hockeygal

the "no-poo" method

90 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

no, this isn't about constipation, it is about shampoo!

I've been meeting people who don't use it, and reading up on it, and I thought I'd give it a whirl. Theoretically, your hair is supposed to balance out after an initial period of greasiness, and become fabulous.

You are supposed to keep it clean with water, and you can use diluted baking soda to wash it, rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar... exfoliate with brown sugar.... seems easier to just shampoo! I have to say that even though it is a bit greasy, it feels waaaay lighter, which goes to show you how much product ways your hair down. I am told it will plump out soon. And it seems shinier, or is that just oil? ;) But I tire of wearing it up.

I'm just hoping my hair will appreciate being product free and maybe stop falling out eventually, and free the wave instead of frizz. But if it doesn't start looking fabulous before I head off to see my sweetie by the end of the month, I am going back to the bottle!

I was curious if anyone here doesn't use shampoo... apparently it is a lot more common than I thought, but maybe not on VJ!

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I use it (for the lovely smell) but once I met a girl whose hair was so fabulous I actually asked her what she used (which is not something I really ever do) and she told me she used nothing. She had hair prone to frizziness, like mine. She said exactly what you heard: at first it's greasy, and then it's really low-maintenance forever.

I'm such a sucker for the smell of shampoo though...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I generally use shampoo and conditioner about once a week, and just water the other times. My hair is extremely fine and it does make a difference even if I use products that are supposed to leave no build up. In winter when the air is dryer, though, I need to use conditioner at least 2 times a week. I have a number of friends, however, who never use shampoo and their hair looks fine.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm intrigued :unsure: I may have to experiment with this soon. And, as a hijabi, no one but my husband will see me go through the uber greasy phase :lol:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

and i thought it was gonna be another thread about agent smith taking a monster dump :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
I'm such a sucker for the smell of shampoo though...

me too. I miss it, and it has only been a little over a week! I have a coworker sniffing me each morning to make sure nothing smells bad! So far so good.

well, I hope the results will be worth it. 2 more weeks to find out...!

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I couldn't fathom not using shampo!

I'm Poo Free!!!

Lisa, that is most people's reaction---& hockeygal, that might be why a lot of us don't talk about it much. If you're interested, check out naturallycurly.com or the book Curly Girl, which details the do's and don'ts.

Important! You must change your product mix if you're going no-poo. Mainly that means learning which "cones" (silicones) are OK and which (most) are not. This is also key to getting that balance you're talking about, which is real and FABulous! If you continue with 'cones, they attract and collect dirt/pollution & you get build up that can only be stripped off with shampoo, so it's not as simple as 'just' stopping shampoo.

I wash my scalp and hair with conditioner instead of shampoo & I use home-made lavender water spray which has antibacterial properties . I also have changed the hair color I use (gasp! yes, it's true) and so have to shampoo when I use it, but that is less than once per month. As a curly girl, I've found that I get way better curl definition, have kicked the "crispy hair" syndrome that comes from certain gels and am less frizzy than I once was. I often use a conditioner as a styling product to combat frizzies and avoid any of the 'frizz away' type products as they are mainly silicones.

I think it's been over a year and a half now--hair looks, feels and smells great & trust me, I ask close friends to tell me the honest truth. For curly girls (ethnic hair or otherwise) it is a real wake up call to see what your hair is really all about and treat your hair as well as you would your fine knits. Think about it, would you wash your cashmere sweater in detergent every day? :)

PS: yes, I still shave my legs and armpits, organic food notwithstanding ;)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I wash my hair with 2-in-1 shampoo every other day. There is no way I can go without shampoo, I have oily skin and in turn my scalp and hair are also oily, if I don't wash it for more than 2 days it will just become very greasy and lumpy. After 4 days my scalp will itch and get dandruff (this happened when i was hospitalized and had to lay on my back for 5 days ), so shampoo is a MUST for me. :D I also have thick hair so don't need more volumes... :P

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

I saw someone once that never washed their hair ... and I put some change in their cup.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I saw someone once that never washed their hair ... and I put some change in their cup.

:lol:

In defense: you still wash, just not with shampoo.

PS: spare change still accepted here. PM for PayPal details ;)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Meauxana - I am on the waiting list for Curly Girl from the library. As far as I understand it, there are two camps.. the Curly Girl camp that uses conditioner, and the camp that uses nothing at all (save for ACV and BS) Do you find the conditioner really doesn't harm your hair? My whole reason for trying this is not only to free the wave, but also to spare my hair and scalp more product. Though I suppose, baking soda isn't exactly gentle!

Well, I will read the book - my friend is a Curly Girl..went from limp to robust curl, so I have seen it work with my own eyes!

Edited by hockeygal

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

How do you keep your hair clean without shampoo? If I go swimming in the pool when I come upstairs I have to wash my hair or it gets all lank, but the shampoo tends to dry it out too much if I do it more than twice a week... so I can only go for a swim if that's when I was about due to wash my hair!

Edit - I do NOT use hair-dye, styling mousse, gel or any other 'product' in my hair other than lavender baby shampoo twice a week and conditioner about once a month.

Edited by Kajikit

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

I've never even known that there are people who never wash their hair (well, people who choose not to and are from a Western culture)! :blink: I wash my hair and goop on the conditioner every single day! I've got fine hair and I like to keep it straight, sleek, and soft and since I highlight it I can put on tons of conditioner and still have it not feel as soft as I'd like. If I go one day without washing my hair is an oily and frizzy mess!

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!