Sven

Strict Reading of Visa Rule Trips Up More Couples

48 posts in this topic

Umm no, they did not screw it up. It was supposed to stop the 90 day time frame when they did submit the paperwork. Please, the USCIS called me a CUSTOMER. I paid them a ton of money, and they can not find out that I did not send in one single document? They won't even issue a working permit and call you for an interview when you don't turn that form in. But that's what they did in this case.

It seems like no body here has read the article... I realize they forgot the form, but USCIS went ahead and ISSUED them a working permit AND called them for an interview and THEN the interviewer told them about it and THEN they did submit it correctly, again. How is deportation justified? It is not. USCIS is the one who needs to be hold accountable here. Sorry. That is what this is about. It's not like they forgot a form, ignored everything else, and just didn't care enough about it.

Edited by Sven

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I did read the article and yes USCIS should have sent an RFE but the point is the people violated immigration law by him coming to the US on the VWP with the intent to immigrate. That is fraud plain and simple. And what does him being a white Christian have to do with anything?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
And yes the way it sounds the Courts are finally trying to close the VWP express to AOS which makes me very happy.

If this true, then more power to it. :thumbs:

Sure, USCIS screwed up but then again, maybe this couple shouldn't have been entering on the VWP with intent to AOS. That, btw, is visa fraud.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

I found this interesting:

"Under the appeals court’s decision, the larger issue remains. In the Third Circuit, Citizenship and Immigration Services will no longer approve green cards based on marriage if the application is made more than 90 days after the foreign spouse entered on a visa waiver, officials said".

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651746

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I've read this before, but didn't understand it all the way trough... For example, I am in the 6th circuit and from Canada (not a VW country, but almost). Is this affecting me? Am I pretty much SOL regarding the AoS since I have an overstay?

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've read this before, but didn't understand it all the way trough... For example, I am in the 6th circuit and from Canada (not a VW country, but almost). Is this affecting me? Am I pretty much SOL regarding the AoS since I have an overstay?

Canada is not a VWP country - not even "almost" - these rulings have nothing to do with your situation that I can see.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Canada is not a VWP country - not even "almost" - these rulings have nothing to do with your situation.

Got it, thank you. :)

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

These are courts decisions, not changes in the law. As such they are called 'case law' and judges can use these decisions to justify their own conclusions on a matter. Tricky business that and is one reason why lay-people shouldn't conjecture about legal matters.

You did not enter on the VWP so this particular decision (in my lay-persons opinion)does not affect you.

I have no idea the details of your case and even if I did I would not conjecture as to the outcome of it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Umm no, they did not screw it up. It was supposed to stop the 90 day time frame when they did submit the paperwork.

Yes they did. The clock didn't stop because they DIDN'T send the CORRECT paperwork. They screwed it up by not reading the instructions and not sending the right forms.

It seems like no body here has read the article... I realize they forgot the form,

It seems like YOU didn't read the article.. or at least you didn't understand it. Are you sure you realise they forgot a form? Because above you said they didn't screw up... and if not sending in the correct paperwork ISN'T screwing up then I don't know what is...

but USCIS went ahead and ISSUED them a working permit AND called them for an interview and THEN the interviewer told them about it and THEN they did submit it correctly, again.
No-one is saying USCIS didn't stuff up, they did too.. but things happen

How is deportation justified? It is not. USCIS is the one who needs to be hold accountable here. Sorry. That is what this is about. It's not like they forgot a form, ignored everything else, and just didn't care enough about it.

Deportation is justified for several reasons:

1. They BRAZENLY abused the VWP. He came over, they got married, they LEFT and he re-entered with CLEAR intent to AOS

2. They didn't submit the correct paperwork. It's all there in black and white. It's not that hard..

3. Even if the forms were confusing they could have hired a lawyer. They didn't and now he's in trouble

4. Even if they didn't have the MONEY for a lawyer, a quick google would have helped them out too.

USCIS stuffed up, no-one's saying that, BUT these people stuffed up. They couldn't even file the paperwork correctly after so easily breaking the law.

It's completely obvious that they just thought it would all "just work out". It's obvious they didn't do their research and that they thought the law didn't apply to them (it's pretty clear on the VWP stuff that AOSing isn't permitted).

Even if you ignore the AOS stuff, he broke the VWP laws by overstaying. His 90 day clock doesn't really "stop" until he's had his greencard approved. He's paused yes, but his AOS was denied and therefore the overstay time counted. I know that if my AOS isn't approved (and I came over on a K1), then any time past my I-94 date counts as overstay. My clock isn't really paused, it just won't matter when my AOS is approved. I also know that I can't apply for AP if I'm passed 6 months from my I-94 expiration (even with AOS pending) or if it's approved after that 6 months deadline, because if I leave the country then I get a ban. If the clock really WAS paused then that 6 month thing wouldn't matter... Until the GC is approved nothing is certain. His GC wasn't approved because they didn't submit the right paperwork therefore he had overstayed his time and was deportable.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

"In practice, however, a more lenient law has long governed the way immigration authorities treat foreigners who marry American citizens: Even if they overstayed, as long as they originally entered the country legally, they had been allowed to “adjust” their status to permanent resident."

My reading of this is that, yes, it could affect anyone, regardless of the circumstances of the overstay. I hope that my understanding of this part is not true. I subscribe to a newsletter from a firm that reports on topics like this, if they have anything pertinent to this story in the next one, I will report back.

USCIS didn't "stuff up" by issuing an EAD to this gentleman. It's an interim benefit derivative of the I-485 and has nothing to do with the I-130.

And the clock for accruing overstay time IS stopped while a petition is in adjudication and the applicant remains in the US. For every applicant. Based on the outcome of the petition though, the clock can be 're-wound'.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

USCIS is the one who needs to be hold accountable here. Sorry. That is what this is about. It's not like they forgot a form, ignored everything else, and just didn't care enough about it.

This is about 2 presumptuous people that think that only because they have PHds (and probably because they are white and Christian) they can get around the Law. I think it's pretty clear that you CAN marry a USC of course but you have to take certain routes. They are long, expensive, sometimes I feel they are unfair, but you are moving to a new country so you want to respect the laws, right? the scope of a TOURIST visa is to be a TOURIST. Not to get married. I know sometimes stuff happens and people do get married on a tourist visa, but these people obviously wanted the shortcut, and they got screwed. It's sad, but the USCIS had all the elements for deportation.

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yay ! He's leaving the country ! My tax dollars at work! (and yours)

Go TeamUSA !!!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Last two posts split off to form separate topic on "Tax Dollars and Illegal Aliens" in Off Topic Forum here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topicso/256734-taxes-dollars-and-illegal-aliens/ so as not to derail this thread with a separate issue

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.