John245

Second Fiance Visa Question

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Macedonia
Timeline

I have a question if anyone can answer it...

I had a fiance visa for the first time with a girlfriend that came to the US and lived with me for about 2 years and we were married there, she got her green card and after that we didnt get along and she did not want to live there, we divorced and she went back to the country and has not gone back to the US since and does not even plan to and I don't think she can anymore since the green card is probably not valid anymore.

That was around 3 years ago. Now I have another girlfriend from the same country and I would like to know whether I could again apply for a fiance visa for her..is this possible? Would I have any problems?

Also, I do not want her to find out that I was married to the first one. Will I have to answer any questions to Immigration about the first time throughout the process?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You have to provide divorce documentation. Yes she has to know they will likely ask her at the interview about previous marriages and if she knows about them. I was asked at my interview if i knew my husband was previously married i had to provide the divorce documents to the interviewer in person and had to answer questions about it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It will be on the documents in your file and will likely be discussed at the interview. Especially a K1 interview.

You won't be a part of the interview. They will ask your fiancee directly about your prior marriage.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Also, I do not want her to find out that I was married to the first one. Will I have to answer any questions to Immigration about the first time throughout the process?

Thanks in advance.

That is a curious comment, why would you want to hide that information?

And yes Immigration and the Consular with be concerned and probably request an explanation due to multiple petitions for multiple brides, this is what is called a "red flag" issue.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The ladies are from Macedonia?

No 2 will definitely need to know about No 1

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

You NEED to disclose the previous marriage. You will not be asked any questions about the previous marriage but you can almost bank on that she will. Do you want her to find out about your previous marriage thourgh a consular offical or by you?

She will find out, you have to decie HOW she finds out

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I had a fiance visa for the first time with a girlfriend that came to the US and lived with me for about 2 years and we were married there, she got her green card and after that we didnt get along and she did not want to live there, we divorced and she went back to the country and has not gone back to the US since and does not even plan to and I don't think she can anymore since the green card is probably not valid anymore.

That was around 3 years ago. Now I have another girlfriend from the same country and I would like to know whether I could again apply for a fiance visa for her..is this possible? Would I have any problems?

Thanks in advance.

If it has been MORE than two years since your last visa was approved, yes, no problem.

You MUST list ALL your previous marriages and divorces on the I-129f and you must be divorced, free to marry, to file. I would not even consider going into this without telling her ALL about your former wife. It is VERY likely the consulate at the interview will ask her "So what do you think about being his second wife from Macedonia?" or some such. It would NOT be good if that was the first she heard of it.

I PROMISE you, you WILL NOT get through this process without her finding out. Between the petition, the visa interview or the AOS SOMEONE is going to bring it up. YOU should be the one to tell her.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just from her perspective - wouldn't she rather find out about your divorce/prior marriage from you beforehand rather than a CO at the interview? Never mind the negative impact on the visa, but think about how she will feel.

I'm not judging, because it's not my place to judge..... but I personally would rather know about a prior marriage or something like that from my fiance, NOT from someone else. I would feel lied to and deceived.

As most people have pointed out, she WILL find out. Not if, but when. Let her know your ex doesn't mean anything to you anymore and you love your fiancee, and she is the most important woman in your life, but you wanted to tell her because it's the right thing to do.

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Timeline

I don't think anyone here has mentioned that if she finds out at the consular interview that you were married, they could theoretically deny her visa because of it. Generally, bonafied couples reveal this kind of information to each other. If I found out at the interview that my fiance had a previous marriage he had been hiding from me, I'd walk out the interview and refuse to marry him. That's just me, but you should definitely disclose your previous marriage to her.

Edited by JlovesA

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: Country: Macedonia
Timeline

I do have my reasons for that, because it was kind of a thing that no one knew about. I really was not ready for something like that at the time but it happened and it was a mistake.

How about if I were to marry in Macedonia and then get a spouse visa, a K-3 is it? What are the procedures for this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I do have my reasons for that, because it was kind of a thing that no one knew about. I really was not ready for something like that at the time but it happened and it was a mistake.

How about if I were to marry in Macedonia and then get a spouse visa, a K-3 is it? What are the procedures for this?

Same. You WILL NOT get away with the immigration process without her finding out. By whatever means, K-1, K-3, CR-1 she MUSt have an interview in her country and they WILL ask her about your previous marriage to a Macedonian. They may not ask about a previous marriage to an American, but to a Mecedonian or other foreigner, yes, definitely. For two reasons...

1. She needs to know you have done this before and accept that.

2. They need to see her reaction. If it is a big surprise they are going to question your sincerity and deny the visa.

I DO NOT suggest you try for a spousal visa without telling her. It is every bit as likely to be denied or have "problems" and then you will still be legally married. Give her the chance to say "no" before she gets married. If it is a deal breaker you BOTH need to know NOW before you go and get married.

My suggestion is either tell her now, or end the relationship now.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't think anyone here has mentioned that if she finds out at the consular interview that you were married, they could theoretically deny her visa because of it. Generally, bonafied couples reveal this kind of information to each other. If I found out at the interview that my fiance had a previous marriage he had been hiding from me, I'd walk out the interview and refuse to marry him. That's just me, but you should definitely disclose your previous marriage to her.

same/same

Being in a relationship, you should be very open and honest to each other. Communication is very vital in a relationship. Knowing your past is important for the future but ofcourse past is past and you have to move on with your life with the present one. You can't do anything about the past but you can do something for your future... to do things right and learn from the past. It's better for her to know now about your past than she will find out later from others and regret. If she really loves you, she will accept your past and love you more. Love is lovelier the second time around right? So Goodluck and Godbless in your journey! :star:

"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it."

06/20/2009 - Met online ( I am from Philippines and he's from Wisconsin)

04/26/2010 - Met in Philippines (for 2 weeks)

05/08/2010 - Officially engaged!! ( He sent the engagement ring 09/24/2010 and he proposed to me on bended knee in Philippines with the second part of engagement ring) *melting*

06/18/2010 - I-129F package Sent

06/21/2010 - NOA1

06/24/2010 - Touched

09/23/2010 - Touched (when I contacted the Congressman's office)

11/15/2010 - Touched (hopefully the approval)

11/17/2010 - NOA2 (Received hard copy 11/22/2010)

12/01/2010 - Received a letter from DOS dated 11/29/2010 stating that the petition will be forwared to USE AD within a week and that I will received the packets very soon from embassy.

01/18/2011 - Interview. APPROVED!!! No words can express how happy i am.

01/25/2011 - VISA in hand! YAY!!!

02/20/2011 - POE Chicago (O'hare)

05/14/2011 - Our Wedding day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thanks in advance.

First and foremost (no offense intended) I think there are some serious issues if you dont want to have your girlfriend know you've been through this before. Honesty is very important during trying times like this (going through government bureacracy.)

Secondly as Gary stated you most certainly will not make it through this entire process without this coming up at some point, most likely at several points (K-1 interview and AOS.) Best case scenario, she answers other questions showing a real relationship, worst case they deny you thinking that its a sham. Either way its a bad situation for your relationship and possibly your 'paperwork'

Furthermore, if I were in your shoes I would want to share this information with her just because it can help with confidence going into an interview for her. Many haven't dealt with the government, or aren't used to going into details of their personal lives with them. Knowing that you've gone through this before may help her be more confident going into the interview that she will be ok, and everything will work out since you have a genuine relationship. Not saying that she's not confident or doesn't know how to handle it, but I know that knowing that your fiancee knows how to handle it vs reading or researching it and has been successful cant help but create more confidence. In addition to that if they were to ask her something about your relationship and why she feels confident about it knowing about your past and failure of your previous relationship, she can share how you have changed for the better and/or learned from your previous relationship that went sour (whether it was your or your fiancee's fault) will show depth of relationship and that you've talked about these things. Normal couples have at one time or another talked about mistakes or changes they've made in their live's based on mistakes and/or experiences and this is something a true couple have.

[11/01/2010] MAILED I-129F PAPERWORK USPS EXPRESS MAIL

[11/02/2010] RECEIVED 10:22A IN LEWISVILLE, TX BY K. COLTRIN

[11/05/2010] RECEIVED ELECTRONIC NOA 1 (1:14A)

[11/08/2010] RECEIVED HARD-COPY OF NOA 1 (DATED NOV. 4TH)

[11/10/2010] TOUCHED!

[11/15/2010] TOUCHED!

[04/09/2011] I-129F APPROVED (NO RFE'S YAY!!!)

[04/20/2011] NVC RECEIVED APPROVED PETITION

[04/22/2011] NVC SENT APPROVED PETITION TO BUENOS AIRES

[07/31/2011] AFTER MUCH ADO FINALLY RECEIVED PACKET 3 (APPROX.)

[08/11/2011] CORREO ARGENTINO ACKNOWLEDGES PACKET RECIEVED BY BUENOS AIRES CONSULATE

[08/23/2011] PACKET 3 ACCEPTED BY CONSULATE INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR SEPT 6TH

[09/06/2011] INTERVIEW IN BA FOR K1 VISA. TWO QUESTION INTERVIEW.....APPROVED!!!! YAY!!!

[09/13/2011] SEALED VISA PACKET FOR ENTRY ARRIVES...IN HAND NOW!!!

[10/02/2011] POE MIAMI - IN UNITED STATES FINALLY!

[10/21/2011] OFFICIAL U.S. MARRIAGE!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.