Ludyous

Fiance problems adjusting to food

130 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Go to Cost Plus World Market and get Ras El Hanout (a Moroccan Spice). They cook a lot with cumin, black pepper, and cayenne pepper or paprika. Also, try maybe to get organic chicken, rather than the chicken from Safeway. See if you can find some good olives, not Spanish with the pimentos. Buy bread at Panera! Fry a bit of onions, olive oil, garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper and bit of salt, and then put it in the crock pot with chicken, potatoes, carrots and let it simmer all day. Perhaps you can find a shop, where they can mix you up a bunch of spices to have on hand.

Thanks. This is what we have been eating its called Tajin right?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

To stock up on new spices you'll need, see if you have a Penzey's store near you. They have great variety and it's really cheap. Higher-end supermarkets have bulk spice sections that are cheap and sometimes really diverse too. And someone mentioned World Market -- it's worth repeating. A little more costly, but great variety.

My husband is an internationally trained chef and I love to cook ethnic food of all sorts. So we don't really quibble over dish choice. He does miss "Peruvian cooking" all the time, even though he has a lot of the ingredients here after deep and creative searching for sources. We've tried all the local Peruvian restaurants and it just isn't the same. And his home versions work, too, but something is amiss. We've determined that it's about freshness and farming technology/practice differences. After having lived in Peru, we cannot stomach the chicken from the regular supermarket. It's too fatty, the flavor is off, etc. The fruit here is just not as rich, since it's picked so early for shipping. I could go on, but you get the point. We've been able to deal with some of this by shopping at a higher-end market and bi-weekly farmers markets. Since we're only two blocks from our favorite store, we go at least twice a week and just buy what's needed for our planned meals in the coming days. Our grocery efforts are more extensive, but the household happiness is priceless!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Buying fresh bread daily would break someone if they are not making bank.

baking bread at home tastes tons better to me then buying bread.

buying fresh fruit in the states is not so easy unless u live where they grow it.

which is why I suggest a garden. not to hard to start. just takes so long to produce.

hopefully your journey goes will and he adjusts better to everything.

good luck & hope everything works well.

GC in Hand since nov/dec11
Currently in Process of I-751 Waiting Period.

delivered 9-12-13 NOA Dated 9-12-13 w/amount received. Received 9-16-13

Biometrics Received 9-27-13 APP: 10-15-13 3pm.
House is Listed for Sale & Hopefully it will sell soon.

I was also going to suggest Penzey's, let Yelp help guide you, my husband and I had lots of good experiences going to restaurants and markets recommended by the members. You might try a local farmer's market, they usually have fresh, organic and seasonal fruit and vegetables, this will be a similar to what your husband is used to experience-wise. Granted the markets may not be open everyday, but it's something good to do every week.

Also, ask him to try with you other cuisines, that are neither Mexican nor Morrocan, so that there isn't a feeling of "we're eating your food", I think you tried sushi, raw fish may be a little hard for some where they are only used to cooked fish or salted and dried fish. Maybe start with something flavorful, but less adventurous?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

thank you all for your suggestions and tips. I really appreciate. I will check the website and will learn to cook what my fiance likes to eat, also will cook the food i like. We will mix and match. :thumbs:

hey don't worry about it ,he ll be adjust to the food as long as it doesn't have pork ,Mexican food is Similar to Moroccan food easy thing to do also put little bit extra black paper , cumman , garlic and Olive oil on your dishes ,I promise it will do the trick Good luck

Edited by Uliana+abdo

Filed: Timeline

Hello Ludyous,

My husband is from Casablanca and on all my visits to Morocco, I was very lucky to visit most of his relatives and watch them prepare many dishes. My husband is a wonderful cook and had no problems. Now, one thing some here have not mentioned. At first, my husband only wanted Halal meat that was killed accordingly to the way they believe. For a few weeks, we bought all our meat from the Halal market and bought Amish chicken. One Friday, after praying at the Mosque, my husband talked with the Imam about the food and what most muslims do here re: meat. The Imam told him to say "BESMI ALLAH" (which means in the name of God) just before he ate non halal meat and it would be okay to eat any dish as long as it has no alcohol in it. In America, even VANILLA FLAVORING can have alcohol in it so beware and read. Also, many many many foods/desserts have mostly PORK GELATIN in the ingredient statement, so read very carefully, as he would be very angry if some how he was given a dessert that contained pork. Also, many sauces in restaurants have wine in them so make sure that is a no no too.

I take all of this into consideration when going to the grocery store and we both read labels. I have heard some wives say "well what he doesn't know want hurt" I think these wives should have never married a Muslim man if they cannot take into consideration his feelings and how important his religion is to him. Keep in mind ladies, these men leave their family and friends and the country they love to be with the one they love here in America.

I have learned and I do mean LEARNED how to cook Moroccan. I have practiced many hours just trying to make bread and so many other dishes. I now can go into the kitchen and prepare some of his favorite dishes.

Keep these supplies of ground spices on hand:

Turmeric - Khar9oum (in arabic should he need to know this spice)

Cumin - Kamoun

Ginger - Skeenjbeer

Paprika - Tahmera

Bread Flour and Semolina together is best for making the bread.

Should you need some recipes, I have many that I have prepared and can send you some here, even the FAMOUS BREAD in Morocco.

Good luck and have in the kitchen with your hubby learning to cook the MOROCCAN WAY....... it's yummy and good for you.

Darlene

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello Ludyous,

My husband is from Casablanca and on all my visits to Morocco, I was very lucky to visit most of his relatives and watch them prepare many dishes. My husband is a wonderful cook and had no problems. Now, one thing some here have not mentioned. At first, my husband only wanted Halal meat that was killed accordingly to the way they believe. For a few weeks, we bought all our meat from the Halal market and bought Amish chicken. One Friday, after praying at the Mosque, my husband talked with the Imam about the food and what most muslims do here re: meat. The Imam told him to say "BESMI ALLAH" (which means in the name of God) just before he ate non halal meat and it would be okay to eat any dish as long as it has no alcohol in it. In America, even VANILLA FLAVORING can have alcohol in it so beware and read. Also, many many many foods/desserts have mostly PORK GELATIN in the ingredient statement, so read very carefully, as he would be very angry if some how he was given a dessert that contained pork. Also, many sauces in restaurants have wine in them so make sure that is a no no too.

I take all of this into consideration when going to the grocery store and we both read labels. I have heard some wives say "well what he doesn't know want hurt" I think these wives should have never married a Muslim man if they cannot take into consideration his feelings and how important his religion is to him. Keep in mind ladies, these men leave their family and friends and the country they love to be with the one they love here in America.

I have learned and I do mean LEARNED how to cook Moroccan. I have practiced many hours just trying to make bread and so many other dishes. I now can go into the kitchen and prepare some of his favorite dishes.

Keep these supplies of ground spices on hand:

Turmeric - Khar9oum (in arabic should he need to know this spice)

Cumin - Kamoun

Ginger - Skeenjbeer

Paprika - Tahmera

Bread Flour and Semolina together is best for making the bread.

Should you need some recipes, I have many that I have prepared and can send you some here, even the FAMOUS BREAD in Morocco.

Good luck and have in the kitchen with your hubby learning to cook the MOROCCAN WAY....... it's yummy and good for you.

Darlene

Thank you Darlene...Please do send me some of your recipes. I guess it's been a lil stressful for me just to think what to cook, my mind is just :wacko: out right now. i prefer to go out and eat. I guess im one of those kind of wives :bonk: so please send me some of the recipes as soon as possible.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

mmmmmmmmm grits :)

you like grits??

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

you like grits??

you´re not from the south i take it.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

you´re not from the south i take it.

no but i am moving to Georgia... thats not good is it?? lol

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

no but i am moving to Georgia... thats not good is it?? lol

Grits are good with butter and salt. If you try them, you might start to like them :thumbs: It was the name that scared me the most, but I got used to it.

Ludyous: Yes, Tagine!

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would not stress myself about it.... When he gets hungry enough he will eat...... He is not in Morocco anymore... What did he expect?????? He needs to stop being so silly.....

hahah you're right

Timeline

Grits are good with butter and salt. If you try them, you might start to like them :thumbs: It was the name that scared me the most, but I got used to it.

Ludyous: Yes, Tagine!

oh i have tried grits... i just found it really weird lol :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.