hsa12390

Question about extension letter

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

OK this may be a stupid question. Does the extension letter extend your green card 1 year from the date it was issued or the date you applied for I-751?? In other words, my husband's GC expired September 2016 (issued Sept 2014) and we applied for I-751 in July 2016 about 2 months before it expired. We got the extension letter a few days later extending it a year. Does the 1 year extension expire July 2017 (day we filed I-751) or September 2017 (day the GC expired)?

I want to know because I'm trying to figure out when I need to make an infopass appt in case we don't receive the 10 year GC before (we filed at VSC and it seems to be taking about a year)

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
10 minutes ago, hsa12390 said:

OK this may be a stupid question. Does the extension letter extend your green card 1 year from the date it was issued or the date you applied for I-751?? In other words, my husband's GC expired September 2016 (issued Sept 2014) and we applied for I-751 in July 2016 about 2 months before it expired. We got the extension letter a few days later extending it a year. Does the 1 year extension expire July 2017 (day we filed I-751) or September 2017 (day the GC expired)?

I want to know because I'm trying to figure out when I need to make an infopass appt in case we don't receive the 10 year GC before (we filed at VSC and it seems to be taking about a year)

Thanks

This is definitely not a stupid question.  It is actually one that many of us have been looking for.  I really hope someone has found the answer.  Keep us posted if you find it.  Thanks!

39 minutes ago, hsa12390 said:

Thanks

The extension letter does say your conditional resident status is extended for a period of  1 year (doesn't say it is extended up to a certain date based on when you apply I-751 etc.,).

If your conditional GC was issued in Sep 2014/expired in Sep 2016, it is extended by 1 year = up to Sep 2017 by this extension letter.  It can't be any clearer

USCIS - 50days

I-129F Application mailed: 10-July-2013; NOA1 (hard copy): 22-July-2013; NOA2: 29-Aug-2013 (text/email)

NVC: 52 days

NVC received: 15-Oct-2013; Got case #: 16-Oct-2013(phone); In Transit: 17-Oct-2013(CEAC website)

Consulate ~ Medical - POE: 139(+) days

Consulate received: 21-Oct-2013; Packet3 forms sent to Consulate: 29-Oct-2013; Packet4 received: 04-Nov-2013

Medicals completed on 28-Jan-2014; Interview on 10-March-2014; Visa in hand: 24-Apr-2014

GC: 114 days

POE:17-May-2014; Marriage: 19-May-2014 (Got marriage certificate on the same day at Sacramento, CA); I-693 on 20-May-2014

AOS/EAD/AP sent: 22-May-2014; Reached USCIS: 26-May-2014; NOA1: 02-June-2014

Received Biometrics notice: 07-June-2014 for Biometrics on 23-June-2014, 12:00 noon; Early Walk-in Biometrics successfully completed: 12-June-2014

USCIS website AoS status changed to "testing & Interview" : 30-June-2014; EAD/AP Status "Card in production": 04-Aug-2014; USCIS website updated with interview date as 8-Sep-2014 on: 6-Aug-2014.

Received EAD/AP Combo card in mail: 11-Aug-2014

AoS Interview: 8-Sep-2014; Result: APPROVED; USCIS status changed to "card in production"; Received GC by mail: 16-Sep-2014

RoC:

Applied I-751: 14-June-16; NoA: 17-June-16; Letter received on: 22-June-16

Biometrics notice received on 30-Jun-16 ; Biometrics: 12-July-16;

Received RFE dated 04-Aug-17 on 09-Aug-2017; asked house lease or deed, utility bills if applicable, birth cert of children born to this marriage;

Responded on 15-Aug-2017; USCIS received response on 16:Aug-17; Approved: 13-Sep-17; Case Status to "New Card is mailed": 18-Sep-17; Card received in mail: 21-Sep-2017

N-400

Applied online: 12-Nov-2017; Biometrics: 06-Dec-2017; Received interview letter on 09-Oct-18; Interview at SFO: 06-Nov-2018; Approved; Oath Scheduled on 05-Dec-2018; postponed to 16-Jan2019 because of Former President Sr. Bush's funeral; Oath completed on 16-Jan-2019; Applied for US Passport (expedited) on 18-Jan-2019; received Passport : 29-Jan-2019; received NC:01-Feb-2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My answer is it extends the green card by one year and the state of Georgia agrees with that.  The reason I say is when my wife received her one year extension letter she had to get her Georgia drivers license renewed. The drivers license office looked at her green card and the extension letter and gave her a new licence that expired one year from the green card expiration date.  

You could also try to call USCIS and get a tier 2 officer and ask them but watch out what answers you get on the phone.  From what I understand you can request the info pass within 30 days prior to the expired date of your extension letter.  We were just approved for ROC on 2/28/17 and were waiting for the green card.  The extension letter/green card expires on 4/2/17.  We were worried the ten year green card would not arrive prior to 4/2/17 and my wife's license was about to expire.  We had the info pass appointment yesterday and got the 551 stamp with zero problems.  Guess what the green card arrived today!

Just my two cents

God bless

John

Timeline
10 minutes ago, JohnE said:

My answer is it extends the green card by one year and the state of Georgia agrees with that.  The reason I say is when my wife received her one year extension letter she had to get her Georgia drivers license renewed. The drivers license office looked at her green card and the extension letter and gave her a new licence that expired one year from the green card expiration date.  

You could also try to call USCIS and get a tier 2 officer and ask them but watch out what answers you get on the phone.  From what I understand you can request the info pass within 30 days prior to the expired date of your extension letter.  We were just approved for ROC on 2/28/17 and were waiting for the green card.  The extension letter/green card expires on 4/2/17.  We were worried the ten year green card would not arrive prior to 4/2/17 and my wife's license was about to expire.  We had the info pass appointment yesterday and got the 551 stamp with zero problems.  Guess what the green card arrived today!

Just my two cents

God bless

John

Congrats on your approval!!

8 minutes ago, neilsqueen said:

You know, it's ignorant answers like this that make people hesitant to ask questions on here.  Why is it necessary to make someone feel like a jerk because they are not clear on an issue?  Are you that perfect that you know EVERYTHING without any doubts?  Have you ever been nervous about a VERY IMPORTANT subject and possibly question your own understanding?  I feel sorry for you and anyone else that lives in your perfect world.  Please, if you can't be sensitive, don't say anything at all!

Hi neilsqueen,

Thanks for your response even to my ignorant answer. I understand that we all tend to be over reactive/too sensitive on everything especially while this waiting game seem to be endless!. I said "I understand" & I really do because I am in the same boat. Anyways I am reminded of an interesting posting I recently read in a social media as below.

"Once a teacher wrote:

1X9 = 10, 2X9=18, 3X9=27, 4X9=36, 5X9=45, 6X9=54, 7X9=63, 8X9=72, 9X9=81, 10X9=90 and so on

All the students started  laughing. The teacher concluded the class as: "you all laughed/ridiculed the first wrong answer never appreciated the 9 right answers and that is exactly how the world works!"

Quite interesting, isn't?

USCIS - 50days

I-129F Application mailed: 10-July-2013; NOA1 (hard copy): 22-July-2013; NOA2: 29-Aug-2013 (text/email)

NVC: 52 days

NVC received: 15-Oct-2013; Got case #: 16-Oct-2013(phone); In Transit: 17-Oct-2013(CEAC website)

Consulate ~ Medical - POE: 139(+) days

Consulate received: 21-Oct-2013; Packet3 forms sent to Consulate: 29-Oct-2013; Packet4 received: 04-Nov-2013

Medicals completed on 28-Jan-2014; Interview on 10-March-2014; Visa in hand: 24-Apr-2014

GC: 114 days

POE:17-May-2014; Marriage: 19-May-2014 (Got marriage certificate on the same day at Sacramento, CA); I-693 on 20-May-2014

AOS/EAD/AP sent: 22-May-2014; Reached USCIS: 26-May-2014; NOA1: 02-June-2014

Received Biometrics notice: 07-June-2014 for Biometrics on 23-June-2014, 12:00 noon; Early Walk-in Biometrics successfully completed: 12-June-2014

USCIS website AoS status changed to "testing & Interview" : 30-June-2014; EAD/AP Status "Card in production": 04-Aug-2014; USCIS website updated with interview date as 8-Sep-2014 on: 6-Aug-2014.

Received EAD/AP Combo card in mail: 11-Aug-2014

AoS Interview: 8-Sep-2014; Result: APPROVED; USCIS status changed to "card in production"; Received GC by mail: 16-Sep-2014

RoC:

Applied I-751: 14-June-16; NoA: 17-June-16; Letter received on: 22-June-16

Biometrics notice received on 30-Jun-16 ; Biometrics: 12-July-16;

Received RFE dated 04-Aug-17 on 09-Aug-2017; asked house lease or deed, utility bills if applicable, birth cert of children born to this marriage;

Responded on 15-Aug-2017; USCIS received response on 16:Aug-17; Approved: 13-Sep-17; Case Status to "New Card is mailed": 18-Sep-17; Card received in mail: 21-Sep-2017

N-400

Applied online: 12-Nov-2017; Biometrics: 06-Dec-2017; Received interview letter on 09-Oct-18; Interview at SFO: 06-Nov-2018; Approved; Oath Scheduled on 05-Dec-2018; postponed to 16-Jan2019 because of Former President Sr. Bush's funeral; Oath completed on 16-Jan-2019; Applied for US Passport (expedited) on 18-Jan-2019; received Passport : 29-Jan-2019; received NC:01-Feb-2019

Timeline
1 minute ago, rshree said:

Hi neilsqueen,

Thanks for your response even to my ignorant answer. I understand that we all tend to be over reactive/too sensitive on everything especially while this waiting game seem to be endless!. I said "I understand" & I really do because I am in the same boat. Anyways I am reminded of an interesting posting I recently read in a social media as below.

"Once a teacher wrote:

1X9 = 10, 2X9=18, 3X9=27, 4X9=36, 5X9=45, 6X9=54, 7X9=63, 8X9=72, 9X9=81, 10X9=90 and so on

All the students started  laughing. The teacher concluded the class as: "you all laughed/ridiculed the first wrong answer never appreciated the 9 right answers and that is exactly how the world works!"

Quite interesting, isn't?

Not at all.  I still find your answer offensive.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The issue here is that the answer to this question has not always been applied consistently.  I truly believe that the I-797C letter extends your conditional status for a period of one year - so if your GC expires on July 16, 2016, you have until July 16, 2017.

But various DMVs across the US have interpreted the letter differently.  And USCIS has never come out and clarified the answer.

It's also obvious that ROCs have not, historically, taken so long for this question to come into play as much as it is right now.

Our paranoia and our panic lead us to explanations that are not really true - but we worry about them anyway.

Also - if every ROC extension letter holder would BELIEVE that is the GC Date that is extended and not the Letter date, and would stand up for that date when questioned by DMV, HR, or other employees, we'd get a lot further.

Good luck to ALL of us.  VSC is currently taking about 15 months for the GC.  We applied April 26th.  I expect my spouse's Green Card on May 28th-ish.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
52 minutes ago, Sukie said:

The issue here is that the answer to this question has not always been applied consistently.  I truly believe that the I-797C letter extends your conditional status for a period of one year - so if your GC expires on July 16, 2016, you have until July 16, 2017.

But various DMVs across the US have interpreted the letter differently.  And USCIS has never come out and clarified the answer.

It's also obvious that ROCs have not, historically, taken so long for this question to come into play as much as it is right now.

Our paranoia and our panic lead us to explanations that are not really true - but we worry about them anyway.

Also - if every ROC extension letter holder would BELIEVE that is the GC Date that is extended and not the Letter date, and would stand up for that date when questioned by DMV, HR, or other employees, we'd get a lot further.

Good luck to ALL of us.  VSC is currently taking about 15 months for the GC.  We applied April 26th.  I expect my spouse's Green Card on May 28th-ish.

Sukie in NY

Well said Sukie! Thank you!

I was told the letter is valid from the date your green card expires for a further year.

Also, My passport was expired when I went to get my I-551 stamp. Instead they attached a passport photo of myself to a document and stamped it. The extention became effective from the date it was stamped for one year.

Edited by QueenComley

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

15 hours ago, Sukie said:

Sukie in NY

Agreed.  My husband's driver's license is only valid until the one year anniversary of the letter, not the green card extension.  So I plan on sending him to an info pass a few weeks before the letter's one year anniversary to ask for a stamp or SOMETHING that proves he's here legally so he can get another driver's license.  He also travels abroad frequently and he's already had trouble at airline counters with his expired green card.  Add to that an "expired" letter?

*UGH*

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

The letter extends the conditional GC for one year.  At the end of that year, the letter extension expires and if you did not receive your permanent (10 year GC card), you must request another extension letter, or in lieu of that have a stamp on your passport.

Archie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.