You&Me

Desperate to find work!

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

ok - so that's 12, and we're sneaking into Thursday.

[this isn't the next step]

you posting on careerbuilder.com ?

Amongst other websites, yes. 20 sent by the way, and I have an interview this Monday.

My husband's first job was in Walmart. It sucked but after literally applying for hundreds of jobs in his field no one would hire him with no US experience in his field. After 5 months of searching he started in Walmart. He worked there for 5 months and applied for an internship in his field, which he got. It was a paid internship(small hourly wage) and after 4 months they hired him permanently. He now has a great job with a great salary and very good benefits. So if given the chance an internship is a great idea.

I have an interview to work at a local Pizzeria. So yeah, maybe not the dream job, but I am sooo excited I actually got called for an interview! Plus their pizza is to die for LOL

I think after I can show some work experience in the US, regardless of the field, I might have an easier time, just like in your husband's case.

In the meantime, with a bit extra income , I can start thinking about taking some classes and getting some certificates as well. I am really soooo desperate for a job, I just want to move forward. Things are a lot harder here than I thought... not having my independence is slowly chipping away at me and I have some really bad days.cray5ol.gif

I have had people tell me maybe I should lower my standards...my standards are pretty much at the bottom, minimum wage, I don't ask for more for now. I have applied for jobs anywhere and everywhere, from dog-sitting to waitressing, housekeeping, etc, etc. If it's out there I'm applying for it! dancin5hr.gif

My father-in-law and sister-in-law sometimes make me feel bad, saying that I can do better than being a waitress... They can come across as snobs sometimes...There's nothing wrong with being a waitress, I could care less. All that matters to me is how much having another income will improve our life together, and my spirits!!

Edited by You&Me

Oct 2009 Met online
Freb 2010 Proposal!!tongue.png
January 14th 2011 Visit to the US
May 22nd 2011 I-129F sent!
August 22nd 2011 NO2 received!!
September 2011 Stephan meets the parents smile.png
December 6th 2011- Interview date set for December 15th (WOOT!)

December 30 2011 APPROVED!!!!

January 4th 2012- Visa received smile.png

June 11 2012 Entered US

August 13 2012 heart.gif MARRIED heart.gif

Adjustment of Status

June 19th 2013- Mailed AOS/AP/EA

July 2nd 2013- NOA1 received

July 8th 2013- Appointment notice for biometrics

July 19th 2013- Biometrics appointment

July 29th 2013- USCIS status from Initial Review to Request for Evidence (I-485)

July 31st 2013- RFE received in the mail

August 9th 2013- RFE reply sent by mail

Augist 29th 2013- I-765 status changed from Initial Review to Card Production

September 9th 2013- EAD/AP card received by mail

October 21st 2013- GC APPROVED!

November 4th 2013- GC received

September 26th 2015- Mailed I-751

October 1st 2015- NOA1 received

October 19th 2015- Appointment notice for biometrics

October 30th 2015- Biometrics appointment

Darnell - that is a great idea.

Also if OP - if you do well volunteering you can the main person you've worked for at the Chamber of Commerce for a brief reference when applying for jobs. That can make a big difference - a lot of people hiring are much more comfortable contacting a US based reference than one overseas especially if there is a language barrier for them.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

...you can [ask] ....

wink.png

Lynne - it's way more than an IDEA -

it's a roadmap that works.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

This is an excellent idea.

There are 4 chambers of commerce relatively close I can go to (I do live in a relatively small town). Today I went to the two closest to me and did as you suggested. There are several events still to come this month, and I managed to sign up for a couple as a volunteer. I will work on the business cards as well tomorrow. I had no idea I could volunteer for these events...not only is it a great way to get myself out there as a prospect employee, but a great way to get more involved in the community as well, which I think is extremely important since I am in a completely new environment and am still not familiar with a lot of the culture aspects of the area!!

I plan on going to the other two next Monday. They're a bit further away and I need my husband to drive me, Monday is his only weekday off.

Also... Montana High School Rodeo State Finals...how could i possibly pass on that? dancin5hr.gif

On a more serious note... There are some great events this month, I can clearly see how an idea like this works.

Edited by You&Me

Oct 2009 Met online
Freb 2010 Proposal!!tongue.png
January 14th 2011 Visit to the US
May 22nd 2011 I-129F sent!
August 22nd 2011 NO2 received!!
September 2011 Stephan meets the parents smile.png
December 6th 2011- Interview date set for December 15th (WOOT!)

December 30 2011 APPROVED!!!!

January 4th 2012- Visa received smile.png

June 11 2012 Entered US

August 13 2012 heart.gif MARRIED heart.gif

Adjustment of Status

June 19th 2013- Mailed AOS/AP/EA

July 2nd 2013- NOA1 received

July 8th 2013- Appointment notice for biometrics

July 19th 2013- Biometrics appointment

July 29th 2013- USCIS status from Initial Review to Request for Evidence (I-485)

July 31st 2013- RFE received in the mail

August 9th 2013- RFE reply sent by mail

Augist 29th 2013- I-765 status changed from Initial Review to Card Production

September 9th 2013- EAD/AP card received by mail

October 21st 2013- GC APPROVED!

November 4th 2013- GC received

September 26th 2015- Mailed I-751

October 1st 2015- NOA1 received

October 19th 2015- Appointment notice for biometrics

October 30th 2015- Biometrics appointment

Timeline

!= idea !

instead, is a roadmap to success (repeated for emphasis).

Still, I made you slog through submitting 20 resumes, but that was on-purpose.

Apologies - I did give a 'wrong metric' earlier.

70 percent of workers in the USA work for small businesses.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Amongst other websites, yes. 20 sent by the way, and I have an interview this Monday.

I have an interview to work at a local Pizzeria. So yeah, maybe not the dream job, but I am sooo excited I actually got called for an interview! Plus their pizza is to die for LOL

I think after I can show some work experience in the US, regardless of the field, I might have an easier time, just like in your husband's case.

In the meantime, with a bit extra income , I can start thinking about taking some classes and getting some certificates as well. I am really soooo desperate for a job, I just want to move forward. Things are a lot harder here than I thought... not having my independence is slowly chipping away at me and I have some really bad days.cray5ol.gif

I have had people tell me maybe I should lower my standards...my standards are pretty much at the bottom, minimum wage, I don't ask for more for now. I have applied for jobs anywhere and everywhere, from dog-sitting to waitressing, housekeeping, etc, etc. If it's out there I'm applying for it! dancin5hr.gif

My father-in-law and sister-in-law sometimes make me feel bad, saying that I can do better than being a waitress... They can come across as snobs sometimes...There's nothing wrong with being a waitress, I could care less. All that matters to me is how much having another income will improve our life together, and my spirits!!

My husband was the same way, he applied for anything and everything...he just wanted a job. His bachelors degree from another country didn't matter much, everyone wanted US experience. Like you my husband is very fluent in English, reading, writing and speaking. ...that will definitely work in your favor. Sounds like you are really out there pounding the pavement. Try not to get discouraged, like I said in my previous post it took my husband 5 months just to get a job in Walmart after sending literally hundreds and hundreds of resumes and having countless interviews ar everywhere from Burger King to engineering positions and everything in between. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

OK - thanks for reporting the 20 tick.

[that wasn't to be a btw comment from you].

AND NOW, the reveal

On Google maps, at http://maps.google.com

put in your address

Then, in the search bar right above, key in

'Chamber of Commerce'

Then make a list of the chambers in a 30 mile radius, getting the phone numbers and addresses.

Now -

1. call up each chamber, ask for their office hours and the name of the president and vice president

2. go to each chamber office in person (this is very important - not waste time use telephone) and talk with the secretary or officer there, tell them you want to volunteer at their events. ASK FOR A CALENDAR OF EVENTS.

3. sign up for 2 events at each chamber, to volunteer

4. Go to each event with a stack of business cards / name cards that have your contact info and the words 'SEEKING JOB IN YOUR COMPANY' printed on the front.

5. Do the volunteer work. You will ALSO meet small business owners and high-power sales people in that locale. Be friendly, courteous, kind.

Why to do all of this? Small Business owners comprise 70 percent of the hiring folk, and rarely hire someone they not know. Going TWICE is important, expect no results on the first time, expect some results AFTER the 2nd time. Small Business Owners hire people that they know, so after they know you, and know you are seeking a job, they will listen to you when you talk to them about your quest for employment

and

They will notice you, as you are a volunteer. [item 4 is really important, I suggest you purchase 500 to 1000 at your local office depot/max]

The Small Business Owners usually join the Chamber of Commerce, and

when they see a new face volunteering they will want to talk with you. However, remember, that's not the focus of the event, that's not the focus of THEIR presence there,

so you will be doing the volunteer job, mostly.

FACE TIME in front of a business owner in a non-hiring-interview event is much less stressful, and

you get to learn a lot about the businesses that are IN your area, meeting the business owners,

and being friendly.

Repeat for Emphasis - Small Business Owners hire the people they know.

This will take you about a month, so be prepared to be for the long haul.

MUST go to at least 8 Chamber of Commerce Offices in your area, unless you live in some rural place where YOUR TOWN is the only town in a 30 mile radius.

Why 30 miles? someone has to drive you (yes? no?) and it's important that it's not so inconvenient to them.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

[apologies if delay on my side, my wife hit dirt this week and we've been busy, but I owed you a followup]

[post-scriptum - to anyone else reading this - you can do these steps, also. Suggest this research on a PC, remove the handphone battery]

Hi Darrel, this is so great! I happen to stumble this suggestion of yours and can't help but to be amazed. At least it's up to me if i would like to do this and pull this through. Thanks so much!

Timeline

of course it's up to you. tis a bit of work, regardless.. wink.png [and yer welcome, much]

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Is there any type of International Institute in your area? I volunteer at one in Ohio and mentioned my husband and they said they would definitely have a volunteer opening ready for him when he arrives!

If nothing exists in your area, try VolunteerMatch.com and look for other opportunities. Once you start getting US references, you are already making your situation more favorable.

Also in regards to your resume, there are so many different ways to present your skills. A few years ago when I was struggling to find a full time myself after finishing college, I found listing my previous jobs in chronological order seemed to be hurting me as it showed large gaps between jobs. I adjusted it, focusing on my skills instead and starting getting phone calls.

I really empathize with you. Job searching is an awful burden made even more complicated by the fact that you are a new immigrant.

When I was unemployed, it helped to take breaks from job searching and immerse myself in some hobbies. That way I didn't fixate as much on my jobless state and how awful it made me feel.

Best of luck and try to be happy!

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello ,

Legally able to work in the USA i have the same problem .I find job and the company want hire me but I don't have reference here to US ( family ---friends is not reference) .So despite my motivation i cant working crying.gifno0pb.gif

What this solution ???? and i need work but for have reference i must have my first job here ......ohmy.png

Thanks for u help and all information.....

Hello ,

Legally able to work in the USA i have the same problem .I find job and the company want hire me but I don't have reference here to US ( family ---friends is not reference) .So despite my motivation i cant working crying.gifno0pb.gif

What this solution ???? and i need work but for have reference i must have my first job here ......ohmy.png

Thanks for u help and all information.....

Can't you give your ex-companies in France as reference?

I gave my ex-company in Singapore as reference. The US company actually did call up my Singapore manager to inquire about my work ethnics, performance.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Hi there!

I was on the same boat few months ago. It really makes you feel awful not being able to be productive and even though you try it is so depressing ending an interview and knowing the "we will call you" means it won't happened. I had to change jobs because my husband's work required him to move to other cities but my experience tells me the best thing you can do is take any job, yes whatever, them move to a better one. Once you start having at least one job, employers would be more prone to call you. I found two of my jobs on craiglist and one of them is my current job. It's a waitress job, not really what I want to do in life but so far it works for me. I go to school and even have money left to save. Something that I recommend is to look for financial aid, you might qualified and you can take some classes. I got a grant for school and I can't complain it keeps me busy. Hang in there... yes I even cried because I failed so many interviews, then I realized I was not the only one.

24/06/2010 NOA1

01/07/2010 Touch

15/11/2010 Touch

17/11/2010 RFE

06/12/2010 Touch

07/12/2010 Touch

10/12/2010 RFE (re-issue)

04/01 2011 RFE response review

13/01/2011 NOA2 YAY!!!!

27/01/2011 NVC

01/02/2011 Consulate received

03/02/2011 Packet 3 received. Im not sure why they called P3 though it's just instructions

04/02/2011 Packet 3 send

17/02/2011 Packet 4 received

22/02/2011 INTERVIEW! and the best part is my visa was approved!

12/03/2011 POE Seattle int Airport.. OMG after surviving the worse japanese earthquake ever

25/03/2011 Wedding day

AOS

Day 1 AOS filed

Day 26 NOA1 email

8/17/2011 Green Card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey ,

Thank you for your answer. Also I think it depends the place where we live ( state) .I live to Vermont the ugliest place , cold , this is far from the scene of US .Nothing to do , except some store ,,, oh yeah snowing everyday .......Pray that my husband have transfer to other state.

There are city it easier to find a job and despite my diploma Master 1 of Law it difficult to get hired .Problem is my English it not perfect yet .....So I cant deposit the employment demand everywhere.

Difficult advance if you cant be hire and improve his English, and to pass this license driving this disaster here .

I have drive in France 17 years old and struggling to pass the test and that relates driving a car (to do this by hand on American road) unreachable driving school they never answer phone they not call me back too.disaster sleep.pngmad.gif

How you made cuz ​​it difficult for advance ......

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I came from Canada and was making $50K per year as an administrator.

I was "hoping" to get an office job and I expected a huge cut back w/ the income I was used to. But, I think no matter where you immigrate from, you will have to start from the bottom.

My first job in the US was a housekeeper at minimum wage. It was a huge blow to my ego. But, I was so desperate to work, at that point, I didn't care. Hang in there. Learn from all the jobs. for example, I looked at the job as "collecting references" so I can find a better job.

Edited by coldwatersurf

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.