155 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

First of all thanks to each and every person who replied and gave precious advises in my other post.Some how I convinced myself to give some more time to this relationship and not take a decision so early.I will be eligible to remove my conditions on the Conditional Green Card after 2 years and according to the research I did on this website I will have to submit extensive evidences.Now the biggest issue is that my wife is the biggest procrastinator I have ever come across in my life. She always wait until the very last moment to do things which are concerned with me. She does not want to add me to her employee Health Medical Insurance Plan-she says currently she is paying $30 and if she adds me she will have to pay $200 which I don't understand why. She says "we cannot have a Joint Vehicle Insurance because If one of us gets into a wreck then the other person's Insurance Premium will go up". She says she doesn't care what Immigration Officer wants to see.According to her,US Citizens don't do all this.She says she will tell the Immigration Officer on his/her face and ask him/her if he/she has a Joint Vehicle and Medical Insurance with his/her spouse.She is very reluctant to help me learn how to drive on her car,she says I will have to pay her 24 thousand dollars if I wreck her car while learning how to drive and doesn't wanna talk about the Immigration process and what we need to do to collect evidence.She says we will have a Joint Bank Account for name sake.Basically she does not give a damn about all this.I have talked to her and have tried to make her understand the importance of all this but there wasn't any use.I am added to her Apartment Lease and that is it.I need advice from people what else evidences should I start collecting and I want to know if what ever my wife is telling me is true.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

• She is telling you the truth about the employee health insurance. Adding just one person does increase the premium by a significant amount. Don't ask me why that's the case, it just is.
  • If she doesn't want joint vehicle insurance, that's her choice, like the employee health insurance, the vehicle insurance premium will also increase if you add another driver. If there is an interview, she spouts off to the interviewer at the peril of the outcome of your case.
  • Not every couple has a joint bank account. It's not necessary if you have other items to show how a couple is living as a married couple.

All true, although, on a more practical level, if they are combining finances then both (1) and (2) may still end up being cheaper than getting separate policies and (3) would also make sense, but I get the feeling that may not be the case in this marriage (I feel like I should add that I'm not judging here so I'm not misunderstood -- there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to marital finances).

Timeline

• She is telling you the truth about the employee health insurance. Adding just one person does increase the premium by a significant amount. Don't ask me why that's the case, it just is.
  • If she doesn't want joint vehicle insurance, that's her choice, like the employee health insurance, the vehicle insurance premium will also increase if you add another driver. If there is an interview, she spouts off to the interviewer at the peril of the outcome of your case.
  • Not every couple has a joint bank account. It's not necessary if you have other items to show how a couple is living as a married couple.

Thanks a lot.I will do my separate Insurances and I hope they will be enough because the address will be same on which we are living in.

All true, although, on a more practical level, if they are combining finances then both (1) and (2) may still end up being cheaper than getting separate policies and (3) would also make sense, but I get the feeling that may not be the case in this marriage (I feel like I should add that I'm not judging here so I'm not misunderstood -- there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to marital finances).

thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Open a second bank account account and add your wife to it. Even if she never uses it that will help.

How about life insurance? Does she have you listed as a beneficiary and get yourself some and have her listed as your beneficiary.

As for car insurance usually adding a spouse lowers the rate as you won't actually be the primary driver and there is a married discount with some companies. Now this only applies if there is just the one car, she should call and ask.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Car insurance is cheaper for married couple even with 2 cars. Before divorce we use to pay $620 for 6 month for 2 cars, now as a single person I pay $580 / 6 mo for 1 car.

Timeline

Open a second bank account account and add your wife to it. Even if she never uses it that will help.

How about life insurance? Does she have you listed as a beneficiary and get yourself some and have her listed as your beneficiary.

As for car insurance usually adding a spouse lowers the rate as you won't actually be the primary driver and there is a married discount with some companies. Now this only applies if there is just the one car, she should call and ask.

Hi first of all thanks a lot.I will open a bank account and add her to it,right now I am an authorized user on her credit card.I don't think she will want to take a life insurance and add me as a beneficiary...basically she doesn't want to spend even a single penny for all this.I will take a life insurance and add her as a beneficiary.I am still confused.Please help me understand.If both of us have our own cars and we take a joint car insurance and suppose I get into a wreck with my car,will the insurance company increase her insurance premium in that case?I know they will increase mine.

Timeline

Car insurance is cheaper for married couple even with 2 cars. Before divorce we use to pay $620 for 6 month for 2 cars, now as a single person I pay $580 / 6 mo for 1 car.

thanks a lot.My wife says if I get into a wreck then the insurance company will make her pay more on her premiums(increase her premium).She says why she needs to pay more if I get into a wreck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That is what insurance is for and obviously if you or her get into a wreck you will pay more.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I think your wife needs to talk to an insurance agent and clarify all this questions. Each accident is different and there is no insurance increase on no-fault accident. Second the increase may be very insignificant and still you will be saving money.

Also if your wife has benefits at work, she may have group life insurance at work. She can add you there as a beneficiary. Also as a spouse you are the beneficiary on her pension plan, unless you sign spousal consent that you refuse. By the law she must add your name on her pensionsion plan.

Timeline

I think your wife needs to talk to an insurance agent and clarify all this questions. Each accident is different and there is no insurance increase on no-fault accident. Second the increase may be very insignificant and still you will be saving money.

Also if your wife has benefits at work, she may have group life insurance at work. She can add you there as a beneficiary. Also as a spouse you are the beneficiary on her pension plan, unless you sign spousal consent that you refuse. By the law she must add your name on her pensionsion plan.

I am 99.9% sure she hasn't added me to her pension plan otherwise she would tell me and make me feel like she has done a big favor for me.I will ask her if she can add me to her Life Insurance at work.She doesn't wanna change her name and I am fine with it.I just hope I will be able to remove conditions without any problems.

My husband's health insurance through his work costs him $50 a month - to add me would be an additional $300 a month!!!! (CRAZY BUT TRUE). Your wife wasn't lying on that one believe me!

Edited by QueenComley

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Do you have a job? If yes, you can buy your own health insurance through your work which is cheaper.

Then buy your own car and car insurance.

And since when life insurance has to list spouse as beneficiary?

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

Then she had no business getting married. Marriage is the joining of 2 lives and if she had no intention of doing that then she should have thought about that before saying I do. I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

Why would you have to pay her money if you wreck her car? That's what car insurance is for. She's wrong....yes USCs do do all of this. It's called marriage. Collect whatever you can. Does she care about you at all? Does she want you to stay? Good Luck.

To be honest,she is the most typical woman I have ever encountered.I talked to her, before our wedding and asked her if she has a slightest doubt or think I am not the guy then I will simple go back to my country and will not blame her for anything and simply disappear from her life forever but she said no she wants to marry me and loves me a lot and more than anyone in this world and wants to spend life with me.I am so confused,if a person claims to love someone so much than why their actions are different from their world.I thought it's American Culture and that's how it is in America but it's not true.When you love someone so much then your actions are in accordance with your words and not the other way round.She is simply more worried about her money than anything else.We almost do not have any intimate relationship even though we got married 2 months ago.She is way too snappy and grumpy.I talked to her mother about this and her mother started giving me lecture about all the things I should do when I told her I am already doing whatever she has mentioned.Wife claims shes always stressed because of her work when she works only 3 days a week for 12 hrs each shift.She is all happy and laughing and making jokes when her family is around and once it is me and her shes back to silent and snappy.I know I am a man and I have to take the charge but there is somethings which I cannot simply do without her help I am new to America and I need her help to learn about things but she is of almost no help.Does not want to cook,does not want to do dishes and cleans the house once in 2-3 weeks.I am ready and want to help her.I cook food and do the dishes all the time and I wanna help her for laundry and cleaning but she says she wants things according to herself and that she is a perfectionist.I walk her dog daily and organize the house but still complains.What else a man can do to help a wife???

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.