Sayha or bust.

Does your wife ever get used to the cold?

47 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity and to hear some funny stories , "How long did it take for your wife to adjust to the cold."

My wife's been here since last February and still likes to sleep in her jacket and pants. One thing that makes me laugh is it will be 35 degrees and she will be bundled up to the max and will have open toe sandals or flip flops. lol. Share your stories if you have some.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Just out of curiosity and to hear some funny stories , "How long did it take for your wife to adjust to the cold."

My wife's been here since last February and still likes to sleep in her jacket and pants. One thing that makes me laugh is it will be 35 degrees and she will be bundled up to the max and will have open toe sandals or flip flops. lol. Share your stories if you have some.

I don't know about getting used to the cold, but after 1 year my wife thinks it's cold here when, in reality, it's about 10 degrees warmer during the winter than she was used to in Colombia. She's going to have problems when we go back for a visit next month.:lol:

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

I think getting used to the cold takes awhile when you're used to beautiful warm weather all year round (except for a few hurricanes here and there of course lol). Anything below 60 degrees is cold to me but I can grin and bear it now. I just make sure the house is nice and warm and when I go out I always have a coat on hand except in the summer. My hubby calls me the coat queen :lol:

I think getting used to the cold takes awhile when you're used to beautiful warm weather all year round (except for a few hurricanes here and there of course lol). Anything below 60 degrees is cold to me but I can grin and bear it now. I just make sure the house is nice and warm and when I go out I always have a coat on hand except in the summer. My hubby calls me the coat queen :lol:

Cold to her is 75 degrees and below, and I'd have to say she a coat queen too and likes to wear her sweat pants underneath her Jeans..

Buddha.

My husband sure brags that he's the 'real Minnesotan' when he is the one wearing the lighter coat to go outside. Although the bragging usually stops when the weather dips below zero and then it's all swearing and mumbling.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Alla is from Ukraine. It is colder than Vermont. She sleeps naked in the winter. No kidding.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Alla is from Ukraine. It is colder than Vermont. She sleeps naked in the winter. No kidding.

Nice!!! good.gif I can only wish my honey would.....

Buddha.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Umm, who doesn't sleep naked in the winter, all year round for that matter.. I dont own Pyjamas.and yes, I went there!

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

Cold to her is 75 degrees and below, and I'd have to say she a coat queen too and likes to wear her sweat pants underneath her Jeans..

That was me at first... I can remember when I felt the cold wintry breeze hit my face for the first time, I literally stopped breathing for a couple of seconds... I was that traumatised. :unsure:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Cherry is learning to tolerate the cold more after being here for 90 days and an education to dress warmly and not like she would in the Phills :whistle:

bob

Timeline

Umm, who doesn't sleep naked in the winter, all year round for that matter.. I dont own Pyjamas.and yes, I went there!

Ditto. All year round. PJ's bug me... I just can't do it.

Timeline

I don't know about getting used to the cold, but after 1 year my wife thinks it's cold here when, in reality, it's about 10 degrees warmer during the winter than she was used to in Colombia. She's going to have problems when we go back for a visit next month.:lol:

Are you taking into account the windchill? I couldn't believe how much the windchill changed things. I'm fine until there's a breeze then i pull up the neck warmer/face mask thing I just bought.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

My Fresy has never seen snow or any temperature below 65 degrees. She sure is in for a shock when she steps off the plane sometime in January when the average Cleveland temperature is 20 degrees...

In preparation for her visit I've bought her 2 coats. One down filled and 1 full length wool. Also, ear warmers, thick socks, gloves, and a couple of hats. She learned to knit and has made herself several scarfs...

But, as much as I've tried to prepare her for winter in Northern Ohio, she's in for a bit of a reality check when she arrives.

She must really love me if she's coming to Ohio in January.

I don't think she'll be sleeping naked until mid-July.

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

When I tell Mrs. T-B. that it will be "cold" tomorrow, she gives me a semi-blank stare. It's the same when she asks "Is cold?" and I say "yes." I remember my first trip to Ecuador, when I asked her "What will the weather be like tomorrow?" She said, "We use the Ecuador Weather Channel. Wait until tomorrow, open the door, stick out your hand, and if it doesn't get wet, it isn't raining." She tends to follow the same procedure here, when it comes to testing the cold. She almost never watches the televised weather reports, and she periodically asks me whether there are any hurricanes in the area.

Conversely, when I tell her "It will be as hot as Guayaquil," she understands completely, si man.

In Cuenca, in the mountains, the temperature rarely gets above 60 F., brrr man. I'm completely comfortable there in a long-sleeved flannel shirt, perhaps even without a light jacket, but the natives are all bundled up like Eskimos, si man. The tables are turned in Guayaquil (on the coast), where I'm usually sweating like a #######, and the natives -- who are entirely comfortable -- glance at me curiously as if they're thinking "what's wrong with him, huh man?"

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.