476 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
i am new on the AOS journey..i just want to know ...i will arrive in the U.S. on sept 26 and we'll get married on nov 23. in my case whose under K1, what should i do once i get to the u.s.?

can we file immediately for the AOS then? do i need to deal with the medical?

please enlighten me...is there an instruction like "TO DO'S once the K1 beneficiary gets to the U.S."?

Hello Shes,

I used VJ guide for my AOS and was done after 64 days..

Riza

hi riza! i checked the aos guide..tis a bit confusing ... i heard of meeting a so called civil surgeon?..when? and where? :wacko: starting means learning i guess..

------------------------

K-1

Jan 2008 - application was sent back to us due to mis sent to Chicago instead of California

Jan - sent application

Jun 27 - NOA2 by the mailbox!!! (found out that d 2nd touch was d approval..sweet!)

Jul 3 - NVC sent letter to petitioner

Jul 15 - confirmation letter received (tnk u my dear DHL)

Jul 17- 1st day - medical exam SLEC (on hold and waiting for it to be done successfully) July 31- PASSED!

Aug 28 - USEM interview date! (eto' na!) - PASSED - PINK SLIP ONLY!

Sept 26 - PAL departure - MNL-LAX

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Jan 30 2009 - AOS with EAD and AP submitted to Chi, IL

Feb 4 - check cleared

Feb 10 - AOS, EAD, AP NOA1 received!

Feb 19 - Biometric appointment letter received

Feb 28 - Biometrics schedule

Mar 28 - AP and interview invitation received by mail

Apr 2 - EAD card recieved

May 15 - Interview Schedule - APPROVED!

Jun 25 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED ON MAIL Dated June 16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
i am new on the AOS journey..i just want to know ...i will arrive in the U.S. on sept 26 and we'll get married on nov 23. in my case whose under K1, what should i do once i get to the u.s.?

can we file immediately for the AOS then? do i need to deal with the medical?

please enlighten me...is there an instruction like "TO DO'S once the K1 beneficiary gets to the U.S."?

You apply for AOS after your marriage occurs. A medical is necessary and is included with your AOS package. you can find names of approved doctors from the immigration website. We chose to use a lawyer for the simple fact that the stress was alot less and it cost us approx. 1500.00 for his fees and the filing fees. Though now the cost is much higher instead of 350 its 1010 dollars for the filng fee. The 1010 dollars does not cover the cost of the medical, but is just the filing fee for AOS. By the time we were done and my two year conditional status was finally adjusted to full permanent resident we had spent approximately $3,000.00. The removal of conditonal status was the easiest part, and we did not use the services of a lawyer and no interview was asked of us. (i guess we got lucky, but also buying a house together helped I'm sure....)

I know I have been in the position that everyone who is new to the process is in, but after 2 years of dealing with INS I have found that the fear factor that most have dealing with them is largely created by couples themselves. (been there, done that) Just follow the advice on this sight from others who have been there and done that and have the patience of JOB. As long as your documents are accurate and complete, it should be a relatively painless process.

Filed: Timeline

Hello! Quick question here...

A friend of mine from Venezuela has been to the US for 2 years with a student visa (she goes to college here) but she got married 2 weeks ago with an American citizen. They asked me how I have been doing with my AOS. My case is very different since I arrived with a K-1 visa. So I don't know what to answer to her, and they don't have a clue about where to start. Which should be the first steps for them to take?

Thanks!!!

I just finished applying for permanent residency by AOS after I came to the United States to visit and got married while here. The first thing my husband and I did was consult a lawyer, and because I was legally in the country (as I assume your friend is) but as a visitor in my case, he said that I could just adjust my status and not worry about applying via the k3 process. He instructed me to make sure that I did NOT leave the country for ANY reason, or I would be denied re entry before my petition was completed (unless I qualified for advanced parole, but he did not recommend applying for it unless for a life or death reason)

The AOS procedure is the same as the one the you went through, except she doesn't need to apply for a K3. Some say it takes less time to apply for the K3, but we filed our application on February 26, 2006 and I just completed my interview and was approved on June 6, 2006.

Now, I'm not sure if I got anywhere faster because I hired a lawyer to file the paperwork, but at least we didn't need to worry that paperwork would be incorrect. My lawyer was excellent, and the cost to have him to the paperwork was only 750.00, not including the filing fees of about 765.00

If your friend wants a free consulation with him, he will personally talk with them and not charge for the initial discussion, whether or not they hire his services.

If interested, his website is this....http://www.advancedimmigration.com/ He was very helpful, and answered all of our questions even though we hadn't made any decisions about hiring him. He also allows for a payment plan as well.

Hope this helps

:)

A quick question on this one: Part of the AOS package, did you have to file I-130?

Thanks

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

is there some kind of a link similar to.... "FOR K1 FILERS, AFTER YOU GET MARRIED..HERES WHAT TO DO NEXT"..

somthing like that?... im really clueless where to start

------------------------

K-1

Jan 2008 - application was sent back to us due to mis sent to Chicago instead of California

Jan - sent application

Jun 27 - NOA2 by the mailbox!!! (found out that d 2nd touch was d approval..sweet!)

Jul 3 - NVC sent letter to petitioner

Jul 15 - confirmation letter received (tnk u my dear DHL)

Jul 17- 1st day - medical exam SLEC (on hold and waiting for it to be done successfully) July 31- PASSED!

Aug 28 - USEM interview date! (eto' na!) - PASSED - PINK SLIP ONLY!

Sept 26 - PAL departure - MNL-LAX

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Jan 30 2009 - AOS with EAD and AP submitted to Chi, IL

Feb 4 - check cleared

Feb 10 - AOS, EAD, AP NOA1 received!

Feb 19 - Biometric appointment letter received

Feb 28 - Biometrics schedule

Mar 28 - AP and interview invitation received by mail

Apr 2 - EAD card recieved

May 15 - Interview Schedule - APPROVED!

Jun 25 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED ON MAIL Dated June 16

is there some kind of a link similar to.... "FOR K1 FILERS, AFTER YOU GET MARRIED..HERES WHAT TO DO NEXT"..

somthing like that?... im really clueless where to start

I'm glad I'm not the only confused person. :wacko:

I've been trying to read & read into it...but I can't get my head around it for some reason!

My fiance comes to the U.S. on Sept 26 too. :)

Filed: Timeline
This general guides apply to people who are required to file for Adjustment of Status once they enter the US to maintain their legal status. This applies to certain non-immigrant visa holders with a K1, K3, and others. Once you file you will have several options available to track your case.

Review the following:

Here are two documents that describe your rights and responsibilities as a Legal US Permanent Resident:Helpful Tips:

Tip #1 (updated by member: Joanna&Bobby):

When you apply to adjust status in the States, assuming you as a K-1 holder apply within one year of the original medical, you need I-693.The instructions to form I-693 say: What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and had a medical exam overseas?

If you were admitted as a:

A.K-1 fiancé(e), or K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e), or as a

B.K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S citizen

C.You received a medical examination prior to admission, then

a.You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status,is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination

b.You will, however, be required to complete Part 1,information about you,and submit the vaccination secton of Part 2 with your adjustment of status application. A designated civil surgeon must complete the vaccination section and Part 5 the Civil Surgeon’s Certification

Here's where it gets tricky! Some people have submitted a DS-3025 (obtained overseas at your medical documenting your vaccinations) with their AOS package and have NOT received RFE's. Some HAVE. If you want to be absolutely safe in terms of your medical documentation as a K-1 adjusting status, you should take your DS-3025 to a USCIS-certified civil surgeon and ask them to transfer the information from your DS-3025 to an I-693. They should do this for a nominal charge. If they try to tell you you need a full medical examination, DO NOT LISTEN. You ONLY need the vaccination part. The following memo from the USCIS documents that this completed form will remain valid beyond one year when submitted with most Adjustment of Status applications.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/I693MedExt011106.pdf

The civil surgeon should give you an I-693 documenting the fact that your vaccinations are complete (either they were completed when you had your medical or you had them completed stateside). You should submit this with your AOS package.

Tip #2

Our interviewing officer gave us a list of documents needed to prove common residence, I thought it would be handy and maybe it can be pinned. I've typed it out verbatim.

TYPES OF DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO PROVE COMMON RESIDENCE

(The most important requirement of common residnce proof is that both names of husband and wife must be on these documents listed below, i.e. "joint accounts")

1. Home Contract copy; Rental copy; lease copy; or affidavit from person you are living with which explains the living arrangements.

2. Copies of utility bills; gas; light; electric; phone; cable; satellite

3. Joint bank accounts (must be in both names)

4. Credit/Debit Cards (under both names)

5. Insurances:

a. Auto Insurance

b. Life Insurance - submit copy of policy showing beneficiaries

c. Medical - submit copy of medical cards for each person

6. Photos;

a. When you were dating/courtship period (3 each)

b. Marriage photos (3 each)

c. Birthdays, anniversaries; Christmas; holidays; family gatherings, vacation trips; etc...... (3 each)

7. Babies - Bring copies of birth certificates

8. Major Purchases: New Car; Television; Refrigerator; stove; household appliances, etc.

9. Driver's License (both must have same address to be any good).

10. Military Identification

11. Submit a one page letter describing how you met; how long you dated; or how long your lived together before getting married.

(Note: Ensure you bring copies of these documents; not originals)

Tip #3 (from Meauxna)

In the mad visa chase, we often overlook the end goal, Permanent Resident status. This is what allows a non-USC to live, work and travel freely in/out of the US indefinitely. Many times, people don't know what their rights and responsibilities are as PRs, or what documents they'll hold to show that status.

I highly recommend the following links for the foreign AND US partners.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

Rules about what you can and can't do as a PR.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/B4.pdf

How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage?

If you've been married for less than 2 years when you become a PR.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1____

Welcome to the United States:

A Guide for New Immigrants

OK, seems a bit hokey, especially since you've got a USC partner to show you the ropes, but take a look! There are things in there that I never even considered!

(removed from USCIS website)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are getting ready to send in our AOS & EAD tomorrow and I see that both forms require 2 passport photos. Does this mean 2 for the I485 & 2 for the I 765? Or does it mean 2 photos period? Please if anyone knows the answer respond today because we plan to send off the packet tomorrow. Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
We are getting ready to send in our AOS & EAD tomorrow and I see that both forms require 2 passport photos. Does this mean 2 for the I485 & 2 for the I 765? Or does it mean 2 photos period? Please if anyone knows the answer respond today because we plan to send off the packet tomorrow. Thanks!

Treat each form individually. So 2 passport photos for each, a total 4 passport photos. Good luck :thumbs:

USflag.gifr.gifi.gifc.gifh.gifo.gifphilippine_flag.gif

AOS & EAD TIMELINE:

July 21, 2008---(ORIGINAL) NOA1 for AOS & EAD

July 29, 2008---"WALK-IN" BIOMETRICS DONE (AOS & EAD-1)

Oct 14, 2008---EAD1 CARD ARRIVES! Approval date is Oct. 2, 2008

Dec 10, 2008---INTERVIEW DAY! APPROVED!!!

Dec 17, 2008---WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED

Jan 9, 2009---CARD RECEIVED FINALLY! Approval date 12-10-08..expires on 12-10-10

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Sept 10,2010---REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

CITIZENSHIP

Sept 10,2011---Application for citizenship

.png

Timeline

Treat each form individually. So 2 passport photos for each, a total 4 passport photos. Good luck :thumbs:

On this topic....Is it passport photos of both people or just the "alien"?

Just the "alien"

I know we arent supposed to ask questions here but my question is if the Letter of Employment is needed? And if so does it HAVE to be signed? I have one but not signed however it does list name of employee aswell as the name of the company and hire date also specifying full time employee. Does not have the annual salary however I have paystubs for about 4-5 months back. I asked in my own topic however no one has answered so I am trying to put it in another area in hopes of getting a response since I need one ASAP since I am gathering all of my paperwork as I type this out.

Letter of Employment needs to be signed and should include date of entry, years service amount earned etc

AOS & EAD TIMELINE:

Jan 9, 2009---CARD RECEIVED FINALLY! Approval date 12-10-08..expires on 12-10-10

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

CITIZENSHIP

.png

Timeline
AOS and EAD are being sent together.....So I just send in a money order of 1010$ right?

Yes :thumbs:

AOS & EAD TIMELINE:

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

CITIZENSHIP

.png

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello! I'm a newbie here and got so much questions to ask. Anybody can answer and any help (information) will be very much appreciated.

I married a US citizen earlier this year while I was on a J1 visa. I met my husband couple of months after I came here for a teaching job and started dating another 10 months after we met. I sent the I-130 packet to Chicago in April and was received on April 15th. I got my NOA a week after. My case is in Vermont and I hate to say but they are extremely slow. My explanation as to why I-130 alone is that because I have a 2 yr HRR with my J1 visa. I was able to get a No Objection Statement from my country and so far, the J1 waiver is doing pretty good. I know that J1 visa holders when subject to 2 yr HRR cannot apply for adjustment until we get our J1 waiver so I just filed the I-130 and worked on my J1 waiver. I am just waiting for a couple of weeks - I do not have government funding so there is a pretty good chance that they'll grant me the waiver.

Anyway, while I am anticipating for the waiver, I am trying to get my stuff together for the I-485, I-765 and I-131 application. Right now, I got all the printed instructions and forms ready for filing but I got few questions here;

1. I am planning to file I-485, I-765 and I-131 concurrently - DOES THIS MEAN THAT I NEED TO PAPER-FILE ALL OF THEM, PLACE THEM INSIDE THE SAME ENVELOPE AND SEND THEM TO THE CHICAGO LOCKBOX? --- I am trying to save money here - because I know I do not need to pay for the I-765 and I-131 if I file them with the I-485.

2. If I choose to paper-file the I-485 and e-file I-765 and I-131, will I pay separately? (that is, $1050 for the I-485, $340 for the I-765 and about $300 for the I-131 --- please do correct me if the figures were all wrong)

3. Does E-filing the I-765 and I-131 really help in terms of the processing times? I am hoping to get my EAD the soonest and the fastest possible. I really do not care about the I-131, so I can leave I-131 in the background, maybe paper-file it.

4. If I choose to paper-file the I-485 and e-file I-765 and I-131, will USCIS consider this as concurrently filing?

5. When is the best time to get my medical/physical examination? ---- Some people said right when I send my I-485 application but I'm afraid that because of the backlog (especially in Vermont), my medical and physical examination is up to no good once they get their hands on it (maybe a year from now).

6. If I paper-file all of them, will they send my I-765 case to the same service center where my I-130 (Vermont Slow Center) was sent? ----- I live in Atlanta and there is a service center here ---- Now, I also heard that people who e-filed their I-765 had their case sent to National Benefits Center (which I think is a lot faster since they only take very few paperwork). Is this true?

My husband and I were discussing all these things for days and days now. I try not to call the USCIS because of the waiting time on the phone and I do not have the luxury of time to do that. Please help. Thanks!

Lianne

Timeline
AOS and EAD are being sent together.....So I just send in a money order of 1010$ right?

Yes :thumbs:

Thanks.....We were only able to get a cashiers check since money order could not be over 1,000.....I hope this is ok. :unsure:

As long as it is $1010..

AOS & EAD TIMELINE:

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

CITIZENSHIP

.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am processing my wife's paperwork now and I have all the documents but I am sure I will have a few questions...First Where is the nonimagrant visa number?? is that the red number on the lower right hand corner of the visa itself?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.