EMR

what's the maximum stay outside US as GC holder?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hello..what's the maximum stay of a GC holder outside US without any issue or problem at the POE when ask by immigration officer when he comes back here? thanks ..

six months. after 6 months they can give you a headache and a hard time, and less

than a year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

hello..what's the maximum stay of a GC holder outside US without any issue or problem at the POE when ask by immigration officer when he comes back here? thanks ..

It isn't quite as simple as a straight time limit. It is if the CBP officer considers you have abandoned your status. However even if they do they cannot refuse you entry only an immigration judge can give a ruling on abandonment. So if they consider that to be the case it will eventually go to a court to be determined.

The general accepted guideline is up to 6 months out no problem. 6 - 12 months you may or may not have some issue. Over 12 months get reentry permit, or whatever the thing is called before you leave. That will give you up to 24 months.

If you stayed out longer than 24 months they still have to prove you have abandoned your status. Remember you are a legal permanent resident until an immigration judge says you are not, a CBP officer cannot make that determination.

Edited by Lansbury

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok I found this:

PRECAUTIONS

Consequently, it is very important that other precautions, such as the following, be taken:

1. OBTAIN A REENTRY PERMIT

If you will be leaving the U.S. for more than one year, but less than two years, it is advisable to obtain a reentry permit prior to leaving the U.S.

Note that if you continue to request a number of reentry permits (one after the other) the I.N.S. is likely to deny your application.

2. FILE TAX RETURNS

ALWAYS FILE A U.S. RESIDENT TAX RETURN, AS WELL AS ANY OTHER APPLICABLE STATE, CITY, OR LOCAL TAXES.

Be sure to file resident tax returns, e.g., 1040, and not a non-resident tax return!

Note that this does not necessarily mean that you must actually pay U.S. income taxes, it only means that you must file a resident tax return and declare your worldwide income on that return, even if most of this income is exempt from taxation. Consult a tax adviser where applicable.

Keep copies of all tax returns you have filed as a resident, and BRING THESE COPIES WITH YOU WHEN ENTERING THE UNITED STATES.

3. MAINTAIN A U.S. ADDRESS:

Maintain a U.S. Address, even if the address is the home of a friend or relative.

If possible, do not use "in care of" for your address.

DO NOT have a U.S. address which is a resort or hotel.

4. MAINTAIN U.S. BANK ACCOUNTS

You should leave open and continue to use U.S. Bank accounts.

For example, some employers, when assigning an employee overseas, will continue to pay the employee in U.S. dollars, depositing the amount directly into the employee's U.S. account.

5. MAINTAIN U.S. DRIVER'S LICENSE:

You should continue to RENEW your U.S. Driver's license.

Be sure that the address on your license is the same as that recorded on any immigration documents.

Carry your driver's license when entering the U.S.

6. MAINTAIN U.S. CREDIT CARD ACCOUNTS

7. OWNERSHIP OF U.S. PROPERTY

If possible, continue ownership of U.S. property, e.g., houses, condominiums, businesses, automobiles, etc.

For example, a person assigned abroad may want to rent, rather than sell, his or her U.S. residence.

8. DOCUMENT REASONS FOR LONG STAYS ABROAD

EMPLOYMENT CONTRACTS: Before leaving the U.S. on long assignments abroad, it is advisable to obtain a written employment contract, or letter, from your employer.

The contract or letter should specify the terms and length of employment.

If the employment will lead to a transfer back to the U.S., or to a U.S. based affiliate of the foreign employer, the contract or statement should include this fact.

9. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

Be sure to maintain your social security card, and carry it with you on your return to the U.S.

If you have not yet done so, be sure to apply for the type of social security card which permits you to work in the U.S.

10. SELECTIVE SERVICE

For persons of applicable age, be sure to register with selective service.

11. KEEP YOUR GREEN CARD VALID:

Be sure to renew your green card when it expires.

Children who reach the age of fourteen (14) must file an application to replace their green card unless the prior card will expire before they reach age 16.

12. THINGS TO AVOID (which may unintentionally create the appearance of having abandoned the INTENTION of continuing to reside permanently in the United States):

DO NOT return to the U.S. using any form of non-immigrant visa. For example, if you stay outside the U.S. for longer than one year, without having obtained a reentry permit, do NOT return to the U.S. on a tourist visa; instead, apply to the U.S. consulate for a Special Immigrant Visa.

DO NOT arrive via a chartered air carrier where nearly all passengers are nonimmigrant.

DO NOT return to the U.S. with a spouse and or children who are neither citizens nor green card holders, especially if they will be in the U.S. only a short time.

DO NOT arrive at a port of entry functioning as a gateway to a resort area.

DO NOT enter the U.S. on a round-trip ticket which terminates outside the U.S.

---------------------

NOTE: That even if you take all of the above precautions, there is NO GUARANTEE that the U.S. immigration inspector will not exclude you from the U.S. for other reasons, e.g., such as for committing a crime involving moral turpitude. The above information is intended solely as general reference information. It is not legal advice. Consultation with an immigration attorney is recommended. In addition, please note that Immigration Laws frequently change.

It may be old they use INS instead USICS.

Edited by Pegworth

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It's not cut and dried. Google "Maintaining Permanent residence USA" and read what USCIS says about it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Travel Limitations For U.S. Citizens And Green Card Holders

November 14, 2010 | By KNews | Filed Under News

U.S. Immigration TALK

As the holiday season approaches and many people travel back to their home country, it is important to understand travel limitations. Many lawful permanent residents (green card holders) and naturalised U.S. citizens are not aware of the consequences of traveling abroad for a long period of time. This article will address some common questions associated with traveling outside the U.S.

Gail S. Seeram, LL.M, J.D., BBA

(1) What is the maximum time a lawful permanent resident (LPR) or green card holder can stay outside the U.S.?

Answers: (a) If a LPR stays outside of the U.S. for more than 180 days, s/he must apply for readmission to the U.S. Also, any one trip outside of the U.S. for more than 180 days will also break the “continuously residency” requirement to become a naturalized U.S. citizen.

(b) If an LPR stays outside of the U.S. for more than one year and s/he is returning to his or her permanent residence in the United States, s/he usually must have a re-entry documentation from USCIS or an immigrant visa from the Department of State. Thereby, a LPR who stays outside the U.S. for more than one year on any one trip is considered to have abandoned their lawful permanent residency and would have to reapply for an immigrant visa or apply at the U.S. Consulate abroad for a Special Immigrant Returning Resident Visa (SB-1).

© In conclusion, any trip taken by a LPR outside the U.S. should be for less than six months

This is more current.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Most tourist visas are 90 days - just a fyi - staying longer than that might rise suspicion. Officially though, with the GC you can stay out for 6 months.

Edited by Futura Sra Gomez

event.png

One look

One smile

One touch

One embrace

One kiss

One love

Two people

Two minds

Two souls

Two destinies

One road

One journey

One ending

Together

358272338v5_240x240_Front.jpg20821470_125x125.png

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3f443a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=3f443a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

It says here that you can leave for up to a year without obtaining a reentry permit. So, "officially" it is ONE YEAR, not six months. It also says that visits outside of the US for even less than a year can be considered for abandonment of status (I read this is as for people who have continued prolonged absences from the US, not a one-time thing). I don't trust these lawyer blogs who talk about how more than one year needs a reentry permit (which is true) and then conclude that therefore 6 months is max...

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

If you only have a conditional GC be very cautious since you will have to show that you have maintained a residence inside the US for that conditional period.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

although you can be out of the US for one year as a GC holder, i wouldn't advise on pushing it to the limit. when i was a GC holder, i used to go back home to the Philippines months at a time. under 6 months, when i go through my POE, they just ask if i had a good vacation. but when i did stay up to 6 months, they asked a few more questions about why i was out of the country for that long.

also, when i went to college back home, i had a re-entry permit since i was going to be out of the country more than a year. did not have any problems coming back into the US. of course, i had report cards and school transcripts with me just in case they do ask me for any documentations. you have to have a very good reason for staying out of the country for a year so that CBP does not grill you.

I-130 for wife and kids

---------------------------------------------

02/11/2010: I-130 as an LPR mailed certified

02/25/2010: Recvd letters-I-130s was recvd

06/17/2010: Oathtaking - Became a US Citizen

06/21/2010: Called USCIS to let them know to update my I-130 from an LPR petition to a USC petition.

06/25/2010: Case for both sons Touched

06/28/2010: Petition updated to a USC petition (Oldest son)

06/30/2010: Petition updated to a USC petition (Wife & youngest son)

07/19/2010: G-325A returned. Incomplete.

07/30/2010: Completed G-325A mailed back via certified mail

08/04/2010: Certified mail delivered at Laguna Niguel

08/07/2010: Touched - UCSIC received reply to RFE

08/13/2010: I-130 APPROVED!!! (recvd email update)

NVC JOURNEY

08/20/2010: NVC recvd I-130 and case number assigned

09/01/2010: Recvd AOS fee bill & DS-3032 via email

09/02/2010: Paid AOS fee & DS-3032 sent back via email

09/13/2010: AOS packet mailed via UPS

09/15/2010: AOS signed for by NVC. IV fee for wife & kids ready.

10/07/2010: Per AVR/NVC - Need to correct I864W for kids

10/11/2010: DS-230 packet & corrected I-864W sent to NVC via UPS

10/15/2010: Recvd and signed for by NVC

11/02/2010: NVC online fee payment portal SIF. NVC adviced that final stages of review.

11/03/2010: AVR - APPLICATION COMPLETED!!

11/10/2010: Medical...1st day at St. Luke's

11/12/2010: Pick up results for Medical - PASSED!

11/16/2010: USEM interview scheduled on 12/14/10

12/14/2010: VISAS APPROVED!!!!

12/20/2010: Visas received

02/22/2011: Cali bound

It sounds like an anecdotal consensus: If you are out of the US for 6 months or less on a conditional GC, you should be just fine. Just be sure that you can demonstrate that you are integrating into mainstream US society and "laying down roots", and have these evidences in 2 years, come ROC time.

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

It isn't quite as simple as a straight time limit. It is if the CBP officer considers you have abandoned your status. However even if they do they cannot refuse you entry only an immigration judge can give a ruling on abandonment. So if they consider that to be the case it will eventually go to a court to be determined.

The general accepted guideline is up to 6 months out no problem. 6 - 12 months you may or may not have some issue. Over 12 months get reentry permit, or whatever the thing is called before you leave. That will give you up to 24 months.

If you stayed out longer than 24 months they still have to prove you have abandoned your status. Remember you are a legal permanent resident until an immigration judge says you are not, a CBP officer cannot make that determination.

:thumbs:

http://www.uscis.gov...000082ca60aRCRD

It says here that you can leave for up to a year without obtaining a reentry permit. So, "officially" it is ONE YEAR, not six months. It also says that visits outside of the US for even less than a year can be considered for abandonment of status (I read this is as for people who have continued prolonged absences from the US, not a one-time thing). I don't trust these lawyer blogs who talk about how more than one year needs a reentry permit (which is true) and then conclude that therefore 6 months is max...

:thumbs:

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

10/11/2011 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/13/2011 - Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

10/17/2011 - Email received with Receipt#, Routed to CSC

10/18/2011 - Cleared the checks $420*2

10/21/2011 - Received NOA1

03/30/2012 - Received NOA2

NVC

04/19/2012 - NVC received

05/01/2012 - Case# generated

05/02/2012 - DS-3032 COA emailed

05/02/2012 - I-864 AOS Fee $88 paid

05/05/2012 - I-864 AOS package mailed to NVC

05/07/2012 - I-864 AOS package received by NVC

05/07/2012 - DS-3032 COA accepted

05/08/2012 - DS-230 IV Fee $230*2 paid

05/09/2012 - DS-230 IV package mailed to NVC

05/11/2012 - DS-230 IV package received by NVC

05/17/2012 - Case Completed

Consulate

07/02/2012 - VFS visit in Cochin

07/04/2012 - Medical in Chennai

07/12/2012 - Interview in Mumbai - Success!

09/08/2012 - POE at JFK, NY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

12 months without a re-entry permit.

After 6 months they can assess you for "abandoning residency".

Another factor to consider. Naturalisation.

- If you are out for more than 6 months your naturalisation clock is paused. So while you might be a GC holder for 3 years, you would need to wait until 3 years and 6 months before you can naturalise.

- If you are out more than 12 months, your clock is reset back to 0. So once you're back in the US you need to stay there for 3 years (again) until you can naturalise.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a question. What if my hubby enters US and looks for a job for a while and cannot find one, then goes back to canada for a month or so to work? Can he still work in Canada while he is a Permanent Resident here, or is that frowned upon?

USCIS

07/06/10: Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox

07/07/10: Package Received

07/17/10: NOA1

07/26/10: Touched

11/03/10: Case Transferred to TSC

11/30/10: Touched! FINALLY

12/01/10: Touched, AGAIN!

12/02/10: Touched, YET AGAIN!

12/03/10: TOUCHED!

02/14/11:I-130 Approved Happy Valentines Day!

Case was approved in 212 days

NVC

02/18/11: Received NVC Case number

02/20/11: Optin email sent

02/22/11:Submitted DS-261 (Choice of Agent)

02/23/11: AOS invoiced and paid

02/25/11: AOS I-864 Emailed to NVC

03/02/11: IV Bill generated & Paid!

03/08/11: Optin Accepted

03/17/11: DS-260 completed

03/24/11: DS-260 Supporting Documents emailed

03/24/11: Emailed my I-864 AGAIN because NVC is saying they did not receive it.

04/08/11: NVC robot says they are "Awaiting my Biographic Data" which I assume means they reviewed my I-864

04/11/11: NVC is saying I am missing info, that I did not send in all my documents.

04.14.11: NVC is saying i never emailed anything. I contacted my senate office, who is getting things handled for me at NVC.

05.12.11: OMG SIF!

07.11.11-INTERVIEW DATE!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.