missyouhoney

8 weeks pregnant, Can I divorce and go back home?

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Te sugiero que esperes despues que tu bebe venga al mundo,en el embarazo se atraviesan etapas frustrantes que es algo mas que normal por el cambio de hormonas,date un tiempo para que arregles tus problemas y quizas se mejore tu matrimonio los hijos cambian muchas veces a los padres,te lo digo por experiencia!!! Deseo Dios te de sabiduria y todo te salga bien Dios te Bendiga

Translation:

I suggest you wait for your baby, come to the world, in pregnancy through frustrating stages which is something more than normal by change of hormones, you date a while that you fix your problems and perhaps improve your marriage children change often to parents, I tell you from experience! Desire God you of wisdom and everything comes out well Dios you bless

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you don't want to be with him fine...but to leave and take his baby won't happen. First its morally wrong that you would want to do that and unless he let's you it won't happen. See if he wants the child...if he does then have the baby then leave. But to take his child you should be ashamed.

a reminder that we're not here to judge one another. She should do what she deems best for her and her child. It can be very hard to go through a pregnancy without the support of friends and family.

Good luck to you OP! I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

Edited by Gabbi

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-08

Packet 3 Received : 2011-07-02

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-07-03

Packet 4 Received : 2011-07-21

Interview Date : 2011-08-24

Interview Result :Approved!

POE: 2011-09-12

Married: 2011-09-30

AOS filed: 2011-10-17

NOA1: 2011-10-25

Biometrics Appt: 2011-11-09

Case transferred to CSC: 2011-12-23

EAD approval: 2011-12-28

Husband secretly pulled I-864 thus cancelling I-485 application 2012-05-10

F22zm4.png[/center]

Abortion advice is a bit out of this forum's realm, in my personal opinion..

OP - United States cannot hold a foreign citizen here against his/her will, unless he/she has committed a crime of which they are being prosecuted or sentenced in this country. Until the baby is born, you have the right to stay here, to go back to Spain, or to go anywhere else for that matter, and based on my knowledge on this matter your husband does not have any legal right to stop you from leaving this country.

If the baby is born in Spain the baby will be under Spain's jurisdiction. If the baby is born in the US, you cannot take the child out of this country without his/her US citizen father's permission. I am not versed enough in US custody law to know what the father's chances are in terms of filing for custody if you take the route of leaving, giving birth in Spain and staying there, but I would imagine they wouldn't be that good. Fathers tend to stand on uneven ground compared to mothers when it comes to custody battles.

Then, a personal opinion based on experience as a social worker in child protection and family services: No matter how pissed you are at your husband right now, try to not take it out on a child. I fully think it is your choice to have or not to have this baby, but should you choose to have him/her, it is your job as the mother and as the primary parent (i.e. the parent with whom the child will be living with) to make sure the child has a connection to and relationship with his/her father. This is hard when it comes to any divorce family, but it becomes 1000 times harder when the parents are citizens of different countries and decide to reside in different parts of the world. However, once an adult has a child, the best interest of that child should be guiding all your decisions and actions. The baby cannot choose where he/she is born and to whom, so it is up to you and your husband to discuss this situation and come up with a plan that will allow the child to maintain relationships to family members here in the US, and also to ensure that the baby gets to know his/her other home country and culture too. If I were you, I would try to have these discussions with your husband now and come up with some sort of a solution that somehow satisfies both of you - and that is in the best interest of your baby.

Also, on a personal note - Though I am 150% feminist and fully in support of women's right to choose when, how and with whom to have a baby, I still believe that when a woman does willfully become pregnant, it is her responsibility and duty to understand that though she is the one carrying the child, there are two parents - and the father's role is just as important in a child's life as is the mother's.

Edited by Little_My

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

to the OP, leave your husband if both of you don't want to work on your marriage anymore. your son is going to be a USC so you won't have a problem getting his visa and chances are you will be able to get a tourist visa to bring him back for whatever reason. but you have to respect the right of the father to his child so let him know about your plan. if he says he doesn't care, let him know still that he can visit his son in the future. it's also your baby's right to know and see his father. in other words, leave your husband but be fair to your baby =)

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

to the OP, leave your husband if both of you don't want to work on your marriage anymore. your son is going to be a USC so you won't have a problem getting his visa and chances are you will be able to get a tourist visa to bring him back for whatever reason. but you have to respect the right of the father to his child so let him know about your plan. if he says he doesn't care, let him know still that he can visit his son in the future. it's also your baby's right to know and see his father. in other words, leave your husband but be fair to your baby =)

Here's the thing... if the father isn't involved in the child's life there is no PROOF the child is a USC. The father has to sign the paperwork laying claim to the child and all that fun stuff. I know this because a friend had to speak to her deadbeat ex in order to get their son's CRBA stuff done. Took close to a year from when my friend started it, he kept screwing up the paperwork and even tried to blackmail her. Telling her he would only sign if she would let him give up his parental rights. Luckily he's a moron so it got sorted without that, but still.

Also, if the child DOES get USC then he won't need a visa to the US. It's also not very likely that she'll be entitled to a visitors visa... a bit of an overstay risk IMO.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Sometimes hormones can make you crazy.
For the FULL first trimester, si man. Avoid making rash decisions without objective local advice.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

People forgot to say, but you need to pray about it. Pray with an open heart and every day. Pour your feelings out to the Lord, and He for sure will help you get to the best decision. Trust Him and have faith.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Im not going to speak for the relationship here, only the womans choices who is in control of her body, and the babies inpending citizenship.

It is my understaning that wherever the child is born, that is where they belong. If you chose to go home, and birth the baby there, that country now has claim to the child. They are considered a resident there and courts would be more willing to have the child raised where born - unless of course both parents decide otherwise. You will have more control over the up bringing of the child, should you choose to, in the country you live in. Courts also probably wont give daddy any type of custody out of country while the child is very young - nursing issues and what not. So you have many years to figure out what kind of arraigment to make. Then again, once the child is in school, in your country, the child wont be able to leave until summer or Christmas holidays, and usualy its a month a year. Daddy can, of course, come to your country to visit whenever he wishes, but odds are that would be very costly and unless hes very wealthy, probably wont be much of an issue.

You need to make the decision that is best for you now first, baby second. If you feel that you have a better support system back home, then go, and make your choices there.

Good luck to you

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

So we´ve been married for 5 months but I can´t stand him anymore. I had my doubts but still came, married, and made a baby with him. I know it was a mistake but I don´t want to make more mistakes. I want to go back home ( Europe) where I feel safe and loved. I don´t want to send the wrong message, he´s not hitting me. I´m not interested in a Green Card nor nothing, I just want to go home and have my baby there with my family.

My question is: Can I get a divorce? Can the law make me stay cos I´m pregnant with his baby?

Thank you.

ERRATA: I MEANT -WEEKS- NOT -MONTHS- PREGNANT.

From your profile:

"We met at the laundry room. He felt in love with the way I folded the socks. I´m kidding. We´ve dated for 2 years and can´t wait to do the laundry together again."

It's funny how we forget how and why we fell in love with someone....

...Maybe you two need to go back and do some more laundry ?????

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

tell him what you are doing and ask him for time to feel how it would be back home. if he is a real man he will let you go and then you can stay spereated and see if you want to gt a divorve then. everyone will give you advice but you know you have already made your decesion. if you have a family that will help you take care of the baby then go. if hes not right for you then he know is it to. he might not even fight to keep the baby and if he does it will be more to do with you leaving him than to actually take care of the baby on his own. me and my wife seperated for 2 weeks and i decided to move to europe to be with her and her family and we worked out great. good luck!!!

So we´ve been married for 5 months but I can´t stand him anymore. I had my doubts but still came, married, and made a baby with him. I know it was a mistake but I don´t want to make more mistakes. I want to go back home ( Europe) where I feel safe and loved. I don´t want to send the wrong message, he´s not hitting me. I´m not interested in a Green Card nor nothing, I just want to go home and have my baby there with my family.

My question is: Can I get a divorce? Can the law make me stay cos I´m pregnant with his baby?

Thank you.

Like others on here have said, it would be in your best interest to leave now before you have the baby and divorce him from there. If you wait then your going to have to go through a lot of hoops. No need to let him know your leaving ...call him from Spain and let him know where your at and what your plans are. Once your in Spain "the ball is in your park" as we say here. You hold the home field advantage.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** One inappropriate post and several quoting same removed. Topic title changed to reflect that OP is 8 weeks pregnant, not 8 months *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

You have no idea what this woman's relationship is, so please don't judge.

OP:

You are only 8 weeks pregnant so you have time. Have you started working yet here in the US? Coming on a K1 and waiting for AOS is tough on your relationship and your feeling of independence and self worth. Many here know that. Can you wait for AP and take a trip home to visit your family to clear your head? Can you go to counselling with your husband and try to figure something out? What does he think about the situation? Does he want to work things out?

I wish you all the best. Please ignore the nonsense some people have posted. Your baby will not hate you when it is 18 because you left the father. That is just ridiculous and rude. What ever you choose will be for the best.

Divorce and leaving the US is a big decision. Make sure it's the right one for you if that's what you choose.

Take care,

Helen

OP aleady stated that the husband is not absusive, just that she can not stand him. Sad commentary that they can't get along, but how in the world is it fair to the father for the mother to just up and take the unborn child thousands of miles away?

They made a baby together and there are consequences for that. I'm not saying that the OP needs to stay with a man she doesn't love, but she also doesn't have to move across an ocean. The father is entitled to be a part of his child's life if he so chooses.

It's one thing if the father tells the OP he wants nothing to do with the child. Then by all means, go home to Spain and live your life, raise your child (with the father paying child support). BUT if he wants to be an integral part of the child's life then he should have that opportunit.

Really sad that some members would tell the OP to just hop a plane this weekend and not even take the father's considerations into account. Hope that never happens to someone that posted for the OP to leave the USA immediately.

From your profile:

"We met at the laundry room. He felt in love with the way I folded the socks. I´m kidding. We´ve dated for 2 years and can´t wait to do the laundry together again."

It's funny how we forget how and why we fell in love with someone....

...Maybe you two need to go back and do some more laundry ?????

Or clean the bathroom!

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

If you don't want to be with him fine...but to leave and take his baby won't happen. First its morally wrong that you would want to do that and unless he let's you it won't happen. See if he wants the child...if he does then have the baby then leave. But to take his child you should be ashamed.

:rofl:

The OP didn't ask for your views of morality. :bonk:

The OP can leave at her own discretion.

(Crusaders... :wacko: )

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thank you.

You can leave. The law does not stop you at all. Since you're a green card holder and the child would be born over seas the man, the husband, father of the child would have to claim the child as his for the child to gain US Citizenship. Yes children born to US Citizens are "auto-citizens" when the mother us one however when the father is and the mother isnt.. it has to be claimed it is not automatic.. I would think life in Europe is better than that of the USA.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.