dasay

B2 Visa Denied for father - Philippines

37 posts in this topic

I’ve heard that what you think is “chit-chat” from COs, isn’t. It’s part of interview technique.

(at least, I read it on the internet, so it must be true.)

Edited by SusieQQQ

14 hours ago, geowrian said:

That wasn't the case with my wife and I in Manila last year. We had 11 minutes of questions and such with the "pre-interview" person (the time is recorded on the sheet you give to the CO), then about 5 minutes or so with the actual CO, who asked fewer relationship questions but was not anything severe or concerning. It seemed pretty typical and they had no problems with us, but it did not seem as if they made a decision beforehand...especially since Manila COs have no way to look at the material beforehand as you don't even know what CO you will get until you walk up to the window.

The CO picks up your file and then you are directed to the window for the interview.   There is a wait between interviews.  That is when I would think the file gets reviewed.

I have never heard of a pre interview, there is a point where  a embassy staff member usually a Filipino will take your paperwork and ask a couple of questions.

We were asked like 4 or maybe 5 question and done.  The CO even asked me do I have any questions for him.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

28 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

The CO picks up your file and then you are directed to the window for the interview.   There is a wait between interviews.  That is when I would think the file gets reviewed.

I have never heard of a pre interview, there is a point where  a embassy staff member usually a Filipino will take your paperwork and ask a couple of questions.

We were asked like 4 or maybe 5 question and done.  The CO even asked me do I have any questions for him.

That's not what happened on our visit. A few sets of people were called up together and we got whatever window was next by the time we stood up. They didn't check our paperwork before seating us or when going up to the line for the CO's window. We literally could have switched with the person next to us and nobody would have noticed. We were in line behind 2 other groups when we were placed at a window. When the person in front finished, we were next in line. When they finished, we walked straight up to the CO and gave her the paperwork, which is when she pulled up our file.

Yes, by "pre-interview" I am referring to the Filipino worker at the window who initially takes in your information and documents and such. She asked several questions about the relationship, where we traveled, where she worked, asked for an itinerary of her India trip, asked about meeting the family, etc. She also asked for photos and other documents together (and chuckled at our Halloween ones and Hokkaido one...her first experience with snow and all ;)). So it was still an interview...just separate from the one with the actual CO.

I don't doubt that at all. But I think that's more luck of the draw on who you get, circumstances, etc. There were several others who took less time than us, and still some who took longer. Nothing seemed unusual or worrisome....just basic chatter I would expect them to ask anybody really. They asked if we had questions for her (the CO) as well.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

25 minutes ago, geowrian said:

That's not what happened on our visit. A few sets of people were called up together and we got whatever window was next by the time we stood up. They didn't check our paperwork before seating us or when going up to the line for the CO's window. We literally could have switched with the person next to us and nobody would have noticed. We were in line behind 2 other groups when we were placed at a window. When the person in front finished, we were next in line. When they finished, we walked straight up to the CO and gave her the paperwork, which is when she pulled up our file.

Yes, by "pre-interview" I am referring to the Filipino worker at the window who initially takes in your information and documents and such. She asked several questions about the relationship, where we traveled, where she worked, asked for an itinerary of her India trip, asked about meeting the family, etc. She also asked for photos and other documents together (and chuckled at our Halloween ones and Hokkaido one...her first experience with snow and all ;)). So it was still an interview...just separate from the one with the actual CO.

I don't doubt that at all. But I think that's more luck of the draw on who you get, circumstances, etc. There were several others who took less time than us, and still some who took longer. Nothing seemed unusual or worrisome....just basic chatter I would expect them to ask anybody really. They asked if we had questions for her (the CO) as well.

That is interesting.  I have done two K1's interviews at Manila.  One back in 2008, back then you went into a room with the CO for the interview it was isolated and CO was still behind a glass.

My last one was 2015, We dropped the stuff off with pre screener, waited about 1.5 hours for our number to be called and did the interview.  It was like 4 or 5 questions and approved.   Since it was my second go around, I sit and watched and listened to a few tourist visa interviews, and mostly K1 interviews.  

I did notice from watching and ease dropping that I noticed a large number of interviews were asked to provide additional paperwork in order to get approved.

11 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

That is interesting.  I have done two K1's interviews at Manila.  One back in 2008, back then you went into a room with the CO for the interview it was isolated and CO was still behind a glass.

My last one was 2015, We dropped the stuff off with pre screener, waited about 1.5 hours for our number to be called and did the interview.  It was like 4 or 5 questions and approved.   Since it was my second go around, I sit and watched and listened to a few tourist visa interviews, and mostly K1 interviews.  

I did notice from watching and ease dropping that I noticed a large number of interviews were asked to provide additional paperwork in order to get approved.

Ah yes. It sounds like that has changed a little then. I verified the following with my wife, too (in case my memory was inaccurate):

The tourist visas and K-1 visas are not handled at the same set of windows now (at least in the early AM). We didn't get a number after the pre-screening...just a paper/small packet to give to the CO when we got there. Much like the pre-screening area, they sat us in rows of chairs. As a group went up to wait in line at a particular window, we played musical chairs to get to the front of the chair-line.  We were never referenced by a number and the girl organizing the seated people never looked at our papers or called any names.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

13 hours ago, geowrian said:

Ah yes. It sounds like that has changed a little then. I verified the following with my wife, too (in case my memory was inaccurate):

The tourist visas and K-1 visas are not handled at the same set of windows now (at least in the early AM). We didn't get a number after the pre-screening...just a paper/small packet to give to the CO when we got there. Much like the pre-screening area, they sat us in rows of chairs. As a group went up to wait in line at a particular window, we played musical chairs to get to the front of the chair-line.  We were never referenced by a number and the girl organizing the seated people never looked at our papers or called any names.

How many were in the group?

Did they have the chairs blocked off so you could use them while waiting in the group?

For us it was find a seat and sit, we changed seats a few times during the wait

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:17 AM, geowrian said:

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:48 AM, Chris Duffy said:

I have to agree with @geowrian on this as well because this was like how our interview went as well. We talk alittle bit with the Filipino interview chit chatted and he asked us some questions about the pictures like who were they with and where did we take them. Then when the we actually spoke with CO he asked a couple question of my wife and she responded back to him with a answer and I laughed really hard because of how she pronounced a word and she tried to do one of those couple love hits and the CO laughed at her doing that. Then my and him ended talking longer than he spoke to my wife.

• 1 month later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 2/23/2018 at 10:08 AM, dasay said:

Hi everyone! So my dad had his interview yesterday and he was denied. We couldn't understand why.

These are the questions they asked him:

CO: What is the purpose of your visit?

My dad: To visit my daughter

CO: What does your daughter do?

Dad: She is a Registered Nurse

CO: How long has she been working as a nurse?

Dad: Almost 1 year. 10 months to be exact. ( I passed my boards not too long ago).

CO: How did your daughter get to the US?

Dad: Through a K1 Fiancee Visa.  (My husbad and I met in europe)

CO: How long has she been in the US?

Dad: 4 years.

CO: Have you travelled out of the country before?

Dad: Yes. (Visited my sister in Dubai for 2 months)

CO: Another daughter? 

Dad: Yes.

CO: Unfortunately, I cant grant you a visa today. Try again next time.

What mistake did he do? I cant see anything wrong with his interview other than his denial. My dad has other 2 kids who are in college and highshool.

What do u think is the basis of his denial? Can he apply again in 2 weeks? We have a planned vacation at the end of March. (We dont usually go on vacation so this is a perfect time 👌). And his birthday is on May. Thats why we wanted him to stay 2 months. What can we do differently?

Hi! Did your parents re-apply already? 😊

Timeline
53 minutes ago, dasay said:

No not yet. Will try again this April.

Thanks for replying. 

If I may ask, how old is your dad?

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, dasay said:

Hi everyone! So my dad had his interview yesterday and he was denied. We couldn't understand why.

These are the questions they asked him:

CO: What is the purpose of your visit?

My dad: To visit my daughter

CO: What does your daughter do?

Dad: She is a Registered Nurse

CO: How long has she been working as a nurse?

Dad: Almost 1 year. 10 months to be exact. ( I passed my boards not too long ago).

CO: How did your daughter get to the US?

Dad: Through a K1 Fiancee Visa.  (My husbad and I met in europe)

CO: How long has she been in the US?

Dad: 4 years.

CO: Have you travelled out of the country before?

Dad: Yes. (Visited my sister in Dubai for 2 months)

CO: Another daughter? 

Dad: Yes.

CO: Unfortunately, I cant grant you a visa today. Try again next time.

What mistake did he do? I cant see anything wrong with his interview other than his denial. My dad has other 2 kids who are in college and highshool.

What do u think is the basis of his denial? Can he apply again in 2 weeks? We have a planned vacation at the end of March. (We dont usually go on vacation so this is a perfect time 👌). And his birthday is on May. Thats why we wanted him to stay 2 months. What can we do differently?

No mistake.  It happens.  He can try but if there are ties to the US (you) that seem stronger than ties to his home country they categorically deny.  Very regretful, but it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 3/27/2018 at 3:54 PM, dasay said:

No not yet. Will try again this April.

Hi Dasay. Did your dad have the 2nd interview already?

On 2/24/2018 at 2:41 AM, dasay said:

Do you think my dad can try again in 2 weeks? Or is that too early? 

What did your inlaws do differently the next time aside from being more relaxed and confident? I am trying to think what my dad can do differently next time if we decide for him to try again.

I think its maybe  because your dad's previous visit history in Dubai he had been staying there for 2 months right? so maybe they just dont want  your dad to overstay in the U.S this time around and they want to prevent the case of adjustment of status to soon cause your citizenship status is still pending right? maybe they looked this opportunity as trying to go to U.S just to 'adjust the status' and overstay so perhaps I suggest you wait until your citizenship is granted and wait for some cooling period then try applying the second time. just my point of opinion but I wish you and your dad the very best in the future

5 hours ago, apple21 said:

Hi Dasay. Did your dad have the 2nd interview already?

No, not yet. He needs his passport renewed because it expires in less than 6 months. We'll try again when he gets a new passport. Maybe around June.

1 hour ago, faith7772 said:

I think its maybe  because your dad's previous visit history in Dubai he had been staying there for 2 months right? so maybe they just dont want  your dad to overstay in the U.S this time around and they want to prevent the case of adjustment of status to soon cause your citizenship status is still pending right? maybe they looked this opportunity as trying to go to U.S just to 'adjust the status' and overstay so perhaps I suggest you wait until your citizenship is granted and wait for some cooling period then try applying the second time. just my point of opinion but I wish you and your dad the very best in the future

My dad had a 3-month tourist visa when he went to Dubai. He only stayed there for 2 months. 

I assumed that they thought of that, but after my citizenship is done, I am planning to get my parents over here but will go through consular processing in the Philippines. So even if my dad got approved with tourist visa I was not planning to "adjust his status" over here as I need him to be in the Philippines to process things together with my mom. But of course COs always think of the worse which is understandable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.