20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello! 

I am getting married on the 23rd of September 2017, but I will need to go back to France to have surgery on the 17th of October. I found this on the I-131 instruction form  "Humanitarian reasons include travel to obtain medical treatment, attend funeral services for a family member, or visit an ailing relative. " Do you think I can get my Advance parole after an Infopass appointment? If so, how long does it take to get the AP? Do I need my NOA1 of my AOS?

Which leads me to other questions : How long does it take to get the marriage certificate? 

I have a very short timeframe :S Do you think I can have my marriage certificate, my NOA1 and my AP via infopass in 18 days???

Edited by Ben and Dorian

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ben and Dorian said:

Hello! 

I am getting married on the 23rd of September 2017, but I will need to go back to France to have surgery on the 17th. I found this on the I-131 instruction form  "Humanitarian reasons include travel to obtain medical treatment, attend funeral services for a family member, or visit an ailing relative. " Do you think I can get my Advance parole after an Infopass appointment? If so, how long does it take to get the AP? Do I need my NOA1 of my AOS?

Which leads me to other questions : How long does it take to get the marriage certificate? 

I have a very short timeframe :S Do you think I can have my marriage certificate, my NOA1 and my AP via infopass in 18 days???

I am a little confused, are you planning on moving up the wedding date prior to the 17th, or are you talking about October 17th?  

I cannot not speak for Seattle, but I know we had our marriage certificate the Monday after our wedding in Michigan.  I am not sure if surgery is a valid reason for an emergency AP unless it is a life threatening type of issue, but I think you might be able to get the NOA1 in time which I believe is required to try and get an emergency AP as why would they issue it unless they had some proof that the AOS had been filed.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Is the surgery not available here? Why would you need to travel to France? 

We got married in WA and we got our certificate right away. Don't let the minister or whoever is conducting the marriage organize the certificate or it could take weeks. Hand carry it from the wedding to the auditor's office and wait while they produce the marriage certificate. We were in and out of the auditor's office within 20 minutes. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

I am a little confused, are you planning on moving up the wedding date prior to the 17th, or are you talking about October 17th?  

I cannot not speak for Seattle, but I know we had our marriage certificate the Monday after our wedding in Michigan.  I am not sure if surgery is a valid reason for an emergency AP unless it is a life threatening type of issue, but I think you might be able to get the NOA1 in time which I believe is required to try and get an emergency AP as why would they issue it unless they had some proof that the AOS had been filed.

Good Luck!

Thanks! Yes sorry 17th of October. It's not life threatening but it's a thyroplasty that I need because I have a vocal cord paralysis.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, JFH said:

We got married in WA and we got our certificate right away. Don't let the minister or whoever is conducting the marriage organize the certificate or it could take weeks. Hand carry it from the wedding to the auditor's office and wait while they produce the marriage certificate. We were in and out of the auditor's office within 20 minutes. 

Thanks, I forgot to mention in my response that we also hand carried the signed marriage license to the local clerks office when we got our certificate the Monday after our Saturday wedding.

I agreed I am not sure that surgery will be a valid humanitarian reason for an expedited AP.  I hope the OP hasn't already bought their airline tickets.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JFH said:

Thanks that's reassuring for the marriage certificates. Well... I won't have the right insurance yet, and my entire medical history is at this hospital I had all my treatments there

Timeline
1 minute ago, mallafri76 said:

I don't know why people don't read up better on the visas and plan their move halfway around the world a little better. In your case, the CR-1 would have been a much better fit, since that would have allowed you to finish off any medical treatments in France before immigrating to the US and you'd also be allowed to travel straight away on it.

18 days sounds like an extremely short timeframe for sending in your AOS, getting NOA1, applying for AP and receiving the decision. I would reschedule the surgery.

Nope, planned everything very well. The surgery was just not supposed to happen that quickly, I learned on Tuesday that it'll be on the 17th of October.

3 hours ago, Ben and Dorian said:

Nope, planned everything very well. The surgery was just not supposed to happen that quickly, I learned on Tuesday that it'll be on the 17th of October.

Doesn't sound like it's a matter of life or death if you were prepared for it being much later - under normal circumstances K-1 people can't leave the USA for around 3 months after the marriage so if you "planned well" you weren't expecting the surgery to happen until next year. In that case you should be able to re-schedule? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

3 hours ago, JFH said:

Doesn't sound like it's a matter of life or death if you were prepared for it being much later - under normal circumstances K-1 people can't leave the USA for around 3 months after the marriage so if you "planned well" you weren't expecting the surgery to happen until next year. In that case you should be able to re-schedule? 

Where does the "matter of life or death" come from? If you actually never applied for an emergency AP for a similar reason don't bother commenting because it's really not helpful. So cut the sass. I lost my voice 6 months ago, this surgery is the only way I get my voice back. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Can you reschedule the surgery for a little later? So it gives you more time to prepare and get the Advance Parole. Dont even trust that USCIS is gonna work around your schedule. Its the other way around unfortunately. Don't leave US without the AP in your hand. Good luck with your surgery. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

guess we can't really answer this quesiton and the best we can say is go to infopass appointment with your proofs and let the CO decide

and good luck

sorry for this happening 

BTW as soon as you are married your husband should be able to add u to his health plan at work and that may make the decision to not allow as the surgery could then be done here 

and he does need to add u within the 30 days of marriage or wait until the next policy year to add u/ don't want to wait as having a baby here for instance is expensive

and our German neighbor here on work visa wanted to return to Germany to have a baby there as would be free /she was not able to get what u r asking for

Filed: Country:
Timeline

you are asking them to let you leave the country to have a non emergency surgery that you have scheduled for over a month and a half away. 

is there any reason the sugary could not be performed in the us? or delayed since you are already waiting 1.5 mobths?

your doctor could easily send your medical records to a local doctor to perform the sugary. and if you had to have it done by that doctor you could of held off coming to the us since the visa was valid for 6 months. you are trying to force uscis to do what you want and they do not work that way. emergency ap is for emergency events like funerals or going to go see a sick relative that took a turn for the worst. not to let you have non emergency surgery scheduled 1.5 months in advance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.