KevaB

Recently Denied US Visa

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Bahamas
Timeline

HI All,

I'm looking for some advise before I proceed with booking my family's vacation in August.

My husband and I decided we wanted to go on a cruise in November for his birthday and our anniversary.

We applied for our visas. During the interview process I informed the agent that I had my daughter in the US and was working for FCIB at the time and my insurance covered the birth.

He instructed that I bring the hospital receipt back for proof of payment. I only found out after I called for a receipt that my insurance did not cover the birth and I still had a bill from 2004.

I agreed to a payment plan with the hospital and have emails and receipts to prove that I'm paying off the bill.

So I forwarded those documents those emails and receipts to the embassy. Only to have the same officer call me to tell me I lied about paying the bill.

I tried to inform him that I answered him honestly and did not know that I had a bill from 13 years ago.

He denied me and my husbands visa because he said I lied during my interview.

My question is we are planning to take our three kids (one born in the US) to Orlando in August. Will I still be able to travel on my police record as we have been doing in the past.

We only applied for the Visa for the cruise which we had to cancel. The officer said he was putting notes in my file to CBP saying that I was denied my visa for lying during my interview.

I do not want to spend over 2k on tickets to be turned away for some jerk having a bad day and denying me my Visa. I plan to take all those same documents with me when we travel to prove that I am paying my bill and in good standing with the hospital.

Any input is useful.

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Presumably you are now seeking to use the pre clearance, I would expect with your record you are no longer eligible, your spouse and children should be OK.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

The officer's denial was justified. Leaving behind huge unpaid bills is a big no-no. It is good that you set up payment arrangements. But why are you calling the CO names? He did his job correctly. Had he not inquired about the bill you would have not made arrangements to pay it off. You were the one that failed to take care of your responsibility.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Considering the last visa refusal was less than a year ago, it seems very veyr unlikely you get approved now, unless you have paid off a substantial part of your bills.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

The CO did his job.  The burden is on you to show you qualify.  You failed.  That's on you, not him being a jerk or having a bad day.  You screwed up by leaving an unpaid bill behind.

The US Government advises all visitor visa applicant not to make non-refundable travel plans before getting visas.  If you want to spend 2k before getting visas, then that's also on you.  Don't buy tickets until you get visas.

Filed: Other Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Listen I was rightfully justified for calling him a jerk because he was very disrespectful towards me on the telephone. He had no right to speak to me the way he did. And to all calling me a liar if I was such a liar why would I agree to pay off the bill. How could you lie aboutsomething if you had no knowledge of it. I don't run from bills. I am a very hard working honest individual that was not aware that the insurance did not cover the bill. If you present your insurance information and they accept it why would I think the entire bill wouldn't be covered. Simple and honest human mistake. But thank you all for your input. I will just pay the bill off in full before I travel and produce my receipt 

Timeline

My guess is that he has come across many many occasions where people have been visiting the US and oops out pops a child and somehow the Hospital bill is never paid.

Difficult not to be cynical.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Never seen any government agency win any customer service awards.

Still need a visitor visa to travel to the US. Not a receipt.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Country:
Timeline

he can call you a liar because what you said at the interview was not actually true. even if you had thought you paid the bills the fact is that you did not and that disconnect is what let's him call you that. kudos for setting up the payment plan. I would assume when the debt has been paid it will be much easier to travel to the us.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
2 hours ago, KevaB said:

Listen I was rightfully justified for calling him a jerk because he was very disrespectful towards me on the telephone. He had no right to speak to me the way he did. And to all calling me a liar if I was such a liar why would I agree to pay off the bill. How could you lie aboutsomething if you had no knowledge of it. I don't run from bills. I am a very hard working honest individual that was not aware that the insurance did not cover the bill. If you present your insurance information and they accept it why would I think the entire bill wouldn't be covered. Simple and honest human mistake. But thank you all for your input. I will just pay the bill off in full before I travel and produce my receipt 

lets not start throwing the word RIGHT around...You LIED under oath. You are lucky no misrep was added to your denial. You agreed to pay the bill because now you have to, unless you don't wanna come here.

You don't run from your bills, so when you got out of hospital and walked away without them ever sending you a bill (even if insurance pays, you get a bill), who did you think was paying for that?

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, KevaB said:

I will just pay the bill off in full before I travel and produce my receipt 

I don't understand.  What kind of travel document are you going to use to lawfully enter the USA?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
14 hours ago, Boiler said:

Presumably you are now seeking to use the pre clearance, I would expect with your record you are no longer eligible, your spouse and children should be OK.

For those who may have missed my post.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 minutes ago, missileman said:

I don't understand.  What kind of travel document are you going to use to lawfully enter the USA?

We learn something new everyday.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1250/~/bahamian-citizen-document-requirements

Timeline after visa approval

Immigrant fee paid on ELIS - Jan 24th

POE - Jan 25th

Update on GC and SSN

(as of March 14th, 2014)

ELIS status - Closed (Card produced)

USCIS case check with receipt number (starts with IOE) - Card delivered in the mail

SSN - Received (Went to SSA location to apply for one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Process

N-400 package mailed in - Nov 7th

Payment posted on cc account - Nov 10th

NOA (hard copy) - Nov 14th

Biometrics - Dec 7th

In Line - Dec 27th

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.