searley86

K1 Work Visa Permit at Dulles

35 posts in this topic

Pretty much all jobs here (including waiting tables) require a SSN. Under the table jobs are pretty difficult to find unless you know a business owner willing to break the law. A majority of illegal immigrants that get away with it have fake social security cards. I don't think you'd have much luck, not to mention it's quite a risk to take with a green card in the works.

I wouldn't see it as "sponging off your wife". If you can't work, you can't work. Part of being married is that you're a team and support each other when necessary. My fiance doesn't like the idea of me having to pay rent while he waits for work authorization either, but we're balancing it out by him paying for the majority of the visa fees now. It all evens out in the end. I'd rather be able to see him on a daily basis and pay a little extra (I'm already paying full rent and bills by myself now anyway) than wait even longer simply to save money.

Naturalization Process (FINALLY!)

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.02.14 - Packet received at the Lewisville Texas Center

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

06.13.14 - Biometrics letter received

07.02.14 - Biometrics appointment

07.07.14 - In line

07.17.14 - 'Yellow Paper' date

09.10.14 - Interview scheduled NOA date

10.15.14 - Interview date

10.15.14 - RFE (missing documentation)

10.21.14 - RFE response received in NYC facility

11.04.14 - Oath ceremony scheduled, approved!

11.19.14 - Oath ceremony (8:30am) in Brooklyn - Completed! DONE WITH USCIS!

Not sure that's the best advice.

There are many reasons to go the K1 route when Cdn - head over to the Canadian forum and you'll see why - not everyone wants to get married and then live apart during the VISA process - some of us preferred to do the waiting upfront while engaged and then move and marry. My husband and I both had teenagers and are well established in our careers so for me to take 4-5 months off and be the homemaker at a very busy time in our lives was just fine.

Not being able to travel to Canada for the 3 months was not the end of the world....little tough, but not bad.

It's really about preference and nothing more

We have chosen the K-1 route as K-1 interviews can be conducted at the Vancouver consulate. I live in Victoria, BC and it would be about a $1000+ flight to Montreal for the interview if we married prior. In addition, I am finishing my undergrad in Victoria and we have until May before I can move to California anyway (almost the exact time estimate for the K-1 process). California is far enough that I doubt I will need to travel back to Canada before the AOS is approved once I am in the US, so no worries there. We plan to do a casual city hall wedding for starters when I come to California and then do a formal event about a year later - pretty standard as far as I see with people in the same boat. Planning a wedding and compiling immigration documentation at the same time doesn't seem like the best match for us (especially with me in school!)

We will be living with my fiance's parents to start so we can get on our feet while I am unable to work and once I start working after receiving the Green card and EAD we will get our own place. So overall, the K-1 process isn't necessarily the harder situation for us. We have done a year of distance thus far with no issues, so waiting is something we have become good at.

As far as I know, the K-1 process doesn't prohibit travel prior to the visa being issued. Can someone verify this? I am under the impression that the travel restrictions occur after entering the USA on the visa only. We would like to visit prior to the process being completed.

If there are any members who have done the process with Canada somewhat recently and have moved to the USA (bringing a vehicle, belongings etc.) that would be willing to give me an overview of the process, feel free to get in touch. I can send along my email address. I appreciate all the help I have been getting from this forum. Thanks :)

06-15?-2009: Starting talking on dating website
07-06-2009: Met in person in Roseville, CA
09-09-2010: Sent I-129f to TXS Lockbox
09-13-2010: NOA1 received
02-02-2011: NOA2 Notification Sent - Approved!!!
02-04-2011: NVC Received
02-09-2011: NVS sent to Vancouver consulate
02-14-2011: Received by Vancouver Consulate
02-15-2011: Packet 3 sent by Vancouver Consulate
02-18-2011: Packet 3 received
02-18-2011: Packet 3 sent back to consulate
02-19-2011: Interview date received!!! Letter on its way!
03-23-2011: Medical at Woking Clinic, Vancouver BC (AM)
03-23-2011: Interview at Vancouver Consulate (PM)
03-23-2011: APPROVED for K-1 Visa!!!! biggrin.png
04-27-2011: POE
05-03-2011: Sent AOS, AP applications
05-06-2011: NOA1 received for AOS and AP
05-06-2011: Applied for SSN. Application successful
05-09-2011: Received SSN by visiting local card center
05-10-2011: Biometrics appointment notice, June 1, 2011.
05-13-2011: Received SSN Card in Mail
06-01-2011: Biometrics appt. in Sacramento, CA
09-16-2011: EAD approved
09-26-2011: AOS Interview in Sacramento
09-26-2011: Green Card (2 yr conditional) granted

02-03-2013: Separated - Return to Canada

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Post proposing illegal activity in violation of TOS and immigration regulations has been removed along with post quoting same. The rest of the post quoting removed material is returned below:

Udella&Wiz: Recommending that someone does something illegal is not really acceptable, what you choose to do yourself is your business of course.

If you cannot legally work and you're trying to immigrate here - do you really think it's a good idea to push it? If USCIS found out, you'd be in huge trouble and you'd risk being deported - not smart

Please remember that any sort of recommendation or support of illegal activity is a violation of TOS and will be removed from this site. Any repeat posts of such material by the poster will result in an account suspension.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Kathryn,

in this case I apologize and please feel free to remove any of my posts that are inconvenient for the forum ethos; I have to admit I've been saying that out of frustration...thanks to the other members for their replies,you people have gone through all this and I appreciate a lot your comments; I will see if I can find a better,LEGAL and smarter solution.

Regards

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Kathryn,

in this case I apologize and please feel free to remove any of my posts that are inconvenient for the forum ethos; I have to admit I've been saying that out of frustration...thanks to the other members for their replies,you people have gone through all this and I appreciate a lot your comments; I will see if I can find a better,LEGAL and smarter solution.

Regards

Thank you :) . Yeah, that frustration gets to all of us at some time or another. I kept reminding myself 'that which does not break us, makes us stronger' and then would go off and have my own versions of hissy fits snarking away at some unknown/uncaring immigration official in my mind with all of the most sarcastic things I could think of to say. :lol: We understand frustrations here, and that is one the reasons this site is so useful. It can help us regain some perspective or understanding that we can use to manouever our way through the immigration minefields.

The other 'saying' that you might find helpful is to remember 'Short term pain for long term gain". Good luck to you :) .

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.