Freedove7

My petitioner doesnt pay taxes..Will this be an issue ?

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Perhaps at the time he filed, the deadline for filing 2010 taxes had not yet passed? That's the only thing I can think.

That's what I'm wondering. April 18 I think it was this year. That's the only way he might not get into trouble... It just shocks me that he finally achieved Citizeship and now he just doesn't give a toss about the rules of the country he just gave his oath for? Some people...

Filed: Country: Haiti
Timeline

He means "you" collectively, as in your and your husband. If at the time of naturalizing he lied on his forms (that box that said "have you ever failed to file?") he is guilty of a misrepresentation. His citizenship can be revoked. This will cancel YOUR LPR status (if you get it).

You are illegal. You might not like the term but that's just what it is. You can call yourself an "over-stayer", that's true too, but if you were ever arrested they would have said "she is here illegally, she overstayed her visa/I-94".

[/quote

Well how about we be a bit more positive here.Btw,I didnt enter the US. with a visa; nor did I ever receive an I 94... I might have gotten an I 94 w ,but im not sure as I came here really young.

He means "you" collectively, as in your and your husband. If at the time of naturalizing he lied on his forms (that box that said "have you ever failed to file?") he is guilty of a misrepresentation. His citizenship can be revoked. This will cancel YOUR LPR status (if you get it).

You are illegal. You might not like the term but that's just what it is. You can call yourself an "over-stayer", that's true too, but if you were ever arrested they would have said "she is here illegally, she overstayed her visa/I-94".

Well how about we be a bit more positive here.I cant believe you said "if I get it."Btw,I didnt enter the US. with a visa; nor did I ever receive an I 94... I might have gotten an I 94 w ,but im not sure as I came here really young.

Adjustment of Status from TPS to Permanent Resident

Married on December 28,2007 <3

01/18/2012 Sent I130 to USCIS

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/11/2012 Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

4/23/2012 Biometric Appointment notice received

5/4/2012 Biometrics completed & the real waiting game begins !

Timeline

That's what I'm wondering. April 18 I think it was this year. That's the only way he might not get into trouble... It just shocks me that he finally achieved Citizeship and now he just doesn't give a toss about the rules of the country he just gave his oath for? Some people...

You are a very negative person I see.You dont give much advice.You just seem to criticize.I have received valuable advice from alot of members on here.Thats what im on this site for: for advice,not criticism.

Edited by Freedove7

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well how about we be a bit more positive here.Btw,I didnt enter the US. with a visa; nor did I ever receive an I 94... I might have gotten an I 94 w ,but im not sure as I came here really young.

Well how about we be a bit more positive here.I cant believe you said "if I get it."Btw,I didnt enter the US. with a visa; nor did I ever receive an I 94... I might have gotten an I 94 w ,but im not sure as I came here really young.

You probably will get it, but you don't at the moment hence my clarification. The Canadian entry is treated like a B2 visa, there is a period of 6 months that you can stay, legally. You have passed that period. You have overstayed your "visa", you are illegal. It's pretty much that simple.

I'm not trying to be rude. Your AOS will be fine once your husband files his tax returns. HOWEVER, the fact that he didn't file taxes is bad for his naturlization, depending on when his N-400 was approved. If he lied on the form (ticked the box that said he'd never failed to file) and he HADN'T filed, and he's found out, his USC status will be revoked, and he will be deported with a lifetime ban. Your LPR status (WHEN you get it) will also be revoked (as you got it based on an falsely obtained USC status). You will be on their radar so you will be detained and deported with a 10 year ban for your overstay.

You are a very negative person I see.You dont give much advice.You just seem to criticize.I have received valuable advice from alot of members on here.Thats what im on this site for: for advice,not criticism.

I give a lot of advice. In fact in my post that you quoted I listed the April 18 date. if he never got USC after that date (without a tax return extension) then he lied on his forms. That's a misrep that can result in his USC status being revoked. This is VERY serious. I'm sorry to burst your bubble. See a lawyer if you want to, who will confirm that lying on the forms will come back to bite him (and you now) big time.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Leasson learned ! Lol

you can either file last year's tax or wait and file this years tax at least and find a co-sponsor, and postpone cleaning the mess up later, because you only need one tax return paperwork only for the sake of support.

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

The advise you are looking for is very clear here. CONVINCE YOUR PETITIONER TO FILE A TAX AT LEAST ONE OR TWO. THEN CORRECT THE MISTAKE OF NOT FILING THE TAX LATER... PERIOD. OTHERWISE YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE...... AND I DO NOT WANT TO PAY YOU A DIME IN THE PRISON FROM MY TAX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will be adjusting my status in the U.S.My husband is a freelance and doesn't pay taxes.He gets paid with checks but I think this is still considered working "under the table." Will they deny my application because my petitioner doesnt pay taxes ? I will get a joint Sponsor, but I'm afraid that since my husband is the petitioner and doesnt have a way to prove his income,this might be an issue.Any thoughts ?

in order to get petitioned he must prove income , if not the usa will believe you will be a burden to the usa . it must be proved he has 3 yrs of tax returned , there is something called 1099 tax forms , this is someone that works as a free lancer but pay taxes , if you like there is a company called orvis in cebu , look it up and call them , if anyone could help they are the ones , that guy knows everything about fiancee petitions , iam sure he could guide you , we used them and our petition was granted and we have our visa approved already , my fiancee will come to the usa in a few days , good luck .

OP, keep in mind that even if filing means he owes money, he doesn't have to pay it all before you file for AOS. He can work out a payment plan with IRS to get that taken care of. USCIS doesn't care if he is on a 10-year payment plan with IRS, they care that he filed the taxes and has a copy. That can be taken care of in a day or less either on your own or at H&R Block or a similar place.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

you can either file last year's tax or wait and file this years tax at least and find a co-sponsor, and postpone cleaning the mess up later, because you only need one tax return paperwork only for the sake of support.

Yes .Thats our plan.

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I posted another question in regards to this.My husband,the petitioner for my AOS, doesnt file for taxes.He gets paid with checks and cash and works as an Event Planner for a company.He says the company files taxes .Im confused...Anyhow,will him not paying taxes prevent me from being approved ?Can we just send a copy of his checks and a letter frm his employer ?what if I just get a Joint Sponsor ?

ask him to show you last year's 1099 and/or W-2 forms. soonish.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Freedove, let me sum this up again:

You've been married for 3 years - so you don't have to go in for a 2nd interview.

Taxes were filed until 2009 - so your husband has to file for 2010

Current income for 2011 can be shown by using a letter of employer, bank-statements, copies of checks, and such.

If you get this 3 points taken care of - everything else should go okay.

All done ;-)

Timeline

Freedove, let me sum this up again:

You've been married for 3 years - so you don't have to go in for a 2nd interview.

Taxes were filed until 2009 - so your husband has to file for 2010

Current income for 2011 can be shown by using a letter of employer, bank-statements, copies of checks, and such.

If you get this 3 points taken care of - everything else should go okay.

Good advice.Thanks

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Timeline

So should I give a copy of his income tax from 2008 and 2009 even though he changed jobs and no longer works for that employer ? He will file for 2010 tax year...

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

So should I give a copy of his income tax from 2008 and 2009 even though he changed jobs and no longer works for that employer ? He will file for 2010 tax year...

Yes, definitely.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.