Ludyous

Fiance problems adjusting to food

130 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

We had that problem as well and the food isn't much different!! I talked to a coworker who is American married to an American woman and he said it took him nearly TWO years to get accustomed to his wife's cooking. That leads me to believe it's part of EVERY marriage.

Don't worry too much!! All you can do it keep trying new recipes to figure out what you both like. I'm currently still doing this. It's hard, but you both need to learn to cook and experiment.

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well, ya missed a step.

When you were there, back in Morocco,

you were supposed to sit with him and his mother for a bit,

inquire for his favorite dishes,

then

SHE teaches you how to cook them.

It's a bit involved, but once ya get the hang of it, in HER kitchen, you'll be fine.

The trick, IMO, is to mimic Mama's cooking, always.

For me and my lass - her mama is a bad cook but her brothers are excellent cooks. I spend 2 days each time, learning more.

Yes, we missed this step. We didn't had much time. What we are trying to do is look up his favorite moroccan food in YOUTUBE. We already made moroccan crepes. Took us a couple of hrs to make 5 all hand made from scratch lol :rofl:

Edited by Ludyous

Learn to cook that one rice dish, and cook it everyday for 365 days, note: you would have met your wifely concerns of cooking for your husband. Leave evrything else up to GOd, chance and him(hubby).

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Timeline

We had that problem as well and the food isn't much different!! I talked to a coworker who is American married to an American woman and he said it took him nearly TWO years to get accustomed to his wife's cooking. That leads me to believe it's part of EVERY marriage.

Don't worry too much!! All you can do it keep trying new recipes to figure out what you both like. I'm currently still doing this. It's hard, but you both need to learn to cook and experiment.

2 yrs!! oh know! We better find a solution to this, 2 yrs is to long.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

If he says not to worry then don't worry. I understand that you want to cook for him, but it will take some time for him to get used to it.

If you plan to take him to a Moroccan/Mediterranean restaurant he may have the same complaints because it may not be as authentic as he is used to getting at home.

When my husband came, even though I cooked the food he was used to eating there was a difference. He slowly started getting used to the fact that its not going to taste 100% authentic but we do the best with what we have here. Getting him to eat out was a struggle until he started working and had to eat different things for lunch. Some days he would like the choice, sometimes not.

If he can cook his own food then learn from him and see what he likes. Sometimes you don't have to make it exactly as he does. For example, my husband is used to eating a lot of rice with some kind of sauce/stew. So one day I made some stir-fry beef with fried rice. He loved it. Its not something that he ever ate before, but from what I had seen him eating I thought I would try it out.

Don't feel bad if you cook and he does not eat. I know it is a hard pill to swallow, but you are both just getting used to being together and it is a process.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

I'm not Moroccan but i know what he is missing their food is GOOOOOD. Anyways there should be some restaurants that carry his food for once in a while for the rest of it make him get used to your food and if he cooks let him cook for all of you. Luckily I didn't have the same problem when it comes to my husband since I cook Serbian (Yugoslavian) food most of the time and he loves my favorite which is Mexican..I can't wait for Ramadan Season so he can try all the Arabic food I have learned to love living here in NY and I'm disappointed because he hates Chinese food :(

[font="Century Gothic"]Married March 27, 2010
Sent out I-130 December 29, 2010
Recieved NOA 1 January 4, 2011
Touched January 6, 2011
Recieved NOA 2 May 9, 2011
Interview September 27, 2011
Visa in hand Septmeber 30, 2011 (it would of been the same day as the interview but they requested some more info)
POE - JFK, NYC October 12, 2011 [/font]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;23/st/20100327/e/Since+our+wedding/k/ccbb/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Try and cook what he likes also, mix and match. good luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

cook him "grits" and he will never complain about anything else that you cook.... ever!!!

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sounds like a friend of mine he refuses to eat anything but mexican, big mac or whopper oh and pepperoni pizza or cheese

I got him a different type of burger and he made himself sick.

its in his head and he knows it. as he was fine with the burger until i told him what it was.

have him do the cooking for ya. and learn from him.

thats the best way.

then ask him since i learned how to cook your meals can you atleast give my foods a chance?

things take time to get use to but it will happen unless he is pigheaded like my friend.

GC in Hand since nov/dec11
Currently in Process of I-751 Waiting Period.

delivered 9-12-13 NOA Dated 9-12-13 w/amount received. Received 9-16-13

Biometrics Received 9-27-13 APP: 10-15-13 3pm.
House is Listed for Sale & Hopefully it will sell soon.

Timeline

Thank you all for your advise :thumbs: i do think it's in his head...he always looks worried :unsure: wondering what's in the food. I will try to learn to cook what he likes over the weekends since during the week i do get of job pretty late that's another thing his bored at home. He will just have to get used to it since he knew all this will happen i told him hundreds of times and he said as longs as he was with me he will be fine. i love my gordo, hopefully we overcome all of these changes soon.

Edited by Ludyous

Timeline

i havent hand a chance to read thru all the responses here but i went on YouTube and typed in how to cook Moroccan Tajine and a lot vidoes came up with instructions on how to make some pretty tasty looking food. Amazon.com has some Moroccan cook books. I absolutely love Moroccan food and even though im sure i wont be able to come close to my fiances mothers' food, i hope he'll like what is prepared for him. Good Luck! er maybe good luck to him :)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I understand the situation as for my wife coming from Philippines it was lots easier as she was open minded to almost all foods.

she tries everything sometimes she don't like it the first time but 2nd time she does usually haha.

But it does get very boring I just ended up giving her a chores list to do daily and it helped a little.

harder for the opposite sex though. Us men get lazy haha.

Have him make a list of things he would like also.

Issue of some of it is getting fresh foods. as our foods in states honestly do not compare to the quality elsewhere.

To much of it is coated or enhanced and others are not use to it.

Such as some of the veggies fruits etc being larger or just a different name confuses some people that are not use to it.

Not sure how things are there as I have never tried there foods but in all honesty its just the way its prepared & served most of the time.

Lots of Filipino Spanish etc dishes are nearly the same as what we make.

But ya have him prepare meals for you since he has nothing better to do while your working hehe.

less for you to worry about & less for you to do.

If my wife was working I wouldn't have such a problem cooking but since she don't its her chore haha.

PS She is reading all this while i type it. And understands

GC in Hand since nov/dec11
Currently in Process of I-751 Waiting Period.

delivered 9-12-13 NOA Dated 9-12-13 w/amount received. Received 9-16-13

Biometrics Received 9-27-13 APP: 10-15-13 3pm.
House is Listed for Sale & Hopefully it will sell soon.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It took me quite a while to adjust to the different flavours and additives. I still prefer Australian food, its MUCH better than American food but I can actually eat food here now. The worst was bread, cheese, chocolate and candy.

What is it that he does not like? The texture? Consistency? Flavor? Spiciness? See what you narrow it down to and eliminate those factors. Then work with what you both like and hopefully you will only make minor adjustments after that.

Or stick it all in a blender and have enchilada shakes.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.