Vinny69

Working in multiple disciplines/occupations on H1B

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Closed for review~~~

***Thread back open, the verbiage that ran afoul of the specific provision of the TOS has been cited in the previous post.  Further TOS violations will warrant Administrative Action.***

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• Ryan H locked this topic
  • Ryan H unlocked this topic
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just no.  I'm surprised that you are on your 4th H1b.  I thought there was a limitation on the number of H1b that you can renew.  I know it was up to 6 years unless you are in the process of obtaining a green card which is what happened to me.  I applied for a green card while I was renewing my H1b for 2nd term of 3 years.  But at that time, the process to obtain a green card was incredibly long (took me 4 years to get it), so I had two options - go for 3rd H1b since I am in the process or get work authorization.  We opted for Work authorization because, we assume I should be getting a green card anytime (it was third year of waiting).  And the work authorization is much cheaper than H1b.  Fortunately, at the end of my work authorization, I got my green card.  The point is - you are on H1b for one reason - which is to work for that company for a specific job title. You can't change th ejob title. I can't change my title at all while I was on H1b but my job duties changed.  Once I get my green card - my title has been changed.

Don't jeopardize your chance of getting a green card by working illegally.  To study, you can study on H1b but you are expected to work full-time at that company using your title.  You can't get paid by another company or anything.  It will jeopardize your case.  Why don't you apply for a green card?  Have your company sponsor you for a green card.  

Filed: Other Timeline

You can study while on H-1B. Modeling does not require a college degree.  I know of no reputable university that offers such a degree.

Reputable universities do not offer CPT other than as part of an established curriculum; they cannot create ony just for you.

You have a good thing going with your IT job. Don't risk it.

A green card applied and i-140 approved?

When an employer files a i-140 petition on behalf of a foreign worker, by law it's because that employer is unable to find a US worker. Shouldn't you be working for that employer that filed the PERM if they need you for that position, rather than look for work in another discipline? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

1 minute ago, WeGuyGal said:

When an employer files a i-140 petition on behalf of a foreign worker, by law it's because that employer is unable to find a US worker. Shouldn't you be working for that employer that filed the PERM if they need you for that position, rather than look for work in another discipline? 

Well, I want to continue working in that discipline, just wanted to do fashion/modeling on the side or as an alternate profession. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How long one can stay in USA on H1B visa?

The H1B visa duration is limited to 6 years. If required to come again on H1B visa, then one has to stay outside USA, for at least one year, before re-entering.You may be eligible for extension beyond 6 yrs if your green card process and your labor is pending for more then 365 days or you have applied for 485/AOS.

Since you have applied for the green card - wait until you get it, then you can work 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th job all you want to.  Right now, you can't do anything but work for the company who sponsored you.  Not sure when you applied for green card, since you're on your 4th H1b and it should be anytime that you will get your green card.  Just wait it out.

6 minutes ago, Vinny69 said:

, just wanted to do fashion/modeling on the side or as an alternate profession. 

Since you're keen on it, perhaps something in your country where you're likely to have work privileges?

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

11 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Well, this just shows up yet another loophole in the whole H1B process, right? Seen countless posts by people who dump their employers as soon as they get their green cards.  But as long as the law allows someone to change jobs or professions once they get a green card, OP can do it if s/he wants despite it not being, what, the moral approach?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are issues changing employers and obviously one reason Employers are reluctant to go through the process.

Obvious solution here is to wait until you have EAD and then you work multiple jobs.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

11 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well, this just shows up yet another loophole in the whole H1B process, right? Seen countless posts by people who dump their employers as soon as they get their green cards.  But as long as the law allows someone to change jobs or professions once they get a green card, OP can do it if s/he wants despite it not being, what, the moral approach?

Whats immoral about working in a certain profession and earning money ? I'm not going to be robbing people or commit crime as soon as I get my green card. I pay more taxes in one year than 5 people earn. Why do we all forget that around 400 years ago, immigrants came to this country and made this country what it is today. What was immoral was them killing off the original inhabitants. This was a digression, dont want to start a war here. 

Edited by Vinny69

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are not an immigrant you are currently here on a temporary work visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 minutes ago, Vinny69 said:

Whats immoral about working in a certain profession and earning money ? I'm not going to be robbing people or commit crime as soon as I get my green card. I pay more taxes in one year than 5 people earn. Why do we all forget that around 400 years ago, immigrants came to this country and made this country what it is today. What was immoral was them killing off the original inhabitants. This was a digression, dont want to start a war here. 

I didn’t say it was immoral. It was in response to the post that you “should” be working in the area you are getting your green card sponsored for. I just pointed out the law allows you to do so. Please don’t ascribe all sorts of things to me and others when you have no clue about us. Isn’t it blindingly obvious that everyone on this forum is here is because either they or a close relative are an immigrant? Why on earth do you suppose we would be anti immigrant? Pointing out problems with what you plan to do etc doesn’t make anyone anti immigrant. 

And you don’t want  to get into a who pays more tax debate, trust me.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.