Joseph C

What the US considers "having met"

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I work for a multinational that has a call center in the Philippines that supports North America. My fiance and I technically met once in the past two years when I went to her call center and saw her and said hello/goodbye. We grew closer over the internet after this "meeting". Is this enough to satisfy the following requirement for a fiancee visa?

You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:

1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.

2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Technically, it is enough. You may have difficulty proving this "meeting" happened though.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

So having dozens witnesses who can say that I was in the same call center at the same time isn't enough?

Usually they want things like photos of you together. We also used copies of his Passport showing the stamps of his visits. But I agree that you are going to have a very hard time proving this. I mean, unless they witnesses are all willing to sign affidavits that you were there. Even then....Is there anyway you or her could visit the other for a while? Get some pictures and have a good time.

Filed: Timeline

Usually they want things like photos of you together. We also used copies of his Passport showing the stamps of his visits. But I agree that you are going to have a very hard time proving this. I mean, unless they witnesses are all willing to sign affidavits that you were there. Even then....Is there anyway you or her could visit the other for a while? Get some pictures and have a good time.

Sure, I was just hoping to get her here quick. I'll probably just try to get married there if I go back. Thanks for the reply

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Well you have met the requirement for meeting, but now you need show PROOF of that meeting. There are primary and secondary examples of evidence of meeting. Not limited to boarding passes, visa stamps,photos of the two of you together, lodging receipts, chat logs,phone records,emails and so on. Gather all documentation and file the K1 the just of it is, roll the dice. If USCIS requires more evidence of meeting they ( USCIS) will RFE the petition and request more proof.

As far as getting her here quick. It's not going to happen with K1 or K3. These are not fast visas, ours (K1) took 6 months form the date of filing. K3 can take 12 months. Not trying to bumm you out but be prepaired to wait a while. This is not a sprint it is a marathon when it comes to immigration.

Good luck :thumbs:

Met online Sep 26 2009

Traveled to Ukraine Jan 22 2010

Spent 33 wonderful days together

Returned to US Feb 25 2010

K1 filed March 2010

Sent to VSC 2010-03-06

Received 03-08

Check cashed 03-10

NOA 1 dated 03-11

updated 03-16

Spending a week in Odessa and Kherson together 5-19-10 :)))))

NO RFE's

NOA 2 6-24-10

NVC recieve 6-28-10

NOA 2 Hard copy receive 6-29-10

NVC forward to Kiev 6-29-10 That was easy :)

Embassy receive 7-2-2010

Leave US 8-10 to attend interview

Interview 8-12-2010 :)))))))

VISA APPROVED 8-12-2010

POE Houston Tx. 8-20-2010

MARRIED Sep 25 2010 :))))))

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you are willing to gamble that they will accept it , if they dont you lose the fee and all that time. Personally I think you are not going to get by.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Sure, I was just hoping to get her here quick. I'll probably just try to get married there if I go back. Thanks for the reply

Then it's a good thing you found this site. The people who are in the biggest hurry are the ones who usually fail.

On this site, we use terms like "primary" and "secondary" evidence. This is based on a long history of people who've gotten RFE's or been denied because they couldn't satisfy USCIS that they had met the two year meeting requirement.

When we refer to "primary" evidence, we're referring to evidence that proves either one of you actually traveled to meet the other. This includes airline boarding passes, visas and entry/exit stamps in a passport, hotel receipts, etc. Basically, anything that proves a trip was taken and establishes the date of the trip.

When we refer to "secondary" evidence, we're referring to evidence that proves you actually met each other. Photos are the most common, and USCIS usually insists on seeing at least one photo. Sworn affidavits are also secondary evidence, but may not be enough without at least one photo. There are no consequences for someone living in a foreign country who chooses to lie to USCIS.

If you manage to get USCIS to accept whatever evidence you provide of that one trip, then your petition will be approved, but that's the easy part. The hard part will be convincing the consulate that there's a genuine "bona fide" relationship when that relationship didn't become serious until after your last (and only) physical meeting. I would be more than a little surprised if the embassy in Manila issued a visa under those circumstances. The consular officer is going to be wondering how the relationship could be real if you haven't even been in the same room since the relationship became serious.

Anyway, don't decide how you'll proceed until you've spent some time in the Philippines regional forum here, and you have some idea what your fiancee will be dealing with at the interview. At this point, you can still make plans and decisions that will greatly improve your chances of success.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sorry to bust your bubble but NOTHING in this process is quick....:whistle: and as others have said you may have a hard time proving this. I wish you the best on your journey!

I agree with Jim also

Edited by MRStee

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Photos are secondary evidence. Passport stamps and boarding passes are primary evidence you were in her country within the past two years. That meets the USCIS standard for petition approval. Demonstrating to a consular officer you have a bona fide ongoing relationship is a different matter, but I don't see any reason not to go ahead and file the petition. If at all possible, I would arrange another in person visit between now and the visa interview though.

Don't bother with affidavits. Being in the same country is enough to get the petition approved. Proving you met briefly does nothing in the way of demonstrating an ongoing relationship. Treat them as separate issues.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Photos are secondary evidence. Passport stamps and boarding passes are primary evidence you were in her country within the past two years. That meets the USCIS standard for petition approval. Demonstrating to a consular officer you have a bona fide ongoing relationship is a different matter, but I don't see any reason not to go ahead and file the petition. If at all possible, I would arrange another in person visit between now and the visa interview though.

Don't bother with affidavits. Being in the same country is enough to get the petition approved. Proving you met briefly does nothing in the way of demonstrating an ongoing relationship. Treat them as separate issues.

I agree, keep it simple.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Joseph,

I can understand that technically you met in person. however when you send her to the us embassy, they want to see photos of you and her together, you hugging her mother, you your girl and her mother and father and gramps and grams.

I would bet money if you try to pursue a visa for her , based just on that meeting that you would fail.

gl in what ever you decide

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi All,

New here, just sent in the I-129f this past Thursday to bring my fiance over to Sacramento. And man, what a stress... I have been living in Europe for the last 15 years, as I a dual-citizen American-Italian, and have been working in Europe the entire time.

Her and I have been together for 8 years, and have 2 children together and have been living together in sin ;-). I have US passports for both of my boys so hopefully this along with certified copies of their Italian birth certificates acts as "reasonably" having met within the last 2 years. But I have not found any information on this scenario on the internet. Does anyone else know if this is suitable as primary proof?

Thanks

Edited by bigbob

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi All,

New here, just sent in the I-129f this past Thursday to bring my fiance over to Sacramento. And man, what a stress... I have been living in Europe for the last 15 years, as I a dual-citizen American-Italian, and have been working in Europe the entire time.

Her and I have been together for 8 years, and have 2 children together and have been living together in sin ;-). I have US passports for both of my boys so hopefully this along with certified copies of their Italian birth certificates acts as "reasonably" having met within the last 2 years. But I have not found any information on this scenario on the internet. Does anyone else know if this is suitable as primary proof?

Thanks

A CRBA and US passport can be obtained without you being in the country. If the youngest kid was born yesterday, then the birth certificate might be indirect proof you were there 9 months ago, along with the CRBA that proves you're the father. Do you have any documents that directly prove that you were in Italy within the past two years?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi and thanks for the quick reply...

Both of our sons (4 years and 18 months of age)passports were issued from consulates in Europe (Florence & Barcelona), where we applied in person for them. I do not understand your comment, because both my fiance and I had to be present at the US consulates at the same time to apply for or sons passports (which in turn was also at the same time as the application for their US citizenship).

I have not been in Italy for the last 2 years, except for travel for work, and I have been living in Barcelona, where I worked until recently. She had stayed in Italy for the birth of our second son and joined me in mid-march of 2009.

I sent along all pages of their US passports as part of the package as I did not have a copy of their CRBA with me, and I sent a certified translated copy of the birth records which shows us as parents.

Does this help?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.