hockeygal

the "no-poo" method

90 posts in this topic

I have naturally curly hair -- think Shirley Temple ringlets, and while I don't go 'no-poo', during the winter I usually only wash with shampoo every other or every third day. (In the summer I simply perspire too much.) It takes about two weeks for scalp oil production to calm down, I've found.

I use Trader Joe's liquid peppermint soap on my hair, with an occasional apple cider vinegar rinse (smells awful, but improves shine). For curl control, I use Garnier Fructis' curl creme that comes in a small pot for about $4. Perfect, soft, ringlets.

Once a month or so, I do an olive oil treatment on my hair. Basically, take two tablespoons of olive oil, a splash of lavendar oil, massage it into your hair, and go to sleep. (Put an old t-shirt on the pillow first.) Then in the morning, shampoo it out. It may take two or three washes, depending, but your hair is left as soft as silk.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Im up for this cause Im sick and tired of trying to get my curly mop right hahaha Guess Im going to be getting myself a copy of Curly Girl. Thanks for the heads up on this gals :thumbs:

im the same, my curly hair pisses me off! if i dont use moose on it it looks BAD. and it always frizzes. If i can find a way to never use moose or hairspray again, im all for it!! Guess im off to look at Curly Girl.

haha.. I'm having a good laff at you wenchie---I think the first PM I sent you was about this book/site when I was trying to woo you! :P

Tara, I didn't realize you are one of us Curly Girls!

I must say, the CUT has made a world of difference for me, too. I found my cutter at naturallycurly.com and while she is a bit expensive, I don't have to go nearly so often. She uses Aveda's version of Ouidad's 'slicing' technique and took out probably 40% of the volume (feels like it anyway) so now I can wear my hair long without it weighing a ton.

The other upside, that supports the no-poo, is that I need far less product to keep things under a modicum of control. It just those darn expensive (WONDERFUL) Aveda products that get me....

Now this is an awesome post!!! I joined naturallycurly :D and went out and bought a copy of Curly Girl. I have naturally curly hair and I flat iron it all the time. I need to get my hair in better condition so I'm gonna give it a shot. I spend a fortune on hair products that do little or nothing to help my hair. Yaaaay, I'm excited :thumbs::star::dance:

Cooool! I was researching the Japanese straightening as a birthday gift for myself which led me to that website----totally changed my opinion of my hair!

I have naturally curly hair -- think Shirley Temple ringlets, and while I don't go 'no-poo', during the winter I usually only wash with shampoo every other or every third day. (In the summer I simply perspire too much.) It takes about two weeks for scalp oil production to calm down, I've found.

I use Trader Joe's liquid peppermint soap on my hair, with an occasional apple cider vinegar rinse (smells awful, but improves shine). For curl control, I use Garnier Fructis' curl creme that comes in a small pot for about $4. Perfect, soft, ringlets.

Once a month or so, I do an olive oil treatment on my hair. Basically, take two tablespoons of olive oil, a splash of lavendar oil, massage it into your hair, and go to sleep. (Put an old t-shirt on the pillow first.) Then in the morning, shampoo it out. It may take two or three washes, depending, but your hair is left as soft as silk.

I'm another Shirley type.. thank you for posting this to give me courage to try the olive oil!

OK, for every curly top: look up "plopping" at naturallycurly---this is a different way to towel up your wet head and the styling difference is *amazing*! (the tee shirt comment reminded me of this cause a tee is the easy way to do it). If you want nice curls right from the top (aussiewench!) of your crown, you've got to try it.

Of course now I'm on a thing of straightening my crown, but I'm just flirting with it... can get too, er, Bozo-like if the curls just explode from the sides..... :lol:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have ridiculously long hair, and the comments I get all the time are, well second to the length, the healthiness of it. Truth is, I dont wash it daily...which ofends my husband :wacko: . I wash it every second day (unless I put a ton of product in it the day before). Thats all it needs. I condition the ends, not the scalp, conditioner isnt meant for the scalp, so just from the neck down gets it...and its the healthiest when I follow this routine...when I start putting product daily or washing it daily, it gets split ends & frizzy looking. More than 1 day between shampoos tho my scalp itches like mad

12/25/2001 : Met on telephone thanks to mutual friend

03/02/2001 : Met face to face at a concert in Sault Ste Marie Michigan

07/06/2004 : I-129F Sent

07/19/2004 : I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

10/20/2004 : I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

11/01/2004 : Package Received By NVC

11/04/2004 : Rec'd Instructions (Pkt 3)

07/01/2005 : Completed Instructions (Pkt 3)

09/01/2005 : Rec'd Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)

11/07/2005 : Interview!!!

11/20/2005 : Visa Received

12/03/2005 : US Entry, finally home

02/04/2006 : Wedding !!!

02/13/2006 : AOS, AP & EAD filed

02/16/2006 : AOS, EAD & AP rec'd

02/24/2006 : NOA for AP rejected (I ticked wrong box duh0

02/27/2006 : NOA for AOS, EAD

03/13/2006 : Biometrics appt

03/05/2006 : amended AP application rec'd

03/09/2006 : NOA for AP

04/06/2006 : RFE for AOS (co-sponsor affidavit)

04/07/2006 : AP approved

04/13/2006 : AP recieved

05/25/2006 : EAD approved

05/29/2006 : used AP for the first time

06/01/2006 : EAD rec'd

07/04/2006 : AP used again to pick up my son, activated his visa (he was a follow to join)

07/13/2006 : AP touched ??? (possibly because I used it july 4th?)

08/01/2006 : Interview date

08/12/2006 : AOS touched

08/14/2006 : Gerrys biometrics

10/10/2006 : AOS interview for Gerry

10/28/2006, 11/11/2006, 11/18/2006, my AOS touched ; 10/12/2006,12/04/2006 : Gerry's AOS touched

12/07/2006 : AOS APPROVED !!!!!!!

12/16/2006 : GREEN CARDS IN HAND!

09/24/2008 : Apply for Removal of Conditions

09/26/2008 : 1 Yr Conditional Resident Extention

11/01/2008 : Biometrics for both of us

01/??/2009 : 10 Year Green Cards!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

ugh. It is too greasy! I know it is to be expected in the start-up, but...

On the plus side, last night I scrubbed my scalp with a little conditioner, and used and ACV rinse on the ends. Then I "plopped". Though it still isn't as wavy/curly as I can get it to be with product and a diffuser, I have to say it was starting to show promise. Still a tad greasy/damp (ew), but it was shiny and the curls seemed to be starting to show up more, and separated well... The potential may see me through the rest of this horrible "detox" period.

I picked up some Suave naturals conditioner today, since I think the one I have at home may not be good. Don't see any of the evil "cones" in it, but I will stick with the type that is recommended inthis no-poo world.

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

i couldnt go without shampoo. especially in the summer. i have to wash my hair everyday. i also deep condition it twice a week and use regular conditioner everyday.

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
ugh. It is too greasy! I know it is to be expected in the start-up, but...

On the plus side, last night I scrubbed my scalp with a little conditioner, and used and ACV rinse on the ends. Then I "plopped". Though it still isn't as wavy/curly as I can get it to be with product and a diffuser, I have to say it was starting to show promise. Still a tad greasy/damp (ew), but it was shiny and the curls seemed to be starting to show up more, and separated well... The potential may see me through the rest of this horrible "detox" period.

I picked up some Suave naturals conditioner today, since I think the one I have at home may not be good. Don't see any of the evil "cones" in it, but I will stick with the type that is recommended inthis no-poo world.

I am going cold turkey this friday. I just scheduled an appointment with a stylist that specializes in cutting curly hair. After I get my chop :( I am gonna go "no poo" and see what happens. This programs makes alot of sense to me as I have always had problems with breakage and frizzy hair. So I have already sworn off bleach (highlights) and I'm back to my natural color. So now lets get my healthy curls back. I have been flat-ironing my hair for the last 2 years and boy did that do a number on it. :crying:

Do you guys have problems with shrinkage? Any reccomendations?

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I was so interested in this, I started today. Rinsed my hair this morning and used a bit of leave in conditoner. Have two weeks before the hubby is home so I can be greasy with no worries lol.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

I'm another Shirley type.. thank you for posting this to give me courage to try the olive oil!

It was actually suggested by my stylist in lieu of an expensive deep conditioning treatment. About one tablespoon suffices for normal length hair. When my hair was long (below shoulder blades) it took two tablespoons massaged in and I braided it so the oil didn't get everywhere. I add the lavender oil so I don't smell too much like salad dressing, but you wash it all out the next morning anyway.

I usually twirl my hair into ringlets. Today I just let it go as I'm studying and slumming it and my hair is kind of doing the anime poof thing.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My cousin uses only baby Shampoo... no conditioner... her hair is beautiful and shiny and you can just tell it's much much healthier!

But poor me.... it'd be impossible to keep my hair pretty using only shampoo.... :no:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I have ridiculously long hair, and the comments I get all the time are, well second to the length, the healthiness of it. Truth is, I dont wash it daily...which ofends my husband :wacko: . I wash it every second day (unless I put a ton of product in it the day before). Thats all it needs. I condition the ends, not the scalp, conditioner isnt meant for the scalp, so just from the neck down gets it...and its the healthiest when I follow this routine...when I start putting product daily or washing it daily, it gets split ends & frizzy looking. More than 1 day between shampoos tho my scalp itches like mad

NOBODY 'needs' to wash their hair daily... it takes at least a few days for it to get dirty! I've always found that the more often you wash your hair, the more often you NEED to wash it. I aim for twice a week and try not to get into the habit of doing it more than that because otherwise it just produces more oil and gets icky - for awhile I was doing it every second night and that was way too much washing so it looked terrible. I wash my hair on saturday morning so it looks nice for church on Sunday without being wet, and on Tuesday or Wednesday. And I've switched from nighttime hair-washing to mornings - it comes out much wavier and nicer looking if it is DRY when I go to bed at night - sleeping on wet hair flattens it out like a pancake!

I joined the site too and I need to try to get hold of the book and find a better shampoo - apparantly baby shampoo is good for your eyes, but not for your hair...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

and i thought it was gonna be another thread about agent smith taking a monster dump :lol:

there are articles in medical journals on that :yes:

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Anyone have an update?

I have read Curly Girl and now I have officially started the process. I also "plopped" my hair today and OMG I love the results.

I read about "plopping" on naturallycurly.com. You apply all the product in the shower when you har is still really wet (imagine seaweed), you then take a microfiber towel or old tshirt, and set it down on a flat surface. Dip your head forward so you hair is on top of the towel/shirt and plop all the hair on top of you head and secure the towel/shirt and wai 10-20 minutes. YOU WILL LOVE THE RESULTS. It really encourages "clumping" (curls that form together).

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

i cut all mine off! no muss, no fuss! :D

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Day 5 and already in the past two days I have had three compliments. Washing mine with conditioner, adding a bit of conditioner after I get out of the shower. Earlier in the week I did the baking soda scrub, vinegar rinse and put about a tbls of olive oil in over night. My curls are definetly showing more than they have in years. I was so close to getting a perm to bring the life back into it, so glad I saw this thread.

Tried combing it while wet then dried it which made more of a very relaxed wave. Also tried only combing through with my fingers and drying which resulted in very nice clumped curls.

My hair no longer feels weighted down by the end of the day. So far so good, no greasies or stinkies. :thumbs:

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I wash my hair when its dirty--for example after working in the yard on a hot day, playing sports, or in a dusty area. Tap water can deposit minerals on your hair--so using a conditioner could be more important depending on your specific water conditions. But for really good looking hair you should eat a well balanced diet full of the vitamins and minerals your skin and hair need.

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg