476 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

1. Home Contract copy; Rental copy; lease copy; or affidavit from person you are living with which explains the living arrangements.

2. Copies of utility bills; gas; light; electric; phone; cable; satellite

3. Joint bank accounts (must be in both names)

4. Credit/Debit Cards (under both names)

5. Insurances:

a. Auto Insurance

b. Life Insurance - submit copy of policy showing beneficiaries

c. Medical - submit copy of medical cards for each person

okay so i can get a joint bank account no problem. we actually have seperate ones right now. but we can get a joint one.

We cant get a credit card in both names because i dont have a SSN. and i cant get a cali ID without a SSN.

insurance = i cant get any kind of insurance or be added to my husbands medical insurance without a SSN. so how do i get around this? and is there a way of getting some kind of state ID without having an SSN?

we currently live with my husbands parents due to the economy being bad and only having 1 income we cant afford to move out until i get my work permit and we can both work and afford to move out.

I cant get a licence as i dont drive and didnt drive in the UK.

help??

01/05/08 Married in California

04/01/08 Filed immigration paperwork as advised by our Immigration attorney

01/08/08 Honeymoon in England

06/04/08 Returned to USA from honeymoon (nice long honeymoon)

07/01/08 Find out immigration attorney had told us to file wrong paperwork. So we call USCIS and they advise what paperwork we need to file.

08/26/08 AOS paperwork sent to USCIS (I-485, I-864, I-765) $1010

AOS paperwork submitted to wrong address....so resumbitted to correct address....(thanks uscis customer service line...NOT)

09/09/08 AOS paperwork resubmitted to correct address

09/15/08 Notice that I-485, I-765 received by USCIS on 9/11/08

09/17/08 Letter received giving date of Biometrics appointment

10/01/08 Biometrics done

10/10/08 Case on hold. USCIS requested I-693 (medical exam & Vaccination report)

12/30/08 I-693 sent to USCIS

02/02/09 received letter from USCIS to attend initial interview

03/05/09 initial interview at Sacramento Office

21/21/10 filed for removal of conditions

1/10/11 received letter for biometric appointment

2/10/11 biometric appointment

04/01/11 rceived letter asking for additional information of joint assets and or proof we are a legit couple.

05/02/11 received letter to say they will notify us of date of interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello!

can anyone please help me!

my fiance arrived here in the US last dec13 and we are getting married on jan24,2009.

can he apply for social security now even we're not married yet?

should we apply for AOS now or after we get married?

thank you so much!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Ok, here is the stupid question of the day, and let me just preface this by saying that I could not be any more overwhelmed: what is the deadline to file for AOS? My husband is here on a K-1 visa, we got married after his arrival in the US, and there are 2 different expiration dates on his passport. The one on the visa itself says expiration date April 19, 2009, 6 mo after his interview. there also is a stamp on the I-94 attached to his passport, and the expiration on that is Jan 28, 2009. I have been working on the forms but I'm not sure when they are due, and I'm beginning to worry about how long the vaccination/transcription portion is going to take. if anyone knows of a source for this answer that would be very helpful and appreciated. thanks in advance.

Edited by Chamy and Gatita

4.25.08: sent K-1 application

4.28.08: NOA1

5.14.08: touched

9.25.08: touched

9.26.08: touched

9.26.08: NOA2

10.2.08: at NVC, letter says our application will be sent to Guayaquil in one week

10.9.08: spoke with consulate, they have our case

10.13.08: Doctor's appointment

10.20.08: Interview READ THE REVIEWS!

10.30.08: entry: Los Angeles

11.12.08: marriage

11.25.08: applied for Social Security card. READ THE vj GUIDE!

12.3.08: packet and letter for interview arrived at fiance's mail in Ecuador- for 10.20 interview! ha ha!

12.5.08: received SS card in mail

1.9.09: sent AOS/EAD/AP applications

2.10.09: Biometrics appt, Sacramento CA

3.15.09: AP recieved in mail

3.26.09: EAD recieved in mail

3.26.09: AOS interview, Sacramento, CA

4.09.09: Permanent Resident card received in mail

3.11.11: Mailed I-751 to CSC

3.14.11: I-751 received by CSC per USPS tracking

3.14.11: NOA date (received in mail on 3.19) one year extension

Ok, here is the stupid question of the day, and let me just preface this by saying that I could not be any more overwhelmed: what is the deadline to file for AOS?

There's not a hard rule for "deadline" but it's the best practice to file before the I-94 expires (90 days after entry to US.) Some wait much longer and don't have problems. A person is technically out of status once the I-94 expires, but the NOA1 for AOS shows proof that you are legally in the US awaiting AOS, so it's safest to get that quickly.

My husband is here on a K-1 visa, we got married after his arrival in the US, and there are 2 different expiration dates on his passport. The one on the visa itself says expiration date April 19, 2009, 6 mo after his interview.

That one means he had 6 months to use the K1 to enter the US. Now that he's used it, it's no longer valid nor is it's date.

there also is a stamp on the I-94 attached to his passport, and the expiration on that is Jan 28, 2009.

That date is his legal time in the US on a K1 visa. As you already know, that's your 90 days in which to marry. Once married, he can file for AOS and remain past that date as explained above.

I have been working on the forms but I'm not sure when they are due, and I'm beginning to worry about how long the vaccination/transcription portion is going to take. if anyone knows of a source for this answer that would be very helpful and appreciated. thanks in advance.

It sounds like you are doing everything just fine. Don't stress, just file as soon as you can and it will be okay.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

we married nov 23 and our pastor sent a request of the marriage certificate to the NORTH SAN DIEGO COUNTY thru mail and up to now we dont have the certificate on hand yet.

well, this paper kinda stopped me from doing the "life" i mean, work...since we cant file aos with the ead without the marriage certificate...i cant go to ssn for name change too. though i can get a drivers license BUT my single name on it, which im not comfortable doing cus i want all of my legal docs be changed into a married name...

am wondering if is anybody here who also sent the request for marriage certificate through mail in North SD and took so long before it reachd u...

how long?

------------------------

K-1

Jan 2008 - application was sent back to us due to mis sent to Chicago instead of California

Jan - sent application

Jun 27 - NOA2 by the mailbox!!! (found out that d 2nd touch was d approval..sweet!)

Jul 3 - NVC sent letter to petitioner

Jul 15 - confirmation letter received (tnk u my dear DHL)

Jul 17- 1st day - medical exam SLEC (on hold and waiting for it to be done successfully) July 31- PASSED!

Aug 28 - USEM interview date! (eto' na!) - PASSED - PINK SLIP ONLY!

Sept 26 - PAL departure - MNL-LAX

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Jan 30 2009 - AOS with EAD and AP submitted to Chi, IL

Feb 4 - check cleared

Feb 10 - AOS, EAD, AP NOA1 received!

Feb 19 - Biometric appointment letter received

Feb 28 - Biometrics schedule

Mar 28 - AP and interview invitation received by mail

Apr 2 - EAD card recieved

May 15 - Interview Schedule - APPROVED!

Jun 25 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED ON MAIL Dated June 16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We have our interview for adjustment of status coming up this month and I want to be as prepared as possible. I have read alot about what to bring to establish the relationship - lease, medical insurance info etc. What I'd like to know if the list of items on the letter is stuff that I have already turned in. Do I need to take those things again? Things such as I-864 with earnings information, letter from employer, birth certificates, all immigration-related documentation ever issued?

Thanks, Angie

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

My wife has a birth certificate that is an international birth certificate translated in many languanges including english with an official stamp from her city hall in deblin, poland. Can anyone offer assistance if the uscis would accept this copy instead of paying for another translated document. Your help is kindly appreciated so we can start the aos.

Thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
My wife has a birth certificate that is an international birth certificate translated in many languanges including english with an official stamp from her city hall in deblin, poland. Can anyone offer assistance if the uscis would accept this copy instead of paying for another translated document. Your help is kindly appreciated so we can start the aos.

Thanks

Dave

That's how my birth certificate (and our marriage certificate) looks (I had the original of the birth certificate replaced a couple of years ago, specifically because it is currently issued Romanian, with a translation of the information in English and French). I sent the application about 2 months ago. No word back that it is not good. I would say you don't need it translated.

11/17/08 : Application sent (I-130, I-131, I-485, I-765)

11/18/08 : Official receipt of documents stated on I-797C (Signature for receipt at USCIS was on 11/17/2008 at 10PM)

11/28/08 : NOA Received ( I-797C) for all 4 forms (forms issued on 11/26/2008)

12/18/2008: LUD on I-130, I-131, I-765

01/29/2009: Bio done

01/29, 30/2009: LUD on I485 and I765

2/10/2009: issued AP, valid 1 year for multiple entries.

2/23/2009: Got EAD card

3/8/2009: LUD on all applications. Shows approval of I131 and I765, still pending on I130, I485.

04/28/2009 at 9:30 AM: Interview. Told to wait 90 days for a resolution by mail.

05/01/2009: Card production ordered.

05/06/2009: Received approval NOAs for I130 and I485 (welcome notice, 10 years card). I130 still shows case received and pending.

06/18/2009: got the 10 years validity card. Process length: 213 days since sending the applications.

No RFE at all along the process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1. Home Contract copy; Rental copy; lease copy; or affidavit from person you are living with which explains the living arrangements.

2. Copies of utility bills; gas; light; electric; phone; cable; satellite

3. Joint bank accounts (must be in both names)

4. Credit/Debit Cards (under both names)

5. Insurances:

a. Auto Insurance

b. Life Insurance - submit copy of policy showing beneficiaries

c. Medical - submit copy of medical cards for each person

okay so i can get a joint bank account no problem. we actually have seperate ones right now. but we can get a joint one.

We cant get a credit card in both names because i dont have a SSN. and i cant get a cali ID without a SSN.

insurance = i cant get any kind of insurance or be added to my husbands medical insurance without a SSN. so how do i get around this? and is there a way of getting some kind of state ID without having an SSN?

we currently live with my husbands parents due to the economy being bad and only having 1 income we cant afford to move out until i get my work permit and we can both work and afford to move out.

I cant get a licence as i dont drive and didnt drive in the UK.

help??

Your questions might have been answered, but in case not...

I am unfamiliar with California law, but in my state, my spouse (who came via K1 visa) was able to get a state ID OR driver's learner's permit OR license by proving she had residency (i.e. brought a bank bill showing her name and our address, a joint banking account or individual bank account with your name and parents' address should suffice) and was here legally (I believe we took AOS NOA1 and her passport).

Again, I am not familiar with your husband's company or with California law. However, I would double check that because I was able to add my spouse to our health insurance without her receiving a SSN. I believe she left that part blank, no problems. California law tends to be progressive for employees rights so to me, it should be possible.

My suggestion is to stay as long as parents let you both. There is no shame in saving up some money then get into debt quick. My parents have been generous enough to let us live rent-free whihc is good since I have the only income and my wife recently started to study again to pursue her career ambitions. Make sure her bank account has your current address and it should not be difficult to add her to your account. Only question came up with parent's residence was when we applied for in-state tuition which we received a signed letter from my parents acknowledging that we were not paying rent to prove her residence. We will do the same for the AOS interview.

I cant get a licence as i dont drive and didnt drive in the UK

My spouse never drove in her country but came here, she studied online at DMV website for learner's permit test, she took the test at DMV and got her learner's permit with the aforementioned documents proving residency and legality (she did all of this without a SSN - again, California might be different).

Edited by Jack and Barbara

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks

Dave

That's how my birth certificate (and our marriage certificate) looks (I had the original of the birth certificate replaced a couple of years ago, specifically because it is currently issued Romanian, with a translation of the information in English and French). I sent the application about 2 months ago. No word back that it is not good. I would say you don't need it translated.

USCIS accepts a generic statement by a person who acknowledges being fluent in the language of question, so any other "official" translations are not needed.

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Levi received his NOA's for EAD, AOS, and AP yesterday dated January 22, 2009. We tried to check the USCIS website but couldn't find any info online. Is that the correct place to look for this?

January 19, 2008 sent I129f to CSC

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

June 9, 2008 NVC received

June 10, 2008 mailed to Vancouver!!!

June 24, 2008 Packet 3 received!!!

July 3, 2008 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver

July 11, 2008 Medical

July 15, 2008 Packet 4 received(interview notice)

August 27, 2008 1pm INTERVIEW!!!!! APPROVED!!!!

September 14, 2008 POE Pembina, North Dakota YAY!!!!

November 1, 2008 Wedding!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

January 10, 2009 AOS, EAD, AP sent to Chicago lockbox

January 12, 2009 Received

January 22, 2009 NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

January 30, 2009 AOS transfered to CSC

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 Biometrics

March 17, 2009 EAD card production ordered

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

March 18, 2009 AP received

March 25, 2009 EAD received (good for one year)

April 21, 2009 Email stating AOS approved!!!!!!

April 25, 2009 Card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Levi received his NOA's for EAD, AOS, and AP yesterday dated January 22, 2009. We tried to check the USCIS website but couldn't find any info online. Is that the correct place to look for this?

Yes but it could take several weeks to get into the system

YMMV

Timeline

Ok thanks. The letters at the beginning of his numbers weren't the same as the examples so wasn't sure I did it right.

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

July 11, 2008 Medical

AOS, EAD, AP

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok thanks. The letters at the beginning of his numbers weren't the same as the examples so wasn't sure I did it right.

MSCXXXXXXXXXX ?

YMMV

Timeline

MSCXXXXXXXXXX ?

Yep

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

July 11, 2008 Medical

AOS, EAD, AP

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.