Germanimmigrant

Precipitous Marriage?

83 posts in this topic

Try to help me understand. I am from Germany, so my cultural experience is limited by my upbringing there and my time here in the U.S. I am a fairly conservative person when it comes to relationships and I do take my time before I take the next step. My American wife is the same. When we met, we took our time and dated for a year which we both considered a fairly short time when we decided to get married. In hindsight, we are happy that we did what we did. However, for both of us this time of one year to get to know each other is still fairly short. I had lived in the U.S. for several years before I even met my wife.

I've been reading a lot here recently about people coming to the U.S. and then two or three months later they've met the person of their dreams and have gotten hitched. After 12 weeks. Why would people get married so quickly if it weren't at least sometimes for immigration purposes? I don't want to suggest that people who fit the above description harbor any intent to commit immigration fraud per se. I just don't buy it how someone of sound age and with a solid education would not only find the love of their life (that feeling I can believe in) but also get married in a very, very short time. You can't tell me that abiding love is the only reason in such cases.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I agree. I dated my now husband for 2.5 years before we got engaged, which I think it was a little long considering we were in a long distance relationship and was not so easy... but I would NEVER have gotten married after 3 months of meeting him, that's way too fast! I have heard a lot of stories about americans proposing and getting married after 3 months which I think is crazy, I honestly don't think you get to know a person in 3 months. Anyways, everyone has their own reasons I guess...

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Point is, every case is unique and different. :)

I "knew" after a month but I don't see how anyone could think that would be a good idea. Kind of like how some people spend lottery winnings before they receive any money. Just irresponsible and foolish IMHO.

Edited by nickbits

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Try to help me understand. I am from Germany, so my cultural experience is limited by my upbringing there and my time here in the U.S. I am a fairly conservative person when it comes to relationships and I do take my time before I take the next step. My American wife is the same. When we met, we took our time and dated for a year which we both considered a fairly short time when we decided to get married. In hindsight, we are happy that we did what we did. However, for both of us this time of one year to get to know each other is still fairly short. I had lived in the U.S. for several years before I even met my wife.

I've been reading a lot here recently about people coming to the U.S. and then two or three months later they've met the person of their dreams and have gotten hitched. After 12 weeks. Why would people get married so quickly if it weren't at least sometimes for immigration purposes? I don't want to suggest that people who fit the above description harbor any intent to commit immigration fraud per se. I just don't buy it how someone of sound age and with a solid education would not only find the love of their life (that feeling I can believe in) but also get married in a very, very short time. You can't tell me that abiding love is the only reason in such cases.

I think it's a good thing to ask questions. But when I'm comparing myself, my situation to others and making a judgement call like the marriage is for immigration purposes is judgemental and NOT based on any evidence that can be weighed here.

Filed: Other Timeline

I would like to extend your question and make Part B of it:

How and why is it that somebody who lives in a country of over 310,000,000 people is looking for a spouse in a foreign country? Please don't use the "I like Thai women" or "I like Russian women" argument, as we have plenty of those in the U.S. already.

Second part of my Part B: why would somebody marry someone they have only met once or twice, total? I, too, have dated my wife for over 2 years before we got engaged. It took us another year 'til I proposed, and then another year 'til we got married. This time was really necessary to learn what we both would be like in normal situations, stress situations, and when we have a really bad day. It's all part of the package one needs to accept when committing to stay together 'til death takes 'em apart.

I can't conceive doing this mail order bride thing. But I'm willing to learn, and I'm listening.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I agree with Alex & Rachel every situation is unique and sometimes you just know.

A long courtship can be just as suspicious as a short courtship to a CO, maybe they were friends who decided to get married to help the other one stay in/move to the US.

There is not set formula that proves a relationship is legit because people are individuals and each relationship is different. Thankfully the USCIS knows that and judges on a case by case basis.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Dating 3-5-7-10 years - if there is no marriage, then why are guys wasting each other times? Then what - date the next person for the same period of time?

My opinion (which of course maybe wrong) - the person should know after 6 month, maxiumum 1 year of dating if this is the one for marriage or not. It"s unfortunate that INS requires a marriage with K-1 within 90 days of entry; I personally think K-1 should allow 6 month of stay - even tourist have more time on hand and processing time takes longer than 6 month!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

It's similar to asking a person to prove that their version of God exists. We are all entitle to our our own opinions and free to make our own choices (impulsive or exhaustively researched). What you, me, or anyone else thinks about another's reason for marrying doesn't matter.

That is not what the OP challenges, no reason to be a d**k about it. We all understand your point, the OP was seeking something else than being told the obvious. IMHO.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.