raymondreason

who in their right mind would sign the I-864????

122 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

I'm all for a flat income tax. Everybody pays 10%. I could be persuaded that the first 20k should be taxed at a lower rate, but NEVER zero. Everybody needs to learn that the government takes our money. I'd also abolish any exemptions or credits. And, no more withholding. You get a tax bill every April 15th for the previous year and you pay in full or else. Withholding taxes on each paycheck lets people forget how much the feds really take.

I know, it'll never happen. It's one of the many reasons I'd never run for elected office.

Ahhh... a 53%-er. (Not that I am a 99%-er) tongue.gif

Yes, everyone should have skin in the game. But, some of the lower level have a larger percentage of skin in the game than the upper level. And also, even with everyone putting skin in the game, those at the very bottom still wouldn't be able to make it. There is a fundamental problem with our minimum wage and tax code. It is what it is until someone decides to change it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm all for a flat income tax. Everybody pays 10%. I could be persuaded that the first 20k should be taxed at a lower rate, but NEVER zero. Everybody needs to learn that the government takes our money. I'd also abolish any exemptions or credits. And, no more withholding. You get a tax bill every April 15th for the previous year and you pay in full or else. Withholding taxes on each paycheck lets people forget how much the feds really take.

I know, it'll never happen. It's one of the many reasons I'd never run for elected office.

I am with you on a flat tax, with a lower rate under a certain limit and the abolishing of ALL exemptions, credits, and loopholes. Though I am not sure that the one tax bill is a good idea. I think everyone should now how much the fed is getting, but it can seem a whole lot more overwhelming to get one large bill instead of just having it taken out each pay period. Plus, if there is flat rate, it is easy for a person to figure out how much is/was taken. I have yet to hear a good explanation of why a flat tax won't work.

AOS Journey

04/05/2013 - Submitted I-485, I-763, I-131

04/10/2013 - NOA for all submitted forms

04/15/2013 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled

05/10/2013 - Biometrics Appointment

K1 Journey

09/20/2011 - Submitted I-129F

09/23/2011 - NOA1 (as dated on hard copy received on 09/30/2011 )

01/06/2012 - NOA2 (Your I-129f was approved in 105 days from your NOA1 date.)

01/24/2012 - Petition Arrived at NVC and given MTL Case#

01/26/2012 - Petition Sent to Montreal Consulate

02/03/2012 - Consulate Mailed Packet 3

02/17/2012 - Returned Packet 3 to Consulate

02/27/2012 - RFE for Packet 3

03/14/2012 - Information for RFE sent to Consulate

03/20/2012 - Packet 4

04/24/2012 - Interview at Montreal Consulate (Your interview took 214 days from your I129-F NOA1 date.)

05/22/2012 - Rescheduled Interview at Montreal Consulate (silly us for waiting so long on going to get the criminal check; don't think it will be in on time for the interview so we just went ahead and rescheduled when we saw there was a date open) - APPROVED!

09/23/2012 - Jordan arrived on K1 Visa via Pearson in Toronto

10/19/2012 - Gettin' Married!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

:thumbs: I agree 100%! I'd even be willing to put in a few extra bucks for the needy (specifically kids that need help) and to help fund the bankrupt ponzi scheme for the benefit of those over the age of 50.

I'm all for a flat income tax. Everybody pays 10%. I could be persuaded that the first 20k should be taxed at a lower rate, but NEVER zero. Everybody needs to learn that the government takes our money. I'd also abolish any exemptions or credits. And, no more withholding. You get a tax bill every April 15th for the previous year and you pay in full or else.

Edited by Ready to do it

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Timeline

We should at least be given the choice.

Though I am not sure that the one tax bill is a good idea. I think everyone should now how much the fed is getting, but it can seem a whole lot more overwhelming to get one large bill instead of just having it taken out each pay period. .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes it IS a serious commmitment and it is right for a couple entering into it to recognise exactly what they are signing. My fiance is working through his now for myself and my two children but whilst we recognise the huge commitment it makes from he, he recognises the huge commitment we make aswell in leaving everything here....its simply for security. We have absolutely no intention of divorcing and so do not see it as a loaded gun, I'm with other posters who have mentioned perhaps if YOU see it that way then maybe this process and this woman isn't for you. Is she telling YOU that leaving everything, family, friends, past, her ties, her culture is handing YOU a loaded gun?? Probably not. At the same time, romance aside, its a necessary evil isn't it. I plan to become an American Citizen anyway, just because, not just to nullify the affadavit of support. That way everybody is happy, but I feel comfortable entirely about doing that because I know separating isn't on the cards for us, we wouldn't be working against distance and time if it were. Just as I m happy voiding his liability to become a citizen and soend the rest of my life with my new husband you really ought to be asking yourself why this first hurdle seems SO insurmountable for you??

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

1. You CHOSE to bring your foreign SO to the US, which means that you must guarantee they will NOT become a burden to the US. You could've married an American and not have to face this, but since you're bringing in a foreigner, it's your job to ensure they won't need assistance from the US.

2. She's making a HUGE sacrifice coming to the US too! You think leaving your job, family, friends, everything you've ever known, behind, is easy? You sign a few papers and one day your wife will come and you'll meet her at the airport. She however, has to re-start her life: make new friends, try to get a new job (which, if you read the jobs forum here, isn't easy for foreigners), get to know your family, maybe even learn a new language.

3. Relationships are wonderful, but they involve compromise and sacrifice. If you're truly against this, move to her country, or don't marry her at all.

Timeline

Uhmmm... I was referring to taxes. We should have the choice to have Federal Income taxes taken out of a paycheck each check or pay 1 big tax bill every April 15. The topic at hand kind of swayed a bit and my comment about having a choice was about taxes, which has nothing to do with the original topic.

No, because you as a citizen should do everything in your power to make sure you or your family are not economic burdens to the US.

Filed: Timeline

1. You CHOSE to bring your foreign SO to the US, which means that you must guarantee they will NOT become a burden to the US. You could've married an American and not have to face this, but since you're bringing in a foreigner, it's your job to ensure they won't need assistance from the US.

2. She's making a HUGE sacrifice coming to the US too! You think leaving your job, family, friends, everything you've ever known, behind, is easy? You sign a few papers and one day your wife will come and you'll meet her at the airport. She however, has to re-start her life: make new friends, try to get a new job (which, if you read the jobs forum here, isn't easy for foreigners), get to know your family, maybe even learn a new language.

3. Relationships are wonderful, but they involve compromise and sacrifice. If you're truly against this, move to her country, or don't marry her at all.

What i'm saying is that this is a bad law, designed to discourage marrying a foreigner. What if Russia passed a law that said:" If you move to America and marry, you can never set foot in Russia again, because you are no longer contributing to the tax base, and have left your parents as a burden to Russian society"? That would be outrageous, yes? It would be a vulgar law designed to limit the choices of Russian singles.

This i-864 isn't designed to protect the American taxpayer, believe me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

What i'm saying is that this is a bad law, designed to discourage marrying a foreigner. What if Russia passed a law that said:" If you move to America and marry, you can never set foot in Russia again, because you are no longer contributing to the tax base, and have left your parents as a burden to Russian society"? That would be outrageous, yes? It would be a vulgar law designed to limit the choices of Russian singles.

Have you actually done some research to see how often the I-864 has been used to extract money from someone? When this topic came up before I did some research and there were under a dozen total cases out of the hundreds of thousands that have been signed. They have been used as a basis to increase alimony in a *very few* successful cases. The last successful case I found was from several years ago but then I did not put much effort into it..

Yes it is a Risk - but then so is the reward :)

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Timeline

Agreed! If it had the ability to protect the US taxpayer, then I could understand. However, because people who make very little money are the ones being asked to sign it, it clearly does not protect the US taxpayer.

People post that both parties make sacrifices etc. My idea of a sacrifice for a fiance or foreign spouse is altering my life, providing and protecting her, making sure she lives a happy and fulfilling life, helping her adapt to integrate into US society and make new friends, being the best husband and father that I can. This form is not the correct trade-off when talking about sacrifices both parties make. It is simply an "attempt" to protect the US taxpayer (which it does not), and it places a potential lifelong burden (assuming she never files for citizenship nor meets the required number of qualifying quarters of work) on the USC in the event the marriage fails and by doing so it gives the beneficiary the ability to purposely financially destroy and sabotage the USC's life... forever if she/he so wishes. This is why I am absolutely dumbfounded that anyone would ever co-sponsor for another individual or that the US government even allows co-sponsors. So much for the US government looking out for citizens.

Edited by Ready to do it

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

wow.. i come back to this and now the topic is Taxes!? :blink:

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: Timeline

Have you actually done some research to see how often the I-864 has been used to extract money from someone? When this topic came up before I did some research and there were under a dozen total cases out of the hundreds of thousands that have been signed. They have been used as a basis to increase alimony in a *very few* successful cases. The last successful case I found was from several years ago but then I did not put much effort into it..

Yes it is a Risk - but then so is the reward :)

Good point. I just looked around a little yesterday, and found 10 or 12 examples. Whether that represents a trend or just some anomalies i don't know. And i don't really understand how the whole process works, but it looks like the immigrant has to have permanent resident status to file suit. And that takes a couple of years here to obtain?? (guessing after a quick look-through). So, if that's true, that gives a pretty good period of time....well kind of like novice monks wait a couple of years before they take the irrevocable vows of tonsure.

But to me, it boils down to this. After that point, i will not get divorced, i don't care how "for better or worse" it gets. And if one party is not agreeing to it(divorce), i think the lawsuit would be pretty hard to win. So yeah....i've got to be really sure about this. And i think i am. I've known her for six years, i'm in love, i'm dead sure of her love for me, so i'm mean...i'm done with the due diligence. I'm ready jump out of the plane. It's time, baby.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Choose your spouse wisely, and sign with reckless abandon. :)

spot on :thumbs:

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.