25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, im not sure where to post this, but a friend came to me for help and im turning to the VJ community for help. in short, my friend married this guy from Argentine, he was in the USA illegally. they had a brief courtship and were married for 5 years. His stort changed over time- 1st he wants kids and a house and then later he didnt. Was spending less and less time with his wife and stepdaughter. She complains they were only intimate once or twice a month and only when he wanted to. This girl is attractive, wouldnt have any problem getting a guy, by the way. He kept control of the mail and had a seperate bank account- h ehas a good paying job also. She found texts to a girl sent around midnite on his phone. She confronted him about it. They got into an argument and he abused her. She took photos of the bruises and he was arrested. spent a night in jail and had a restraining order against him. Yesterday , she told me she got served divorce papers. He already has permanent residency. What can she do? i dont think he can be deported at this stage. i told her to contact ICE and get a lawyer. if she cant send him back to South America , at least she might be able to get alimony...anyone have any thoughts i can pass on to her to help her? it reallt appears that he used her....what a #@%&)!!!

Divorce matters to be dealt with the family court - make sure she gets her hands on his pay stubs so she gets the right amount of alimony.

Immigration-wise, nothing she can do - he has permanent residency and she is bound by I-864 until he dies, gets citizenship, accumulates 40 quarters of work (10 yrs) or permanently leaves the country.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Timeline

a 5 year marriage is typically not the norm for individuals that enter marriage just to secure permanent residency. I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen, but it's not the usual MO for an alien who has ulterior motives in mind.

Hi, im not sure where to post this, but a friend came to me for help and im turning to the VJ community for help. in short, my friend married this guy from Argentine, he was in the USA illegally. they had a brief courtship and were married for 5 years. His stort changed over time- 1st he wants kids and a house and then later he didnt. Was spending less and less time with his wife and stepdaughter. She complains they were only intimate once or twice a month and only when he wanted to. This girl is attractive, wouldnt have any problem getting a guy, by the way. He kept control of the mail and had a seperate bank account- h ehas a good paying job also. She found texts to a girl sent around midnite on his phone. She confronted him about it. They got into an argument and he abused her. She took photos of the bruises and he was arrested. spent a night in jail and had a restraining order against him. Yesterday , she told me she got served divorce papers. He already has permanent residency. What can she do? i dont think he can be deported at this stage. i told her to contact ICE and get a lawyer. if she cant send him back to South America , at least she might be able to get alimony...anyone have any thoughts i can pass on to her to help her? it reallt appears that he used her....what a #@%&)!!!

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

He doesn't sound like a very nice person, but if he was only after her for the green card, he would not have stayed 5 years.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I have to agree with the others that a 5yr marriage is not typical for someone using for LPR. Regardless, Im so sorry that happened to your friend. (F)

There is nothing she can do immi-wise.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What did he do to get residency? You stated that he was illegal in the onset.. what changed aside from being married?

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
What did he do to get residency? You stated that he was illegal in the onset.. what changed aside from being married?

OP stated marriage. That would gain forgiveness of overstay. After that they would have done AOS.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My understanding of the USCIS is that if you are in this country illeaglly, you must retuurn to your home land and applu for a K3 to be married,,That is assuming they waive the 10 year ban, What kind of wedding and, divorce did they have (was it official) ?..

APPROVED, NOTHING COMPLICATE!!!!! GOOD LUCK.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
My understanding of the USCIS is that if you are in this country illeaglly, you must retuurn to your home land and applu for a K3 to be married,,That is assuming they waive the 10 year ban, What kind of wedding and, divorce did they have (was it official) ?..

There are specific regulations that deal with spousal abuse and the victim is treated in a different manner.

lolfs.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Who cares about immigration? If this guy is beating up the woman she needs to get the hell out of the relationship and get away from him, which is what seems to be happening. His loss.

Edited by Mike B.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Sounds like a case of "life happens". Things didn't work out. Get on with it. After five years of marriage, it's not an immigration matter.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sounds like a case of "life happens". Things didn't work out. Get on with it. After five years of marriage, it's not an immigration matter.

A bit harsh, but true. Divorce the guy & squeeze every penney out of him... if he is half the jerk you paint him to be he deserves it.

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

I would like to say that every marriage has a 50/50 per cents rate of success. Nobody can tell at the begining how long will last their family together unfortunately..... but at the same time everyone gives it a chance with the hope that this is the only time in life. During the years people are changing, the character, the habits, emotions, LOVE ......

This is what happens to this family here too......

maybe it's not even the end yet.....maybe he just got distracted for another woman...but it can be temporary.....

Did you ever try discuss in detail what is really going on with him? Did you try save your marriage (if you still care about him and want him in your life)?

If he really started a relationship with someone else......try to just get over it and take care of your life.....

I know how terrible feeling is that but revenge wont help you feel better

It really doesnt seem to be a marriage just for papers......unless you felt it from the begining.

Good luck

ROC

01/13/2012 - package delivered at CSC

01/17/2012 - check cashed

--/--/---- - NOA1

01/25/2012 - Bio Letter received (dated 01/20)

02/03/2012 - Biometrics Appointment done

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Yeah the guy is just a f7&kn boludo :lol: ! . Sorry for your friend but tell her she is not the only one and that she can get over it!.

Our Timeline:

11/1999 - We met in Ecuador

02/05/00 - Relationship started

09/08/06 - Engaged & Pregnant!

03/13/08 - I filed for Citizenship

07/22/08 - Became US Citizen

08/02/08 - I-129F sent

08/13/08 - Case received by VSC

08/16/08 - NOA1

08/18/08 - Touched

12/18/08 - Touched again exactly 4 mos. after 1st touch!

12/18/08 - Noa2 @ 3PM-Gracias Dios Mio!

12/24/08 - NVC sent pckg. 3 to Embassy

01/02/09 - Pckg 3 rcvd. by Embassy

01/09/09 - Pckg 3 from Embassy received by beneficiary

02/09/09 - Medical exam

02/16/09 - Sent back checklist and docs required by embassy.

03/13/09 - We will fly to see Daddy Gary

03/16/09 - 1 PM Interview (Pray God he gets visa)

03/16/09 - 5PM INTERVIEW PASSED WOOHOO. Thank God.

03/25/09 - Visa on hand! he went to DHL office after phone call received.

04/18/09 - My Cuchi came, (NYC)a wonderful unbelievable moment!:)

04/20/09 - We applied for marriage licence. (Township Municipal Bldg Health Dept.)

04/23/09 - Licence on hand

04/29/09 - Applied for Social Security (He was in system!)

04/30/09 - Wedding day!!! Yeeebaa

05/07/09 - SS card in mail. "valid for work only with DHS authorization"

05/13/09 - Sent AOS paperwork.

06/16/09 - Biometrics Apptmt.

06/25/09 - EAD Card in mail!

06/26/09 - Letter saying case transfered to Cali.

08/08/09 - Residence Card in Mail! Yuuupiiiiiii.

THE END FOR 2 MORE YEARS.

I don´t need patience if I have love. Ah I que Viva mi Guayaquil Carajo!

-Cuchita-

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

Thanks for all the input. I tend to agree with most of the posts. nothing she can really do as far as immigration except maybe try to stop him from getting citizenship [ thats what an immigration attorney told her ] but im not sure how she can do that.....and i agree that 5 years was a long time to wait if all he wanted was the papers, BUT maybe that was his plan to make it look like it was a real marriage and he was waiting to make sure he had this good paying job....i dont know, just speculating. my advice was to divorce him and hit him where it hurts- the wallet! im sorry i didnt have more info to post about this but she dropped this in my lap 2 weeks ago and we just spoke again 2 nights ago. I feel bad for her but i told her the best thing to do was to get this done and over and get past it and be more careful next time. live and learn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.