476 posts in this topic

what are the "special process requirements" for texans mentioned in the first post? The link doesn't work.

Hi Guys we need some help here, we have a quick question: what is the deadline to file for AOS after entering and got married within 90 days with a K1 visa?

There is no deadline for applying.

My Art and Handmade Gifts

10. 10. 2008 - sent the petition

10. 16. 2008 - NOA1

04. 10. 2009 - sent letters to senators and asked for help

04. 17. 2009 - service request

04. 20. 2009 - filled senator's form which we got from him

04. 30. 2009 - another senator called us up

05. 04. 2009 - NOA2

05. 08. 2009 - NVC

06. 16. 2009 - interview (8 months since NOA1) passed

07. 03. 2009 - leaving for Texas. Go Rangers

07. 25. 2009 - officially married

08. 28. 2009 - AOS process started

09. 08. 2009 - NOA1

09. 30. 2009 - AP approved

10. 02. 2009 - I485 was forwarded to California, yay!

10. 13. 2009 - biometrics

10. 13. 2009 - EAD production was ordered

01. 04. 2010 - AOS approved

Done till Oct 2011!

11. 11. 2011 - I 751 filed

11. 16. 2011 - NOA1

12. 16. 2011 - Biometrics

04. 16. 2012 - ROC Approved

10. 10. 2012 - N 400 filed

10. 15. 2012 - NOA1

11. 15. 2012 - Biometrics

12. 04. 2012 - In line for the interview

01. 14. 2013 - Interview

01. 25. 2013 - Oath ceremony

• 4 weeks later...
what are the "special process requirements" for texans mentioned in the first post? The link doesn't work.

I was just gonna post about that... i'm curious as well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

FYI, Welcome to the United States is available at http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf now.

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Guys we need some help here, we have a quick question: what is the deadline to file for AOS after entering and got married within 90 days with a K1 visa?

There is no deadline for applying.

Dallas Office Rapid Adjustment (DORA) program was shut down a couple years ago...

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I need help plz.... I am going to apply for the aos.... now i want to travel to pak for like 2 months affter i get my temporary green card.... my question is .... will i submit the form I-131 along with the aos forms and docs or will i submit it when i intend to travel cuz on the form u have to mention the date of yr departure and also possible duration of stay in the country u r travelling to. by the way I came here on a k1 visa and i am from Pakistan. and thats where i wanna travel after my temporary green card.... please someone reply....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

got this article today from a mailing list that i subscribe to. hope someone finds it useful:

<h2 style="margin: 0pt 0pt 5px; font-size: 100%; font-family: Georgia; font-weight: bold;"> I-485 Interviews More Common : Non-Current Priority Dates Included </h2>

I-485 Interviews More Common : Non-Current Priority Dates Included

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has been issuing many interview notices for I-485 adjustment of status (AOS) applicants. The AOS applicants must appear at their local USCIS offices for detailed questioning regarding their I-485 applications. Many of the important concerns raised by the prospect of an AOS interview are addressed here for the benefit of our MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers.

Why is the USCIS Interviewing Me?

The USCIS is pre-adjudicating I-485 applications, reviewing the applications even if the priority date is not current. As part of this review, the USCIS may wish to ask questions and go over documents face to face. The purpose is to determine if a particular application is appropriate for approval, even if an approval has to wait because of the priority date.

What Triggers an AOS/I-485 Interview?

Only a small percentage of employment-based I-485 applications have personal interviews. There are many things that can lead the USCIS to require an interview. Some appear to be randomly selected. Certain types of applications always have interviews. These include cases with any criminal history, even if the matter does not prevent the approval of the I-485 AOS application. Cases with past immigration violations of a serious or extended nature are also often slated for interviews.

Interviews can be the result of questions regarding the validity of the job offer that forms the basis of the case. This may occur in cases involving labor certification substitutions (due to concerns about fraud). Questions about the validity of the job offer may be prompted in "future employment" situations when the beneficiary has not worked for the employer sponsoring the permanent residence (or "green card"), as well as in cases involving a beneficiary' s residence that is not within commuting distance of the stated job location. Interviews may also result from issues over a spousal relationship, particularly if the spouses do not live together.

Are Interviews Always Bad?

While the idea of an immigration interview creates anxiety for most people, it can be a positive experience, resulting in a case approval or recommendation for approval. The Murthy Law Firm has helped many clients through the interview process successfully. Of course, the interview is a time when the USCIS is eliciting information to decide on the validity of a case for approval. This should be taken seriously, and no one should assume a case will breeze through to approval. It is possible for things to go wrong due to flaws in filing the case, prior immigration violations, loss of the job, a criminal history, or other problems or complications. Denials may arise from training issues or other situations on the end of the specific USCIS examiner.

What is it Like?

Interviews at the local USCIS offices are conducted by adjudications officers. It is necessary to pass through a metal detector and screening process when entering the building. Use common sense with respect to the contents of bags and pockets. Recently, some USCIS offices have prohibited the carrying of camera phones.

Usually, the interview notice is handed to a designated person or placed in some type of tray or bin upon arrival. Make sure to bring this notice. Applicants remain in a waiting area until the notice is retrieved and the case is called. Appointment interviews sometimes run on schedule, but applicants should be prepared for the possibility of an extended wait.

An interview occurs in the adjudicator' s personal office. The applicant's complete (hard copy) file should be with the adjudicator for the interview. The applicant may be accompanied and represented by an attorney. The applicant will be asked to swear to tell the truth at the outset of the interview. It is very important to remember that, although the setting may seem casual, all statements are made under oath.

Be Prepared

Bring all the documents that the adjudicator may need to review. While the adjudicator should have the file with any documents previously submitted, s/he may ask to see originals of documents submitted earlier as copies. The specific documents that are needed vary by case. These should be organized, so they can be easily handed to the officer upon request.

The applicant should have a good understanding of her/his case, including any potential issues and problem areas. Given the length of time it takes most cases to reach the interview stage, problem areas should have been discussed with one's attorney during the course of the case. If this has not been done, or if new concerns have developed, it is important to sufficiently review the matter with an attorney in advance of the interview.

General Process

The general procedure for I-485 interviews is for the adjudicator to review the complete application and verify the information provided. The adjudicator will go through the questions and make certain red-pen indications that the information is correct or will make changes, as needed. S/he may have the applicant initial certain parts of the form. The applicant will be asked questions to determine her/his eligibility for adjustment of status. The exact questions depend upon case-specific details. Attorneys may assist their clients in preparing for the questions that should be expected in their particular cases.

Will I get a Decision that Day?

There are a number of possible outcomes following an interview. It is possible, if everything is in order and the priority date is current, for a case to be approved immediately. It is also possible that, even if everything is fine, the adjudicator will recommend approval, but the recommendation will need to be reviewed by a supervisor. This may happen if an adjudicator is new or is being reviewed, or when there is an overall office policy to double check cases.

Of course, many I-485 applicants do not have current priority dates at the time of the interviews. Thus, even if everything goes perfectly at the interview, the case cannot be approved. The adjudicator may indicate a recommendation for approval. The case is then supposed to remain pending until a visa number is available. The adjudicator may be unwilling to reveal the recommendation.

The adjudicator may request more documentation. S/he may print out a request for additional evidence to be submitted by a certain deadline. This will be handed to the applicant and/or accompanying attorney at the interview. These requests can range from matters that are fairly simple to the very complex and problematic. If the adjudicator identifies a serious problem, the USCIS may issue a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID). This normally is transmitted by mail, and has a short deadline. If the applicant cannot overcome the problem, the case will be denied.

If there is something wrong with the case that cannot be overcome by any evidence, then the adjudicator could issue a denial. The denial and NOID can be issued even if no visa number is available. Visa numbers are only needed for approvals.

Do I Need an Attorney?

There are some complex cases for which an attorney is absolutely needed. In other cases, it is more a matter of personal choice. Some individuals fear that bringing a lawyer may look strange or make the USCIS think there is a problem. This is not the case. Attorneys routinely appear at interviews for even very clean and straightforward cases.

A consultation with one's attorney should help in identifying concerns and making sure the right documents are at hand. There have been instances of adjudicators taking inappropriate actions. This creates problems in even the best cases. One such example was discussed in our March 6, 2009 NewsBrief, Improper Denials of I-485 on Priority Date Issue. It is impossible to anticipate every possible misunderstanding of law and procedure and it would be very difficult for an applicant to adequately address such a situation. After the fact, it may be possible to fix an inappropriate denial by filing a motion to reopen (MTR). This is not always fast and simple, however, and the long-term cost may exceed the initial savings of attending the interview without an attorney.

Conclusion

Preparation is the key to the interview process at the USCIS. Most cases have strengths and weaknesses. Given how long it has taken for many of these cases to reach the interview stage, there are often long histories and places where problems can arise. Applicants should be aware of possible problem areas in their cases in advance. If an issue is identified in advance through discussion with a knowledgeable, experienced immigration lawyer, the applicant sometimes may take steps to strengthen the case. It is advisable to seek proper legal guidance on each I-485 case. The Murthy Law Firm advises and represents individuals all across the United States on I-485 AOS interviews.

Copyright © 2009, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

My wife is applying for her Mom (she is in USA)

She will be sending the following documents, please let me know if we missed any...

I -130

I -485

I -131

I -864

G-325

I -693 ( this is done )

On I-485:

a) Part2: Which box should i select?

B) Part3: NonImmigrant Visa# ( Is this Control Number or the Red Number on the bottom of Visa page )

Please let me know. thanks in advance...

Thanks,

Raj

Consulate: Chennai, INDIA

08/26/09: I-130 Mailed(Fedex) to Chicago Lockbox for Parents

08/27/09: Received by USCIS

09/01/09: ND for both parents

09/02/09: Both Checks Cashed ($355 each)

09/21/09: I-130 approved ( LUD on USCIS online )

09/29/09: Received I-130 approved notices (NOA2)

NVC:

10/02/09: NVC Case #s assigned to both parents and emails regd.

10/06/09: Rcvd. emails for DS-3032 and AOS Fee ( Paid AOS Fee same night)

10/07/09: Emailed DS-3032 ( Did mail too via Fedex )

10/08/09: DS-3032 received by NVC

10/08/09: AOS Fee Status "PAID"

10/09/09: I-864 Affidavit of Support mailed via FEDEX

10/16/09: DS-3032 Entered in NVC System

10/19/09: IV Fee Bill Generated

10/20/09: Rcvd IV Fee Bill Email and Paid $400 for each parent

10/22/09: I -864 Entered into NVC System as per NVC Operator

10/22/09: IV Fee BILL Status Changed to PAID

10/23/09: Mailed DS-230 Documents Set to NVC

10/26/09: DS-230 Received by NVC signed by J.DESMOND

10/28/09: I -864 Accepted

10/29/09: Rcvd Checklist Email

10/30/09: AVR changed to " We received checklist response on 10/29/09"

11/18/09: LOGIN Failed in the morning...AVR message not changed yet...

11/18/09: Talked to Operator and it is under "FINAL REVIEW"

11/20/09: CASE COMPLETED on 11/19/09

12/02/09: Rcvd Emails for Interview on 01/08/2010

12/04/09: Medical Appt on 12/08/09 at Hyderabad

12/09/09: Medical Completed

01/08/10: INTERVIEW COMPLETED

01/12/2010: Rcvd Passports and sealed envelope.

05/20/2010: POE at DFW

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

i need help with CSPA AGE calculator. I applied for my son in november 2003 and he was approved in september 2007 he was 18 years old when I applied for him. at time i was permanemt resident but in april 2009 i become usc. do my son will be able to adjusted his status under the cspa law.

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi

everyone I need some help regarding AOS, We have not filled for AOS because of the cost and it coming up on a year and we have the money saved up now. But after my wife got here we inguired about how long we had to send in the AOS packet and no one could give us a the answer. we asked the local imagration office and my congressman and was told just do it as soon as you can. I also tried to look it up but could not find anything that gave us a deadline to file... untill recently (now that we have most of the money saved up) I had to redo the packet because the documents have been updated and when I inquired on the visajourney site I found out that it has to be completed within a 180 day period or you become inelagable!!! Now Im worried its going to cause us some big problems!!!

Does any one know of anyone taking this long to apply and know what happened,

does anyone have any suggestion or advice

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi

everyone I need some help regarding AOS, We have not filled for AOS because of the cost and it coming up on a year and we have the money saved up now. But after my wife got here we inguired about how long we had to send in the AOS packet and no one could give us a the answer. we asked the local imagration office and my congressman and was told just do it as soon as you can. I also tried to look it up but could not find anything that gave us a deadline to file... untill recently (now that we have most of the money saved up) I had to redo the packet because the documents have been updated and when I inquired on the visajourney site I found out that it has to be completed within a 180 day period or you become inelagable!!! Now Im worried its going to cause us some big problems!!!

Does any one know of anyone taking this long to apply and know what happened,

does anyone have any suggestion or advice

Thanks

You are not ineligible after 180 days. There is NO deadline for applying for AOS but there can be some difficulties. For instance, your wife should NOT leave the country (even with AP this can be risky). Your wife has been out of status for some time and there is a risk she could be deported by ICE if she's caught. Once she has applied for AOS then her status in the US is safe (until she finds out if she's approved or denied of course).

Some people have applied after years and had no problem, others HAVE. Long and the short of it is, apply, she is NOT ineligible.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline
You are not ineligible after 180 days. There is NO deadline for applying for AOS but there can be some difficulties. For instance, your wife should NOT leave the country (even with AP this can be risky). Your wife has been out of status for some time and there is a risk she could be deported by ICE if she's caught. Once she has applied for AOS then her status in the US is safe (until she finds out if she's approved or denied of course).

Some people have applied after years and had no problem, others HAVE. Long and the short of it is, apply, she is NOT ineligible.

thanks for your response

this is what I read and is what is confusing to me look at the bold and tell me what you think

2. Warning:

Travel outside of the United States may trigger the three and ten year bar to admission under section 212(a)(9)(B)(i) of the Act for adjustment applicants, but not registry applicants. This ground of inadmissibility is triggered if you were unlawfully present in the United States (i.e., you remained in the United States beyond the period of authorized stay) for more than 180 days before you applied for adjustment of status and you travel outside of the United States while your adjustment of status application is pending.

NOTE: Only unlawful presence that was accrued on or after April 1, 1997, counts towards the three and ten year bar under section 212(a)(9)(B)(i) of the Act.)

Timeline
thanks for your response

this is what I read and is what is confusing to me look at the bold and tell me what you think

2. Warning:

Travel outside of the United States may trigger the three and ten year bar to admission under section 212(a)(9)(B)(i) of the Act for adjustment applicants, but not registry applicants. This ground of inadmissibility is triggered if you were unlawfully present in the United States (i.e., you remained in the United States beyond the period of authorized stay) for more than 180 days before you applied for adjustment of status and you travel outside of the United States while your adjustment of status application is pending.

NOTE: Only unlawful presence that was accrued on or after April 1, 1997, counts towards the three and ten year bar under section 212(a)(9)(B)(i) of the Act.)

Yes, if you are concerned then the solution is DON"T LEAVE because for the bans to become effective you must depart the USA

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
thanks for your response

2. Warning:

I think inellagable is the wrong word to use because they use inadmissibility and I understand that refers to coming back into the US. and the thing that we are guilty of is remaining in the United States beyond the period of authorized stay) for more than 180 days. So I'm concerned that when I sen the I485 in they will see the fact that she has been here the above specified time. and I wounder how that will be delt with

Timeline
I think inellagable is the wrong word to use because they use inadmissibility and I understand that refers to coming back into the US. and the thing that we are guilty of is remaining in the United States beyond the period of authorized stay) for more than 180 days. So I'm concerned that when I sen the I485 in they will see the fact that she has been here the above specified time. and I wounder how that will be delt with

Overtays are forgiven as a "courtesy" to the USC spouse

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.