princess1

want to file for divorce...

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
thats it. look like the end. after 3 years of marrige.

he hurt me like no other man before. cheated and also try to apply for credit cards in my name.

cant take it no more! but its still feel sad.

i wanted to ask you people what happen if i file for divorce right now. i just got my 10 year GC two weeks ago.

if i file for divorce right now it can affect my status? can they take my GC?

thanks for your help.

Well you are safe! Got your 10 year GC 2 weeks ago and bailing out on your mate.

Welcome to the US!!~ :innocent:

Sorry but your timing is TO perfect!

Grow up...

I think he can't be, he's too old for that. :innocent: to the o.p. I am sorry of what you go through.

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
OP, keep any evidence of the attempt to file for credit cards in your name. the cheating stuff is nasty, but it's no longer a criminal offense, so forget it and move on. too bad you had to tolerate this kind of behaviour for long enough to get the 10 year, but if the guy was getting cards in your nameithout your knowledge, i don't blame you for walking out now, or for waiting long enough to profit by it.

Wouldn't dismiss forgeting the cheating so quickly. If she can prove in court that he slept with someone else while still sleeping with her, she can request (as part of the divorce settlement) he pay for her healthcare for some period of time subsequent to the divorce as he as potentially jeopardized her health by his actions.

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If we all put ourselves into the OP's shoes.... wouldn't we do the same thing.

Assume she entered into the marriage with good intent, intending to have a long life with her spouse, until she finds out that he has cheated on her and tried to get credit cards in her name.

You have now settled into life in the U.S. and don't really want to leave, but you can no longer stay married to your spouse.

Wouldn't you too wait until after you got your GC so that you have the choice about whether to stay in the U.S. or leave, especially when it wasn't your fault that the marriage didn't work out????

I think SO.

Edited by raymaga

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Congratulations on the green card...good luck with the divorce!!

Dont worry about the confusion I 80 goes east and west across the united states (northern route) (NYC to San francisco)

I think I 40 is the southern route

35 is mid section North and south (Minneapolis to Dallas)

what?? I was told to play nice when I come a visitn to Vj!!

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Dont worry about the confusion I 80 goes east and west across the united states (northern route) (NYC to San francisco)

I think I 40 is the southern route

35 is mid section North and south (Minneapolis to Dallas)

what?? I was told to play nice when I come a visitn to Vj!!

Huh?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

he hurt me like no other man before. cheated and also try to apply for credit cards in my name.

i wanted to ask you people what happen if i file for divorce right now. i just got my 10 year GC two weeks ago.

thanks for your help.

Well you are safe! Got your 10 year GC 2 weeks ago and bailing out on your mate.

:thumbs::thumbs: I have to agree with you Haole. After the op got the green card then all of a sudden she can't take it anymore. Whatever happen to marriage counseling?

إله الخير المغرب بلد جميل! Hasbunallah wa ni'am al-wakil Tawkkalna Alay Allah

Filed: Other Timeline

thanks for your help.

:thumbs::thumbs: I have to agree with you Haole. After the op got the green card then all of a sudden she can't take it anymore. Whatever happen to marriage counseling?

I agree,,,counseling is neccesary if the o.p. still love her husband...why just she gave up too easily?? perhaps her husband is just really abusived in the first place?

edit: anyhow, seeing a counselor it does mean they will solve thier issue but it helps to clear thier mind on what they suppose to do either they still love each other, or do they can give forgivess to each other.

Edited by lotus101

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
OP, keep any evidence of the attempt to file for credit cards in your name. the cheating stuff is nasty, but it's no longer a criminal offense, so forget it and move on. too bad you had to tolerate this kind of behaviour for long enough to get the 10 year, but if the guy was getting cards in your nameithout your knowledge, i don't blame you for walking out now, or for waiting long enough to profit by it.

Wouldn't dismiss forgeting the cheating so quickly. If she can prove in court that he slept with someone else while still sleeping with her, she can request (as part of the divorce settlement) he pay for her healthcare for some period of time subsequent to the divorce as he as potentially jeopardized her health by his actions.

justashooter makes valid point, though. While adultery is valid grounds for divorce in many states, it isn't a crime. Since she lives in Georgia she can use adultery as grounds for divorce. A few simple tests would confirm whether or not he actually infected her with an STD. Regardless, she has a pretty good chance of getting continued healthcare as part of her spousal support settlement, since she would be seeking the divorce for fault. What she is able to get in terms of a settlement is going to depend on his ability to pay. I suspect his financial condition is not too good, if he has to use her name to obtain a credit card. If I were in her shoes, I'd probably be more interested in seeing that the settlement relieves her of any responsibility for debts acquired during the marriage.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

TOO bad your spelling isn't as perfect.

If you can't differentiate between "to" and "too", perhaps you should avoid crititcizing others. Original "TO"was perfect, yours "TOO" is not so...

Has VJ seriously gotten down to this level? Let's no longer criticize grammar (especially when your criticism is incorrect, Tygrys) or the OP - just answer the question.

To the OP, it appears that your immigration status is safe and I'm sorry you are going through this. (F)

MR. & MRS. CACEREZ

K-1 Process

10.23.08 - sent K1 packet

10.29.08 - NOA1

02.19.09 - NOA2 113 days, Igor's #226

04.13.09 - Interview, Visa in hand next day

04.19.09 - POE Atlanta

04.20.09 - Married!

AOS Process

06.09.09 - sent AOS,EAD,AP packet

06.17.09 - NOAs issued

06.24.09 - Biometrics done (3 weeks earlier than appt date)

07.03.09 - received RFE for I-693 (dated 6.29, responded 7.07)

07.23.09 - transferred to CSC (received letter 7.27)

07.29.09 - EAD Card Production Ordered & AP Approved

11.23.09 - AOS touched - card production ordered & welcome letter sent - 13 months exactly after initially applying for K-1!

12.03.09 - GC arrived in mail

Removal of Conditions Process

07.28.11 - received reminder letter from USCIS to remove conditions before 11.18.11

09.28.11 - mailed I-751 packet

10.03.11 - NOA

10.05.11 - check cashed

11.25.11 - Biometrics

07.24.12 - GC approved!

08.01.12 - GC arrived in mail

Citizenship Process

12.16.16 - sent N400 packet

12.23.16 - NOA issued

01.27.17 - Biometrics done

02.01.17 - put in line for interview

03.15.17 - scheduled for an interview on 04.21.17, had to write a letter asking for a reschedule because we will be out of the country

03.31.17 - scheduled for an interview again

05.09.17 - Interview!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

thanks for your help.

No effect in your status. In a few years you can apply for US Citizenship and you're all set. Leave that turbulent life behind you and start anew. Good luck.

- LB

Stay tune for yet another immi-saga in the life of LB & JD. Coming soon ---> AOS Chronicles

thanks for your help.

thank you for the kind words (F)

thanks for your help.

Grow up...

I think he can't be, he's too old for that. :innocent: to the o.p. I am sorry of what you go through.

Not worth a comment!

:ot2:

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.