searley86

K1 Work Visa Permit at Dulles

35 posts in this topic

You can file EAD with AOS, it is totally free to file if you are sending it with AOS. So if you need it file it, no additional cost.

You can probably count on starting to work about 60-70 or so days after you file AOS.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Can someone clarify, since we are on the topic... When filing for AOS, do you need to file for EAD as well? I was under the impression that you had to file for both at the same time, and pay the cost of each form. Saving money makes me happy, so if you don't have to file both I will be thrilled! I have just been working out my budget for the whole process as we are both students with little extra money.

Another question... regardless of the answer above, what is the soonest that one can start working given current wait times? We are applying this week for the I-129f and *should* be going through the California Center as my fiancé lives in California. Wait time for the AOS is 4 months currently. I notice that EAD is 3 months, so it seems pointless to do it separately by choice (if you don't have to file both). We are trying to work out the amount of downtime I will have when coming to the US when it comes to work for budget purposes.

Any info appreciated. Thanks!

AOS is $1010 and that includes EAD and AP which is the document to travel as well. Usually EAD gets approved withing 65-70 days, but you have to wait for the actual card to work. So that brings it to around 80 days from filing. I got my card 2 weeks before my green card...pretty useless!

Good luck!

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Marriages are ruled by the state you marry in , most states you don't need it. You have to check the laws of the state you want to marry in

Also old information. The supreme court let stand a ruling by a federal appelate court in 2008 that states CAN NOT require an SSN to get married. They can ask for it but they cannot require it. When the SS administration catches on, they will stop issuing SSNs to K-1s also. K2, K3 and K4 cannot get an SSN without an EAD or green card because none of them ever needed it to get married.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Can someone clarify, since we are on the topic... When filing for AOS, do you need to file for EAD as well? I was under the impression that you had to file for both at the same time, and pay the cost of each form. Saving money makes me happy, so if you don't have to file both I will be thrilled! I have just been working out my budget for the whole process as we are both students with little extra money.

Another question... regardless of the answer above, what is the soonest that one can start working given current wait times? We are applying this week for the I-129f and *should* be going through the California Center as my fiancé lives in California. Wait time for the AOS is 4 months currently. I notice that EAD is 3 months, so it seems pointless to do it separately by choice (if you don't have to file both). We are trying to work out the amount of downtime I will have when coming to the US when it comes to work for budget purposes.

Any info appreciated. Thanks!

The time frame is going to depend on you as much as anything. How dast will you get married and file AOS? You do not NEED to file the EAD with the AOS but it is free and simple, so why not?

For my own opinion, I am not sure why a Canadian would choose a K-1 visa at any rate. Canadians do not need a visa to enter the US and they do not need a visa to get married. Get married first, in Canada or the US, keep your job, file for a CR-1 and visit as much as you want in the meantime. When the visa is approved you will have a green card already. I am trying to imagine being engaged to a woman from Quebec, 10 minutes from my house, and she has to come to the USA, cannot leave and cannot work for 2-3 months, so could not visit her family 10 minutes drive from our home in the US. Granted you may not live 10 minutes from your future home, but still...

PLUS the CR-1 is cheaper, there is no AOS and you get a green card right away.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The time frame is going to depend on you as much as anything. How dast will you get married and file AOS? You do not NEED to file the EAD with the AOS but it is free and simple, so why not?

For my own opinion, I am not sure why a Canadian would choose a K-1 visa at any rate. Canadians do not need a visa to enter the US and they do not need a visa to get married. Get married first, in Canada or the US, keep your job, file for a CR-1 and visit as much as you want in the meantime. When the visa is approved you will have a green card already. I am trying to imagine being engaged to a woman from Quebec, 10 minutes from my house, and she has to come to the USA, cannot leave and cannot work for 2-3 months, so could not visit her family 10 minutes drive from our home in the US. Granted you may not live 10 minutes from your future home, but still...

Not sure that's the best advice.

There are many reasons to go the K1 route when Cdn - head over to the Canadian forum and you'll see why - not everyone wants to get married and then live apart during the VISA process - some of us preferred to do the waiting upfront while engaged and then move and marry. My husband and I both had teenagers and are well established in our careers so for me to take 4-5 months off and be the homemaker at a very busy time in our lives was just fine.

Not being able to travel to Canada for the 3 months was not the end of the world....little tough, but not bad.

It's really about preference and nothing more

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am so glad you said that for the life of me I could not understand why canadiens were doing that as well only if my fiance lived that close geesh..... :wacko:

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Udella&Wiz,

I see your point and I understand you,It is true what you're saying. I want to underline that this is a general idea,I surely don't want to say others what to do; I will enter the US with a K1 visa next year,and me and my fiancèe will get married within few days after my arrival - when I read that the waiting times for the EAD was of 3 months,my jaws dropped...I don't see any major risk in trying to work for example as a waiter in a restaurant for a couple of months while my AOS and EAD will be in processing. Again,this is me - but I simply can't see myself being a charge for my girlfriend and her family for months.

Kind Regards

The stamp you may get upon coming in on a K-1 is not good enough for you to work. There are numerous posts here going over the reasoning, but in a nutshell, it was intended for K-1's to be given the ability to get an SSN so they can get married.

The new system they have for checking the ability to work does not show people with this "stamp".

You can apply for an EAD on the K-1, prior to the AOS, however, it will be good only for 90 days, so it would be a waste of $340.00 (since it is free with the AOS).

EAD is the only thing that you can use (other than the greencard) for working in the US.

So - if you intend to work as soon as possible, get married fast, submit the AOS paperwork (with the EAD) and you will usually get it within 3 months or so. (Umit's came within 2..7 months, and two days after that, she got her greencard....)

I used to think that too, but then I read an interesting document that I Quit posted in the working & traveling forum. The reason why K-1's are issued SSNs is because they can apply for an EAD based on their K-1 status, and they can get them without an EAD to help "streamline" the process by allowing them to get the EAD and the SSN in parallel instead of in series, since USCIS acknowledges (:blink: Yes, really!) that they don't send them the card until it's nearly expired! I wish I'd saved the link to it.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm getting there with all my visa paperwork filing, I've received my 2nd notice of action and have all the paperwork and proof sorted. I read on the website that some airports will issue a temporary 90 day work authorization if it is asked for and that it depends on which airport you fly into.

I will be flying into Washington Dulles, has anyone had any experience with getting a work permit at this airport and do you have to pay for them?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,

thank you in advance

Nick

Some POE used to issue those but not any more. Nada, Zero, Zippo. Getting the EAD or GC is the only way one can legally work now.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I came here in 2007 with a K-1 visa and i flew through JFK newyork. My passport was stamped with work authorized, i did not know that untill i went to apply for my social security card and the social security officer told me that once i get my card, that i could work because i had the work authorization stamp in my passport. I was able to get a job with the work authorization stamp in my passport. I was working while doing my AOS. I think that if you fly through Newyork, you might get the stamp and you might be able to get a job with that.

Hi all,

I'm getting there with all my visa paperwork filing, I've received my 2nd notice of action and have all the paperwork and proof sorted. I read on the website that some airports will issue a temporary 90 day work authorization if it is asked for and that it depends on which airport you fly into.

I will be flying into Washington Dulles, has anyone had any experience with getting a work permit at this airport and do you have to pay for them?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,

thank you in advance

Nick

I have heard that JFK POE, do that, but this is no valid anymore.

you have to to file for AOS and EAD at the same time.

I came here in 2007 with a K-1 visa and i flew through JFK newyork. My passport was stamped with work authorized, i did not know that untill i went to apply for my social security card and the social security officer told me that once i get my card, that i could work because i had the work authorization stamp in my passport. I was able to get a job with the work authorization stamp in my passport. I was working while doing my AOS. I think that if you fly through Newyork, you might get the stamp and you might be able to get a job with that.

Sorry, but this is outdated information. That used to work until the I-9 was clarified in 2009, which was after you already had your green card. I understand you're trying to help, but the above is no longer true.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Udella&Wiz,

I see your point and I understand you,It is true what you're saying. I want to underline that this is a general idea,I surely don't want to say others what to do; I will enter the US with a K1 visa next year,and me and my fiancèe will get married within few days after my arrival - when I read that the waiting times for the EAD was of 3 months,my jaws dropped...I don't see any major risk in trying to work for example as a waiter in a restaurant for a couple of months while my AOS and EAD will be in processing. Again,this is me - but I simply can't see myself being a charge for my girlfriend and her family for months.

Kind Regards

So do you plan on reporting this income from waiting on tables on your tax return?

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Udella&Wiz,

Kind Regards

Can you see yourself getting in trouble for working without authorization? And can you see yourself telling the truth about it at your AOS interview or can you see yourself lying about it?

If you wanted immediate work upon entrance into the US, you should have filed for a CR1 spousal visa

GOod luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

regardless of current status -

IF you review the documentation requirements of the I-9 form

then you can understand, in real time, if you are eligible to work, or not.

Seriously - review an I-9 form, have a look ? Read it? Flesh out yer documentation, see if you are eligible to work, based on the documentation requirements of the I-9 form.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.