one...two...tree

Prejudice Towards Foreigners

Foreign Spouse: Have you experienced being mistreated while here in America?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Foreign Spouse: Have you experienced being mistreated while here in America?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm the USC
  2. 2. USC: Are you aware of your foreign spouse ever being mistreated here in America?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm the Foreign Spouse
  3. 3. Which of the following do you think are mostly accurate. (multiple choice)

• There seems to be a backlash towards foreigners in general because of illegal immigration.
    • There seems to be a lot of discontent toward foreigners and not quite sure why.
    • There seems to be a lot of Americans fed up over illegal immigration and some of that spills over into how they treat all foreigners.
    • Some people are just rude and obnoxious so you can never really tell if they are prejudice towards foreigners
    • None of the above.

98 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
the other day hubby and I were at Superior in the check out line.. and I see the cashier looking at me and then she asks, "Do you live in the area?" and I am like yes and then she asks, "Do you shop here often?" and I am like yes... :lol: she wasn't being mean or anything just curiuos and I wasn't offended or anything..

because you see mostly Mexicans shop at that store at least in that area.. I must have looked out of place :lol:

in some parts seeing a white person is like spotting elvis.

I used to feel uncomfortable being basically the only white person whenever I go to stores etc.. but I don't anymore...

Yeah, being a minority is easy to get used to as long as people treat you right.

yeah people don't treat me bad or anything.. they just might look at me a little longer :lol:

This happened to me a lot when I was in Brazil. I'm tall, very pale, and blonde....so I stuck out like a sore thumb in the north of Brazil. People would stare at me, especially when I was with my dark skinned man. I got used to it...

When I spoke English in public (with a friend) people would REALLY look, but often smile.

Some people don't mistreat you, they are just curious so they treat you differently.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I lived (and will shortly live again) in a small, rural, one horse town in Southern Illinois, where you're considered an outsider if you're from another town, let alone another country. Suffice to say I've had to put up with a fair amount of #######. I get called a "faggit" a lot by some of the local good 'ol boys, but I put this down to the fact that their wives/girlfriends are very taken with my accent, and aren't shy in telling me so. B)

Bootylicious also makes a good point re having to behave yourself in the capacity of a proposed new immigrant. Stuff you'd not usually put up with you have to try and ignore in that situation. As long as it's not taken too far (i.e. someone physically assualts you) then I can't say I'm too bothered by it.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Quite a few people tell me I don't look latinamerican and expect me to be flattered.

yea.. it has happened to me... Oh really?? you don't look Mexican!!! you look 'spanish' (whatever that means, I certainly don't look very Iberian or Andalusian)

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Quite a few people tell me I don't look latinamerican and expect me to be flattered.

yea.. it has happened to me... Oh really?? you don't look Mexican!!! you look 'spanish' (whatever that means, I certainly don't look very Iberian or Andalusian)

That's OK, I'm whiter than white and speak spanish fluently with a Puerto Rican accent because I lived there with family so everytime that happens people want to know where I am from, and I say NY (I am all mixed up on both sides of my family, so it's just easier to say NY). They say NOOO, where are your parents from, and I say "New YORK" and they say, no.... what nationality are you?

Like it's not enough that I'm a bilingual New Yorker, I have to explain to them my whole family history.

Sometimes I get the people saying mean things about latinos (thinking all are illegal immigrants) in front of me thinking that I think like them or that I have no hispanic heritage and I get very offended because:

#1 I have family in Puerto Rico, and little do the ignorant people know, Puerto Rico is a part of the US and they can come and go as they please!!! #2 my fiancee is going to be an "immigrant" pretty soon and #3 all Americans are "immigrants" in some way shape or form, except for the native americans and #4 it's just plain mean!!!

I have two kids from a previous relationship, their father just happens to be Puerto Rican and my kids look more like him than me, LOL. Someone made a comment about my sons because I had a picture of them hanging up on the wall at work and they said "who's kids are these? they look mexican, we dont have any mexicans working here" I was right there and said, "they're mine" Ignorant lady.

Sometimes even I get the opposite, here's a scenario:

I used to work in Home Depot at customer service. A man and his wife that spoke spanish came to try to return something (a flood pump) and they told me in english that it was broken and then told each other in spanish different things like "we dont need it anymore" and "tell her it doesnt work so we can get the money back" etc. I didn't say anything I just returned the pump, but when the man was finished signing the receipt he asked "esto es mio? "this is mine?" and I said "no, esta es mi copia, aqui esta la tuya, que ud tenga un buen dia" and he turned bright red and left the store.

so maybe he learned to never judge a book by its cover or underestimate people's abilities.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Oh my god, I hate that #######!!! As if there was such a thing as "looking Mexican" (stereotype, much???) and if it was, I should be so freaking ashamed of it. Screw'em.- They need to get out more.

Oh my god, I hate that #######!!! As if there was such a thing as "looking Mexican" (stereotype, much???) and if it was, I should be so freaking ashamed of it. Screw'em.- They need to get out more.

:thumbs: amen to my little sis len

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Tell them you are a Visigoth. :P

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
I used to work in Home Depot at customer service. A man and his wife that spoke spanish came to try to return something (a flood pump) and they told me in english that it was broken and then told each other in spanish different things like "we dont need it anymore" and "tell her it doesnt work so we can get the money back" etc. I didn't say anything I just returned the pump, but when the man was finished signing the receipt he asked "esto es mio? "this is mine?" and I said "no, esta es mi copia, aqui esta la tuya, que ud tenga un buen dia" and he turned bright red and left the store.

so maybe he learned to never judge a book by its cover or underestimate people's abilities.

:rofl:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Timeline

Tell them you are a Visigoth. :P

Naaah. I like the line "I am a narco queen" much better. Shuts them right up.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

yea.. it has happened to me... Oh really?? you don't look Mexican!

The shoe on the other foot.

I sang the wedding mass for my friends in Guadalajara, Mx as a favor to them. The groom was from the Mid-West, the bride from GDL. The groom is a typical American - he spoke only English. The bride was somewhat more bi-lingual.

I am as gringo as the day is long. My accompanist, the lady playing the organ, was the church organist and was surprised to see me. She was even more surprised to hear me sing the songs correctly as we practiced together before the Mass.

When I sang everyone was watching me instead of the priest. A common comment I got at the wedding reception was "No sabía que un americano podía hablar español." (I had no idea an American could speak Spanish.)

My reply was simply a big smile.

Si me dieran a elegir una vez más_____ Nos casamos: el 01 de Julio 2008

te elegiría sin pensarlo _______________ Una cita con una abogada para validar la info de VJ: el 24 de Agosto, 2008 (Ya ella me cree)

es que no hay nada que pensar_______ El envio del I-130: el 26 de Agosto 2008

que no existe ni motivo ni razón ______ Entregado a las 14:13 PM en el 26 de Agosto, 2008 en CHICAGO, IL. Firmado por V BUSTAMANTE.

para dudarlo ni un segundo ___________ La 1ra Notificación de Acción (NOA1): el 29 de Agosto 2008

porque tú has sido lo mejor ___________ El cheque al USCIS cobró: el 2 de Septiembre, 2008

que todo este corazón ________________ Un toque el 19 de septiembre, 2008

y que entre el cielo y tú

yo me quedo contigo

-Franco deVita

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hubby has been insulted as a "black man" but not as an immigrant.....honestly there isn't a way to tell he's Jamaican until he puts on his party clothes: white belt and white shoes. :P

Edited by Savanphil

12/03/2005: Married

10/13/2006: Interview Approved

10/26/2006: POE: EWR (ARRIVED) [/size]

182 days from filing to Visa in Hand!!![/color]

AOS/EAD

01/22/2007: Sent to The Lockbox.....let the games begin.....again

02/02/2007: NOA1's for both....the waiting game officially begins

02/15/2007: Biometrics appt.

04/11/2007: EAD APPROVED!! YI-HAW

04/21/2007: Received SSN#

05/23/2007: AOS Interview -------> APPROOOOOOVED!!!!!!

05/29/2007: Received Welcome letter

06/04/2007: Green Card in Hand!!!

122 Days from filing AOS to Green Card in Hand!!!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

05/21/2009: Filed to Remove Conditions

6/18/2009: Biometrics Done

09/14/2009: Approved!!!

Citizenship

2/15/2011: Filed N-400

3/28/2011: Biometrics <-- Done

5/09/2011: Naturalization Interview <--- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/09/2011: Swearing in Ceremony (We're Done)

MY HUSBAND IS NOW A US CITIZEN

Proudmomwife.gifI_love_my_baby_boy.gif

3051_1113026182751_1139795553_30500807_687968_s.jpgZackie.jpgthumb_3051_1113025702739_1139795553_30500806_7039703_s.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Foreigners who don't speak English well get treated worse than those who do, IMHO.

I agree.

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hubby has been insulted as a "black man" but not as an immigrant.....honestly there isn't a way to tell he's Jamaican until he puts on his party clothes: white belt and white shoes. :P

Girl PLEASE don't even mention the white shoes!! My husband has 3 pairs of white dress shoes, and I can't even count how many tennis shoes :wacko:

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL