Sven

Strict Reading of Visa Rule Trips Up More Couples

48 posts in this topic

I just read this story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/15/nyregion/15visa.html

Honestly, I don't see what they did wrong. They refiled the papers after the advice of an immigration officer, they had already sent him the working permit ( since when do they do that when there's an error in hte paperwork? No RFE? , and they had their immigration interview, where they were told something went wrong..uhh why did thehy schedule an interview in the first place then?? They did not realize all the time that they forgot to file the I-130. And after they were told this, they refiled again. And THEN they came and detained him? After everything that already took place? :blink: I could understand them doing it when a couple ignores everything etc. But they filed twice, went to the interview etc. This should not have happened.

Well, I just thought this was an interesting story. Be careful when you file!

Edited by Sven

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm pretty sure it states on the USCIS website that if you're filing for a spouse from inside the US you have to file both the I-130 and the I-485. So, the info's there without even having to work just a little bit harder by googling.

Why is their story news?

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Honestly, I don't see what they did wrong.

For starters, they were taking a risk by marrying and adjusting from VWP. Then they hired a poor attorney if he didn't even know the procedure when both persons are already in the US. And how could two PhD candidates not find Visa Journey???

I'm pretty sure it states on the USCIS website that if you're filing for a spouse from inside the US you have to file both the I-130 and the I-485. So, the info's there without even having to work just a little bit harder by googling.

The info is indeed explained on the USCIS website. These are two highly educated people who didn't do their homework. It is sad for them.

Why is their story news?

My guess is because he is a white-skinned, theology student hanging out in an Ivy League educational setting and not the stereotypical brown skinned immigrant.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

So they used the VWP to get around doing the immigration visa route, and didn't follow the instructions for AOS.

They also didn't see that VWP gives up the right to appeal.

They also were married outside the US, and returned on the VWP to process the paperwork...

I guess they should of came here for information.

They played with fire and got burned.

For starters, they were taking a risk by marrying and adjusting from VWP. Then they hired a poor attorney if he didn't even know the procedure when both persons are already in the US. And how could two PhD candidates not find Visa Journey???

The info is indeed explained on the USCIS website. These are two highly educated people who didn't do their homework. It is sad for them.

My guess is because he is a white-skinned, theology student hanging out in an Ivy League educational setting and not the stereotypical brown skinned immigrant.

Exactly right

“It’s crazy,” he said, adding that it might provoke a public outcry, because “it’s going to affect a lot of white people, too, not just brown people.”

I am white, and I don't think this provokes any type of outcry - they tried to get around the rules and got caught by their own stupidity - no problem with me...

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I actually have a hard time feeling bad for this couple.

It sounds like they were trying to 'legally' circumvent the system by utilizing the VWP to avoid separation time. It certainly doesn't sound like they just suddenly decided to get married. I suppose they dated, decided to be together, did a little research and decided to take the 'easy VWP adjustment way' instead of him leaving the country for the K-1 process. In fact, I think that because they had an long-established relationship, and he was a frequent user of the VWP, there was a chance it would have been lablelled fraud anyways.

It's too bad they hadn't asked on VJ for advice. I'm sure they would have been told the 'easy way' isn't worth the risk.

And now I'm sure that because they are white and educated, some Senator will step in and make it all better for them.

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

I don't like this racist talk. So why don't you jsut knock it off. Substitute black and white, and you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, the USCIS issued them the working permit AND invited them for an interview. At the interview they told them something was wrong ( umm, way too late now. Tell them BEFORE you invite them to the interview). And then they foloowed the advice of this USCIS and did everything he told them to. This is USCIS's fault.

Edited by Sven

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I found this interesting:

"Under the appeals court’s decision, the larger issue remains. In the Third Circuit, Citizenship and Immigration Services will no longer approve green cards based on marriage if the application is made more than 90 days after the foreign spouse entered on a visa waiver, officials said".

I found this interesting:

"Under the appeals court’s decision, the larger issue remains. In the Third Circuit, Citizenship and Immigration Services will no longer approve green cards based on marriage if the application is made more than 90 days after the foreign spouse entered on a visa waiver, officials said".

I think that is the take away I got from this story, that things have changed with regard to marriage and what marriage to a USC will nullify.

Whether they did things right or wrong in the details, they did things right in that they married, paid the fees, filed the paperwork as best they could, tried to do things right. That is the main point of this story, is that things have changed. And, regarding getting educated through a site such as VisaJourney, yes, I found the site a few months ago when removing conditions, but I didn't find it earlier on, and I virtually live on the web and make my living from it, so I am guessing other savvy people might be in the same boat, lacking information, and doing all of this for the very first time. I think we need to have a bit more compassion for people who are on the same road as we are.

Edited by cappucino

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

"After their wedding, they visited his parents, returned to the United States in August and filed his immigration paperwork in September, which should have stopped the 90-day clock. "

This part, if he was truthful at his POE when entering (telling the CO at POE that he was entering the US with his wife and then adjusting his status) should have resulted in them not even letting him in... Or am I reading it wrong?

April 2007 : Met
07/28/07 : Officialy dating
06/07/09 : Engaged
09/04/09 : Married

10/06/09 : I-130 Sent
10/15/09 : NOA1
01/11/10 : Expedite Request Sent Through Congressman
01/14/10 : NOA2

01/22/10 : Got NVC casenumber
03/16/10 : Case Complete

05/04/10 : Medical
05/11/10 : Interview - APPROVED!!
05/14/10 : Passport w/ Visa recieved

05/29/10 : POE JFK
06/25/10 : Apply for SSN
06/29/10 : Received Welcome Letter
07/01/10 : Recieved SSN (33 days after POE)
07/07/10 : Greencard production ordered
07/13/10 : Second Welcome Letter recieved
07/15/10 : Green Card recieved (47 days after POE)

04/02/12 : ROC NOA1
05/24/12 : ROC Biometrics
12/19/12 : ROC Approval
12/24/12 : New GC recieved

3/18/16 : N-400 Application sent
3/25/16 : Text/Email confirmation NOA
4/22/16 : Biometrics Appt

6/24/16 : NOA date for Interview

7/28/2016: Interview

Filed: Other Timeline
:crying:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

tsk tsk tsk...unsure.gifThe lesson in here is that everyone should not depend on immigration attorneys coz they're also humans who can make mistakes.headbonk.gifKnowledge is power.Plain and simple.blush.gif

♥Timeline♥

AOS

03-11-2011: mailed AOS packet

03-14-2011: AOS packet received

04-16-11:USCIS lost our I485 forms thus received EAD rejection notice

04-18-11: mailed AOS packet AGAIN

04-19-11:AOS packet received by S. Bush

04-29-11: NOA1 hardcopies for I485 and I765 received :)

05-12-11:Successful walk in biometrics

05-25-11:email notification received stating interview on 6/24

05-27-11:hardcopy for interview received

06-24-11:done with interview.no approval yet

06-25-11: received EAD card

06-29-11:email received AOS approved and green card is on its way! yay! :)

96050467.png

heart_emo.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

i feel sorry for them.. i hope the can fix the issue.. but the law is law... maybe thru appeals they can get this fixed.. the 10 day in jail is no big deal.. you did make a mistake.. you will have to live with it.. if anything it makes it look like the goverment overreacted.. which would help you cause.. i would wanted them to keep me in jail for longer.. had people protesting ourside the jail.. got more media coverage..

its easy to demonize the american immigration process.. but we accept more immigrants then any country in to world..

how easy would it be for her to move to england.. and she is a american.. what about people for 3rd world countries.. they dont have a shot in the world..

where is the visajourney.co.uk site?

Filed: Country:
Timeline

They entered the US already married with the intent for him to AOS, FRAUD!!!

Took a risk and got the bad end of it, that's what happens sometimes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.