one...two...tree

Prejudice Towards Foreigners

Foreign Spouse: Have you experienced being mistreated while here in America?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Foreign Spouse: Have you experienced being mistreated while here in America?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm the USC
  2. 2. USC: Are you aware of your foreign spouse ever being mistreated here in America?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm the Foreign Spouse
  3. 3. Which of the following do you think are mostly accurate. (multiple choice)

• There seems to be a backlash towards foreigners in general because of illegal immigration.
    • There seems to be a lot of discontent toward foreigners and not quite sure why.
    • There seems to be a lot of Americans fed up over illegal immigration and some of that spills over into how they treat all foreigners.
    • Some people are just rude and obnoxious so you can never really tell if they are prejudice towards foreigners
    • None of the above.

98 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Quite a few people tell me I don't look latinamerican and expect me to be flattered.

yea.. it has happened to me... Oh really?? you don't look Mexican!!! you look 'spanish' (whatever that means, I certainly don't look very Iberian or Andalusian)

Oh my god, I hate that #######!!! As if there was such a thing as "looking Mexican" (stereotype, much???) and if it was, I should be so freaking ashamed of it. Screw'em.- They need to get out more.

Tell them you are a Visigoth. :P

I tell them I'm a Magyar

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

My husband is Black, and I live in a part of the country where more than a third of the population is Black, so no one recognizes that he is foreign unless he opens his mouth or is wearing a dashiki. When he starts talking, people get very curious. So far, we've experienced no negative reactions, only a lot of curiosity. On the other hand, in China where people would try to rub some black off his skin, he would get steamed about comments people would make thinking he couldn't understand.

I think I encountered a lot more animosity as an American living in Europe than my husband will ever experience as a foreigner living in America.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Its not other people having a problem with us....we sometimes have a problem with them. :lol: You really cant tell my wife is from anywhere else. She has nearly zero accent.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Fortunately, I, myself have not encountered any prejudices against me. Perhaps it's because I've yet to visit a town that was predominantly "textbook" "American" (if I may say so). I feel as though I've always been treated with fairness. Hopefully I am not speaking too soon. :)

I posted a question on a separate thread regarding being stopped for traffic violations and the question of "nationality". Is it STANDARD PROCEDURE to ask for ones nationality in such situations? My husband (born USC) was asked what his nationality was and I was taken aback since it seemed (at least to me) quite irrelevant to the situation. Then again, what do I know? Granted it was standard police query, I was wondering if the patrol officer would have asked that same question if he had a more anglo-saxon name and physique? Or if everyone in car looked more, uhm, "Uncle Sam"?

25 January 2010: Concurrent filing of I-130, I-485, EAD and AP - sent via UPS overnight delivery to Chicago Lockbox

26 January 2010: Received by receptionist CHIBA at 8:30 AM/Received date on NOA

02 February 2010: Checked cashed/Notice date

05 February 2010: Received NOA's for I-130,I-485,I-131,I-130

13 February 2010: Received ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics.

17 February 2010: Date of RFE for Federal Tax 1040/Received Text & Email confirmation

19 February 2010: Received RFE in mail

22 February 2010: Mailed Response to RFE via USPS Express mail

24 February 2010: Package delivered and received at Lee's Summit office

26 February 2010: Biometrics DONE/RFE Received-case processing resumed

17 March 2010: Email approval notifications - EAD & AP.

22 March 2010: Received AP by mail. Received interview schedule notice for 22 April.

22 April 2010: Greencard Approved :)

Removal of Conditions

24 January 2012: Sent I-751 petition via USPS Overnight

25 January 2012: Delivered at CSC, Receipt Date NOA1

27 January 2012: Checked cashed

30 January 2012: Received NOA in mail.

06 February 2012: Received Biometrics notice (dated 03 Feb)

02 March 2012: Biometrics appointment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

havent encountered any prejudices against me...they are just asking me where i am from...and complement my accent:)

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am called a stupid haole, fcuking haole, dumb haole at least once a day. Has nothing to do with me being a foreigner. They just really hate white people on the Big Island.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
I am called a stupid haole, fcuking haole, dumb haole at least once a day. Has nothing to do with me being a foreigner. They just really hate white people on the Big Island.

:whistle:

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Not in the US yet, so I can't vote...but we did experience prejudice as a couple in Egypt.. It was bad and embarrassing...

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I live in Puerto Rico so I get zero prejudice here. People are always super excited to meet a Brazilian, and most time they only ask after they hear my accent. On a couple of occasions though older people have asked if I am Spanish even before I talked, and I thought it was so cool they'd recognize my heritage (2/3 of my ascendants were from Spain).

I do know boricuas suffer a lot of prejudice either 'cus americans think they're illegal immigrants, or 'cus they think they are freeloaders (when they know they're US citizens then the prejudice is 'cus boricuas don't pay Federal Taxes, but then again they do if they're living in the continent).

I expect to have to put up with prejudice once Luis and I get moved to a base in US.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

• 4 weeks later...

I think the choices in the first question make an inaccurate assumption,

that only a foreign person can be a victim of prejudice.

I was a victim of prejudice when in school as there were 2 very polarized

groups there (one being a national background and the other being a

religious affiliation). I, on the other hand was a member of neither of those

so I got treated as an outsider at least and a subject of harassment at worst.

Currently two of my best friends are from each of those groups, so I have no

residual hard feelings. However, it did make me gravitate toward actual

foreigners when I chose friends and close relationships, because I never

felt like a member of the area where I grew up.

That's why I answered "yes" to question 1 and "no" to question 2,

as I don't think my foreign-born spouse has experienced much if any

prejudice. The immigration official at the POE may have been a bit

gruff, but I'm talking about name-calling or another such behavior

that is not good manners.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I don't think my wife (fiancee)… A tall (for China), leggy, beautiful Asian girl is going to get to much negative racism targeted toward her.. I am however expecting her to get a lot of sexually targeted harassment or to be stereotyped and objectified a lot in that way..

I'm not happy about that.. I mean.. sexually objectifying my wife is MY job!!! LOL..

The funny (dangerous?) thing is she doesn't really know when its going on at first.. In GZ some white guy came up to her and asked her the time.. but he was holding his cell phone and then asked her QQ and her email..

She just told him the time, gave him her QQ and sort of blew him off.. and her friend had to tell her the guy was trying to pick her up. She was like, Everybody with a cell phone knows the time silly… he just was trying to talk to you.. She had no idea and then ended up having to block him from QQ when he kept trying to get a date. She told me every Chinese woman thinks you can't say no to foreign people because you must be nice and they might need help..

LOL… I had to explain all about the ways we start up silly conversations just to get an excuse to ask for a number and that its just to get dates etc.. She really is clueless about these things.. Im going to have to send her out with my hot coworker to teach her how to shoot guys down.

She also doesn't believe she's that attractive (which I LOVE about her..) She knows in her head that Western guys like her style.. but she's so used to not being so attractive to Chinese because she's too tall and a little dark ("a few black") and smiles too big etc.. That she doesn't realize when just being friendly and allowing herself to get into a conversation is leading them on. She caused two friends to get into a fight over her when she was in GZ for her interview, LOL.. Im just looking for trouble marrying such a gorgeous girl!!

But I'm a lot more worried about our 3 year old (I'm not his biological father but he doesn't remember him so he THINKS I am and calls me Baba). He will be growing up a Chinese boy in a mostly white area in Western Michigan.. He might have a hard time getting dates and fitting in. Im going to try getting him into team sports like soccer where he can become friends with his teammates and get some confidence.. Sports where physical size isn't so important. But I'm worried about him. Anybody have any other ideas on that situation with kids? He's so young Im hoping to raise him so he feels like he fits in.. Spend a lot of time with his 3 little white cousins etc..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think my wife (fiancee)… A tall (for China), leggy, beautiful Asian girl is going to get to much negative racism targeted toward her.. I am however expecting her to get a lot of sexually targeted harassment or to be stereotyped and objectified a lot in that way..

I'm not happy about that.. I mean.. sexually objectifying my wife is MY job!!! LOL..

The funny (dangerous?) thing is she doesn't really know when its going on at first.. In GZ some white guy came up to her and asked her the time.. but he was holding his cell phone and then asked her QQ and her email..

She just told him the time, gave him her QQ and sort of blew him off.. and her friend had to tell her the guy was trying to pick her up. She was like, Everybody with a cell phone knows the time silly… he just was trying to talk to you.. She had no idea and then ended up having to block him from QQ when he kept trying to get a date. She told me every Chinese woman thinks you can't say no to foreign people because you must be nice and they might need help..

LOL… I had to explain all about the ways we start up silly conversations just to get an excuse to ask for a number and that its just to get dates etc.. She really is clueless about these things.. Im going to have to send her out with my hot coworker to teach her how to shoot guys down.

She also doesn't believe she's that attractive (which I LOVE about her..) She knows in her head that Western guys like her style.. but she's so used to not being so attractive to Chinese because she's too tall and a little dark ("a few black") and smiles too big etc.. That she doesn't realize when just being friendly and allowing herself to get into a conversation is leading them on. She caused two friends to get into a fight over her when she was in GZ for her interview, LOL.. Im just looking for trouble marrying such a gorgeous girl!!

But I'm a lot more worried about our 3 year old (I'm not his biological father but he doesn't remember him so he THINKS I am and calls me Baba). He will be growing up a Chinese boy in a mostly white area in Western Michigan.. He might have a hard time getting dates and fitting in. Im going to try getting him into team sports like soccer where he can become friends with his teammates and get some confidence.. Sports where physical size isn't so important. But I'm worried about him. Anybody have any other ideas on that situation with kids? He's so young Im hoping to raise him so he feels like he fits in.. Spend a lot of time with his 3 little white cousins etc..

I live in the same area that you live. I think it could depend on where he goes to school. If he goes to school in the GR Public Schools, you might consider looking around for the best fit for him in terms of the school population. From what I have read, Michigan is one of the most segregated parts of the country, by income and race. The fact that he will be so young, I think he will grow up feeling American and probably not have the kinds of problems you imagine. I am a teacher, and I work as a substitute in the Kent County area, so I have been in a lot of different schools.

Edited by Golden Gate

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28