left for two weeks and is now coming back. In Thailand they consider 20c COLD which is about 68f here. When she was packing she took most of all her cold weather clothes and only a small amount of warm weather clothes. I asked her why she was doing that and she said because it will be cold in Thailand. I talked to her after she got to Bangkok and she said it is HOT here. Once she got back to her village she said it was cold there.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Just out of curiosity and to hear some funny stories , "How long did it take for your wife to adjust to the cold."

she never did manage to adjust to the cold... so i finally gave in and let her out of the walk in freezer

Edited by Dan & Jenni

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Moving from Accra Ghana to Fairbanks Alaska was a big change for Florence. We bought a warm coat before we left Accra so she could deal with shock of getting off the plane in Alaska. We had a cold snap here in Fairbanks last month. It was between -30 and -40 for a week. She took it well but did complain some. Now, anything above zero is manageable. She still sleeps in long thermal underwear. I think the short days have been just as difficult as the cold for her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.