hockeygal

the "no-poo" method

90 posts in this topic

I was REALLY greasy up until 2 days ago... waking up my hair was a MESS.. i just started rinsing every night with a really diluted bit of conditioner. give it a lil more time, your probably still transitioning.

i am using regular pantene watered down - no trace of *cones* in its ingredients... will probably search for something more natural when its gone.

i guess will clarify on sundays with the baking soda rinse.

not sure this method is really any good for semi-straight hair though :lol: we will see......

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
not sure this method is really any good for semi-straight hair though :lol: we will see......

I've always had "wavey" hair, so I'm not quite a curly, just a hanger on wannabe :lol: I can't imagine how this would be bad, so even if it's not good, it can't hurt.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I've always had "wavey" hair, so I'm not quite a curly, just a hanger on wannabe :lol: I can't imagine how this would be bad, so even if it's not good, it can't hurt.

Seems most people recommend the Suave naturals line or even VO5, both cheap and worth a try. I still haven't hit the oily stage yet, as I posted earlier think my hair was just so dry it is soaking up all it can for the moment.

I tried plopping last night, went to bed with one of those Scunci microfiber hair turbans on I have some very nice soft curls this morning. Going to have to try it when I am not going to be sleeping on it, think it will work wonders for me. Bought some of the herbal essence totally twisted mousse giving that a try today.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Interesting topic - but I'm not a curly gal myself - I'm a dead poker straight gal :lol:

I don't tend to wash my hair more than once a week btw - cos I know if I wash it every day it will start getting flyaway and frizzy - and when I was a kid my mum always told me 'most people only need to wash hair when it's dirty or sweaty - otherwise once a week is fine'. Course when I hit my teens I tried shampooing daily - disastrous!My hair is thick but daily shampooing 'gave' me dandruff (or flaky scalp - whatever I never had it before - or since I stopped daily shampooing either).

I ALWAYS use conditioner and I ALWAYS comb it thru when its just been applied - I rarely get tangles that way, and my hair is very strong (I used to 'hair model' and you need hair of steel to do that).

Can't say I'd be 'brave' enough to try the no-poo method - but then what I do already works for me so why would I? Good luck tho to all the gals who are givng it a go! :thumbs:

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ok, I have officially been obsessing about this too much. Last night I dreamed I went to Target and found a no poo poo line of hair care products. They were in little pink and purple containers :huh:

In other news, my husband says my hair looks great, despite being uber greasy.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been getting comments at work that my hair looks good. I don't see it!

Next Wednesday I see my sweetie, and I think I will get a bottle of organic, sulfate free shampoo to bring with me. One, he likes girly smelling hair. Two, I do not want any hint of grease, and I seem to still get it except after a baking soda rinse, which I can't do often.

I dunno. The jury is still out. My hair used to shine less, but curl more when I used lots of product and a diffuser to dry it! Plus, my scalp is itchier now, though I try to exfoliate and scrub it...

I have heard the "detox" period could take a while though, so short of a little organic shampoo on my visit, I think I will keep at it until I can see what it will be like when it finally settles.

This is day 21.

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Timeline

Right so I did the plop thing this morning, tried my new herbal essence twist and curl stuff, the jury is in I still have nice curly hair 11 hours later.

Can't seem to find the usb plug for my darn camera dunno why the storage card wont fit in my reader either. :angry: Since my boys are generally the ones using the camera I have been begging them to tell me where the cord is, "I don't know I didn't use it". Really proud of the way my hair is looking would love to share, if nothing else the Brit is home next week sure to be pictures then and his card DOES fit in the reader!

Rhama I am a bit obsessed too, when I have gotten new products I want to go straight in the shower and try them out. :lol:

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

... and his card DOES fit in the reader!

always a plus!! :thumbs::lol::devil:

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline
Ok, I have officially been obsessing about this too much. Last night I dreamed I went to Target and found a no poo poo line of hair care products. They were in little pink and purple containers :huh:

In other news, my husband says my hair looks great, despite being uber greasy.

Your dream is a reality lol -- there IS a No-Poo product! I saw it at the salon about a week ago. It's made by DevaCare and it's called DaveCare No-Poo. They also have DevaCare Low-Poo, which I bought (I'm too much of a wimp to go no-poo). So far, I like how my hair looks using it and its conditioner. Take a look: NO-POO!!! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've read about Deva-care... I don't think it is sold where I am.

I have been noticing grey roots this week. I think the baking soda mix - as diluted as I make it - is stripping my hair of colour. Seeing as I just spend a lot of money on August 4th to get it done, I am not very happy to see all the grey at the roots only 3 weeks later!

A friend of mine keeps swearing my hair is looking too good to quit, but I am not going to strip colour from my hair. I may get some rosemary oil to add to the acv rince... I hear that helps, but if I cut out the baking soda, I am not sure what I am supposed to use to get rid of build-up... other than shampoo!!

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Timeline
I've read about Deva-care... I don't think it is sold where I am.

I have been noticing grey roots this week. I think the baking soda mix - as diluted as I make it - is stripping my hair of colour. Seeing as I just spend a lot of money on August 4th to get it done, I am not very happy to see all the grey at the roots only 3 weeks later!

A friend of mine keeps swearing my hair is looking too good to quit, but I am not going to strip colour from my hair. I may get some rosemary oil to add to the acv rince... I hear that helps, but if I cut out the baking soda, I am not sure what I am supposed to use to get rid of build-up... other than shampoo!!

:( Noticed this too Hockey, my color has faded very fast. Have seen many post over on naturally curly about doing home colors perhaps we should look into that, much cheaper than the salon. I know as well at a local health foods store they have some natural hair color, guessing it wouldn't be nearly as damaging. Something I suppose we will have to learn as we go. Can't see where the occasional clarifying shampoo would hurt vs the acv rinse to preserve color longer. Personally I am thinking if my hair looks great I can live with the grey for now.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Ahhh, I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread!

Thought I'd add my contribution. :D Here is a very well-written essay about the no-poo method, written by an online friend of mine. She's awesome, and has been no-pooing for a long time now. Lots of tips and trouble-shooters in her essay. Have a read! :)

Timeline
Ahhh, I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread!

Thought I'd add my contribution. :D Here is a very well-written essay about the no-poo method, written by an online friend of mine. She's awesome, and has been no-pooing for a long time now. Lots of tips and trouble-shooters in her essay. Have a read! :)

:thumbs: Nice break down of things, an easy read. Thanks!

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif