sjoefl01

Sister in law needs helper

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My sister in law is LPR. She is 84 and has the early stages of memory loss. She is diabetic and is having a hard time with her meds. My wife and I are in Florida and her sister is in California. She doesn't really think she could make the trip her breathing is not great. The wife works and at some point she will need to get back.

They have a step sister in Colombia that would love to come and help. She is really poor and I am guessing it would be difficult for her to get a visa. Any ideas? What kind of visa would that even be?

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If she became a USC she could sponsor a sibling, realistically she would be dead before the visa number became current so pretty pointless.

Perhaps move back to Columbia could be solution.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I didn't think she can petition for a step-sister, only a sister because you need to prove that you have one common parent.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

There is no visa for the step sister, as she could not take care of the LPR sister on a tourist visa (it is considered working), and won't get a working visa to do so. As mentioned, a sibling immigration visa is an option as long as there is a biological tie between a US citizen sister and the one in Colombia, but the waiting time for that is 13 years, so for care=taking it seems unusable.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Step sister should try applying for a visiting visa if she really just wants to assist caring for the ill step-sister, however no compensation will be allowed with visitors visa.

My grandmother used to travel to the U.S every six months to care for my aunt's kids because of the convenience of having free childcare 24/7 (Aunt was a teacher & full time student studing for her Masters).

Timeline

It doesn't matter if there is compensation or not, it's illegal to work on a visitor visa.

Your grandmother was working illegally by providing free child care for your aunt.

No, she was not! She was not employed.

She was visiting and taking care of her grandchildren. May she RIP.

Immigration was well aware when she applied and she answered truthfully when questioned about the frequency of her trips upon each entry. She also brought the kids back to her homeland during the summer.She explained it all to them. She could've been petitioned for, but she refused and opted to visit her children & grandchildren at her will.

Guess, grandma should've visited and observed her grandchildren from a distance because caring for them would be considered "working"

Timeline

Step sister should try applying for a visiting visa if she really just wants to assist caring for the ill step-sister, however no compensation will be allowed with visitors visa.

My grandmother used to travel to the U.S every six months to care for my aunt's kids because of the convenience of having free childcare 24/7 (Aunt was a teacher & full time student studing for her Masters).

Suggest you read what you wrote.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Suggest you read what you wrote.

Why wouldn't I have read it prior to posting?

Like I said It was free, hence no compensation, no employment as they were her daughter and grandchildren.

I DO NOT work for the USCIS nor am I an Immigration attorney(Sounds like you do or you are).

I just know what happened in my grandmother's situation over 30 yrs ago and stated exactly so.

One should always be honest, but especially with law enforcement including Immigration. Like I stated before she made them aware she didn't have any intent on living here, she just wanted to visit and care for her daughter & grandchildren. The decision to approve such was at the sole discretion of USCIS. I enjoyed of time she visited, thanks to USCIS!.

So now you can get back to assisting OP, as I did not ask you or anyone a question.

Edited by SB&RH

Timeline

USCIS was not at\round 30 years ago, she broke the terms of her visitor status and got away with, as no doubt millions have done since.

Not sure how advising the OP to break the terms of a visitor visa helps?

Timeline

USCIS was not at\round 30 years ago, she broke the terms of her visitor status and got away with, as no doubt millions have done since.

Not sure how advising the OP to break the terms of a visitor visa helps?

USCIS or NIS whichever floats your boat.

There's a difference between having a hidden agenda & disclosing the intent to immigration.

FYI, immigration prefers when one discloses intent as it could have serious consequences.

Have a blessed weekend!

Edited by SB&RH

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is illegal to work on a tourist visa, even unpaid, as this takes paid work away from a US citizen who may otherwise be hired as a nanny/ caregiver/ health aid. This sort of work is common and accepted in some cultures, but it is still illegal if done by a foreigner without the correct visa for this.

****** Mod note: The VisaJourney TOS prohibits the support, endorsement or suggestion of illegal immigration activity. The discussion on working, paid or unpaid, on a tourist visa stops here. ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

That is still considered working illegally.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

The whole babysitting argument comes up every now and again and it is most definitely illegal for an immigrant to do it on a visitor visa.

Look at what happened to this teen last year.

www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2015/08/babysitter_versus_the_border_p.html

She was supposed to spend the summer here and was denied entry because the border officers found out she was going to babysit her cousin.

This website wouldn't have it against its term of service if it was legal.

Just because your grandmother got away with it doesn't mean it was right. You may get offended but it is what it is. If you want to believe it is ok that is fine for you but advising others can get them in trouble.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.